IndiaDivine.org

Chandas in Thiruppugazh

Rate this topic

Guest guest

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Mr. Sivaramakrishnan..

Thank you very much for that post on Chandas and Syllables.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On 10/20/06, R. Sivaramakrishna Sharma <arunagirinathar wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----Hash: SHA1I heard Variayar talking about irattai vinayakar in a CD calledVinayakar Perumai . He actually said - " Count the number of words inKaittala - it will equal 200 exactly " . 100 for one vinayakar and another

100 for another vinayakar - there are two vinayakars!Regarding the mathematical precision - this is standard and a part andparcel of prosody - whether Sanskrit or Tamil.The guna or characteristic of a verse depends upon

a. No. of Aksharas in each paada or partb. No. of Syllables totallyc. Normally all verses have four Paadas or partsEach verse has to have exactly the same amount of aksharas/maatras asthe other in order to quantify itself as a verse of a particular

chandas. And for a Hymn to qualify as a hymn in a particular chandas -all verses need to be in that particular chandas.For example Vishnu Sahasranamam is in Anushtup Chandas. Anushtup Chandasis a Sanskrit Chandas of Vedic origin. Infact Anushtup Chandas is also

popular in Puranas. Many of Puranic Shlokas are in Anushtup Chandas.Each verse/sloka will have four paadas or partsEach Paada will have eight syllablesand thus the entire verse will have 24 syllables

Akshara Chandas on the contarary are based on number of aksharas orletters rather than syllables in each paada.All Thiruppugazh hymns are set to various respective chandas although Ihave not researched much about this. It seems that almost all

Thiruppugazh hymns are set to chandases of the Tamil Language.There is little doubt about the mathematical precision in these hymns.|| ????????????????? ||

Thank you for your most interesting and inspiring contribution re the Thiruppugaz verses.

I heard that Variyar Swami's passing away was in a very faith-inspiring manner. That he used to ask "Muruga, in what vaahanam are you going to take me away?"

Is it true he passed away in a flight on his return to India from London? I'd love to know some reliable info on this. Variyar Swami was a deep devotee of Murugan, and he lived his belief to the fullest.

Also, if possible, could you kindly let me have the words of "Naada Vindhu Kalaadi Namo Namo?" I heard it very long ago, but am clueless about the words. The tune is also delightful and heartwarming.

Thanks again, and A Very Happy Deepavali to you, your family and group members!Patricia

S Meyyappan <smeyyappandhandapani Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:07:43 PMRe: Chandas in Thiruppugazh

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Mr. Sivaramakrishnan. .

Thank you very much for that post on Chandas and Syllables.

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On 10/20/06, R. Sivaramakrishna Sharma <arunagirinathar@ .co. in> wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----Hash: SHA1I heard Variayar talking about irattai vinayakar in a CD calledVinayakar Perumai . He actually said - "Count the number of words inKaittala - it will equal 200 exactly". 100 for one vinayakar and another 100 for another vinayakar - there are two vinayakars!Regarding the mathematical precision - this is standard and a part andparcel of prosody - whether Sanskrit or Tamil.The guna or characteristic of a verse depends upon a. No. of Aksharas in each paada or partb. No. of Syllables totallyc. Normally all verses have four Paadas or partsEach verse has to have exactly the same amount of aksharas/maatras asthe other in order to quantify itself as a verse of a particular chandas. And for a Hymn to qualify as a hymn in a particular chandas -all verses need to be in that particular chandas.For example Vishnu Sahasranamam is in Anushtup Chandas. Anushtup

Chandasis a Sanskrit Chandas of Vedic origin. Infact Anushtup Chandas is also popular in Puranas. Many of Puranic Shlokas are in Anushtup Chandas.Each verse/sloka will have four paadas or partsEach Paada will have eight syllablesand thus the entire verse will have 24 syllablesAkshara Chandas on the contarary are based on number of aksharas orletters rather than syllables in each paada.All Thiruppugazh hymns are set to various respective chandas although Ihave not researched much about this. It seems that almost all Thiruppugazh hymns are set to chandases of the Tamil Language.There is little doubt about the mathematical precision in these hymns.|| ???????????? ????? ||

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

I heard Variayar talking about irattai vinayakar in a CD called

Vinayakar Perumai . He actually said - " Count the number of words in

Kaittala - it will equal 200 exactly " . 100 for one vinayakar and another

100 for another vinayakar - there are two vinayakars!

