IndiaDivine.org

Math in Thiruppugazh

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ohm ! Sivasaravanabava ! dear sir, fantastic ! i just checked Anubuthi, Vel viruttham & Sirpatha Vaguppu...ur discovery hold very good. and u r correct ..there must be many more such hidden treasures in Thiruppugazh. Is it because of this regularity, we r able to sing Thiruppugaszh in any raga ???? ---V. HariharanS Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote: MURUGA SARANAM Once I was listening to the explanation of the

Thiruppugazh on Lord Ganesh by Variyar Swamigal. Variyar Swamigal one single word or verse from multiple angles and ways. I was surprised by the mathematical fact he was illustrating with the verses. He was refering to the Nagarathar community who seem to equate the figure "100" with Lord Ganesh. Then he goes on to count the letters in the verses. kaiththala niRaikani appamodu avalpori kappiya karimugan ...... adi pENi katridum adiyavar buddhiyil uRaibava kaRpagam enavinai ...... kadidhEgum maththamum madhiyamum vaiththidum aranmagan maRporu thiraL buya ...... madhayaanai maththaLa vayiRanai uththami pudhalvanai mattavizh malar kodu ...... paNivEnE muththamizh adaivinai muRpadu girithanil muRpada ezhudhiya ...... mudhalvOnE muppuram eriseydha acchivan uRairatham acchadhu podiseydha ...... athidheeraa aththuyar adhukodu subbira

maNipadum appunam adhanidai ...... ibamaagi akkuRa magaLudan acchiRu muruganai akkaNam maNamaruL ...... perumaaLE. Refer to the attachment for Tamil Version of it. If you look at it, there are two stanzas and each one has four lines. Starting with Kaithalaniraikani the first line has exacly twentyfive letters and it is the same upto the fourth line of the stanza that ends with paNivEnE. The four lines together form 100 letters. That is One Pillayar (Lord Ganesh). While counting alphabets in Tamil he says you should not count the Mey Ezhuthukkal (Vyanjans or consonants). Only Uyir Ezhuthukkal (swaras or vowels) or Uyir Mey Ezhuthukkal should be counted. That means kai is one letter, but "th" is not a letter to be counted. "tha" or "ththa" can be counted as one letter. The same 100 letters go for the second stanza as well that begins with Muthamizh and ends with PerumALE! When I verified with other Thiruppugazhs like Muthaitharu, Nathavindhu and Vetha Vithaka it was stunningly similar. Though each line was not 25 but each line had exactly same number fo letters (like 30 each or 33 each etc..) May be we need to check with other thiruppugazhs and other hymns like Kanthar Anubhuthi. I was wonder struck when I noticed this. All hymns by saint Arunagirinathar have such a brilliance in rhythm and while reciting it the the rhythm will never go off beat. That may not be possible with such a mathematical precision without considering the "mathirais"

or the prescribed length of time for pronouncing each letter. But I never thought that this masterpiece would also be so precise in number of letters. That Master Piece cannot be possible without the Grace of The Universal Master "Saravana PerumaaL". Those who have studied Tamil would have learnt that the words and syllables that form the poems (seyyuL) should follow certain rules (like "ner ner thema", "nirai ner pulima", karuvilam, kuvilam, themangai themangani etc..) so as to qualify for a particular type of poem like Venba or Asiriyappa etc.. Every kind of poem is bound by its own rule in terms of number of words/syllables and also the absolute duration that would be needed to pronounce each syllable. The popular two liners are known as Kurals. Though we are content with these hymns as prayers to praise Him, I dont know what else are hidden

in these treasures. He only knows. MURUGA SARANAM With Best Regards Meyyappan S

Get on board. You're invited to try the new Mail.

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Mr. Hariharan..

It was discovered by Variyar Swamigal and I was fortunate enough to know that through his words. I wish some one who understands music lets us know why we are able to sing the same song in many tunes. For example the song " Parimala Kalabha " is sung differently by Darumapuram Swaminathan Avl. and Thiruthani L Swaminathan Avl. Nadha Vindhu is sung in different tunes by Variyar Swamigal and Thiruthani L Swaminathan Avl. I want to know what is the rule in music.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best RegardsMeyyappan S

On 10/18/06, haran hari <harimay43 wrote:

Ohm ! Sivasaravanabava !

dear sir,

fantastic ! i just checked Anubuthi, Vel viruttham & Sirpatha Vaguppu...ur discovery hold very good. and u r correct ..there must be many more such hidden treasures in Thiruppugazh.

Is it because of this regularity, we r able to sing Thiruppugaszh in any raga ????

