IndiaDivine.org

No messages from our group members :( [2 Attachments]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you very much Yogendra. And pl do not apologise for long replies. Knowledgeable people will indeed have many points to convey!

Patricia--- On Wed, 9/9/09, Stinger <stinger9oh wrote:

Stinger <stinger9ohRe: No messages from our group members :( [2 Attachments]dhandapani Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 5:41 PM

Dear Members,

On a very basic level, since Mars is the Roman God of War he is identified with Lord Muruganas the warrior he sometimes is. How this related to the planet, I am not sure.

As a Latinist, I have been fascinated by the many cognates between Latin and Tamil, e.g. vetri and victoria, pati and pati (to suffer, exactly the same in both languages). There is is rare book on this topic that lists hundreds and hundreds of such cognates.

For this reason, I have been interested in the possibility that there is a relationship between Lord Murugan and the Roman God Mercury (Mercurius). Both are eternally beautiful youths and both are known for speed. Mercury carries a wand, the caduceus. In the upper part of the caduceus, two snakes crisscross the rod. (See pic to which has been added the wings of Mercury). I have spoken to several people who see a relationship of this symbol to sushumna with the ida and pingala nadis. This is interesting because many devotees associate Lord Muruga with the kundalini shakti and see the vel as the fully risen shakti, thus a symbol of enlightenment. Also if you look at the vel of Swaminatha Swami in Swamimalai the outline is similar to the caduceus. I believe that Lord Senthil Andavar in Thiruchendur has the same-shaped vel.

The caduceus well predates the Romans since it is first seen in ancient Mesopotamia. I have read a number of posts from the Tamil Araichi that contend that the Tamil and Sumerian languages are related, so there might be an interesting connection here. There are also some good arguments that the Latin language has its origin in Western Asia.

While writing about this I googled "Murugan Mercury" and found the following footnote quote on Murugan.org: "The forceful attribution of Muruga with Mars is clumsy at best, it stems from Sanskritizing attributions that taut him as the God of War. But his character is most definitely Mercurial in nature, and as the Greeks and Romans erected posts and shrines to honor Mercury at all junctions, we can see the relationship is more than superficial. " (Tirumurugarruppadai or 'Guide to Lord Murugan' by Nakkira Deva NayanarEnglish translation by Layne Little). BTW, the roadposts he mentions were set up because Mercury was the God of merchants (mercatores in Latin) in Rome. He is also the God of thieves. Westerners have a hard time understanding that. But

in Bhagavad-Gita we are asked if it is possible to distinguish the slayer from the slain, and so here the seller from the thief.

Sorry to have written so much about this, but a few people have voiced the opinion that we need more postings here Yogendra

To learn about yoga practice,living and philosophy, please visit my website --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ > wrote:

Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ >Re: No messages from our group members :(dhandapani@gro ups.comWednesday, September 9, 2009, 12:49 AM

Haha, yes its been very quiet. Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling like that.

But if we are not in MHO's league for quanity of postings, the Quality of messages in our group is sky high! And that's a happy thing.

A question here: is the planet Mars associated with Lord Murugan? If so, why? Can any members enlighten here?

Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, samuraigokhale <samuraigokhale@ .co. in> wrote:

samuraigokhale <samuraigokhale@ .co. in> No messages from our group members :(dhandapani@gro ups.comTuesday, September 8, 2009, 6:30 PM

Muruga Saranam.Dear group members,For the last 2 weeks there is no messages from our scholarly Members. Please spend at least 10 minutes to post some useful information in this group. It will give knowledge to all.In a group called MHO, the people are sending approximately 10 messages in an hour. Our group should reach to the people especially the young age people like me :) .For that I am requesting our administrator to take some actions and it will take the Greatness of Murugan Bhakthi everywhere.I hope the administrator will take some effort for my request.Thanks/Regards,Anand Gokhale.