names that I have before me, the translations are Lord of Felicity,

Lord of Bliss, and Passionate one. Does anyone know how that

translation came about when all the dictionary definitions are so

negative? What is the spiritual lesson of this transformation of the

translation?

Yogendra

After thinking about this and doing a bit of research, I think I might

have an answer to my own question. The definition of PRAMATTA in

Sanskrit is almost identical to the definition of MAST in Hindi/Urdu.

Probably, the root word matta is the linguistic ancestor of the word

mast. A masti is so in love with God, he becomes intoxicated, crazed,

loses himself in ecstasy, falls passionately in love with the Lord, and

eschews " normal " behavior so that he can become totally lost in God.

This comes up in the lyrics of many qawwalis. It makes sense to me,

when we are in a relationship of pramatta, unmatta, and matta with our

Beloved Muruga, we are in total devotion. God makes it possible to

reach him through these very human qualities. He hold out the light to

us to come to His Felicity, Bliss, and Passion in the very human ways

that we know.

Yogendra

dhandapani , " stinger9oh " <stinger9oh wrote:

>

> Names 15, 16, and 17 of the Sri Subramanya Ashtottara Sata Namavali

are

> matta, pramatta, and unmatta. The dictionary definitions of these

> names are drunk, dissolute, and insane. In the translation of the

> names that I have before me, the translations are Lord of Felicity,

> Lord of Bliss, and Passionate one. Does anyone know how that

> translation came about when all the dictionary definitions are so

> negative? What is the spiritual lesson of this transformation of the

> translation?

>

> Yogendra

>

Matta or Mast means a state of intoxication. However, it has negative connonations only if it is associated with alcohol consumption. You can be "mast" in the company of a very adorable child, you can get "mast" with the sheer beauty of a piece of music and so on. (Some people are so positive and cheerful, you feel energized in their company. That is a Mast feeling in their company) Pramatta or Dissolute, on the other hand, does have negative connotations. It means self-indulgent, depraved, debauched. I wish I knew why such terms were applied to describe Lord Murugan. I do know that, in common parlance, faithfulness is associated with Lord Rama, and unfaithful person is talked about as "I thought

he was Rama, but he turned out to be Murugan". Maybe a reference to his having 2 spouses? Again, this kind of negative judgment is a mystery. Most deities we know have got more than one spouse. Anmatta or Insane is not so complex to understand. All persons with a high degree of mysticism appear weird and even insane to common folks who are bound by very set rules and limited view of things. But liberated souls have no such boundaries. So their behavior looks kinky a.k.a. insane to the unliberated ones. In this sense, Anmatta could even be a compliment because it denotes unbounded freedom, zero

restriction, and therefore behavior that is so expansive and so energized that its like a "mad frenzy", absolute bliss, absolute liberation! As for Lord of Felicity, Lord of Bliss - these are very relational terms. I do not have the exact word to describe Felicity. But it covers a range of meanings - happy relationships, harmonious vibes, festive nature of relationships. "Passionate one" is not a surprise because Murugan is born of Fire (from the fire of Shiva's third eye). Passionate people are those who are very intense in the achievement of any of their goals. If a task is very challenging, it requires intense concentration, focus and effort to achieve success. Any

surprise that Murugan is the The Passionate One? He was born for War! Emotionally too, Murugan is very expressive and very responsive when you connect with him. A typical quality in passionate people. Unfortunately, passion is very narrowly translated to belong only to the sexual domain. Sorry for the delay in reply, but I needed to draw upon not just my knowledge, but also express it as accurately as possible. Hope this has been helpful. Patricia stinger9oh <stinger9oh wrote: After thinking about this and doing a bit of research, I think I might have an answer to my own question. The definition of PRAMATTA in Sanskrit is almost identical to the definition of MAST in Hindi/Urdu. Probably, the root word matta is the linguistic ancestor of the word mast. A masti is so in love with God, he becomes intoxicated, crazed, loses himself in ecstasy, falls passionately in love with the Lord, and eschews "normal" behavior so that he can become totally lost in God. This comes up in the lyrics of many qawwalis. It makes sense to me,

when we are in a relationship of pramatta, unmatta, and matta with our Beloved Muruga, we are in total devotion. God makes it possible to reach him through these very human qualities. He hold out the light to us to come to His Felicity, Bliss, and Passion in the very human ways that we know.Yogendradhandapani , "stinger9oh" <stinger9oh wrote:>> Names 15, 16, and 17 of the Sri Subramanya Ashtottara Sata Namavali are > matta, pramatta, and unmatta. The dictionary definitions of these > names are drunk, dissolute, and insane. In the translation of the 108 > names that I have before me, the translations are Lord of Felicity, > Lord of Bliss, and Passionate one. Does anyone know how that > translation came about when all the dictionary definitions are so > negative? What is the spiritual

lesson of this transformation of the > translation?> > Yogendra>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.