IndiaDivine.org

Thiruvilayadal in SUN TV

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Mr. Meyyappan & other members,Here is some info on Tiruvilaiyadal Puranam :-1. Tiryvilayadal Puranam is actually Tiruvilaiadar Puranam - I am not sure if R and L are vikalpa as per grammar rules but the original book is entitled Tiruvilaiyadar Puranam.

2. The Tamil Puranam was composed by one Sri Pananjyoti Munivar some 600 years ago and there are translations in Tamil published.3. Tiruvilaiyadar puranam originally appears in the Skanda Puranam as " Sri Halasya Mahatmyam " ; though I am unable to find such a khanda in the Skanda Puranam that is available at present (two critical editions). What I have seen are two editions based on the North Indian recession of the Skanda Purana which is also called the Khanda recession. The southern recession of the purana is called the adhyaya recession and I am yet to come across one (i.e. I have not perused any south ed. books).

4. Tiruvilaiyadar Puranam was also made into a Maha-Kavyam by one of the greatest Siva Bhaktas of all time Sri Neelakantha Dikshitar (adopted son of Sri Appaya Dikshitar; Appaya Dikshitar who is said to be an incarnation of Lord Siva). This work is entitled " Sri Shivaleelarnavam " and was published by Sri Vani Vilas Syndicate, Srirangam some 50 years ago. Neither the publishing house exists not the book (out of print). Those of our friends who know kannada may be delighted to know that a translation of Sri Shivaleearnavam (Tiruvilayadar Puranam) is currently apprearing in Sri Shankara Kripa; a spiritual monthly published from Bangalore by Sri Sringeri Math. I have gone through a few issues and it is a good translation without any faults or ommissions.

5. Tiruvilaiyadar puranam / Halasya Mahatmyam is primarily the greatness of Halasya - also known as Madhura (in Sanskrit) Tiru Alavai (in Tamil) - Madurai.6. It describes the origins of the city, its making and the spritual grandeur and magnificance of Madurai.

7. More importantly it describes 64 leelas or divine sports of Lord Soma Sundara in the city of Madurai, the avatara of Goddess Meenakshi and other details of the Pandyan Dynasty. Other details like the fight of Twashta, Vishwarupa, Indra are also mentioned.

8. The purana also is the primary source of the Sthala Puranam of Madurai meenakshi Temple.9. It is a well known fact that Lord Shiva has three eyes. And sometimes it is euologized that the three canonical puranams viz. Tiruvilaiyadar Puranam, Tiruttondar Puranam and Kanda Puranam are like the three eyes of the Supreme Lord!

That's all. Hope this info was useful.-- Regards,R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄ|| Tiruchitrambalam ||

Guest guest

Muruga Saanam

Excellent Information by our Moderator.

Regarding the 'R' in the phrase ThiruviLayAdaRpurANam the first syllable is " ThiruviLayAdal " when written separately. But when it joins with the succeding word " purANam " to form a single phrase, as per puNarchi Vidhi (rule of tamil grammar) the l becomes R.

I think the serial is following some official text like that of Sri Paranjyothi Munivar and trying to be as representative of the text as possible.

Muruga Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On 5/21/08, R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄ <arunagirinathar wrote:

Dear Mr. Meyyappan & other members,Here is some info on Tiruvilaiyadal Puranam :-1. Tiryvilayadal Puranam is actually Tiruvilaiadar Puranam - I am not sure if R and L are vikalpa as per grammar rules but the original book is entitled Tiruvilaiyadar Puranam.

2. The Tamil Puranam was composed by one Sri Pananjyoti Munivar some 600 years ago and there are translations in Tamil published.3. Tiruvilaiyadar puranam originally appears in the Skanda Puranam as " Sri Halasya Mahatmyam " ; though I am unable to find such a khanda in the Skanda Puranam that is available at present (two critical editions). What I have seen are two editions based on the North Indian recession of the Skanda Purana which is also called the Khanda recession. The southern recession of the purana is called the adhyaya recession and I am yet to come across one (i.e. I have not perused any south ed. books).

