IndiaDivine.org

Kanthar Anubhuthi - verse 34

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Transliteration:

singaara madanThaiyar thee neRi pOy, mangaamal enakku varam tharuvaay sankraama sikhaa vala shanmukhanE, gangaa naThi baala krupaakaranE. 34

Meaning:

Not to get lost in romantic women's evil ways, And be ruined; — Grant me this boon of grace. O Lord Shanmukha, with Peacock battle-waging and fierce! O Divine Son of river Ganga! O Embodiment of Grace! "O Lord Shanmukha with the battle-waging Peacock! O Son of river Ganga! O Embodiment of Grace! Grant me this boon that I may not be dimmed (in spirit) by going into the evil ways of enchanting, romantic (public) women."

Detailed Commentary:

Sex and Ego will persist until one attains God-realization

Sex and ego persist almost till the end — till one attains God-realization. Especially when one renounces home and wealth and remains in seclusion, there are chances of his going astray into the net of enchanting maidens. Here is, therefore, an appeal to Lord Shanmukha asking for a boon, to be saved from such a pitfall. This is a direct and simple prayer, which is the specialty of this verse. In most of the verses, Arunagirinathar's prayer is not so direct as in this one. "When will you grant? Should I suffer? How long?" — such are the pathetic appeals in the other verses; but here a direct request as, "Grant me a boon." This is very significant. This shows that though one may not be troubled by sex or attracted and enchanted by women, yet, one can never feel confident enough that he has overcome lust, or that he will not fall a pray to sex. Hence, the prayer to the Lord for His grace, as a measure of protection against any chance falling into the ways of sex, as the same can never be ruled out at any stage

Guest guest

Dear Tiru Ramaswami,THank you for posting this and the previous articles. This one was particularly interesting because of the geographical references to Lord Muruga and their modern day names and location aswell.

Thank you again.Regards,R. ÅšivarÄmakṛṣṇa Å›armÄhttp://www.arunagirinathar.co.cc|| Tiruchitrambalam ||