---V. Hariharan S Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote:

MURUGA SARANAM

Once I was listening to the explanation of the Thiruppugazh on Lord Ganesh by Variyar Swamigal. Variyar Swamigal one single word or verse from multiple angles and ways. I was surprised by the mathematical fact he was illustrating with the verses. He was refering to the Nagarathar community who seem to equate the figure " 100 " with Lord Ganesh. Then he goes on to count the letters in the verses.

kaiththala niRaikani appamodu avalpori kappiya karimugan ...... adi pENi katridum adiyavar buddhiyil uRaibava kaRpagam enavinai ...... kadidhEgum maththamum madhiyamum vaiththidum aranmagan maRporu thiraL buya ...... madhayaanai maththaLa vayiRanai uththami pudhalvanai mattavizh malar kodu ...... paNivEnE muththamizh adaivinai muRpadu girithanil muRpada ezhudhiya ...... mudhalvOnE muppuram eriseydha acchivan uRairatham acchadhu podiseydha ...... athidheeraa aththuyar adhukodu subbira maNipadum appunam adhanidai ...... ibamaagi akkuRa magaLudan acchiRu muruganai akkaNam maNamaruL ...... perumaaLE. Refer to the attachment for Tamil Version of it.

If you look at it, there are two stanzas and each one has four lines. Starting with Kaithalaniraikani the first line has exacly twentyfive letters and it is the same upto the fourth line of the stanza that ends with paNivEnE. The four lines together form 100 letters. That is One Pillayar (Lord Ganesh). While counting alphabets in Tamil he says you should not count the Mey Ezhuthukkal (Vyanjans or consonants). Only Uyir Ezhuthukkal (swaras or vowels) or Uyir Mey Ezhuthukkal should be counted. That means kai is one letter, but " th " is not a letter to be counted. " tha " or " ththa " can be counted as one letter.

The same 100 letters go for the second stanza as well that begins with Muthamizh and ends with PerumALE!

When I verified with other Thiruppugazhs like Muthaitharu, Nathavindhu and Vetha Vithaka it was stunningly similar. Though each line was not 25 but each line had exactly same number fo letters (like 30 each or 33 each etc..) May be we need to check with other thiruppugazhs and other hymns like Kanthar Anubhuthi.

I was wonder struck when I noticed this. All hymns by saint Arunagirinathar have such a brilliance in rhythm and while reciting it the the rhythm will never go off beat. That may not be possible with such a mathematical precision without considering the " mathirais " or the prescribed length of time for pronouncing each letter. But I never thought that this masterpiece would also be so precise in number of letters. That Master Piece cannot be possible without the Grace of The Universal Master " Saravana PerumaaL " . Those who have studied Tamil would have learnt that the words and syllables that form the poems (seyyuL) should follow certain rules (like " ner ner thema " , " nirai ner pulima " , karuvilam, kuvilam, themangai themangani etc..) so as to qualify for a particular type of poem like Venba or Asiriyappa etc.. Every kind of poem is bound by its own rule in terms of number of words/syllables and also the absolute duration that would be needed to pronounce each syllable. The popular two liners are known as Kurals.

Though we are content with these hymns as prayers to praise Him, I dont know what else are hidden in these treasures. He only knows.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Meyyappan Have you read " ThruEzu kuRRiruikai especially the thiruppugazh song? If you have I do not want to repeat it. If and other members have not read that I can write on that SundararajanS Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote: MURUGA SARANAM Once I was listening to the explanation of the Thiruppugazh on Lord Ganesh by Variyar Swamigal. Variyar Swamigal one single word or verse from multiple angles and ways.

I was surprised by the mathematical fact he was illustrating with the verses. He was refering to the Nagarathar community .

Beauty is His footprint showing us

where He has passed - Aurobindo

Find out what India is talking about on - Answers India Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

Ohm ! SIVASARAVANABAVA ! Dear Sir, This is one of the most brilliant songs by Thiru Arunagirinathar. We wish to read ur perception of this song. Although the main meaning will be one only, each Murugan Baktha, normally adds some more interesting information. Hence, pl. go ahead with ur explanation & we r all egarly waiting to taste the nector of Thiruppugazh. ---v.hariharan Sundara Rajan <yesyesrin wrote: Dear

Meyyappan Have you read " ThruEzu kuRRiruikai especially the thiruppugazh song? If you have I do not want to repeat it. If and other members have not read that I can write on that SundararajanS Meyyappan <smeyyappan > wrote: MURUGA SARANAM Once I was listening to the explanation of the Thiruppugazh on Lord Ganesh by Variyar Swamigal. Variyar Swamigal one single word or verse from multiple angles and ways. I was surprised by the mathematical fact he was illustrating with the verses. He was refering to the Nagarathar community . Beauty is His footprint showing us where He has passed - Aurobindo Find out what India is talking about on - Answers India Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Sir..

It will be a treat to hear about it. Please go ahead. As Mr. Hariharan said, it brings joy to hear such things again and again.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best RegardsMeyyappan S

On 11/1/06, Sundara Rajan <yesyesrin wrote:

Dear Meyyappan

Have you read " ThruEzu kuRRiruikai especially the thiruppugazh song? If you have I do not want to repeat it. If and other members have not read that I can write on that

SundararajanS Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote:

MURUGA SARANAM

Once I was listening to the explanation of the Thiruppugazh on Lord Ganesh by Variyar Swamigal. Variyar Swamigal one single word or verse from multiple angles and ways. I was surprised by the mathematical fact he was illustrating with the verses. He was refering to the Nagarathar community

Beauty is His footprint showing us where He has passed - Aurobindo