IndiaDivine.org

GITA Summary, Chapter - 6 of 18

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hare Krishna. Pranam to all Vaishnavas,

I surrender unto the lotus feet of Bhagavan Sri Krishna, begging for His merciful blessings to, advise Gita-rahasya to His Bhaktas of this group .

GITA Summary of Chapter – 6 (Atma Samyama Yoga)

(Yoga of Self Control)

Preface

The Sadhaka (Spiritual practitioner ) can meditate on the Bhagavan only when the heart has been purified. A genuine Yogi or Sannyasi (Acsetic) is devoid of any mundane desire, because no one can attain perfection in yoga as long as he still has desires for material enjoyment. A ‘Sanyasi’ (wandering Ascetic), who actually has entirely left ordinarily life and is dead to his family, is here defined in terms of karmayoga as merely one who mentally has become detached from action. "To him gold or stones or earth are one". A striking test for a person ; viewing a pile of gold with the same emotion as a pile of stones or earth will really show the nature of one's mental

detachment.

It is necessary to regulate eating and recreational activities if one wants to attain perfection in yoga. This perfection means: 1) seeing Bhagavan as Antaryami (in-dweller) in the hearts of all living entities, and 2) realizing that all living beings exist only due to the support and shelter of Bhagavan.

Bhagavan Krishna confirms the following in this chapter :

“Undoubtedly the mind is restless and hard to control. Yet, by constant practice and true renunciation, it can be controlled”.

“Such a Yogi who worships Me, with one-pointed intelligence, knowing that I and the all-pervading Supersoul are one, remains always in Me”.

“A person who is engaged in auspicious acts never attains an unfavorable destination.”

“He, who constantly worships Me with full faith, always thinking exclusively of Me within himself, is, in My opinion, the topmost of all Yogis” .

Summary

Sloka 1sri bhagavan uvaca :

anasritah karma-phalam / karyam karma karoti yahsa sannyasi ca yogi ca / na niragnir na cakriyah(Sri Bhagavan said: One who performs his prescribed duties without seeking its fruit is both Sannyasi and Yogi. The one who lights no fire, and performs no duty is neither a Sannyasi nor a Yogi .)Sloka 2yam sannyasam iti prahur / yogam tam viddhi pandavana hy asannyasta-sankalpo / yogi bhavati kascana(O Arjuna, What is called renunciation you should know to be the same as yoga, or linking oneself with the Supreme, because one can never become a Yogi unless he renounces the desire for sense gratification.)

Sloka 3aruruksor-muner yogam / karma karanam ucyateyogarudhasya tasyaiva / samah karanam ucyate(For the one who tries for Dhyana-yoga , work is said to be the means; and for one who is already elevated in yoga, renouncing material activities is said to be the means.)Sloka 4yada hi nendriyarthesu / na karmasv anusajjatesarva-sankalpa-sannyasi / yogarudhas tadocyate(A person is said to be ‘Yoga-arudha’(adept in yoga) when, having renounced all material desires, he neither acts for sense gratification nor engages in fruitive activities.)

Sloka 5uddhared atmanatmanam / natmanam avasadayetatmaiva hy atmano bandhur / atmaiva ripur atmanah(One must lift the self by detaching his mind from the material world and not allow it to degrade him, because the mind can become either the friend or the enemy.)Sloka 6bandhur atmatmanas tasya / yenatmaivatmana jitahanatmanas tu satrutve / varttetatmaiva satru-vat(For one who has conquered his mind, the mind is the best of friends; but for one who has failed to do so, his mind will remain the greatest enemy.)Sloka 7jitatmanah prasantasya / paramatma

samahitahsitosna-sukha-duhkhesu / tatha manapamanayoh(For one who has conquered the mind, the Supersoul is already reached , attaining supreme bliss. To such a man happiness and distress, heat and cold, honor and dishonor are all the same.)Sloka 8jnana-vijnana-trptatma / kutastho vijitendriyahyukta ity acyate yogi / sama-lostasma-kancanah(A person is said to be established in self-realization and is called a Yogi [or mystic] when he is fully satisfied by virtue of the acquired knowledge and realization. Such a person is situated in transcendence and is self-controlled. He sees everything--whether it be pebbles, stones or gold--as the same.)

