was as if the sword was passing through empty space! Only then was

Gorakhnath, the Siddha, ready to acknowledge the superiority of

Prabhulinga, the Jnani. Thus his pride was humbled, and he prayed to

Prabhulinga, to teach him the truth. Prabhulinga then expounded Brahma

vidya to Gorakhnath as follows: " Gorakhnath, do not think your body to

be your Self. Seek the In-dweller (the cave-dweller)and you will once

for all rid yourself of the disease of birth and death. The cave is

your heart only, the In-dweller thereof is called God and I am That. "

(*) Feign – Verb – Pretend to be affected by (a feeling, state, or injury).

Guest guest

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Members..

This story again reminds me what every practiced religion and the

major sects of Hinduism insist - that is Bhakthi to be the most

efficient and recommended way over other methods. Once a disciple

tells Sri Ramakrishna Parama Hamsa, " Master, Master: I have mastered

the art of walking on the surface of water. It took three years of

intense efforts and concentration to do this " . For this the Master

says, " You fool. You can pay a nickel to get across the river and any

boatman would do the job. Instead of wasting the three years in this

you could have tried to find who you are and know the Self " .

I have heard many learned scholars saying that, by concentration and

efforts you can acquire unbelievable skills, as the siddhas do and

even elevate yourself to the other planes of existence (other lokas as

referred by mythology) and interact with them. But what is the use of

that? In what way does it help you in realizing the Self or in other

words in uniting with the Lord? Realising Him will only be possible

when He reveals Himself. For that total surrender to Him is essential.

Then only by His grace we can realize Him. The easiest and the most

efficient way to do it is Bhakthi or Devotion which in other words

unconditional love towards Him.

Who else can be So Gracious than He Himself - " Lord Murugan " . Let us

surrender ourselves to His Lotus Feet and He will take care of the

rest.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On 8/6/06, S Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote:

> MURUGA SARANAM

>

> Dear Murugan devotees..

>

> Please find the post below. Like in last mail I have tried my best

> locate uncommon words in my knowledge and added their meaning at the

> end. Please do not hesitate to let us know if anything else could be

> done to make it more helpful.

>

> MURUGA SARANAM

>

> With Best Regards

> Meyyappan S

>

>

>

> Here goes the Story #2

>

> ========================================================

> THE JNANI AND THE SIDDHA

>

> [One day, while speaking about hatha yoga and related subjects, Sri

> Bhagavan narrated the following story from Prabhulinga lila,a

> well-known Tamil work by the Sage Sivaprakasa Swamigal.]

>

> PRABHULINGA,THE FOUNDER of the Lingayat sect (now mostly prevalent in

> Karnataka State only),was touring the land for the uplift of the

> spiritually minded. He met the famous Yogi Gorakhnath in Gokarnam (a

> famous place of Hindu pilgrimage on the west coast of India).The yogi

> welcomed him respectfully, but was however, proudly conscious of his

> own extraordinary powers over the elements. He considered his guest

> more or less his equal, expressed pleasure at meeting him, and upon

> greeting him, asked who he was.

>

> Prabhulinga replied that only the One who had destroyed his ego, root

> and branch,and who had thereby realised himself could know who he was,

> and wondered what he could say to a non-entity, a person, who clung to

> his perishable body. Gorakhnath, who identified his body as himself,

> replied, " That person alone who has gained the immortality of the

> body, by the favour of Siva and consumption of gulikas (medicinal

> herbs),will never die. Therefore one who had not gained such

> immortality dies. "

>

> Prabhulinga remarked that knowledge consists in realizing one's Self

> and not in immortalising the body and went on to explain at length

> that the body cannot be the real Self. However, Gorakhnath could not

> be persuaded and would not budge an inch from his ground; he proudly

> challenged Prabhulinga to try cutting his body, handing him a long,

> bright and sharp sword. When the sword struck the body of Gorakhnath,

> it caused him no injury but was itself blunted. Prabhulinga feigned

> (*) surprise, and asked Gorakhnath to try cutting his body. At first

> Gorakhnath hesitated to do so saying that Prabhulinga would die. But

> when Prabhulinga insisted, he took up the sword and tried to cut his

> body. To the great surprise of Gorakhnath, the sword passed easily

> through the body of Prabhulinga without affecting it in any way. It

> was as if the sword was passing through empty space! Only then was

> Gorakhnath, the Siddha, ready to acknowledge the superiority of

> Prabhulinga, the Jnani. Thus his pride was humbled, and he prayed to

> Prabhulinga, to teach him the truth. Prabhulinga then expounded Brahma

> vidya to Gorakhnath as follows: " Gorakhnath, do not think your body to

> be your Self. Seek the In-dweller (the cave-dweller)and you will once

> for all rid yourself of the disease of birth and death. The cave is

> your heart only, the In-dweller thereof is called God and I am That. "

>

> (*) Feign – Verb – Pretend to be affected by (a feeling, state, or injury).

