Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The 1st temple is "Lord Venkateshwara Temple , Birmingham , United Kingdom"

The 2nd is Malibu Hindu Temple , Malibu , California , US

The 3rd is Shiva-Vishnu Temple , Livermore , California , US

The 4rth is Lord Vishnu Temple , Angkor , Cambodia

The 5th is Prambanan Shiva Temple , Central Java , Indonesia

The 6th is Sri Venkateswara Swami Temple of Greater Chicago - Aurora , Illinois , United States

The 7th is BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir - Toronto , Canada

The 8th is Sri Siva Vishnu Temple , Washington DC , United States

The 9th is BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, London ( Neasden Temple ), United States

The 10th is Sri Murugan Temple “ Batu Caves â€, Penang , Malaysia

The 11th is Sri Venkateswara Temple , Bridgewater , NJ , US

The 12th is Mother Temple of Besakih, Bali , Indonesia

The 13th is Murugan Temple , Sydney , Australia

The 14th is Venkateswara Swami temple , Riverdale near Atlanta , Georgia , US

The 15th is Sri Venkateswara Swami Temple , Helensburgh, Sydney , Australia

The 16th is Velmurugan Gnana Muneeswarar Temple , Rivervale Crescent Sengkang , Singapore

The 17th is Sri Meenakshi Devasthanam - Pearland , Texas , US

The 18th is Ekta Mandir, Irving , Texas , US

The 19th is Sri Venkateshwara Temple - New Jersey , US

The 20th is Sri Lakshmi Temple - Ashland , MA , US

The 21st is Sri Venkateswara Swami Temple , Pittsburgh , US

The 22nd is Shiva - Vishnu Temple of Melbourne , Melbourne , Australia iva Vishnu Temple of South Florida Inc, FL, US

The 23rd is Sri Murugan Temple , London , UK

The 24rth is Quad City Hindu Temple , Rock Island , IL , US

The 25th is Sri Prasanna Venkateswara Swami Temple , Memphis , Tennessee , US

The 26th is Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple or Sri Perumal Temple , Little India , Serangoon Road, Singapore

The 27th is Arulmigu Sri Raja Kaliamman Temple , Johor Baru , Malaysia - The only Hindu Glass Temple abroad

Thank You,

Priya

The 23rd is

stinger9oh <stinger9ohdhandapani Sent: Tue, October 27, 2009 4:39:52 PM Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~

Thank you for this wonderful collection of pictures! I wish we had all the locations. Angkor Wat in Cambodia(#4) and Batu Caves (#10)in Malaysia are easily recognizable. I know two of the others and they interest me very much.Number 5 is Candi Loro Jonggrang, a very ancient Siva temple near Prambanan, Java, Indonesia. In addition to its great beauty, there is a very interesting tradition there. The Muslim Sultan of Jogyakarta goes there annually for pooja! Even after 700 years of Islam in Java, the Sultans still perform their family's ancient religious traditions.Number 2 is the Sri Venkateswara in Malibu, California, serving the Los Angeles Hindu community, Vaishnavite and Saivite. It maintains very high standards of worship and serving the cultural needs of the community. In the Santa Monica Mountains, it is in a marvelous setting for the Lord of the Seven Hills. I went there many times when I lived in Los Angeles. One of my

fondest memories was taking part in a lakhsarchana, 100 repetitions of the 1000 names of Murugan.Yogendradhandapani@gro ups.com, Radhakrishnan nair <vprnair1966@ ...> wrote:>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------> Vijayaprasad - <vprasad99@. ..>> Oct 26, 2009 7:15 PM> Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~> To:> > > > > ------------ --------- ---------> Windows 7: It works the way you want. Learn> more.<http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen2:

102009>>

Thank you Yogendra, for those explanations. Can someone please explain which temple is in which country, and any interesting story/tradition that goes with it?

For example, the story of the Sultan of Jogjakarta's traditional ritual is very true. There is also another interesting tradition.

There is a volcano called Merapi in Jogyakarta which has got a personality of its own, going by the beliefs and practices of the people. In this Muslim environment, there is a heriditary "caretaker" of the mountain. He can "understand" the mountain. Living on a slope (south?) of the mountain, he can tell when its seriously going to erupt, and when you should not take its disturbance seriously. So, only if he descends the mountain will the rest of the local population follow suit.