Sloka 9suhrn-mitrary-udasina- / madhyastha-dvesya-bandhususadhusv api ca papesu / sama-buddhir visisyate(One who looks upon well-wishers, friends, enemies, neutral people, arbitrators, envious people, relatives, saintly persons and sinners with equal vision is considered ‘Visishta’( Noble).Sloka 10yogi yunjita satatam / atmanam rahasi sthitahekaki yata-cittatma / nirasir aparigrahah( A Yogi should always engage his body, mind and self in relationship with the Supreme God ; he should live alone in a secluded place and should always carefully control his mind. He should be free from desires and feelings of possessiveness.)Slokas

11-12sucau dese pratisthapya / sthiram asanam atmanahnaty-ucchritam nati-nicam / cailajina-kusottaram

tatra-aikaagram manh kritwa yat-chitendria kriyah

upvishyasane yujadyogam-aatma-vishudhye (To practice yoga, one should go to a secluded place and should lay ‘kusa-grass’ on the ground and then cover it with a deerskin and a soft cloth. The seat should be neither too high nor too low and should be situated in a sacred place. The Yogi should then sit on it very firmly and practice yoga to purify the heart by controlling his mind, senses and activities and fixing the mind on one point. )Slokas 13-14samam kaya-siro-grivam / dharayann acalam sthirahsampreksya nasikagram svam / disas canavalokayan

prasantatma vigata-bhir / brahmacari-vrate sthitahmanah samyamya mac-citto / yukta asita mat-parah(One should hold one's body, neck and head erect in a straight line and fix his vision solely on the tip of the nose. Thus, with a peaceful and controlled mind, devoid of fear, one should meditate upon Me within the heart and make Me the ultimate goal of life.)Sloka 15yunjann evam sadatmanam / yogi niyata manasahsantim nirvana-paramam / mat-samstham-adhigacchati(Thus constantly applying his mind to Me by following this process, the Yogi of disciplined mind attains the everlasting peace, consisting of supreme bliss, which abides in Me .)Sloka 16natyasnatas tu yogo'sti / na caikantam-anasnatahna cati-svapna-silasya / jagrato naiva

carjuna(O Arjuna, a person who eats too much or too little, or by one who sleeps too much or too little can not become a Yogi.)Sloka 17yuktahara-viharasya / yukta-cestasya karmasuyukta-svapnavabodhasya / yogo bhavati duhkha-ha(He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation and work can destroy all material miseries by practicing the yoga.)Sloka 18yada viniyatam cittam / atmany evavatisthatenisprhah sarva-kamebhyo / yukta ity ucyate tada(When the Yogi, by practice of yoga, disciplines his mental activities and becomes situated in transcendence--devoid of all material desires--he is said to be well established in yoga.)

Sloka 19yatha dipo nivata-stho / nengate sopama smrtayogino yata-cittasya / yunjato yogam atmanah(Just as a lamp in a windless place does not flicker, so a Yogi whose mind is controlled remains steady in his meditation on self-realization.)Slokas 20-23yatroparamate cittam / niruddham yoga-sevayayatra caivatmanatmanam / pasyann atmani tusyatisukham atyantikam yat tad / buddhi-grahyam atindriyamvetti yatra na caivayam / sthitas calati tattvatahyam labdhva caparam labham / manyate nadhikam tatahyasmin sthito na duhkhena / gurunapi vicalyate

tam vidyad duhkha-samyoga / viyogam yoga-samjnitamsa niscayena yoktavyo / yogo'nirvinna-cetasa

(In the stage of perfection called ‘trance’ (samadhi) , one's mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga. This perfection is characterized by one's ability to see the self by the pure mind and to relish and rejoice in the self. In that joyous state, one is situated in boundless transcendental happiness, realized through transcendental intelligence. Established thus, one never departs from the truth, and upon gaining this he thinks there is no greater gain. Being situated in such a position, one is never shaken, even in the midst of greatest difficulty. This indeed is actual freedom from all miseries arising from material contact.)

