IndiaDivine.org

Sri Subramanya swamy Temple at Kundalipuram

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Padavedu is centrally located among Vellore, Thiruvannamalai and Arani in the Vellore – Polur (Thiruvannamalai) route. While going from

Vellore, there is a junction called Santhavasal at 32 km from Vellore town and from this junction you have to turn right (towards west) and travel further for about 6 kms to reach Padavedu. Padavedu, is a calm and scenic place that consists of 17 villages encircled by Jawadu hills, river and other

water bodies, paddy, coconut and plantain fields. There are more than 10 ancient temples with Renugambal temple as the most popular of them. This is one of the Sakthi sthalams of Thondai mandalam.

Sri Subramania Swamy Temple is located on a hill top, on the southern side of Sri Renugambal Temple. The panoramic view of this temple seen from the Renugambal Temple is beautiful. Three hundred well laid stone steps make the journey to this hill top temple less tedious. The finely sculpted idol of Moolavar Lord Subramania with his consorts Goddesses Valli and Deivanai standing on a peacock is quite impressive. Unlike in other places where Lord Subramania is seen seated on his peacock, here the Lord is standing on his peacock. The peacock is also seen not spreading its feathers. It carries a snake in its beaks. This idol is unique and the Lord is known for his boon granting.

Legend has it that Lord Subramania was conferred the title “Deva Senapathi†only on this hill top at the request of Goddess Renugambal.

SundararajanBeauty is His footprint showing us where He has passed - Aurobindo

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

Thank you for the posting. Can anyone tell me which side is Valli and which side is Devayanai? And is there any significance about the position? In some color pictures of Lord Murugan with His Consorts, I assume the green coloured goddess is Valli.

I shall appreciate some knowledge on this,

Patricia--- On Thu, 12/17/09, Sundararajan <yesyesrin wrote:

Sundararajan <yesyesrin Sri Subramanya swamy Temple at Kundalipuram"TSNarayanan" <teeyesen28, "nagarajan sivaswami" <rajanasn, "Babu Arunachalam" <vsfinancialadvisors, "Malayappan vaidyanathan" <svaidyam2001, "S Meyyappan" <smeyyappan, dhandapani , "Rama Narayanan" <a3homemailThursday, December 17, 2009, 6:25 AM

Padavedu is centrally located among Vellore, Thiruvannamalai and Arani in the Vellore – Polur (Thiruvannamalai) route. While going from Vellore, there is a junction called Santhavasal at 32 km from Vellore town and from this junction you have to turn right (towards west) and travel further for about 6 kms to reach Padavedu. Padavedu, is a calm and scenic place that consists of 17 villages encircled by Jawadu hills, river and other water bodies, paddy, coconut and plantain fields. There are more than 10 ancient temples with Renugambal temple as the most popular of them. This is one of the Sakthi sthalams of Thondai mandalam. Sri Subramania Swamy Temple is located on a hill top, on the southern side of Sri Renugambal Temple. The panoramic view of this temple seen from the Renugambal Temple is beautiful. Three hundred well laid stone steps make the journey to this hill top temple less tedious. The finely sculpted idol of Moolavar Lord Subramania with his consorts Goddesses Valli and Deivanai standing on a peacock is quite impressive. Unlike in other places where Lord Subramania is seen seated on his peacock, here the Lord is standing on his peacock. The peacock is also seen not spreading its feathers. It carries a snake in its beaks. This idol is unique and the Lord is known for his boon granting.

Legend has it that Lord Subramania was conferred the title “Deva Senapathi†only on this hill top at the request of Goddess Renugambal.

SundararajanBeauty is His footprint showing us where He has passed - Aurobindo

Yes, in most representations Valli is green and on the righthand side of the Lord. Valli is the pingala nadi and Devasena is ida. Lord Muruga is both sushumna and kundalini shakti itself. Yogendra

To learn about yoga practice,living and philosophy, please visit my website

Yes, Valli is the green goddess on Lord Murugan's right side, for She may be

regarded as a plant spirit from the earth (She is first discovered in a pit of

valli tubers by Vedars, hence her name), while Lord Murugan, Whose colour is

red, is the hunter-god associated with animals. Together united they represent

the fecundity or fertility of the earth in ancient Dravidian lore--in stark

contrast to the depiction of Skanda Kumara in Sanskritic lore.

The standard positioning of the two goddesses--Valli to Lord Murugan's right and

Devayanai to His left--'freezes' in time like a photograph, or rather depicts

the timeless moment, when Lady Devayanai takes Her place along side Her Lord,

Whom She finds to be consorting with Valli, Who has already occupied the

favoured right side, leaving only the less favoured left side to Devayanai, in

the divine configuration called Valli Devayanai Samedha Subrahmanya Swami.

This familiar configuration is found not only in this instance of gods and

goddesses, but analogically also in royal courts where the king or raja gives

the more auspicious preferred (right side) position to his wise minister, and

leaving the less auspicious (left side) position to his army commander. Even the

Devayanai's Sanskrit name Devasena ('Army of Gods') reminds us of Her

association with armies.

Standard iconography has frozen, as it were, iconic moments in the unending

stories of Hindu gods and goddesses, and nowhere is this more clear than in

Kaumara lore, worship, and art.

best regards,

Patrick Harrigan

editor

dhandapani , Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000 wrote:

>

> Thank you for the posting.  Can anyone tell me which side is Valli and which

side is Devayanai?  And is there any significance about the position?  In some

color pictures of Lord Murugan with His Consorts, I assume the green coloured

goddess is Valli.