Often, the caretaker would go to the top of the mountain to meditate and "communicate" with the mountain. And some local chieftain would make an annual visit to the caretaker and present him with traditional gifts.

Some years ago, the Indonesian authorities had issued the Orange alert, which is the highest level of the alarm, signalling a volcanic eruption. Many people were evacuated against their will and lodged in safe shelters. Though the volcanic activity spew lava on its slopes, the caretaker's portion in the mountain was very green and safe. The old man refused to move as he declared that Merapi was just moody; she was not going to erupt.

Well, the caretaker was right and nothing disastrous happened. All the seismologists and vulcanists were confounded!

Re the ancient Siva temple in Candi Loro Jonggrang, is it an active temple? Are there Hindu priests, and are prayers conducted as per Saivite tradition (abshisheks etc)?

In this regard, I'm rather surprised that nobody in the group has remarked or commented about the reported shiv-ling in the Kaaba shrine. When I was witnessing a Shiva homa recently, I noticed the priests clad in the same kind of seamless garment that Muslim pilgrims in Mecca wear.

I do not want to offend any sentiments, just seeking some info(if there is any out there).

Patricia

--- On Tue, 10/27/09, stinger9oh <stinger9oh wrote:

stinger9oh <stinger9oh Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~dhandapani Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 4:39 PM

Thank you for this wonderful collection of pictures! I wish we had all the locations. Angkor Wat in Cambodia(#4) and Batu Caves (#10)in Malaysia are easily recognizable. I know two of the others and they interest me very much.Number 5 is Candi Loro Jonggrang, a very ancient Siva temple near Prambanan, Java, Indonesia. In addition to its great beauty, there is a very interesting tradition there. The Muslim Sultan of Jogyakarta goes there annually for pooja! Even after 700 years of Islam in Java, the Sultans still perform their family's ancient religious traditions.Number 2 is the Sri Venkateswara in Malibu, California, serving the Los Angeles Hindu community, Vaishnavite and Saivite. It maintains very high standards of worship and serving the cultural needs of the community. In the Santa Monica Mountains, it is in a marvelous setting for the Lord of the Seven Hills. I went there many times when I lived in Los Angeles. One of my

fondest memories was taking part in a lakhsarchana, 100 repetitions of the 1000 names of Murugan.Yogendradhandapani@gro ups.com, Radhakrishnan nair <vprnair1966@ ...> wrote:>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------> Vijayaprasad - <vprasad99@. ..>> Oct 26, 2009 7:15 PM> Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~> To:> > > > > ------------ --------- ---------> Windows 7: It works the way you want. Learn> more.<http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL:

ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen2: 102009>>

Muruga Saranam

Dear Patricia Madam,

There were some messages posted few weeks ago and a discussion was goin on about the Kaaba in Mecca. You can find them from our archive during last week of August and 1st week of September.

Muruga Saranam

Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara !

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000 wrote:

Thank you Yogendra, for those explanations.  Can someone please explain which temple is in which country, and any interesting story/tradition that goes with it?

For example, the story of the Sultan of Jogjakarta's traditional ritual is very true.  There is also another interesting tradition. 

There is a volcano called Merapi in Jogyakarta which has got a personality of its own, going by the beliefs and practices of the people.  In this Muslim environment, there is a heriditary " caretaker " of the mountain.  He can " understand " the mountain.  Living on a slope (south?) of the mountain, he can tell when its seriously going to erupt, and when you should not take its disturbance seriously.  So, only if he descends the mountain will the rest of the local population follow suit.

Often, the caretaker would go to the top of the mountain to meditate and " communicate " with the mountain.  And some local chieftain would make an annual visit to the caretaker and present him with traditional gifts.

Some years ago, the Indonesian authorities had issued the Orange alert, which is the highest level of the alarm, signalling a volcanic eruption.  Many people were evacuated against their will and lodged in safe shelters.  Though the volcanic activity spew lava on its slopes, the caretaker's portion in the mountain was very green and safe.  The old man refused to move as he declared that Merapi was just moody; she was not going to erupt.