Sloka 24

sankalpa-prabhavan kamams / tyaktva sarvan asesatahmanasaivendriya-gramam / viniyamya samantatah

(One should engage oneself in the practice of yoga with determination and faith and not be deviated from the path. One should abandon, without exception, all material desires born of mental speculation and thus control all the senses on all sides by the mind ).

Sloka 25

sanaih sanair uparamed / buddhya dhrti-grhitayaatma-samstham manah krtva / na kincid api cintayet(Gradually, step by step, one should become situated in trance (samadhi) by means of intelligence sustained by full conviction, and thus the mind should be fixed on the self alone and should think of nothing else.)

Sloka 26yato yato niscalati / manas cancalam asthiramtatas tato niyamyaitad / admany eva vasam nayet(From wherever the mind wanders due to its flickering and unsteady nature, one must certainly withdraw it and bring it back under the control of the self.)Sloka 27prasanta-manasam hy enam / yoginam sukham uttamamupaiti santa-rajasam / brahma-bhutam akalmasam(The Yogi whose mind is fixed on Me easily attains the highest perfection of transcendental happiness. He is beyond the mode of passion, he realizes his qualitative identity with the Supreme,

and thus he is freed from all reactions of past sins.)Sloka 28yunjann evam sadatmanam / yogi vigata-kalmasahsukhena brahma-samsparsam / atyantam sukham asnute(Thus the self-controlled Yogi, constantly engaged in yoga practice, becomes free from all material contamination and achieves the highest stage of perfect happiness by realizing the Supreme .)Sloka 29sarva-bhuta-stham atmanam / sarva-bhutani catmaniiksate yoga-yuktatma / sarvatra sama-darsanah(A person who is linked in yoga realizes the Supreme (Me) everywhere. He observes Him as the Supersoul who is situated in all living entities, and observes all living entities in Him.)Sloka 30yo mam pasyati sarvatra / sarvanca mayi pasyatitasyaham na pranasyami / sa ca me na pranasyati(For one who sees Me in all beings and sees all beings

in Me, I am never lost, nor is he ever lost to Me.)Sloka 31sarva-bhuta-sthitam yo mam / bhajaty-ekatvam asthitahsarvatha varttamano 'pi / sa yogi mayi varttate(Such a Yogi, who worships Me with one-pointed intelligence , knowing that I and the all-pervading Supersoul are one, remains always in Me in all circumstances.)Sloka 32atmaupamyena sarvatra / samam pasyati yo 'rjunasukham va yadi va duhkham / sa yogi paramo matah(O Arjuna, he who, through self-realization, sees all living beings as equal to himself, and who considers their pleasure and pain to be his own, is the best Yogi. This is My opinion.)Sloka 33arjuna uvaca :

yo 'yam yogas tvaya proktah / samyena madhusudanaetasyaham na pasyami / cancalatvat sthitam sthiram(Arjuna said: O Madhusudana, the system of yoga which You have summarized appears impractical and unendurable to me, for the mind is restless and unsteady.)

Sloka 34cancalam hi manah Krishna / pramathi balavad drdhamtasyaham nigraham manye / vayor iva suduskaram(The mind is restless, turbulent, obstinate and very strong. And to control it, I think, is more difficult than controlling the wind, O Krishna.)

