IndiaDivine.org

Spiritual Stories: Post #8 �PEACE IS THE SOLE CRITERION�

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Om Shanmugha Saranam.

I am catching up on the postings in this group and I just read this

story. What a great story! It magnificently conveys the power of

silence. Thanks Meyyappan for posting it.

I want to share a few points on silence that some of you might find

useful.

Silence can be a great portal that could lead us into staying present

in the moment (while doing our daily activities) or into a deep

meditative state (while doing meditation).

Try this. When you are listening to someone, pay attention to the

silence between the words of the speaker. Say you are having a

conversation with your spouse or listening to a speech or hearing a

baby babble or over hearing a converstaion between two people while

traveling in a bus or a train. Try to listen to the silence between

the sounds. You will be amazed at how this could increase your present

moment awareness. You will feel the NOW.

It is said that all sounds originate from silence and ultimately merge

in it. One loose example I could give is this. Imagine you are

standing near a railway track. No train and no sound - only silence.

Suddenly a train comes by and you hear its huge noise. The train

passes by quickly and you notice the sound also fades away with the

train. There is silence again.

The more we " listen " to the silence around us the more aware and

peaceful we become. Very hard to do but certainly worth a try.

Om Pranjaya Namaha.

Santhosh

dhandapani , " S Meyyappan " <smeyyappan wrote:

>

> MURUGA SARANAM

>

>

>

> 17th Sep 2006

>

> Spiritual Stories: Post #8 " *PEACE IS THE SOLE CRITERION* " **

>

>

>

> Dear Members..

>

>

>

> When we face problems, we might have heard that silence is the best

solution

> at times. This story, 8th in the series of spiritual stories by Bhagwan

> Ramana Maharishi, also talks about silence. But this silence is

different

> and higher in nature. This silence is a great solution for all our

problems.

> It is the silence that one attains after transcending the mind. This

silence

> comes after understanding everything. A peace that accompanies this

silence

> is probably called as The Bliss. Without further elaboration, I feel it

> would be more helpful for you to directly read the story itself.

>

>

>

> May All Glories be to Arumuga The Beautiful.

>

>

>

> Mayil Nadamiduvon Malaradi Saranam

>

>

>

> With Best Regards

>

> Meyyappan S

>

>

>

>

>

> ****

>

> The Story begins here

>

>

>

> *PEACE IS THE SOLE CRITERION *

>

> *When asked about the characteristics of a *jnani*, Bhagavan said,

" They are

> described in books, such as the *Bhagavad Gita*, but we must bear in

mind

> that the *jnani's *state is one which transcends the mind. It cannot be

> described by the mind. Only Silence can correctly describe this

state and

> its characteristics. Silence is more effective than speech. From Silence

> came the ego, from the ego came thought, and from thought came

speech. So if

> speech is effective, how much more effective must be its original

source! "

> Then, in this connection Sri Bhagavan related the following story. *

>

> TATTVARAYA COMPOSED A *bharani* (a kind of poetic composition in

Tamil) in

> honour of his Guru Swarupananda and convened an assembly of learned

*pandits

> * to hear the work and assess its value. The *pandits* raised the

objection

> that a *bharani *was only composed in honour of great heroes capable of

> killing a thousand elephants, and that it was not in order to

compose such a

> work in honour of an ascetic. Thereupon the author said, " Let us all

go to

> my guru and we shall have this matter settled there. " They went to

the guru

> and, after all had taken their seats, the author told his guru the

purpose

> of their coming there. The guru sat silent and all the others also

remained

> in *mauna*. The whole day passed, night came, and some more days and

nights,

> and yet all sat there silently, no thought at all occurring to any

of them

> and nobody asked why they had come there. After three or four days like

> this, the guru moved his mind a bit, and thereupon the assembly regained

> their thought activity. They then declared, " Conquering a thousand

elephants

> is nothing compared to the guru's power to conquer the rutting

elephants of

> all our egos put together. So certainly he deserves the *bharani* in his

> honour! "