Well, the caretaker was right and nothing disastrous happened.  All the seismologists and vulcanists were confounded! 

Re the ancient Siva temple in Candi Loro Jonggrang, is it an active temple?  Are there Hindu priests, and are prayers conducted as per Saivite tradition (abshisheks etc)?

In this regard, I'm rather surprised that nobody in the group has remarked or commented about the reported shiv-ling in the Kaaba shrine.  When I was witnessing a Shiva homa recently, I noticed the priests clad in the same kind of seamless garment that Muslim pilgrims in Mecca wear.

I do not want to offend any sentiments, just seeking some info(if there is any out there).

Patricia

--- On Tue, 10/27/09, stinger9oh <stinger9oh wrote:

stinger9oh <stinger9oh Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~

dhandapani Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 4:39 PM

Thank you for this wonderful collection of pictures! I wish we had all the locations. Angkor Wat in Cambodia(#4) and Batu Caves (#10)in Malaysia are easily recognizable. I know two of the others and they interest me very much.

Number 5 is Candi Loro Jonggrang, a very ancient Siva temple near Prambanan, Java, Indonesia. In addition to its great beauty, there is a very interesting tradition there. The Muslim Sultan of Jogyakarta goes there annually for pooja! Even after 700 years of Islam in Java, the Sultans still perform their family's ancient religious traditions.

Number 2 is the Sri Venkateswara in Malibu, California, serving the Los Angeles Hindu community, Vaishnavite and Saivite. It maintains very high standards of worship and serving the cultural needs of the community. In the Santa Monica Mountains, it is in a marvelous setting for the Lord of the Seven Hills. I went there many times when I lived in Los Angeles. One of my fondest memories was taking part in a lakhsarchana, 100 repetitions of the 1000 names of Murugan.

Yogendra

dhandapani@gro ups.com, Radhakrishnan nair <vprnair1966@ ...> wrote:

>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------> Vijayaprasad - <vprasad99@. ..>> Oct 26, 2009 7:15 PM> Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~> To:> >

> > > ------------ --------- ---------> Windows 7: It works the way you want. Learn> more.<http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen2: 102009>

>

Thank you Mr Meyappan.

I went thru the link, and also discovered additional links on the topic of the shiv-ling in the Kaaba. They appear very convincing, and can be eye-openers. Since this is often a spiritual discussion and philosophy discussion group, I was wondering if anybody could give interesting views or discussion on this.

Of course, this has to be within the parameters of decency, and no offence should be intended.

Thanks again

Patricia--- On Thu, 10/29/09, S Meyyappan <smeyyappan wrote:

S Meyyappan <smeyyappanRe: Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~dhandapani Date: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 5:38 AM

Muruga Saranam

Dear Patricia Madam,

There were some messages posted few weeks ago and a discussion was goin on about the Kaaba in Mecca. You can find them from our archive during last week of August and 1st week of September.

Muruga Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ > wrote:

Thank you Yogendra, for those explanations. Can someone please explain which temple is in which country, and any interesting story/tradition that goes with it?

For example, the story of the Sultan of Jogjakarta's traditional ritual is very true. There is also another interesting tradition.

There is a volcano called Merapi in Jogyakarta which has got a personality of its own, going by the beliefs and practices of the people. In this Muslim environment, there is a heriditary "caretaker" of the mountain. He can "understand" the mountain. Living on a slope (south?) of the mountain, he can tell when its seriously going to erupt, and when you should not take its disturbance seriously. So, only if he descends the mountain will the rest of the local population follow suit.

Often, the caretaker would go to the top of the mountain to meditate and "communicate" with the mountain. And some local chieftain would make an annual visit to the caretaker and present him with traditional gifts.

Some years ago, the Indonesian authorities had issued the Orange alert, which is the highest level of the alarm, signalling a volcanic eruption. Many people were evacuated against their will and lodged in safe shelters. Though the volcanic activity spew lava on its slopes, the caretaker's portion in the mountain was very green and safe. The old man refused to move as he declared that Merapi was just moody; she was not going to erupt.

