IndiaDivine.org

Kanthar Anubhuthi - verse 8

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Transliteration:

amarum pathi kEL akam aam enumip— , pimaram keda mey— poruL pEsiyavaa kumaran giri raasa kumaari makan, samaram poru thaanava naasakanE. 8

Meaning:

The dwelling body and relatives, to regard as I (and mine) This delusion to dispel, You spoke on Reality Supreme. O Kumara, Himavan's daughter Parvathi's Son! O Destroyer of Asuras who rose to fight and win! "O Lord Kumara! O Son of Himavan's (King of Himalayas) daughter! O Destroyer of Asuras who fought against Thee! It is indeed a wonder, O Lord, that You gave me Upadesa on the Supreme Reality such that the ignorance, which makes one feel that the body in which the Atman dwells and the relatives as 'I' (and 'mine,' respectively), has been destroyed."

Detailed Commentary:

Kumara means "one who is of eternal youth," who is ever the same, who knows no change — the Absolute.

Kumara, again, means one who destroys evil. Ignorance is the highest evil and is the cause of Jivatva. It is due to ignorance that one regards oneself as the body; one's wife, one's children, and one's home as real, as one's beloveds, and as belonging to oneself. The Lord destroys this illusion by putting an end to the root-cause, viz. ignorance by His upadesa about one's real nature or identity.

Courtesy: skandagurunatha website