>

Guest guest

Ohm! Sivasaravanabhava ! My Dear Meyyappan Sir, u r doing a magnificent service by giving us soul lifting articles. may Lord Murugan give u all the very best for this type of service. Thanking u once again ----v. hariharan S Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote: MURUGA SARANAMDear Members..This story again reminds me what every practiced religion and themajor sects of Hinduism insist - that is Bhakthi to be the mostefficient and recommended way over other methods. Once a discipletells Sri Ramakrishna Parama Hamsa, "Master, Master: I have masteredthe art of walking on the surface of water. It took three years ofintense efforts and concentration to do this". For this the Mastersays, "You

fool. You can pay a nickel to get across the river and anyboatman would do the job. Instead of wasting the three years in thisyou could have tried to find who you are and know the Self".I have heard many learned scholars saying that, by concentration andefforts you can acquire unbelievable skills, as the siddhas do andeven elevate yourself to the other planes of existence (other lokas asreferred by mythology) and interact with them. But what is the use ofthat? In what way does it help you in realizing the Self or in otherwords in uniting with the Lord? Realising Him will only be possiblewhen He reveals Himself. For that total surrender to Him is essential.Then only by His grace we can realize Him. The easiest and the mostefficient way to do it is Bhakthi or Devotion which in other wordsunconditional love towards Him.Who else can be So Gracious than He Himself - "Lord Murugan". Let ussurrender ourselves to His

Lotus Feet and He will take care of therest.MURUGA SARANAMWith Best RegardsMeyyappan SOn 8/6/06, S Meyyappan wrote:> MURUGA SARANAM>> Dear Murugan devotees..>> Please find the post below. Like in last mail I have tried my best> locate uncommon words in my knowledge and added their meaning at the> end. Please do not hesitate to let us know if anything else could be> done to make it more helpful.>> MURUGA SARANAM>> With Best Regards> Meyyappan S>>>> Here goes the Story #2>> ========================================================> THE JNANI AND THE SIDDHA>> [One day, while speaking about hatha yoga and related subjects, Sri> Bhagavan narrated the following story from Prabhulinga lila,a> well-known Tamil work by the Sage Sivaprakasa

Swamigal.]>> PRABHULINGA,THE FOUNDER of the Lingayat sect (now mostly prevalent in> Karnataka State only),was touring the land for the uplift of the> spiritually minded. He met the famous Yogi Gorakhnath in Gokarnam (a> famous place of Hindu pilgrimage on the west coast of India).The yogi> welcomed him respectfully, but was however, proudly conscious of his> own extraordinary powers over the elements. He considered his guest> more or less his equal, expressed pleasure at meeting him, and upon> greeting him, asked who he was.>> Prabhulinga replied that only the One who had destroyed his ego, root> and branch,and who had thereby realised himself could know who he was,> and wondered what he could say to a non-entity, a person, who clung to> his perishable body. Gorakhnath, who identified his body as himself,> replied, "That person alone who has gained the immortality of

the> body, by the favour of Siva and consumption of gulikas (medicinal> herbs),will never die. Therefore one who had not gained such> immortality dies.">> Prabhulinga remarked that knowledge consists in realizing one's Self> and not in immortalising the body and went on to explain at length> that the body cannot be the real Self. However, Gorakhnath could not> be persuaded and would not budge an inch from his ground; he proudly> challenged Prabhulinga to try cutting his body, handing him a long,> bright and sharp sword. When the sword struck the body of Gorakhnath,> it caused him no injury but was itself blunted. Prabhulinga feigned> (*) surprise, and asked Gorakhnath to try cutting his body. At first> Gorakhnath hesitated to do so saying that Prabhulinga would die. But> when Prabhulinga insisted, he took up the sword and tried to cut his> body. To the great surprise of

Gorakhnath, the sword passed easily> through the body of Prabhulinga without affecting it in any way. It> was as if the sword was passing through empty space! Only then was> Gorakhnath, the Siddha, ready to acknowledge the superiority of> Prabhulinga, the Jnani. Thus his pride was humbled, and he prayed to> Prabhulinga, to teach him the truth. Prabhulinga then expounded Brahma> vidya to Gorakhnath as follows: "Gorakhnath, do not think your body to> be your Self. Seek the In-dweller (the cave-dweller)and you will once> for all rid yourself of the disease of birth and death. The cave is> your heart only, the In-dweller thereof is called God and I am That.">> (*) Feign – Verb – Pretend to be affected by (a feeling, state, or injury).>