Well, the caretaker was right and nothing disastrous happened. All the seismologists and vulcanists were confounded!

Re the ancient Siva temple in Candi Loro Jonggrang, is it an active temple? Are there Hindu priests, and are prayers conducted as per Saivite tradition (abshisheks etc)?

In this regard, I'm rather surprised that nobody in the group has remarked or commented about the reported shiv-ling in the Kaaba shrine. When I was witnessing a Shiva homa recently, I noticed the priests clad in the same kind of seamless garment that Muslim pilgrims in Mecca wear.

Patricia

--- On Tue, 10/27/09, stinger9oh <stinger9oh > wrote:

stinger9oh <stinger9oh > Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~dhandapani@gro ups.comTuesday, October 27, 2009, 4:39 PM

Thank you for this wonderful collection of pictures! I wish we had all the locations. Angkor Wat in Cambodia(#4) and Batu Caves (#10)in Malaysia are easily recognizable. I know two of the others and they interest me very much.Number 5 is Candi Loro Jonggrang, a very ancient Siva temple near Prambanan, Java, Indonesia. In addition to its great beauty, there is a very interesting tradition there. The Muslim Sultan of Jogyakarta goes there annually for pooja! Even after 700 years of Islam in Java, the Sultans still perform their family's ancient religious traditions.Number 2 is the Sri Venkateswara in Malibu, California, serving the Los Angeles Hindu community, Vaishnavite and Saivite. It maintains very high standards of worship and serving the cultural needs of the community. In the Santa Monica Mountains, it is in a marvelous setting for the Lord of the Seven Hills. I went there many times when I lived in Los Angeles. One

of my fondest memories was taking part in a lakhsarchana, 100 repetitions of the 1000 names of Murugan.Yogendra

dhandapani@gro ups.com, Radhakrishnan nair <vprnair1966@ ...> wrote:>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------> Vijayaprasad - <vprasad99@. ..>> Oct 26, 2009 7:15 PM> Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~> To:> > > > > ------------ --------- ---------> Windows 7: It works the way you want. Learn> more.<http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen2: 102009>>

Muruga saranam

Dear Patricia Madam,

We have to be careful as there could be many distorted views on this. As of now there is no Shiv Linga except the stone of mercy (black stone) in the corner outside. People will simply send convincing mails without any proof. There were many many idols long back which were removed during the time of Prophet. There could have been Shiv Lingas or there could not have been. There have been idols for sure, but no clear evidence or recorded history on Shiv Lingas or Shiv agama Pujas having taken place there.

Muruga Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000 wrote:

Thank you Mr Meyappan.

I went thru the link, and also discovered additional links on the topic of the shiv-ling in the Kaaba.  They appear very convincing, and can be eye-openers.  Since this is often a spiritual discussion and philosophy discussion group, I was wondering if anybody could give interesting views or discussion on this.

Of course, this has to be within the parameters of decency, and no offence should be intended.

Thanks again

S Meyyappan <smeyyappanRe: Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~

dhandapani Date: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 5:38 AM

Muruga Saranam

Dear Patricia Madam,

Muruga Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

Thank you Yogendra, for those explanations.  Can someone please explain which temple is in which country, and any interesting story/tradition that goes with it?

For example, the story of the Sultan of Jogjakarta's traditional ritual is very true.  There is also another interesting tradition. 

There is a volcano called Merapi in Jogyakarta which has got a personality of its own, going by the beliefs and practices of the people.  In this Muslim environment, there is a heriditary " caretaker " of the mountain.  He can " understand " the mountain.  Living on a slope (south?) of the mountain, he can tell when its seriously going to erupt, and when you should not take its disturbance seriously.  So, only if he descends the mountain will the rest of the local population follow suit.

Often, the caretaker would go to the top of the mountain to meditate and " communicate " with the mountain.  And some local chieftain would make an annual visit to the caretaker and present him with traditional gifts.

Some years ago, the Indonesian authorities had issued the Orange alert, which is the highest level of the alarm, signalling a volcanic eruption.  Many people were evacuated against their will and lodged in safe shelters.  Though the volcanic activity spew lava on its slopes, the caretaker's portion in the mountain was very green and safe.  The old man refused to move as he declared that Merapi was just moody; she was not going to erupt.

