IndiaDivine.org

mind

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ohm ! Sivasaravanabhava ! i hv tried to put down the views expressed by the learned members on the subject "MIND". It is really a wonderful learning for all of us : The aim of a student of spirituality is to merge the mind into the Brahman as it were in the start and overcome the cycles of birth and death. At the start the soul and the mind were single entities. They were merged into one and hence perfect

bliss and realization of God. No soul is confused or inexperienced. Soul is an enlightened and all knowing. It is the mind that plays its mischief by providing an veneer of limitation. You are originally unlimited and perfect. Later you take on limitations and become the mind." Mind is the culprit for the illusionary halo of importance it

creates around mundane things in our day to day activities. It is the biggest thief . the veil of gunas – Rajas, Tamas and Sattva finds its place between the mind & self. Mind is a very powerful tool. Instead of us using it, it is using us. It is as if the mind has taken us over. we're NOT human beings who are trying to attain a spiritual existence. Instead, we are already SPIRITUAL BEINGS who have chosen to experience Life in a human dimension! In this sense, we're already God. But at some point we forget this and become a victim of our own illusion (maaya) and think this human existence is what we really are! To overcome this illusion and to realize this falsity requires the presence of a guru. One gets a guru by the grace of God . No one can tell you if you have found your Guru. Only you can tell that. Guru appropriately guides the disciple in the right path , clearing the dark clouds of ignorance to unveil the Ultimate truth , the reality – God realization. the GURU need not know you by your name and your address. The faith and devotion of the disciple towards a manasika Guru can move mountains. When the devotion is unstinted and unshakable, then the god, guru and disciple merge unto themselves. There is wrong to make distinction among

them. a Guru or a True Master does not need anything from us. It is said that the love a Guru has for his or her disciple is stronger than the love a mother has for her child. I really cherish this type of exchanges which is very useful. I thank all of u. ---V. Hariharan .

Guest guest

Dear Hariharan Thanks!!! That's a great start to the day! Very productive and helpful effort by you. You have nicely consolidated all the important pointers. I should take a printout and keep it for regular reference at a prominent place. Patriciaharan hari <harimay43 wrote: Ohm ! Sivasaravanabhava ! i hv tried to put down the views expressed by the learned members on the subject "MIND". It is really a wonderful learning for all of us : The aim of a student of spirituality is to merge the mind into the Brahman as it were in the start and overcome the cycles of

birth and death. At the start the soul and the mind were single entities. They were merged into one and hence perfect bliss and realization of God. No soul is confused or inexperienced. Soul is an enlightened and all knowing. It is the mind that plays its mischief by providing an veneer of

limitation. You are originally unlimited and perfect. Later you take on limitations and become the mind." Mind is the culprit for the illusionary halo of importance it creates around mundane things in our day to day activities. It is the biggest thief . the veil of gunas – Rajas, Tamas and Sattva finds its place between the mind & self. Mind is a very powerful tool. Instead of us using it, it is using us. It is as if the mind has taken us over. we're NOT human beings who are trying to attain a spiritual existence. Instead, we are already SPIRITUAL BEINGS who have chosen to experience Life in a human dimension! In this sense, we're already God. But at some point we forget this and become a victim of our own illusion (maaya) and think this human existence is what we really are! To overcome this illusion and to realize this falsity requires the presence of a guru. One gets a guru by the grace of God . No one can tell you if you have found your Guru. Only you can tell that. Guru appropriately guides the disciple in the right path , clearing the dark clouds of ignorance to unveil the Ultimate truth , the reality – God realization. the GURU need not know you by your name and your address. The faith and devotion of the disciple towards a manasika Guru can move mountains. When the devotion is unstinted and unshakable, then the god, guru and disciple merge unto themselves. There is wrong to make distinction among them. a Guru or a True Master does not need anything from us. It is said that the love a Guru has for his or her disciple

is stronger than the love a mother has for her child. I really cherish this type of exchanges which is very useful. I thank all of u. ---V. Hariharan .

