IndiaDivine.org

Thaipoosam and Kavadi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Learned Members

Recently we witnessed the mega festival of Lord Muruga viz Thaipoosam. I have been curious about one point and I hope to get explanation from any of you.

I read about Sarpa Kaavadi and Matsya Kaavadi, and it means carrying snakes or fish in the kavadi. Is this really true?

If it is true, then are these animals carried live in the kaavadi or are they cooked? Please enlighten me on this.

Thanks

Patricia

I do not know much about sarpa kavadi, but I recollect one of the elder members of our family having told this incident about matsya kavadi.Back in the good old times, people used to carry fished cooked (boiled) at the foot of Swamimalai. As they reached the top near the shrine, amazingly the fish would regain life and start jumping in the pots!

I am told that this phenomenon has been attested by the Jagadguru Shankaracharya of Sri Sharada Peetham, Sringeri - His Holiness Sri Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamigal - a great Jivanmukta. It is said that he has attributed this rare and seemingly un-natural phenomenon (contradicting to established laws of nature) to the grace of Lord Swaminatha.

Regards,R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄhttp://www.arunagirinathar.co.cc|| Tiruchitrambalam ||

2009/2/11 Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000

Dear Learned Members

Recently we witnessed the mega festival of Lord Muruga viz Thaipoosam. I have been curious about one point and I hope to get explanation from any of you.

I read about Sarpa Kaavadi and Matsya Kaavadi, and it means carrying snakes or fish in the kavadi. Is this really true?

If it is true, then are these animals carried live in the kaavadi or are they cooked? Please enlighten me on this.

Thanks

Patricia

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

Why would anyone want to do this? Even if the fish come back to life, why subject them to the torture of boiling? If people so need such a miracle, they should boil themselves to death in expectation of being brought back to life. When people carry heavy weights, pierce themselves with hooks, needles, and spears it makes sense. However, this matsya kavadi is truly sickening.

Yogendra

--- On Tue, 2/10/09, R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄ <arunagirinathar wrote:

R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄ <arunagirinatharRe: Thaipoosam and Kavadidhandapani Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 11:50 PM

I do not know much about sarpa kavadi, but I recollect one of the elder members of our family having told this incident about matsya kavadi.Back in the good old times, people used to carry fished cooked (boiled) at the foot of Swamimalai. As they reached the top near the shrine, amazingly the fish would regain life and start jumping in the pots!I am told that this phenomenon has been attested by the Jagadguru Shankaracharya of Sri Sharada Peetham, Sringeri - His Holiness Sri Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamigal - a great Jivanmukta. It is said that he has attributed this rare and seemingly un-natural phenomenon (contradicting to established laws of nature) to the grace of Lord Swaminatha.Regards,R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄhttp://www.arunagir inathar.co. cc|| Tiruchitrambalam ||

2009/2/11 Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ >

Dear Learned Members

Thanks

Patricia