IndiaDivine.org

Spiritual Stories Post #19 “The Fault Lies in Exposure”

Rate this topic

Guest guest

MURUGA SARANAM

27th November 2006

Spiritual Stories Post #19 "The Fault Lies in Exposure"

Dear Members..

Here is the Post # 19 in the series of Spiritual Stories by Bhagwan Ramana Maharishi. To be frank with you I did not get a deeper insight into this story. Though the meaning is simple, it would be great if someone can expound on the deeper meaning of it. I understand Ezhuthachan is a respected scholar in Kerala similar to Valluvar, Kambar and others.

May All Glories be to The Lord of Enkan

Enkan Muruganukku Arohara !!!

Mayil Nadamiduvon Malaradi Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

The Story begins here

The Fault Lies in Exposure

EZHUTHACHAN, A GREAT saint and author, had a few fish concealed on him when he entered the temple. The saint was searched and taken to the king. The king asked him, "Why did you take the fish into the temple?" He replied, "It is not my fault. I had it concealed in my clothes. The others exposed the fish in the temple. The fault lies in exposure. Excreta within the body are not considered filthy; but when excreted, they are considered filthy. So also with this."

Ends

Dear Members

Yes, its a very intriguing story. But I wonder why nobody asked Sri Ramana Maharshi Himself to explain. Because the example does not make sense to me.

As part of the glorious Hindu culture, templegoers are exhorted to first cleanse themselves - have a bath - before going to a temple. It is understood that they will be physically cleansing themselves both internally and externally. Even in the temple premises, they are required to wash their hands and feet before entering.

I wonder how fish concealed in the clothes can have the same meaning as filth concealed inside the human body. Maybe there is someone or some book with interpretations or even the context in which Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi narrated each story.

Perhaps Ezuthachan was making a reference to the King or some high authority who was trying to expose something? Perhaps Bhagawan meant that some things are meant to be concealed? Because, perhaps, revealing serves no purpose, except release a lot of stink and nuisance?

These are my conjectures. Reading the story, Mr Meyappan, makes me feel that there was some local context in which this entire episode took place. Any ideas, fellow group members?

Happy Kaarthikar Deepam to all group members!

Patricia

S Meyyappan <smeyyappanDhandapani <dhandapani >Saturday, December 2, 2006 11:12:51 PM Spiritual Stories Post #19 “The Fault Lies in Exposure”

MURUGA SARANAM

27th November 2006

Spiritual Stories Post #19 "The Fault Lies in Exposure"

Dear Members..

Here is the Post # 19 in the series of Spiritual Stories by Bhagwan Ramana Maharishi. To be frank with you I did not get a deeper insight into this story. Though the meaning is simple, it would be great if someone can expound on the deeper meaning of it. I understand Ezhuthachan is a respected scholar in Kerala similar to Valluvar, Kambar and others.

May All Glories be to The Lord of Enkan

Enkan Muruganukku Arohara !!!

Mayil Nadamiduvon Malaradi Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

The Story begins here

The Fault Lies in Exposure

EZHUTHACHAN, A GREAT saint and author, had a few fish concealed on him when he entered the temple. The saint was searched and taken to the king. The king asked him, "Why did you take the fish into the temple?" He replied, "It is not my fault. I had it concealed in my clothes. The others exposed the fish in the temple. The fault lies in exposure. Excreta within the body are not considered filthy; but when excreted, they are considered filthy. So also with this."

Ends

Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your question on

Answers.

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Patricia Madam..

Your view has given me some clues. I think, probably it means that everyone has good and bad. They say that we should try to manifest more of the good and less of the bad so that we evolve more as human beings. So by default everyone has good and filth. But the filth should not be exposed. Probably this could be one dimension of the story.

Usually people expose only when you have something bad. If Ezhuthachan had something good and excellent it would never have been got this much attention, that too from the king. Does it also give an impression that dont be concerned always on exposing others in an attempt to find fault?

MURUGA SARANAM

With Best RegardsMeyyappan S

On 12/3/06, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000 wrote:

Dear Members

Yes, its a very intriguing story. But I wonder why nobody asked Sri Ramana Maharshi Himself to explain. Because the example does not make sense to me.

As part of the glorious Hindu culture, templegoers are exhorted to first cleanse themselves - have a bath - before going to a temple. It is understood that they will be physically cleansing themselves both internally and externally. Even in the temple premises, they are required to wash their hands and feet before entering.

I wonder how fish concealed in the clothes can have the same meaning as filth concealed inside the human body. Maybe there is someone or some book with interpretations or even the context in which Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi narrated each story.

Perhaps Ezuthachan was making a reference to the King or some high authority who was trying to expose something? Perhaps Bhagawan meant that some things are meant to be concealed? Because, perhaps, revealing serves no purpose, except release a lot of stink and nuisance?