Brings words and photos together (easily) with PhotoMail - it's free and works with Mail.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Murugan devotees..

It feels great to be back with you all after the vacation. I was very very happy to browse through all the messages and all were enlightening. Thanks to Lalitha Ganesh, Patricia, Haran, Santhosh, Sivramakrishnan Mr. Krishnan and all those who contributed.

I was fortunate enough to be at Palani fulfilling Kavadi this thaipusam in Feb. I dont know what made him have so much sympathy and grace on me. He gave me an unexpected extra Darshan. I was let in the Q again. You all may be aware how they (officials) keep pushing the devotees in Palani clearing the place. After a week's journey by walk we are allowed to stand only for few seconds for Darshan. Probably He listened to what I was thinking. Though it was very very clear that I have not done enough to win His grace, it is 100% the grace of Kaliyuga Varathan that even the unqualified sinner like me are treated by Him royally.

Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara was the chorus that was reaching the skies throughout the 22 day trip to and fro. Undoubtedly it is a great experience year after year to rub shoulders with great devotees of Murugan, listen to them, take part in mass bhakthi and enjoy all the hymns and songs sung in His glories. Both the country type songs as well as those like Thiruppugazh were spiritually uplifting. Usually the good effects of fasting and taking part in such pilgrimage last for atleast a month or two even after we come back to normal life. It feels so good and body feels fresh and light. Probably in devotional activities we should be drwaing the energy one drwas in meditation and Yoga. It seems very easy in bhakthi esp. in group or in pilgrimage. However I should admit that it is becoming difficult to practise such bhakthi in busy day to day life. All prayers are being done with the mind busy going through urgent things to do for the day. I understand people who do meditation also have to face the same and win over.

While returning, as usual we visit Kundrakudi. Shanmukha Nathan's Alangaram is excellent in Kundrakkudi and I felt it was not exaggerated when some one says one should have hundreds of thousands of eyes to see the beauty of The Lord. The entire hill, they say, is like a peacock and the steps resemble the feathers. Kundrakkudi also is sung by Arunagirinathar iN thiruppugazh and Adi Sankara has stayed here for a long time and prayed to Lord Murugan. He could not go away from the place as he was drawn so much towards the Lord here. He has composed some hymns which are engraved on the wall. Unlike other temples, here all the Navagrahas face only one direction which is facing the sanctum sanctorum of Lord Shanmukha nathan. Yes! If Lord is standing showering His grace who will mind their duties, be it even the Navagrahas :)

Coming back to the topic of Guru I understand he manifests as Guru throuh all the beings around us including the birds and beasts to the blade of grass. If we observe subtly he conveys some thing through each and every thing. And when we become ready (or qualified in our level of devotion) He is said to manifest as personal Guru. I strongly believe that me joining the dhandapani group is by the will of dhandapani to assist me in my search for Him. This is my satsang in search for our beloved beautiful six faced Arumuga Swamy who stands majestically and beautifully in Palani. Even with loin cloth, shaved head and decorated with beads of rudraksha the beauty, radiance and grace unlimitedly radiates from Him. Its a wonder how it is expressed in a piece of paper image. If not for His will a piece of paper cannot convey so many things. By His grace everyone of you are acting as my Guru. I also understand we will very clearly know and understand when the correct Guru for us has appeared in front of us. Its my strong belief and undestanding that there will never be an iota of doubt when that happens (that is when the Guru appears). Before that happens we slowly increase ourselves in our qualifications. From a stage where we simply believe about God we come to a stage we start to slowly understand, experience and feel the presence of God. The Guru will help us become one with Him. Until that he should help us keep on reciting His names and enjoy. I want to recite " Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara !!! " when that happens.

Just a piece of interesting information before concluding. During the pilgrimage when hundreds of people are assembled and there is so much of noise, if they want to make an announcement, immediately the person says in lod voice " Vetrivel Muruganukku .... " then the entire crowd says " Arohara " and turn their attention to the person who uttered. Then he makes the announcements. Usually this is done only when commencing or completing a song in chorus bhajan. Wasnt it a nice idea instead of the usual " May I have Your Attention Please " ?