>

>

>

> Ends

>

> ********

>

Ohm ! SIVASARAVANABAVA ! Dear Learned Friends, This message of " Silence " appears to be very important. Our beloved Lord Thiru Murugan advised our Gurunatahr Arunagiri " CHUMMA IRU, CHOL ARA " ( Be Silent ! Let there be no word ! ). ( Ref : Kanthar Anubuthi 12th somg ). But Arunagirinathar exclaims that he is unable to understand the meaning of His advise. Therefore the meaning must be very involved. However, for layperson like us Ramana Maharishi's practical explanation must be enough to practice. -----V. Hariharansanthosh_s_nair <santhosh_s_nair wrote: Om Shanmugha Saranam.I am catching up on the postings in this group and I just read thisstory. What a great story! It magnificently conveys the power ofsilence. Thanks Meyyappan for posting it.I want to share a few points on silence that some of you might finduseful.Silence can be a great portal that could lead us into staying presentin the moment (while doing our daily activities) or into a deepmeditative state (while doing meditation).Try this. When you are listening to someone, pay attention to thesilence between the words of the speaker. Say you are having aconversation with your spouse or listening to a speech or hearing ababy babble or over hearing a converstaion between two people whiletraveling in a bus or a

train. Try to listen to the silence betweenthe sounds. You will be amazed at how this could increase your presentmoment awareness. You will feel the NOW. It is said that all sounds originate from silence and ultimately mergein it. One loose example I could give is this. Imagine you arestanding near a railway track. No train and no sound - only silence.Suddenly a train comes by and you hear its huge noise. The trainpasses by quickly and you notice the sound also fades away with thetrain. There is silence again.The more we "listen" to the silence around us the more aware andpeaceful we become. Very hard to do but certainly worth a try.Om Pranjaya Namaha.Santhoshdhandapani , "S Meyyappan" <smeyyappan wrote:>> MURUGA SARANAM> > > > 17th Sep 2006> > Subject:

Spiritual Stories: Post #8 "*PEACE IS THE SOLE CRITERION*"**> > > > Dear Members..> > > > When we face problems, we might have heard that silence is the bestsolution> at times. This story, 8th in the series of spiritual stories by Bhagwan> Ramana Maharishi, also talks about silence. But this silence isdifferent> and higher in nature. This silence is a great solution for all ourproblems.> It is the silence that one attains after transcending the mind. Thissilence> comes after understanding everything. A peace that accompanies thissilence> is probably called as The Bliss. Without further elaboration, I feel it> would be more helpful for you to directly read the story itself.> > > > May All Glories be to Arumuga The Beautiful.> > > > Mayil Nadamiduvon Malaradi Saranam> > >

> With Best Regards> > Meyyappan S> > > > > > ****> > The Story begins here> > > > *PEACE IS THE SOLE CRITERION *> > *When asked about the characteristics of a *jnani*, Bhagavan said,"They are> described in books, such as the *Bhagavad Gita*, but we must bear inmind> that the *jnani's *state is one which transcends the mind. It cannot be> described by the mind. Only Silence can correctly describe thisstate and> its characteristics. Silence is more effective than speech. From Silence> came the ego, from the ego came thought, and from thought camespeech. So if> speech is effective, how much more effective must be its originalsource!"> Then, in this connection Sri Bhagavan related the following story. *> > TATTVARAYA COMPOSED A *bharani* (a kind of poetic composition

inTamil) in> honour of his Guru Swarupananda and convened an assembly of learned*pandits> * to hear the work and assess its value. The *pandits* raised theobjection> that a *bharani *was only composed in honour of great heroes capable of> killing a thousand elephants, and that it was not in order tocompose such a> work in honour of an ascetic. Thereupon the author said, "Let us allgo to> my guru and we shall have this matter settled there." They went tothe guru> and, after all had taken their seats, the author told his guru thepurpose> of their coming there. The guru sat silent and all the others alsoremained> in *mauna*. The whole day passed, night came, and some more days andnights,> and yet all sat there silently, no thought at all occurring to anyof them> and nobody asked why they had come there. After three or four days like> this, the guru moved

his mind a bit, and thereupon the assembly regained> their thought activity. They then declared, "Conquering a thousandelephants> is nothing compared to the guru's power to conquer the ruttingelephants of> all our egos put together. So certainly he deserves the *bharani* in his> honour!"> > > > Ends> > ********>

All-new Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Mr. Hariharan..