4. Tiruvilaiyadar Puranam was also made into a Maha-Kavyam by one of the greatest Siva Bhaktas of all time Sri Neelakantha Dikshitar (adopted son of Sri Appaya Dikshitar; Appaya Dikshitar who is said to be an incarnation of Lord Siva). This work is entitled " Sri Shivaleelarnavam " and was published by Sri Vani Vilas Syndicate, Srirangam some 50 years ago. Neither the publishing house exists not the book (out of print). Those of our friends who know kannada may be delighted to know that a translation of Sri Shivaleearnavam (Tiruvilayadar Puranam) is currently apprearing in Sri Shankara Kripa; a spiritual monthly published from Bangalore by Sri Sringeri Math. I have gone through a few issues and it is a good translation without any faults or ommissions.

5. Tiruvilaiyadar puranam / Halasya Mahatmyam is primarily the greatness of Halasya - also known as Madhura (in Sanskrit) Tiru Alavai (in Tamil) - Madurai.6. It describes the origins of the city, its making and the spritual grandeur and magnificance of Madurai.

7. More importantly it describes 64 leelas or divine sports of Lord Soma Sundara in the city of Madurai, the avatara of Goddess Meenakshi and other details of the Pandyan Dynasty. Other details like the fight of Twashta, Vishwarupa, Indra are also mentioned.

8. The purana also is the primary source of the Sthala Puranam of Madurai meenakshi Temple.9. It is a well known fact that Lord Shiva has three eyes. And sometimes it is euologized that the three canonical puranams viz. Tiruvilaiyadar Puranam, Tiruttondar Puranam and Kanda Puranam are like the three eyes of the Supreme Lord!

That's all. Hope this info was useful.-- Regards,R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄ|| Tiruchitrambalam ||

Visit Your Group

Get in Shape

on

Find a buddy

and lose weight.

Moderator Central

Get answers to

your questions about

running Y! Groups.

Popular Y! Groups

Is your group one?

Check it out and

see.

Guest guest

I do watch the serial with my daughter in the US, I understand that

its a TV serial and its got its limitations, however it could have

been done a bit better giving importance to details.

Esp, veerabahu and brothers, the kids dialogues were totally lost.

Conceptually there should be more attention paid esp when young kids

watch the serial.

-- Ravi

dhandapani , " S Meyyappan " <smeyyappan

wrote:

>

> Muruga Saranam

>

> Dear Members,

>

> Now there is a daily serial in SUN TV from Mon to FRI. From the

name I

> thought it is Thiruvilayadal of Lord Siva as in the old Tamil movie

by the

> same name. Though I think it is the same (i.e. Lord Siva's leelas)

when I

> watch the episodes it is all about Lord Muruga now. I was pleasantly

> surprised to see a quality serial in Tamil, that too in these days

TV

> serials full of vengeance, revenge, slandering, scandaling, and so

on...

>

>

> I am very very sorry that I had not informed about this a few days

earlier.

> The important episodes of Avatharam of Lord Muruga is over. Now the

leelas

> of Lord Muruga is going on. I am sure all of you will enjoy seeing

this

> because they have picturised very nicely and dialogues are also

very good.

> The story and dialogues seem to reflect exactly the Puranas as I

have heard

> them from some of the lectures of Sri Kirupanada Variyar Swamigal.

I dont

> see any false bhakthi being propagated as seen in some of the

commercial

> spiritual films. I am sure most of you will like this, but the only

problem

> is it is all in Tamil. Hope by His grace (and miracle) some one

subtitles

> them in English regularly for the benefit of those of His bhakthas

who don't

> know Tamil.

>

>

> It is an excellent piece which we should not miss and I did not

really

> expect this kind of serial at this time, in this channel (SUN TV)

that too

> made in a good way (in many senses).

>

> I think it is all only due to His Grace and Love for us.

>

> May All Glories be to Lord Balamuruga Who is none other than Lord

Shiva

> Himself !!!

>

> Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara !!!

>

> Muruga Saranam

>

> With Best Regards

> Meyyappan S

>