Have Lots of Bhakthi.

May All Glories be to Velayutha Swami !

May All Glories be to Arumuga Swami !

May All Glories be to Palaniappa Swami !

Mayil Nadamiduvon Malaradi Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

You have very neatly explained. short & sweet. But have we have not read & heard this type of

advice many times ? Agreed, we must get a Guru for guidance. Where is he ? how to find a right one ?

The definition of a guru is defined by PARAMACHARIAL ( Kanchi Munivar , Mahaperiaval) as follows :

He is the one who is enlightened internally by either wisdom or experience or God's grace . He removes darkness (ignorance) of his disciple. His " upadesam " which works as a link between him and disciple, invokes the disciple to follow a right direction; upadesam is called " Deekshai " .

I have also heard that one need not try to go in search of a Guru…..on the contrary Guru will find his disciple….can this happen ?

Even if one can gets a Guru, I suppose you will agree with me that following the true Guru sishya tredition is difficult these days….e.g. staying with him & serving him most of the time.

I am extremely fortunate to join the Thirupugazh classes of Guruji Ragavan. Due to this I am able to chant Lord Murugan's thiru namangal atleast few miutes every day. Can I assume that I have found a Guru in Guruji Ragavan ? The interesting thing is he may not even know me, as I am one of thousands of his followers. Please advice.

Ohm! Sivasaravanabhava !

V. Hariharan

Guest guest

Thank you, Mr Meyappan, for the most uplifting message. Reading about your trip and the spiritually charged atmosphere, I could get some experience of what you went thru'. How much more you would have soaked in in person!! Maybe I'll write more later, cos I too am caught up in chores deadlines (even though its Sunday morning!!). But ever since I defined chores as Kriya-Shakti, they have become very do-able, and not a "curse"! Re the Bhakti, dont worry. Even if you have it in your heart to do worship, but are chained by your duties and deadlines, a silent prayer to God (that you'd love to perform His Worship, but His Will has given you duties that eat into your Worship time), its amazing how God will make it very easy for your to express your Bhakti in a material way. I found this very interesting. Maybe you will too. Patricia S Meyyappan

<smeyyappan wrote: MURUGA SARANAM Dear Murugan devotees.. It feels great to be back with you all after the vacation. I was very very happy to browse through all the messages and all were enlightening. Thanks to Lalitha Ganesh, Patricia, Haran, Santhosh, Sivramakrishnan Mr. Krishnan and all those who contributed. I was fortunate enough to be at Palani fulfilling Kavadi this thaipusam in Feb. I dont know what made him have so much sympathy and grace on me. He gave me an unexpected extra Darshan. I was let in the Q again. You all may be aware how they (officials) keep pushing the devotees in Palani clearing the place. After a week's journey by walk we are allowed to stand only for few seconds for Darshan. Probably He listened to

what I was thinking. Though it was very very clear that I have not done enough to win His grace, it is 100% the grace of Kaliyuga Varathan that even the unqualified sinner like me are treated by Him royally. Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara was the chorus that was reaching the skies throughout the 22 day trip to and fro. Undoubtedly it is a great experience year after year to rub shoulders with great devotees of Murugan, listen to them, take part in mass bhakthi and enjoy all the hymns and songs sung in His glories. Both the country type songs as well as those like Thiruppugazh were spiritually uplifting. Usually the good effects of fasting and taking part in such pilgrimage last for atleast a month or two even after we come back to normal life. It feels so good and body feels fresh and light. Probably in devotional activities we should be drwaing the energy one drwas in meditation and Yoga. It seems very easy in bhakthi