>  

> I shall appreciate some knowledge on this,

>  

> Patricia

right side of lord murugan --- valli

left side--- deivanai--- On Fri, 18/12/09, katirkama <editor wrote:

katirkama <editor Re: Sri Subramanya swamy Temple at Kundalipuramdhandapani Date: Friday, 18 December, 2009, 12:13 AM

Yes, Valli is the green goddess on Lord Murugan's right side, for She may be regarded as a plant spirit from the earth (She is first discovered in a pit of valli tubers by Vedars, hence her name), while Lord Murugan, Whose colour is red, is the hunter-god associated with animals. Together united they represent the fecundity or fertility of the earth in ancient Dravidian lore--in stark contrast to the depiction of Skanda Kumara in Sanskritic lore. The standard positioning of the two goddesses--Valli to Lord Murugan's right and Devayanai to His left--'freezes' in time like a photograph, or rather depicts the timeless moment, when Lady Devayanai takes Her place along side Her Lord, Whom She finds to be consorting with Valli, Who has already occupied the favoured right side, leaving only the less favoured left side to Devayanai, in the divine configuration called Valli Devayanai Samedha Subrahmanya Swami. This familiar configuration is

found not only in this instance of gods and goddesses, but analogically also in royal courts where the king or raja gives the more auspicious preferred (right side) position to his wise minister, and leaving the less auspicious (left side) position to his army commander. Even the Devayanai's Sanskrit name Devasena ('Army of Gods') reminds us of Her association with armies. Standard iconography has frozen, as it were, iconic moments in the unending stories of Hindu gods and goddesses, and nowhere is this more clear than in Kaumara lore, worship, and art.best regards,Patrick Harriganeditor (AT) murugan (DOT) orgdhandapani@gro ups.com, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ ...> wrote:>> Thank you for the posting. Can anyone tell me which side is Valli and which side is Devayanai? And is there any significance about the position? In some color pictures of Lord Murugan with His Consorts, I assume the green coloured goddess is Valli.>  > I shall appreciate some knowledge on this,>  > Patricia

Muruga Saranam

Thankyou Sir, for posting such an awesome picture of Lord Muruga. It is beautiful beyond description.

In Tiruchendur I have seen that Valli Ammayar's sannithi is in the left (to the right of Lord Muruga) and Deivayanai Ammaiyar's Sannithi on the right (to the left side of Lord). I have heard a song whic says " Kuramaathu Valli Idamaaha vaithu mayilEri vantha Kumaraa " May be the poet sees from his view. What is right to Lord is left for him. In Thiruparangundram where Valli Ammayar is not there, Deivanai Ammaiyar is to the left of Lord and Naratha Rishi is in the right, both in the positions of paying obeisances. Deivanai Ammaiyar is known by two names - Deiva Yaanai - The celestial Elephant. As per Variyar's explanation her birth has a connection with the celestial elephant. I shall listen to it again and come back with correct explanation. The elephant delivers the child to Indra I think. The other name is Deva Senai. Both Deivaanai and Valli are daughters of Lord Vishnu who came from His two eyes. Through different ways they take birth again to marry Lord Muruga. Deivaanai Ammaiyaar prays always to Lord Muruga and so gets married to Him immediately when He is ready. Valli Ammaiyar prays to Him during prayer times and so gets married second. This is mentioned by Variyar in his discourse. Lord Himself comes in disguise as we all know. HE also mentions He has come even though Her devotion is not as much as it was before (as Sundaravalli), out of His infinite Love for all Jeevas.

Vetrivel Muruganukku Arohara!

With Best Regards

Meyyappan S

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:23 AM, bala vasan <cbmks1222 wrote:

right side of lord murugan --- valli

left side--- deivanai--- On Fri, 18/12/09, katirkama <editor wrote:

katirkama <editor Re: Sri Subramanya swamy Temple at Kundalipuram

dhandapani Date: Friday, 18 December, 2009, 12:13 AM

Yes, Valli is the green goddess on Lord Murugan's right side, for She may be regarded as a plant spirit from the earth (She is first discovered in a pit of valli tubers by Vedars, hence her name), while Lord Murugan, Whose colour is red, is the hunter-god associated with animals. Together united they represent the fecundity or fertility of the earth in ancient Dravidian lore--in stark contrast to the depiction of Skanda Kumara in Sanskritic lore.

The standard positioning of the two goddesses--Valli to Lord Murugan's right and Devayanai to His left--'freezes' in time like a photograph, or rather depicts the timeless moment, when Lady Devayanai takes Her place along side Her Lord, Whom She finds to be consorting with Valli, Who has already occupied the favoured right side, leaving only the less favoured left side to Devayanai, in the divine configuration called Valli Devayanai Samedha Subrahmanya Swami.

This familiar configuration is found not only in this instance of gods and goddesses, but analogically also in royal courts where the king or raja gives the more auspicious preferred (right side) position to his wise minister, and leaving the less auspicious (left side) position to his army commander. Even the Devayanai's Sanskrit name Devasena ('Army of Gods') reminds us of Her association with armies.

Standard iconography has frozen, as it were, iconic moments in the unending stories of Hindu gods and goddesses, and nowhere is this more clear than in Kaumara lore, worship, and art.best regards,Patrick Harrigan

editor (AT) murugan (DOT) org

dhandapani@gro ups.com, Patricia Jay <patriciajay2000@ ...> wrote:

>> Thank you for the posting.  Can anyone tell me which side is Valli and which side is Devayanai?  And is there any significance about the position?  In some color pictures of Lord Murugan with His Consorts, I assume the green coloured goddess is Valli.

>  > I shall appreciate some knowledge on this,>  > Patricia