Well, the caretaker was right and nothing disastrous happened.  All the seismologists and vulcanists were confounded! 

Re the ancient Siva temple in Candi Loro Jonggrang, is it an active temple?  Are there Hindu priests, and are prayers conducted as per Saivite tradition (abshisheks etc)?

In this regard, I'm rather surprised that nobody in the group has remarked or commented about the reported shiv-ling in the Kaaba shrine.  When I was witnessing a Shiva homa recently, I noticed the priests clad in the same kind of seamless garment that Muslim pilgrims in Mecca wear.

Patricia

stinger9oh <stinger9oh > Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~

dhandapani@gro ups.com Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 4:39 PM

Thank you for this wonderful collection of pictures! I wish we had all the locations. Angkor Wat in Cambodia(#4) and Batu Caves (#10)in Malaysia are easily recognizable. I know two of the others and they interest me very much.

Number 5 is Candi Loro Jonggrang, a very ancient Siva temple near Prambanan, Java, Indonesia. In addition to its great beauty, there is a very interesting tradition there. The Muslim Sultan of Jogyakarta goes there annually for pooja! Even after 700 years of Islam in Java, the Sultans still perform their family's ancient religious traditions.

Number 2 is the Sri Venkateswara in Malibu, California, serving the Los Angeles Hindu community, Vaishnavite and Saivite. It maintains very high standards of worship and serving the cultural needs of the community. In the Santa Monica Mountains, it is in a marvelous setting for the Lord of the Seven Hills. I went there many times when I lived in Los Angeles. One of my fondest memories was taking part in a lakhsarchana, 100 repetitions of the 1000 names of Murugan.

Yogendra

dhandapani@gro ups.com, Radhakrishnan nair <vprnair1966@ ...> wrote:>

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------> Vijayaprasad - <vprasad99@. ..>> Oct 26, 2009 7:15 PM> Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~> To:> > >

> > ------------ --------- ---------> Windows 7: It works the way you want. Learn> more.<http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen2: 102009>

>

Dear Mr Meyappan

Many thanks for your helpful reply. Yes, I agree we must be cautious of the information on the internet. I became very curious after I read some historian's account of the influence of Vedic culture in Saudi Arabia during pre-Islamic times.

If anybody has got any views on this, it will be interesting.

S Meyyappan <smeyyappanRe: Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~dhandapani Date: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 11:57 PM

Muruga saranam

Dear Patricia Madam,

We have to be careful as there could be many distorted views on this. As of now there is no Shiv Linga except the stone of mercy (black stone) in the corner outside. People will simply send convincing mails without any proof. There were many many idols long back which were removed during the time of Prophet. There could have been Shiv Lingas or there could not have been. There have been idols for sure, but no clear evidence or recorded history on Shiv Lingas or Shiv agama Pujas having taken place there.

Muruga Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ > wrote:

Thank you Mr Meyappan.

I went thru the link, and also discovered additional links on the topic of the shiv-ling in the Kaaba. They appear very convincing, and can be eye-openers. Since this is often a spiritual discussion and philosophy discussion group, I was wondering if anybody could give interesting views or discussion on this.

Thanks again

Patricia--- On Thu, 10/29/09, S Meyyappan <smeyyappan (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

S Meyyappan <smeyyappan (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Re: Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~dhandapani@gro ups.comThursday, October 29, 2009, 5:38 AM

Muruga Saranam

Dear Patricia Madam,

Muruga Saranam

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

Patricia

stinger9oh <stinger9oh > Re: Fwd: Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~dhandapani@gro ups.com Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 4:39 PM

fondest memories was taking part in a lakhsarchana, 100 repetitions of the 1000 names of Murugan.Yogendra

dhandapani@gro ups.com, Radhakrishnan nair <vprnair1966@ ...> wrote:>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------> Vijayaprasad - <vprasad99@. ..>> Oct 26, 2009 7:15 PM> Wonderful Indian Temples Abroad~!!~> To:> > > > > ------------ --------- ---------> Windows 7: It works the way you want. Learn> more.<http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen2: 102009>>