IndiaDivine.org

Narada's Pride ( Story)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Narada’s Pride

While once doing meditation, some beautiful apsaras from the heavenly planets came down to his asrama in an attempt to seduce him. However, Narada was so absorbed in spiritual consciousness that he was quite unaffected. Although they had tried to make him fall down, he did not curse them, but, smiling, merely told them to leave. However, after they had gone, Narada Muni began to feel very proud of himself. Becoming overwhelmed with false ego, he approached his father, and proudly declared that he had overcome lust. Although congratulating him, his father anxiously warned him to keep this to himself, and not to tell

his guru, Shankara, or Lord Vishnu. However, not heeding this advice, Narada Muni next approached Shankara, and told him the same thing. After praising him warmly, Shankara cautioned him against telling this to Vishnu. But Narada, blinded by pride, at once approached the Lord. Glorifying Him, he declared :

"O omniscient Lord, by Your mercy I have overcome lust!"

Although outwardly appearing pleased with him, Lord Vishnu could see the disease that had come in Narada Muni's heart, and knew that if left unchecked it would spread throughout his whole body and kill him. Therefore, to save him, He created an illusory world. Within that world there was a king with an incomparably beautiful daughter, whom he wanted to marry off. By the Lord's arrangement, Narada met the king, who told him that he could also compete for her hand in marriage, but that he was leaving the ultimate choice of husband in her hands. Upon seeing her, Narada Muni fell completely in love with her. However, he knew that she would never consider him. So he immediately went to Lord Vishnu, saying :

"O Lord, I have never asked you for anything. But now I have an urgent request. Please make me as beautiful as Yourself!"

Smiling affectionately, the Lord answered :

"Yes, I must certainly act for your welfare. I will surely help you."

Having received the Lord's blessings, Narada Muni left and went to the princess, feeling sure that she would not be able to resist him now. However, upon arriving, he was surprised that the princess seemed not even to notice him. She even appeared faintly disgusted by his presence. Although he walked very closely to her, and indicated by his facial expressions that he was the best choice of partner that she could possibly make, it was all to no avail. Meanwhile, two of Narada's Godbrothers continually praised him sarcastically, saying that there was no-one in the world so beautiful and irresistible as him. However, Narada Muni was

so blinded by lust, that he did not at all realise that they were only mocking him. He had completely forgotten Vishnu, and was sunk in lust. This is the situation of all conditioned souls in this world. One controlled by lust becomes bereft of all intelligence and discrimination, just as Narada was. In that condition, we criticise many Vaishnavas, and think that we are so qualified. So we must be very careful. While Narada Muni was trying so hard to woo the princess, suddenly Lord Vishnu arrived on the back of Garuda. As soon as the beautiful princess set eyes on the Lord, she knew that He was the person she wanted as her husband.

She put her garland on Him, Who, smiling, took her onto His lap, and at once flew off with her.

Narada could not believe his eyes. His worshipable Lord, in Whom he had given his implicit trust, had now insulted and cheated him. Then, seeing his reflection in some water, he recoiled in horror to see the face of a monkey staring back at him!. Furiously, Narada went and confronted Lord Vishnu, and proceeded to curse Him and the princess.

"Although I have had to suffer separation from my beloved for only one hour, I curse You to take birth on the earth, where you will be forced to suffer separation from the princess for one year!"

Then Lord Vishnu lifted the veil of Yogamaya, and Narada realised the real situation. The princess was none other than Laksmi devi Herself. Repenting most wretchedly, Narada cried out:

"O Lord ! I was in such an illusion, but you were only trying to help me. I have committed such aparadha against You."

However, the Lord was overjoyed to have His devotee back, and answered :

"I am very happy to undergo the effects of your curse. As Sita and Rama, Laksmi and I will advent on the planet earth, and by hearing the heart-rending story of our tribulations and pastimes, people will very easily attain Vaikuntha."

The Lord went on to explain that the material world is such a dangerous place, that one may very easily be derailed at any time, and that we must therefore be very careful. After this, Narada went to the material world, and sang the glories of Sita and Rama everywhere .

Complied by : Ajeet K Mall

Meet the all-new My – Try it today!