IndiaDivine.org

Seven Steps of Devotion

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pranam to all Vaishnavas,

Seven steps of devotion

In all our sacred works, there is greater stress on the need to develop virtues and cherish values. One of them refers to the outstanding quality of moral rectitude. The noble character of a person is judged by his affability which makes him move closely with grace and intimacy with those who lack wealth and wisdom. When a distinguished spouse of a sage praised Sita for having followed the footsteps of Rama though He was dispossessed of power and wealth, She, in reply, referred to His moral stature as His asset. In a similar vein, in her epistle sent by princess Rukmini to Krishna (in the Bhagavatam), she says that though she had not known Him personally, yet she had heard of His qualities. The seven verses in her communication expressing her desire to marry Him, represent the seven steps of devotion and an individual soul's eagerness to be in communion with Krishna.

The contents of this letter, sent to Krishna through a messenger, show Rukmani's grief over the attempts being made to give her in marriage to one whom she does not like and hence asking Him to come and take her. ``Your excellences entering deep into the heart, make my mind set on You, shame having fled away from it. Lion among men, You who are Your own compeer in point of pedigree, good disposition, learning, youthfulness, opulence and glory, will attract and please every human being. A noble woman will only be proud of electing you as her husband. You have been chosen by me and this body has been bestowed on you. Let not the man decided for me, touch this body, that belongs to You, even

as a jackal will defy the quarry of a lion. If the Supreme Lord has thoroughly been propitiated by me through religious observances, sacrificial performances, charitable gifts, fasting, offering worship, You should arrive and carry me away and not the other one, winning me as a price of valour.''

The tower of strength in the devotion displayed by the innocent, unsophisticated maiden of the village where Krishna lived and their poignant feelings on being kept separated for a brief time, thereby revealing how a devotee yearns to be ever in the presence of God and pines to be in His presence forever. ``Let me remain as a shrub in the place where He spent His days'' says a sincere devotee. Lord Krishna too values even the dust particles of His devotees from the place where they had walked. It is mentioned that when sage Narada once visited Krishna, he found the latter keeping such dust so collected, being carefully preserved in a small box.

Please Chant :Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare HareHare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare HareAnd realize Krishna .

Krishna’s Dasi, Jayamma

The all-new My – Get yours free!