esp. in group or in pilgrimage. However I should admit that it is becoming difficult to practise such bhakthi in busy day to day life. All prayers are being done with the mind busy going through urgent things to do for the day. I understand people who do meditation also have to face the same and win over. While returning, as usual we visit Kundrakudi. Shanmukha Nathan's Alangaram is excellent in Kundrakkudi and I felt it was not exaggerated when some one says one should have hundreds of thousands of eyes to see the beauty of The Lord. The entire hill, they say, is like a peacock and the steps resemble the feathers. Kundrakkudi also is sung by Arunagirinathar iN thiruppugazh and Adi Sankara has stayed here for a long time and prayed to Lord Murugan. He could not go away from the place as he was drawn so much towards the Lord here. He has composed some hymns which are engraved on the wall. Unlike other temples, here all the Navagrahas

face only one direction which is facing the sanctum sanctorum of Lord Shanmukha nathan. Yes! If Lord is standing showering His grace who will mind their duties, be it even the Navagrahas :) Coming back to the topic of Guru I understand he manifests as Guru throuh all the beings around us including the birds and beasts to the blade of grass. If we observe subtly he conveys some thing through each and every thing. And when we become ready (or qualified in our level of devotion) He is said to manifest as personal Guru. I strongly believe that me joining the dhandapani group is by the will of dhandapani to assist me in my search for Him. This is my satsang in search for our beloved beautiful six faced Arumuga Swamy who stands majestically and beautifully in Palani. Even with loin cloth, shaved head and decorated with beads of rudraksha the beauty, radiance and grace unlimitedly radiates from Him. Its a wonder how it is expressed in a piece of

paper image. If not for His will a piece of paper cannot convey so many things. By His grace everyone of you are acting as my Guru. I also understand we will very clearly know and understand when the correct Guru for us has appeared in front of us. Its my strong belief and undestanding that there will never be an iota of doubt when that happens (that is when the Guru appears). Before that happens we slowly increase ourselves in our qualifications. From a stage where we simply believe about God we come to a stage we start to slowly understand, experience and feel the presence of God. The Guru will help us become one with Him. Until that he should help us keep on reciting His names and enjoy. I want to recite "Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara !!!" when that happens. Just a piece of interesting information before concluding. During the pilgrimage when hundreds of people are assembled and there is so much of noise, if they want to make an

announcement, immediately the person says in lod voice "Vetrivel Muruganukku ...." then the entire crowd says "Arohara" and turn their attention to the person who uttered. Then he makes the announcements. Usually this is done only when commencing or completing a song in chorus bhajan. Wasnt it a nice idea instead of the usual "May I have Your Attention Please"? Have Lots of Bhakthi. May All Glories be to Velayutha Swami ! May All Glories be to Arumuga Swami ! May All Glories be to Palaniappa Swami ! Mayil Nadamiduvon Malaradi Saranam With Best Regards Meyyappan S You have very neatly explained. short & sweet. But have we have not read & heard this type of advice many times ? Agreed, we must get a Guru for guidance. Where is he ? how to find a right one ? The definition of a guru is defined by PARAMACHARIAL ( Kanchi Munivar , Mahaperiaval) as follows : He is the one who is enlightened internally by either wisdom or experience or God's grace . He removes darkness (ignorance) of his disciple. His "upadesam" which works as

a link between him and disciple, invokes the disciple to follow a right direction; upadesam is called "Deekshai". I have also heard that one need not try to go in search of a Guru…..on the contrary Guru will find his disciple….can this happen ? Even if one can gets a Guru, I suppose you will agree with me that following the true Guru sishya tredition is difficult these days….e.g. staying with him & serving him most of the time. I am extremely fortunate to join the Thirupugazh classes of Guruji Ragavan. Due to this I am able to chant Lord Murugan's thiru namangal atleast few miutes every day. Can I assume that I have found a Guru in Guruji Ragavan ? The interesting thing is he may not even know me, as I am one of thousands of his followers. Please advice. Ohm! Sivasaravanabhava ! V. Hariharan

Relax. Mail virus scanning helps detect nasty viruses!

Guest guest

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Patricia..

Thanks for the mail.

But ever since I defined chores as Kriya-Shakti, they have become very do-able, and not a " curse " !

I want to practise this. If we are able to do every thing in dedication to Him then I understand every moment whether good or bad or joy or sorrow would all become enjoyable in life.

