IndiaDivine.org

Divine grace of Krishna, man's enduring wealth

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pranam to all Vaishnavas ,

Divine grace of Krishna , man's enduring wealth

There cannot be two opinions about the necessity of material comforts to lead a contented life in the world. Human beings spend almost their entire lifetime to acquire wealth with the belief that it will give them happiness. If one ponders over this phenomenon it will become evident that even those who are wealthy do not seem to stop hankering for more and hence they do not seem to be satisfied at any stage.

A saint used to give the analogy of selecting footwear to illustrate how much wealth is ideal. If the size of the sandals is too small it hurts, whereas if it too big one stumbles and falls down. Likewise, one should have just enough money to lead a comfortable life ; extremes like poverty and luxury bring only problems with them. As wealth is only relative it will be worthwhile considering how much is ideal for each individual.

It is in the right management of the money at one's disposal that is the key to resolving how much is enough for one. Even if a person earns a small amount of money, if he is able to manage his finances properly then he can find happiness in worldly life. Further, it should always be kept in mind that wealth is only a means to lead a comfortable life and not the end because it cannot give happiness by itself. If this fact is not remembered pursuit of wealth will become an obsession at the cost of missing out on other interests which make life meaningful.

Another common feature that can be observed was that a wealthy person commanded respect but in truth he suffered alienation because it was difficult to trust others. If one pauses to consider what is true wealth there are various definitions available in tradition.

Tiruvalluvar has observed that the hearing faculty is wealth as it is obvious that we learn a lot by listening. Knowledge is also considered wealth as it enables a person to earn by applying it and he commands respect also. Unlike material wealth knowledge will never forsake a person. One's children are also considered as wealth in traditional societies as they care for their parents in old age.

An entirely different view is held by those who keep the ultimate well being of mankind in mind. According to them, it is spiritual knowledge which is man's true wealth. Andal in her hymn Tiruppavai refers to Lord Krishna as the enduring wealth. If one has merited Krishna's grace then He blesses him with all necessities of life ; without His grace even if one commands luxuries there will not be true happiness.

Lord Krishna says in Gita Chapter 9 :

Sloka 13

mahatmanas tu mam partha / daivim prakrtim asritahbhajanty ananya-manaso / jnatva bhutadim avyayam( O Partha, the mahatmas, however, having taken shelter of My divine nature, know Me to be the original and imperishable cause of all beings. They constantly engage in My bhajana with their minds fixed exclusively on Me. )

Sloka 14

satatam kirttayanto mam / yatantas ca drdha-vratahnamasyantas ca mam bhaktya / nitya-yukta upasate(Constantly chanting the glories of My names, qualities, form and pastimes,endeavouring with determined vows, and offering pranamas with

devotion they engage in My worship, remaining always united with Me.)

OM NAMO BHAGAVATE VASUDEVAYA!!!

Krishna’s Dasi, Jayamma

Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'