Thank you for reminding for the verse on Kanthar Anubhuthi (Summa Viru..) and also about the humility and modesty expressed by true bhakthas like SainT Arunagirinathar (Amma Porulonrum Arinthilaney..)

Mr. Santosh, thank you for letting me know about the power of contemplating on the silence. It has been a good analogy with the train.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On 9/20/06, haran hari <harimay43 wrote:

Ohm ! SIVASARAVANABAVA !

Dear Learned Friends,

This message of " Silence " appears to be very important. Our beloved Lord Thiru Murugan advised our Gurunatahr Arunagiri " CHUMMA IRU, CHOL ARA " ( Be Silent ! Let there be no word ! ). ( Ref : Kanthar Anubuthi 12th somg ). But Arunagirinathar exclaims that he is unable to understand the meaning of His advise. Therefore the meaning must be very involved. However, for layperson like us Ramana Maharishi's practical explanation must be enough to practice.

-----V. Hariharansanthosh_s_nair <santhosh_s_nair > wrote:

Om Shanmugha Saranam.I am catching up on the postings in this group and I just read thisstory. What a great story! It magnificently conveys the power ofsilence. Thanks Meyyappan for posting it.

I want to share a few points on silence that some of you might finduseful.Silence can be a great portal that could lead us into staying presentin the moment (while doing our daily activities) or into a deep

meditative state (while doing meditation).Try this. When you are listening to someone, pay attention to thesilence between the words of the speaker. Say you are having aconversation with your spouse or listening to a speech or hearing a

baby babble or over hearing a converstaion between two people whiletraveling in a bus or a train. Try to listen to the silence betweenthe sounds. You will be amazed at how this could increase your presentmoment awareness. You will feel the NOW. It is said that all sounds originate from silence and ultimately mergein it. One loose example I could give is this. Imagine you arestanding near a railway track. No train and no sound - only silence.Suddenly a train comes by and you hear its huge noise. The train

passes by quickly and you notice the sound also fades away with thetrain. There is silence again.The more we " listen " to the silence around us the more aware andpeaceful we become. Very hard to do but certainly worth a try.

Om Pranjaya Namaha.Santhosh

Pranams to the group i am a new entrant to this wonderful group The power of silence is great indeed. But here silence is not only verbal sound, but also the silence of mind. during wakeful hours, mind chatters continuously. stopping this internal chatter is the true silence. it is very difficult to achieve, but wonderful if experienced. i believe that this is the meaning of the words 'summa iru' regards to all mani.VS Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote:

MURUGA SARANAM Dear Mr. Hariharan.. Thank you for reminding for the verse on Kanthar Anubhuthi (Summa Viru..) and also about the humility and modesty expressed by true bhakthas like SainT Arunagirinathar (Amma Porulonrum Arinthilaney..) Mr. Santosh, thank you for letting me know about the power of contemplating on the silence. It has been a good analogy with the train. MURUGA SARANAM With Best Regards Meyyappan S On 9/20/06, haran hari <harimay43 > wrote: Ohm ! SIVASARAVANABAVA

! Dear Learned Friends, This message of " Silence " appears to be very important. Our beloved Lord Thiru Murugan advised our Gurunatahr Arunagiri " CHUMMA IRU, CHOL ARA " ( Be Silent ! Let there be no word ! ). ( Ref : Kanthar Anubuthi 12th somg ). But Arunagirinathar exclaims that he is unable to understand the meaning of His advise. Therefore the meaning must be very involved. However, for layperson like us Ramana Maharishi's practical explanation must be enough to practice. -----V. Hariharansanthosh_s_nair <santhosh_s_nair > wrote: Om Shanmugha Saranam.I am catching up on the postings in this group and I just read thisstory. What a great story! It magnificently conveys the