Re the Bhakti, dont worry. Even if you have it in your heart to do worship, but are chained by your duties and deadlines, a silent prayer to God (that you'd love to perform His Worship, but His Will has given you duties that eat into your Worship time), its amazing how God will make it very easy for your to express your Bhakti in a material way.

Again I cannot disagree on this. If we are able to naturally undertake it as His will and try to fulfil all the duties (personal as well as professional), then there is nothing like that. Because Bhakthi is expressed even in material ways like duties to fulfil. Thanks again.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

Guest guest

Dear Meyyappan,

It is great to hear from you. Thanks for the account of your Palani

trip. I consider myself fortunate just being able to read such an

account, such is the significance of Palani.

>> Undoubtedly it is a great experience year after

>> year to rub shoulders with great devotees of Murugan,

>> listen to them, take part in mass bhakthi and

>> enjoy all the hymns and songs sung in His glories.

Reading the above made me think that maybe this is exactly what we do

on this forum: rubbing shoulders - virtually though - with great

Murugan devotees.

Om Subrahmanyaya Namaha!

Santhosh

dhandapani , " S Meyyappan " <smeyyappan wrote:

>

> MURUGA SARANAM

>

> Dear Murugan devotees..

>

> It feels great to be back with you all after the vacation. I was

very very

> happy to browse through all the messages and all were enlightening.

Thanks

> to Lalitha Ganesh, Patricia, Haran, Santhosh, Sivramakrishnan Mr.

Krishnan

> and all those who contributed.

>

> I was fortunate enough to be at Palani fulfilling Kavadi this

thaipusam in

> Feb. I dont know what made him have so much sympathy and grace on me. He

> gave me an unexpected extra Darshan. I was let in the Q again. You

all may

> be aware how they (officials) keep pushing the devotees in Palani

clearing

> the place. After a week's journey by walk we are allowed to stand

only for

> few seconds for Darshan. Probably He listened to what I was

thinking. Though

> it was very very clear that I have not done enough to win His grace,

it is

> 100% the grace of Kaliyuga Varathan that even the unqualified sinner

like me

> are treated by Him royally.

>

> Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara was the chorus that was reaching the skies

> throughout the 22 day trip to and fro. Undoubtedly it is a great

experience

> year after year to rub shoulders with great devotees of Murugan,

listen to

> them, take part in mass bhakthi and enjoy all the hymns and songs

sung in

> His glories. Both the country type songs as well as those like

Thiruppugazh

> were spiritually uplifting. Usually the good effects of fasting and

taking

> part in such pilgrimage last for atleast a month or two even after

we come

> back to normal life. It feels so good and body feels fresh and light.

> Probably in devotional activities we should be drwaing the energy

one drwas

> in meditation and Yoga. It seems very easy in bhakthi esp. in group

or in

> pilgrimage. However I should admit that it is becoming difficult to

practise

> such bhakthi in busy day to day life. All prayers are being done

with the

> mind busy going through urgent things to do for the day. I

understand people

> who do meditation also have to face the same and win over.

>

> While returning, as usual we visit Kundrakudi. Shanmukha Nathan's

Alangaram

> is excellent in Kundrakkudi and I felt it was not exaggerated when

some one

> says one should have hundreds of thousands of eyes to see the beauty

of The

> Lord. The entire hill, they say, is like a peacock and the steps

resemble

> the feathers. Kundrakkudi also is sung by Arunagirinathar iN

thiruppugazh

> and Adi Sankara has stayed here for a long time and prayed to Lord

Murugan.

