IndiaDivine.org

Knowledge must ripen jnto wisdom

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hare Krishna. Pranam to all Vaishnavas,

Knowledge must ripen into wisdom

The scriptural texts like the Puranas and the epics are not mere books ; the Mahabharata, for instance, is a veritable landscape, life itself opening endless vistas. There is ethics binding the epic from beginning to end, there are sages and sinners too. Behind all is the kind director guiding the destiny of all - Bhagavan Krishna. This is not just the history of the Pandavas and the Kauravas, but that of Sri Krishna the ‘God of Gods’ when He incarnated as a human being in this world.

Four episodes stand out in this epic as independent texts by themselves because the wisdom they embody is relevant to all times. They are the Sanatsujatiya, Vidhuraniti, Bhagavad Gita and the Yakshaprasna. The focus is on Dharma in the Yakshaprasna and the question and answer method is adopted to convey the intricacies of Dharma. The situation happened to be a matter of life and death and the glory of Yudhishtra was in the manner he replied without allowing emotions to disturb his mind. He got back not just one but all his brothers because of his adherence to Dharma. This dialogue between the elder Pandava and the Yaksha, who was his father, Dharma, come in disguise to test his adherence

to righteousness, is a document of wisdom.

The Pandavas came to the lake after they failed to find the stag which had run away with the Arani sticks used to make fire belonging to an Agnihotrin. He had approached the Pandavas who felt it their duty to help him and when they could not trace it, became very remorseful. Tired and thirsty they were drawn to the lake one by one. An ethereal voice warned each one of them to answer its questions before drinking the water and without paying heed to it they fell down dead. When all his brothers did not return Yudhishtra went in search of them and was stunned to find all his valiant brothers lying dead.

The same voice cautioned him that his brothers had not paid attention to it and met this fate. Yudhishtra, on the other hand, patiently answered the Yaksha who appeared in a gruesome form before him. The subject matter of this exchange is encylcopaedic ranging from what makes the Sun rise to the most wonderful thing in the world for which Dharmaputra pointed out, ``Day after day there enter into the Temple of Death countless lives. Looking at this spectacle, the rest of them, those who remain, believe themselves to be permanent, immortal.'' Yudhishtra proved that it was not enough to be valiant and intelligent but must be wise and truthful too. Knowledge must mellow into wisdom in human

lives .

Bhagavan Krishna says in Gita , Chapter 10 ,

Sloka 4 & 5 :

bhuddhir jnanam asammohah / ksama satyam damah samahsukham duhkham bhavo 'bhavo / bhayam cabhayam eva caahimsa samata tustis / taop danam yaso 'yasahbhavanti bhava bhutanam / matta eva prthag-vidhah( Intelligence, knowledge, freedom from anxiety, tolerance, truthfulness, control of the senses, control of the mind, happiness, distress, birth, death, fear, fearlessness, nonviolence, equanimity, satisfaction, austerity, charity, fame and criticism – all these diverse qualities of the living beings originate from Me. )

Sloka 9, 10 & 11 :

mac-citta mad-gata-prana / bodhayantah parasparamkathayantas ca mam nityam / tusyanti ca ramanti ca

tesam satata-yuktanam / bhajatam priti-purvakamdadami buddhi-yogam tam / yena mam upayanti te

tesam evanukampartham / aham ajnana-jam tamahnasayamy atma-bhava-stho / jnana-dipena bhasvata

( Those whose minds are absorbed in Me and whose lives are wholeheartedly devoted to My service, derive great satisfaction and bliss from constantly enlightening one another about My tattva and performing kirtana of My nama, rupa, guna and lila.Upon those who perform bhajana to Me with love, yearning for My eternalassociation, I bestow the transcendental knowledge by which they can come to Me.Only out of compassion for these ananya bhaktas do I, dwelling within the core of their hearts, destroy the darkness of samsara, born of ignorance, with the blazing lamp of transcendental knowledge. )

OM NAMO BHAGAVATE VASUDEVAYA!!!

SriKrishnaDasa RajeevSend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.