power ofsilence. Thanks Meyyappan for posting it.I want to share a few points on silence that some of you might finduseful.Silence can be a great portal that could lead us into staying presentin the moment (while doing our daily activities) or into a deep meditative state (while doing meditation).Try this. When you are listening to someone, pay attention to thesilence between the words of the speaker. Say you are having aconversation with your spouse or listening to a speech or hearing a baby babble or over hearing a converstaion between two people whiletraveling in a bus or a train. Try to listen to the silence betweenthe sounds. You will be amazed at how this could increase your presentmoment awareness. You will feel the NOW. It is said that all sounds originate from silence and ultimately mergein it. One loose example I could give is this. Imagine you arestanding near a railway track. No

train and no sound - only silence.Suddenly a train comes by and you hear its huge noise. The train passes by quickly and you notice the sound also fades away with thetrain. There is silence again.The more we "listen" to the silence around us the more aware andpeaceful we become. Very hard to do but certainly worth a try. Om Pranjaya Namaha.Santhosh .

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Dear sir, this is very usefull details. i think "SUMMA IRU" the another means "WILL TAKE MEDITATION". is it write....? N.Mohanraj MURUGA SARANAM viji mani <vijimani43 wrote: Pranams to the group i am a new entrant to this wonderful group The power of silence is great indeed. But here silence is not only verbal sound, but also the silence of mind. during wakeful hours, mind chatters continuously. stopping this internal chatter is the true silence. it is very difficult to achieve, but wonderful if experienced. i believe that this is the meaning of the words 'summa iru' regards to all mani.VS Meyyappan

<smeyyappan wrote: MURUGA SARANAM Dear Mr. Hariharan.. Thank you for reminding for the verse on Kanthar Anubhuthi (Summa Viru..) and also about the humility and modesty expressed by true bhakthas like SainT Arunagirinathar (Amma Porulonrum Arinthilaney..) Mr. Santosh, thank you for letting me know about the power of contemplating on the silence. It has been a good analogy with the train. MURUGA SARANAM With Best Regards Meyyappan S On 9/20/06, haran hari <harimay43 > wrote: Ohm ! SIVASARAVANABAVA ! Dear Learned Friends, This message of " Silence " appears to be very important. Our beloved Lord Thiru Murugan advised our Gurunatahr Arunagiri " CHUMMA IRU, CHOL ARA " ( Be Silent ! Let there be no word ! ). ( Ref : Kanthar Anubuthi 12th somg ). But Arunagirinathar exclaims that he is unable to understand the meaning of His advise. Therefore the meaning must be very involved. However, for layperson like us Ramana Maharishi's practical explanation must be enough to practice. -----V. Hariharansanthosh_s_nair <santhosh_s_nair > wrote: Om Shanmugha Saranam.I am catching up on the postings in this group and I just read thisstory. What a great story! It magnificently conveys the power ofsilence. Thanks Meyyappan for posting it.I want to share a few points on silence that some of you might finduseful.Silence can be a great portal that could lead us into staying presentin the moment (while doing our daily activities) or into a deep meditative state (while doing meditation).Try this. When you are listening to someone, pay attention to thesilence between the words of the speaker. Say you are having aconversation with your spouse or listening to a speech or hearing a baby babble or over hearing a converstaion between two people whiletraveling in a bus or a train. Try to listen to the silence betweenthe sounds. You will

be amazed at how this could increase your presentmoment awareness. You will feel the NOW. It is said that all sounds originate from silence and ultimately mergein it. One loose example I could give is this. Imagine you arestanding near a railway track. No train and no sound - only silence.Suddenly a train comes by and you hear its huge noise. The train passes by quickly and you notice the sound also fades away with thetrain. There is silence again.The more we "listen" to the silence around us the more aware andpeaceful we become. Very hard to do but certainly worth a try. Om Pranjaya Namaha.Santhosh . How low will we

go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

muruga saranam please visit the following site.under literature u can visit periapuranam,tiruarutpa and various tamil both saiva and vaishnava literature and tamil iyemperu kappiyam and novels by kalki http://www.tamilnation.org/literature/projectmadurai/intro.htm with regards krishnan select tamil literature from the websiteMOHANRAJ N <mohanraj_n wrote: .

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new .com. Check it out.