> He could not go away from the place as he was drawn so much towards

the Lord

> here. He has composed some hymns which are engraved on the wall. Unlike

> other temples, here all the Navagrahas face only one direction which is

> facing the sanctum sanctorum of Lord Shanmukha nathan. Yes! If Lord is

> standing showering His grace who will mind their duties, be it even the

> Navagrahas :)

>

> Coming back to the topic of Guru I understand he manifests as Guru

throuh

> all the beings around us including the birds and beasts to the blade of

> grass. If we observe subtly he conveys some thing through each and every

> thing. And when we become ready (or qualified in our level of

devotion) He

> is said to manifest as personal Guru. I strongly believe that me

joining the

> dhandapani group is by the will of dhandapani to assist me in my

search for

> Him. This is my satsang in search for our beloved beautiful six faced

> Arumuga Swamy who stands majestically and beautifully in Palani.

Even with

> loin cloth, shaved head and decorated with beads of rudraksha the

beauty,

> radiance and grace unlimitedly radiates from Him. Its a wonder how it is

> expressed in a piece of paper image. If not for His will a piece of

paper

> cannot convey so many things. By His grace everyone of you are

acting as my

> Guru. I also understand we will very clearly know and understand

when the

> correct Guru for us has appeared in front of us. Its my strong

belief and

> undestanding that there will never be an iota of doubt when that happens

> (that is when the Guru appears). Before that happens we slowly increase

> ourselves in our qualifications. From a stage where we simply

believe about

> God we come to a stage we start to slowly understand, experience and

feel

> the presence of God. The Guru will help us become one with Him.

Until that

> he should help us keep on reciting His names and enjoy. I want to recite

> " Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara !!! " when that happens.

>

> Just a piece of interesting information before concluding. During the

> pilgrimage when hundreds of people are assembled and there is so much of

> noise, if they want to make an announcement, immediately the person

says in

> lod voice " Vetrivel Muruganukku .... " then the entire crowd says

" Arohara "

> and turn their attention to the person who uttered. Then he makes the

> announcements. Usually this is done only when commencing or completing a

> song in chorus bhajan. Wasnt it a nice idea instead of the usual

" May I have

> Your Attention Please " ?

>

> Have Lots of Bhakthi.

>

> May All Glories be to Velayutha Swami !

> May All Glories be to Arumuga Swami !

> May All Glories be to Palaniappa Swami !

>

> Mayil Nadamiduvon Malaradi Saranam

>

> With Best Regards

> Meyyappan S

>

>

>

>

> > You have very neatly explained. short & sweet. But have we have

not read

> > & heard this type of advice many times ? Agreed, we must get a

Guru for

> > guidance. Where is he ? how to find a right one ?

> >

> > The definition of a guru is defined by PARAMACHARIAL ( Kanchi

Munivar ,

> > Mahaperiaval) as follows : He is the one who is enlightened

internally by

> > either wisdom or experience or God's grace . He removes darkness

(ignorance)

> > of his disciple. His " upadesam " which works as a link between him and

> > disciple, invokes the disciple to follow a right direction;

upadesam is

> > called " Deekshai " .

> >

> > I have also heard that one need not try to go in search of a

Guru�..on the

> > contrary Guru will find his disciple�.can this happen ? Even if

one can

> > gets a Guru, I suppose you will agree with me that following the

true Guru

> > sishya tredition is difficult these days�.e.g. staying with him &

serving

> > him most of the time.

> >

> > I am extremely fortunate to join the Thirupugazh classes of Guruji

> > Ragavan. Due to this I am able to chant Lord Murugan's thiru namangal

> > atleast few miutes every day. Can I assume that I have found a Guru in

> > Guruji Ragavan ? The interesting thing is he may not even know

me, as I

> > am one of thousands of his followers. Please advice.

> >

> > Ohm! Sivasaravanabhava !

> >

> > V. Hariharan

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

MURUGA SARANAM

I share your views Mr. Santosh. Since the time I joined this group I felt this is the Satsangh Viralimalai Iraivan has arranged for me. No other mails give me the fulfilling feeling of reading mails from Great Murugan Devotees. I remain eternally thankful for His will and grace.

May All Glories be to Shanmukha Nathan, The Lord of Kundrakkudi !!!

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

Reading the above made me think that maybe this is exactly what we doon this forum: rubbing shoulders - virtually though - with greatMurugan devotees. Om Subrahmanyaya Namaha!Santhosh