These are my conjectures. Reading the story, Mr Meyappan, makes me feel that there was some local context in which this entire episode took place. Any ideas, fellow group members?

Patricia

Dear Mr Meyappan

True, your understanding is very reasonable.

It still does not answer my question: Why did Ezuthachan take the fish into the temple in the first place? Even if it was concealed, he would have known whether it is right or not right to take it into the temple. The example of "filth in the body" is not very accurate to justify in this case.

So I'm more interested in what is the context in which Bhagawan was narrating this story, and what is the context in which Ezuthachan himself behaved in this way.

Fellow group members, do you have anything interesting to throw light on this issue?

Regards

Patricia

S Meyyappan <smeyyappandhandapani Sent: Sunday, December 3, 2006 5:06:18 PMRe: Spiritual Stories Post #19 “The Fault Lies in Exposure”

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Patricia Madam..

Your view has given me some clues. I think, probably it means that everyone has good and bad. They say that we should try to manifest more of the good and less of the bad so that we evolve more as human beings. So by default everyone has good and filth. But the filth should not be exposed. Probably this could be one dimension of the story.

Usually people expose only when you have something bad. If Ezhuthachan had something good and excellent it would never have been got this much attention, that too from the king. Does it also give an impression that dont be concerned always on exposing others in an attempt to find fault?

MURUGA SARANAM

On 12/3/06, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ > wrote:

Dear Members

Patricia

Everyone is raving about the all-new Mail beta.

The unusual order

To continue on the sprirtual stories, here is an interesting story which has got some contradictions. But the purpose is very deeply spiritual. I was reminded of this when I read the most recent story contribution by Mr Meyappan, and felt that there must have been some context in which those events happened.

The story

When Shirdi Sai Baba was sitting with his followers - which comprised both Hindus as well as Muslims - there was the issue of killing a goat for its meat.

Baba asked one particular devotee to slaughter the goat. This man was a Brahmin, and so he should have hesitated. Instead, he obediently came forward and received the chopping knife for the task. Just when he poised the knife to slit the goat's throat, Sai Baba loudly admonished the Brahmin:

"Are you not ashamed to do this job, you being a Brahmin?! Is this what your Dharma teaches you?! How could you even think about doing this task?!!!!"

To which the Brahmin replied:

"You also know that I'm a Brahmin. Still, You asked me to do it. So I obeyed. If You ask me to do anything, who am I to question whether its right or wrong?".

Sai Baba laughed, and stopped the slaughter of the animal. He wanted to show this example of true devotees to people around Him.

(The words in quote may not be exactly the same; but I have tried to reproduce them as authentically as possible).

Regards

Patricia

S Meyyappan <smeyyappandhandapani Sent: Sunday, December 3, 2006 5:06:18 PMRe: Spiritual Stories Post #19 “The Fault Lies in Exposure”

MURUGA SARANAM

Dear Patricia Madam..

MURUGA SARANAM

On 12/3/06, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ > wrote:

Dear Members

Patricia

Access over 1 million songs - Music Unlimited.

Yes, Mr Sharma, it makes a great deal of sense.

There were times in history when true devotees were denied entry into the temple on very absurd grounds. For example, if a devotee was even physically clean after a proper bath etc etc, some arrogant and power-drunk individual could deny entry to the devotee because "his blood (meaning his race or caste or family) was tainted".

So it sounds very likely that Ezhutacchan was aiming to attack this injustice. Therefore he acted this way.

Thank you, Mr Sharma, for throwing light on this issue.

Patricia

R. Sivaramakrishna Sharma <arunagirinathardhandapani Sent: Sunday, December 3, 2006 8:23:29 PMRe: Spiritual Stories Post #19 “The Fault Lies in Exposure”

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----Hash: SHA1A little history might help I guess. Go back to the days of TunjattuEzhutacchan .... You will see what sort of social reforms he was doing.It could be for exposing blind faith of people that he could have donesuch a thing. "You are supposed to be pure to enter the Temple".So he could very well have revolted that - NO ONE IS PURE / CLEAN -everyone has the excreta in the body - a COUNTER/REVERSE argument inthis case. So by logic - since excreta concealed within the body IS NOTUNCLEAN OR POLLUTING - fish concelead in one's clothes IS NEITHERUNCLEAN or POLLUTING.I am really not sure.-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE--- --Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail. mozdev.orgiD8DBQFFcsHBJbSgEeV GLScRAvvBAKCnaEN 9AHMbVR3RWHvIZQa

Et2y49wCfYBk7OkO45pARcgeeks5lixH /KDE==Jeq4-----END PGP SIGNATURE--- --Send instant messages to your online friends http://in.messenger .

Everyone is raving about the all-new Mail beta.