Guest guest

Many many thanks and gratitude to Mr Meyappan for his narrations of spiritual stories. I enjoyed and got inspired by both of your latest postings. It brought back memories of Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, which I had read many years ago. Thank you for the sheer joy from your stories. Patriciaharan hari <harimay43 wrote: Ohm! Sivasaravanabhava ! My Dear Meyyappan

Sir, u r doing a magnificent service by giving us soul lifting articles. may Lord Murugan give u all the very best for this type of service. Thanking u once again ----v. hariharan S Meyyappan <smeyyappan > wrote: MURUGA SARANAMDear Members..This story again reminds me what every practiced religion and themajor sects of Hinduism insist - that is Bhakthi to be the mostefficient and recommended way over other methods. Once a discipletells Sri Ramakrishna Parama Hamsa, "Master, Master: I have masteredthe art of walking on the surface of water. It took three years ofintense efforts and concentration to do this". For this the Mastersays, "You fool. You can pay a nickel to get across the river and anyboatman would do the job. Instead of wasting the

three years in thisyou could have tried to find who you are and know the Self".I have heard many learned scholars saying that, by concentration andefforts you can acquire unbelievable skills, as the siddhas do andeven elevate yourself to the other planes of existence (other lokas asreferred by mythology) and interact with them. But what is the use ofthat? In what way does it help you in realizing the Self or in otherwords in uniting with the Lord? Realising Him will only be possiblewhen He reveals Himself. For that total surrender to Him is essential.Then only by His grace we can realize Him. The easiest and the mostefficient way to do it is Bhakthi or Devotion which in other wordsunconditional love towards Him.Who else can be So Gracious than He Himself - "Lord Murugan". Let ussurrender ourselves to His Lotus Feet and He will take care of therest.MURUGA SARANAMWith Best RegardsMeyyappan

SOn 8/6/06, S Meyyappan wrote:> MURUGA SARANAM>> Dear Murugan devotees..>> Please find the post below. Like in last mail I have tried my best> locate uncommon words in my knowledge and added their meaning at the> end. Please do not hesitate to let us know if anything else could be> done to make it more helpful.>> MURUGA SARANAM>> With Best Regards> Meyyappan S>>>> Here goes the Story #2>> ========================================================> THE JNANI AND THE SIDDHA>> [One day, while speaking about hatha yoga and related subjects, Sri> Bhagavan narrated the following story from Prabhulinga lila,a> well-known Tamil work by the Sage Sivaprakasa Swamigal.]>> PRABHULINGA,THE FOUNDER of the Lingayat sect (now mostly prevalent in>

Karnataka State only),was touring the land for the uplift of the> spiritually minded. He met the famous Yogi Gorakhnath in Gokarnam (a> famous place of Hindu pilgrimage on the west coast of India).The yogi> welcomed him respectfully, but was however, proudly conscious of his> own extraordinary powers over the elements. He considered his guest> more or less his equal, expressed pleasure at meeting him, and upon> greeting him, asked who he was.>> Prabhulinga replied that only the One who had destroyed his ego, root> and branch,and who had thereby realised himself could know who he was,> and wondered what he could say to a non-entity, a person, who clung to> his perishable body. Gorakhnath, who identified his body as himself,> replied, "That person alone who has gained the immortality of the> body, by the favour of Siva and consumption of gulikas (medicinal> herbs),will never

die. Therefore one who had not gained such> immortality dies.">> Prabhulinga remarked that knowledge consists in realizing one's Self> and not in immortalising the body and went on to explain at length> that the body cannot be the real Self. However, Gorakhnath could not> be persuaded and would not budge an inch from his ground; he proudly> challenged Prabhulinga to try cutting his body, handing him a long,> bright and sharp sword. When the sword struck the body of Gorakhnath,> it caused him no injury but was itself blunted. Prabhulinga feigned> (*) surprise, and asked Gorakhnath to try cutting his body. At first> Gorakhnath hesitated to do so saying that Prabhulinga would die. But> when Prabhulinga insisted, he took up the sword and tried to cut his> body. To the great surprise of Gorakhnath, the sword passed easily> through the body of Prabhulinga without affecting it in any

way. It> was as if the sword was passing through empty space! Only then was> Gorakhnath, the Siddha, ready to acknowledge the superiority of> Prabhulinga, the Jnani. Thus his pride was humbled, and he prayed to> Prabhulinga, to teach him the truth. Prabhulinga then expounded Brahma> vidya to Gorakhnath as follows: "Gorakhnath, do not think your body to> be your Self. Seek the In-dweller (the cave-dweller)and you will once> for all rid yourself of the disease of birth and death. The cave is> your heart only, the In-dweller thereof is called God and I am That.">> (*) Feign – Verb – Pretend to be affected by (a feeling, state, or injury).>