Regarding the mathematical precision - this is standard and a part and

parcel of prosody - whether Sanskrit or Tamil.

The guna or characteristic of a verse depends upon

a. No. of Aksharas in each paada or part

b. No. of Syllables totally

c. Normally all verses have four Paadas or parts

Each verse has to have exactly the same amount of aksharas/maatras as

the other in order to quantify itself as a verse of a particular

chandas. And for a Hymn to qualify as a hymn in a particular chandas -

all verses need to be in that particular chandas.

For example Vishnu Sahasranamam is in Anushtup Chandas. Anushtup Chandas

is a Sanskrit Chandas of Vedic origin. Infact Anushtup Chandas is also

popular in Puranas. Many of Puranic Shlokas are in Anushtup Chandas.

Each verse/sloka will have four paadas or parts

Each Paada will have eight syllables

and thus the entire verse will have 24 syllables

Akshara Chandas on the contarary are based on number of aksharas or

letters rather than syllables in each paada.

All Thiruppugazh hymns are set to various respective chandas although I

have not researched much about this. It seems that almost all

Thiruppugazh hymns are set to chandases of the Tamil Language.

There is little doubt about the mathematical precision in these hymns.

|| ????????????????? ||

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFFOG6rJbSgEeVGLScRAgsyAKDQXtzBj5ZF2sWzgtseoNPBSpBcMgCcDt3X

ugppWuqNF+MX/3d7D1Lrmbs=

=+/6I

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Send instant messages to your online friends http://in.messenger.

MURUGA SARANAM

A very Happy Diwali to all the members.

Unfortunately I have not read the Life History of Variyar Swamigal. The book is available with Variyar Publications, I think, written by Ki Va Jagannathan. I have heard in one of the Islamic lectures that when the life passes away from the body of great people it goes very smoothly. The example given for that is the water that flows out of a vessel. When you tilt a vessel full of water, the water comes out very easily without any pain or obstruction. They also say that hundreds of angels with white and bright faces descend down along with one specific person assigned for that individual and take him royally to God. They cross the six skies and take him to the seventh one where He resides (does it resemble the upper seven worlds referred to in Hinduism?). Where as for people who have sinned, black faced people get assembled and the life is taken out in the most painful manner with lot of noise " punch him, kill him, etc.. " (does that remind you of the last stanza of Muthaitharu Thirupugazh that ends with Kuthiputhai pukku pidi ena muthu kookai) It is also mentioned that no one alive will get to know of neither of these incidents as the dead people do not come alive and tellus their experiences. But I have heard about both kind of people getting to know about it moments or hours before. There was a old lady in our neighborhood who was so pious. She told people to make arrangements for for her final rites as she got some indication or vision about it. I have also heard about people fearing it like hell and hiding their head below the pillow as they also get some vision about it. We should seek His grace that we should not fear death. Sorry for going away from the topic. I wish some one shares his knowledge on the history of Variyar.

Reg Nadha Vindhu Song and other thiruppugazh songs you will find them here with Tamil script, meaning in Tamil, Roman script and translation of meaning (and also the mp3).

http://www.kaumaram.com/thiru/ntpm0170.html - Naadha Vindhu

http://www.kaumaram.com/thiru/index.html - List of All Thiruppugazh Songs collection

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best RegardsMeyyappan S

On 10/19/06, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000 wrote:

Thank you for your most interesting and inspiring contribution re the Thiruppugaz verses.

I heard that Variyar Swami's passing away was in a very faith-inspiring manner. That he used to ask " Muruga, in what vaahanam

are you going to take me away? "

Is it true he passed away in a flight on his return to India from London? I'd love to know some reliable info on this. Variyar Swami was a deep devotee of Murugan, and he lived his belief to the fullest.

Also, if possible, could you kindly let me have the words of " Naada Vindhu Kalaadi Namo Namo? " I heard it very long ago, but am clueless about the words. The tune is also delightful and heartwarming.

Thanks again, and A Very Happy Deepavali to you, your family and group members!

Patricia