Sloka 35sri bhagavan uvaca :

asamsayam maha-baho / mano durnigraham calamabhyasena tu kaunteya / vairagyena ca grhyate(Sri Bhagavan said: Undoubtedly the mind is restless and hard to control. Yet, by constant practice and true renunciation, it can be controlled, O Mahabaho.)Sloka 36asamyatatmana yogo / dusprapa iti me matihvasyatmana tu yatala / sakyo' vaptum upayatah(For one whose mind is uncontrolled, self-realization is a difficult task. But he whose mind is controlled and who strives by right means is assured of success. This is My opinion.)Sloka 37arjuna uvaca :

ayatih sraddhayopeto / yogac calita-manasahaprapya yoga-samsiddhim / kam gatim Krishna gacchati(Arjuna asked: O Krishna, what is the destination of one who begins the process of yoga with faith but later, due to an uncontrolled mind, falls back into worldliness and fails to attain perfection in yoga?)Sloka 38kaccin nobhaya-vibhrastas / chinnabhram iva nasyatiapratistho maha-baho / vimudho brahmanah pathi( If one falls from both the processes of karma and yoga and becomes deviated from the path of attaining the Supreme, does he not perish like a riven cloud, with no shelter anywhere, O Mahabaho ?).Sloka 39etan me samsayam Krishna / chettum arhasy asesatahtvad-anyah samsayasyasya / chetta na hy upapadyate(O Krishna, this is my doubt and I implore You to remove it completely. Other than You, no one else can clear this doubt.)Sloka 40sri bhagavan uvaca :

partha naiveha namutra / vinasas tasya vidyatena hi kalyana-krt kascid / durgatim tata gacchati(Sri Bhagavan said: O Partha, such an unsuccessful Yogi is not lost either in this world or the next because, My dear friend, a person who is engaged in auspicious acts never attains an unfavourable destination.)Sloka 41prapya punya-krtam lokan / usitva sasvatih samahsucinam srimatam gehe / yoga-bhrasto 'bhijayate(One who deviates from the path of yoga after practising for only a short time attains the planets of the pious (heaven, etc) and, after enjoying there for many years, takes birth in a righteous and wealthy family.)Sloka 42atharva yoginam eva / kule bhavati dhimatametaddhi durlabhataram / loke janma yad idrsam(The yogi who deviates after practicing for a long time takes his birth in the home of enlightened Yogis . Such a birth is rare in this world.)Sloka 43tatra tam buddhi-samyogam / labhate paurva-daihikamyatate ca tato bhuyah / samsiddhau kuru-nandana(O Kuru-nandana, that unsuccessful yogi regains the divine consciousness of his previous birth, and he again endeavours to attain perfection in yoga. )Sloka 44purvaghyasena tenaiva / hriyate hy avaso 'pi sahjijnasur api yogasya / sabda-brahmativarttate(By virtue of the divine consciousness of his previous life, he automatically becomes attracted to the yogic principles--even without seeking them. Such a Yogi stands always above the ritualistic principles of the scriptures.)Sloka

45prayatnad yatmanas tu / yogi samsuddha-kilbisahaneka-janma-samsiddhas / tato yati param gatim(And when the yogi engages himself with sincere endeavor in making further progress, being washed of all contaminations, then ultimately, achieving perfection after many, many births of practice, he attains the supreme goal.)Sloka 46tapasvibhyo' dhiko yogi / jnanibhyo 'pi mato' dhikahkarmibhyas cadhiko yogi / tasmad yogi bhavarjuna(The Yogi is considered superior to the tapasvi (ascetic), the jnani and the fruitive worker. Therefore, O Arjuna, be a Yogi.)Sloka 47yoginam api sarvesam / mad-gatenantaratmanasraddhavan bhajate yo mam / sa me yuktatamo matah(He, who constantly worships Me with full faith, always thinking exclusively of Me within himself, is, in My

opinion, the topmost of all Yogis.)

Thus ends Srimad Bhagavad-Gita – Chapter Six – which gives pleasure to the bhaktas and is accepted by all saintly persons.

Ohm Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya!!!

SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev

(To Continue in next part ..)

NB - : The above is saved in the Folder, ‘Gita’ in ’s FILES. The chapter-wise summary of remaining (12) chapters of Bhagavad Gita , will be posted in (12) parts, in the coming days.

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos