IndiaDivine.org

GITA Summary , chapter - 9 of 18 .

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hare Krishna. Pranam to all Vaishnavas,

I surrender unto the lotus feet of Bhagavan Sri Krishna, begging for His merciful blessings to, advise Gita-rahasya to His Bhaktas of this group.

GITA Summary of Chapter – 9 (Raja-vidya-raja-guyha Yoga)

(Yoga Through the Most Confidential Knowledge)

Preface

This chapter of Bhagavad-gita is called the king of education because it is the essence of spiritual knowledge.

Bhagavn reveals that, the soul is eternally active, and its activities in the spiritual kingdom are the most confidential part of all knowledge.

If we perform a sinful act, then like a seed it takes time to fructify. There are sins which are still in the form of a seed, and there are others which are already fructified and are giving us fruit, which we are experiencing as distress and pain. But, the devotees of Sri Krishna are already freed from all reactions. This is confirmed in the Padma Purana :

aprarabdha-phalam papamkutam bijam phalonmukhamkramenaiva praliyetavisnu-bhakti-ratatmanam(For those who are engaged in the bhakti-yoga of Vishnu (Krishna) the Supreme Personality of Godhead, all sinful reactions, whether fructified, in the stock, or in the form of a seed, gradually vanish.)

Any person who is chanting the holy names of Krishna feels the transcendental pleasure and he very quickly becomes purified of all material contamination. Bhagavan Krishna says here that He is ready to accept from the devotee any kind of offering, never mind what. Even a leaf, a flower, a bit of fruit, or a little water, can be offered and will be accepted if offered with bhakti. This reveals that, bhakti-yoga can be executed in a happy mood.

The ‘non-devotees’ cannot accomplish this process of bhakti-yoga ; these ill-fated people, even after hearing all the evidence of Vedic literature from great personalities, still have no faith in Bhagavan Krishna.

The ‘Brahma-samhita’ confirms that, Krishna is the ‘Supreme God’ (isvarah paramah krissnah) . Bhagavan says in this chapter, "I am the enjoyer of all sacrifices because I am the supreme master. I am the ultimate goal". Without knowing this fact, less intelligent persons seek temporary benefits by worshiping ‘other Devatas’ ; they fail to achieve the ultimate result .

This knowledge is the king of education and can be joyfully performed.

This whole universe is pervaded by Me in My un-manifested form.

Under My direction, My yoga-maya repeatedly creates and annihilates this material world .

When I appear in My human-like form, foolish people cannot know Me as the Supreme God . All their hopes are in vain. They continuously take birth as atheistic ‘Asuras’ (demons) .

Great souls, bow down before Me and worship Me with bhakti. Constantly chanting My glories , they remain united with Me.

I am the Vedic ritual ; offering to the ancestors ; healing herb ; food grains ; the mantra ; ghee ; sacred fire; and the yajna .

I am the purifier, sustainer and ruler of this universe; its father, mother and grandfather.

I am the goal, the master, the witness, the abode, the refuge, and the dearest friend. I am the creation and the annihilation, the basis of everything, the resting place and the eternal seed.

For those who are always absorbed in thoughts of Me and worship Mewith bhakkti , I Myself attend to all their needs.

Those who worship ‘other devatas’ get temporary benefits only. They repeatedly suffer birth and death .

Whosoever offers to Me with bhakti a leaf, a flower, a fruit or even water, I will delightfully accept that offering.

For My devotees, I Myself attend to all their needs.

Even if the worst sinner worships Me , He quickly becomes righteous and attains eternal peace. My devotee never perishes.

Even the low-born, women, vaisyas , sudras , or whoever, are certain to attain the supreme destination if they take refuge in Me.

Always absorb your mind in Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances to Me and worship Me . In this way, being completely absorbed in Me , you will certainly come to Me.

Summary

Sloka 1sri-bhagavan uvaca :

idam tu te guhyatamam / pravaksyamy anasuyavejnanam vijnana-sahitam / yaj jnatva moksyase 'subhat(Sri Bhagavan said: O Arjuna, because you are non-envious, I shall impart to you this most confidential knowledge and realization, knowing which you shall be relieved of the miseries of material existence.)Sloka 2raja-vidya raja-guhyam / pavitram idam uttamampratyaksavagamam dharmyam / su-sukham karttum avyayam(This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct

perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of dharma (righteousness). It is everlasting, and can be joyfully performed.)Sloka 3asraddadhanah purusa / dharmasyasya parantapaaprapya mam nivarttante / mrtyu-samsara-vartmani(O Arjuna, those people who have no faith in this Dharma ,fail to reach Me. They wander in this material world of birth and death.)

Sloka 4maya tatam idam sarvam / jagad avyakta-murttinamat-sthani sarva-bhutani / na caham tesv avasthitah(This whole universe is pervaded by Me in My un-manifested form. All living beings are situated in Me, but I am not in them.)Sloka 5na ca mat-sthani bhutani / pasya me yogam aisvarambhuta-bhrn na ca bhuta-stho / mamatma bhuta-bhavanah(All that is created does not actually exist in Me. Behold My mystic opulence! My divine form creates and maintains all living beings and elements, yet I Myself am not situated in them.)Sloka 6yathakasa-sthito nityam / vayuh sarvatra-go mahantatha sarvani bhutani / mat-sthanity upadharaya(Just like the all-pervasive and limitless wind rests always in the sky, which isseparate from it, in the same way all living beings are situated in Me.)

Sloka 7sarva-bhutani kaunteya / prakrtim yanti mamikamkalpa-ksaye punas tani / kalpadau visrjamy aham(O Kaunteya , when the universal devastation occurs at the end of the millennium, all living beings enter in to My nature. And at the beginning of the next millennium , I again create them all by My potency, with their specific natures.)Sloka 8prakrtim svam avastabhya / visrjami punah punahbhuta-gramam imam krtsnam / avasam prakrter vasat(Through My nature , I repeatedly create this host of living beings who are bound by their karma, according to their individual

natures.)Sloka 9na ca mam tani karmani / nibadhnanti dhananjayaudasina-vad asinam / asaktam tesu karmasu(O Dhananjaya, since I remain detached from such acts as creation, like a neutral observer, these actions cannot bind Me.)Sloka 10mayadhyaksena prakrtih / suyate sa-caracaramhetunanena kaunteya / jagad viparivarttate(O Kaunteya, it is under My direction that the entire cosmic manifestation and all moving and non-moving beings are brought forth by My yoga-maya (internal potency). For this reason, the material world is created and annihilated again and again .)Sloka 11avajananti mam mudha / manusim tanum asritamparam bhavam ajananto / mama bhuta-mahesvaram(When I appear in My human-like form, foolish people with mundane intelligence disrespect Me, because they cannot know My nature

as the Supreme Lord of the entire universe. )Sloka 12moghasa mogha-karmano / mogha-jnana vicetasahraksasim asurincaiva / prakrtim mohinim sritah(The hopes of such foolish people for liberation, their fruitful actions and their culture of knowledge all go in vain. Thus, with their minds distracted, they adopt the deluded nature of Atheists and Asuras (Demons).Sloka 13mahatmanas tu mam partha / daivim prakrtim asritahbhajanty ananya-manaso / jnatva bhutadim avyayam(O Partha, on the other hand, great souls who have embraced the divine nature, knowing Me as the prime source of all lives and the imperishable eternal, worship Me constantly with none else in mind.)

Sloka 14satatam kirttayanto mam / yatantas ca drdha-vratahnamasyantas ca mam bhaktya / nitya-yukta upasate(Constantly chanting the glories of My names, qualities, form and pastimes, endeavoring with determined vows. bowing down before Me they constantly engage in My worship. They remain united with Me, at all times.)Sloka 15jnana-yajnena capy anye / yajanto mam upasateekatvena prthaktvena / bahudha visvato-mukham(Others ( who follow jnana-yoga ) worship me through their offering of knowledge ; some worship Me in My formless aspect

(Nirvisesha Brahman) as one with themselves ; while still others worship Me in My Universal Form , and some worship Me in diverse celestial forms. )Sloka 16aham kratur aham yajnah / svadhaham aham ausadhammantro 'ham aham evajyam / aham agnir aham hutam

(I am the Vedic ritual ; I am the offering to the ancestors ; I am the healing herb and the food grains ; I am the mantra ; I am the ghee ; I am the sacred fire and I am the sacred sacrifices (homa or yajna. )

Sloka 17

pitaham asya jagato / mata dhata pitamahahvedyam pavitram omkara / rk sama yajur eva ca

(I am the sustainer and ruler of this universe, its father, mother and grandfather, the one worth knowing, the purifier, the sacred syllable OM, and three Vedas-- Rg, Yajur, and Sama. )

Sloka 18

gatir bhartta prabhuh saksi / nivasah saranam suhrtprabhavah pralayah sthanam / nidhanam bijam avyayam

(I am the goal, the master, the witness, the abode, the refuge, and the most dear friend. I am the creation and the annihilation, the basis of everything, the resting place and the eternal seed.)

Sloka 19tapamy aham aham varsam / nigrhnamy utsrjami caamrtancaiva mrtyus ca / sad asac caham arjuna(O Arjuna , I radiate heat as the sun, using the rays I collect the water for rain; store it and then send back as rain. Arjuna. I am immortality as well as death. Both living beings and non-beings are in me .)

Sloka 20trai-vidya mam soma-pah puta-papayajnair istva svar-gatim prarthayantete punyam asadya surendra-lokamasnanti divyam divi deva-bhogan(Those who study the Vedas and drink the soma juice, seeking the heavenly planets, worship Me indirectly. Purified of sinful reactions, they take birth on the pious, heavenly planet of Indra, where they enjoy the celestial pleasures.)Sloka 21te tam bhuktva svarga-lokam visalamksine punye martya-lokam visantievam trayi-dharmam anuprapannagatagatam

kama-kama labhante(When they have thus enjoyed the heavenly pleasures and the results of their pious activities are exhausted, they return to this mortal world again. Thus those who seek sense enjoyment by adhering to the principles of the three Vedas achieve only repeated birth and death.)

Sloka 22ananyas cintayanto mam / ye janah paryupasatetesam nityabhiyuktanam / yoga-ksemam vahamy ham(However, for those who are always absorbed in thoughts of Me, and who worship Me with one-pointed devotion by every means, I Myself attend to their needs (i.e., achieve what they lack and preserve what they have) .Sloka 23ye 'py anya-devata-bhakta / yajante sraddhayanvitahte 'pi mam eva kaunteya / yajanty avidhi-purvakam(O Kaunteya, those who worship ‘other devatas’ with faith, actually worship Me alone, but in a way that is unauthorized.)Sloka 24aham hi sarva-yajnanam / bhokta ca prabhur eva cana tu mam abhijananti / tattvenatas

cyavanti te(I am the only master and enjoyer of all yajnas, but the worshipers of ‘other Devatas’ do not recognize Me in this true nature. Therefore, they fall from Me and repeatedly wander in the cycle of birth and death.)Sloka 25yanti deva-vrata devan / pitrn yanti pitr-vratahbhutani yanti bhutejya / yanti mad-yajino 'pi mam(Those who worship ‘other Devatas’ go to the planets of the Devatas, those who worship the Ancestors go to the planet of the Ancestors, those who worship the spirits and ghosts go to the planet of the spirits and ghosts. but, those who worship Me will definitely come to Me alone.)

Sloka 26patram puspam phalam toyam / yo me bhaktya prayacchatitad aham bhakty-upahrtam / asnami prayatatmanah(Whosoever offers to Me with bhakti a leaf, a flower, a fruit or even water, I will delightfully accept that offering .)

Sloka 27yat karosi yad asnasi / yaj juhosi dadasi yatyat tapasyasi kaunteya / tat kurusva mad-arpanam(O Kaunteya, whatever activities you perform, whatever you eat, whatever you sacrifice to sacred fire or give in charity and whatever penance you perform, offer them all to Me.)Sloka 28subhasubha-phalair evam / moksyase karma-bandhanaihsannyasa-yoga-yuktatma / vimukto mam upaisyasi( In this way you will be freed from bondage to work and its auspicious and inauspicious results. With your mind fixed on Me in this principle of

renunciation, you will be liberated and come to Me.)Sloka 29samo 'ham sarva-bhutesu / na me dvesyo 'sti na priyahye bhajanti tu mam bhaktya / mayi te tesu capy aham( I am equal to all. I hate no one, nor am I partial to anyone. But, whoever worships Me with ‘bhakti’ is in Me and I am also in him.)

Sloka 30api cet su-duracaro / bhajate mam ananya-bhaksadhur eva sa mantavyah / samyag vyavasito hi sah(Even if the worst sinner worships Me with true bhakti, he should be considered as virtuous ; for he has rightly decided his duty (i.e. , He is positive in his belief that there is nothing like devoted worship of Me).Sloka 31ksipram bhavati dharmatma / sasvac-chantim nigacchatikaunteya pratijanihi na me bhaktah pranasyati(He quickly becomes righteous and attains eternal peace. O Kaunteya, declare it

boldly that , My devotee never perishes. )Sloka 32mam hi partha vyapasritya / ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayahstriyo vaisyas tatha sudras / te 'pi yanti param gatim(O Partha, However weak or humble or sinful they may be , even the low-born, women, vaisyas , sudras , or whoever, are certain to attain the supreme destination if they take refuge in Me .)Sloka 33kim punar brahmanah punya / bhakta rajarsayas tathaanityam asukham lokam / imam prapya bhajasva mam(How much more, then, holy Brahmans and royal sages devoted to Me ! Therefore, having come to this temporary and miserable world, engage yourself in My worship).Sloka 34man-mana bhava mad-bhakto / mad-yaji mam namaskurumam evaisyasi yuktvaivam / atmanam mat-parayanah(Always absorb your mind in

Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances to Me and worship Me . In this way, being completely absorbed in Me , you will certainly come to Me.)Thus ends Srimad Bhagavad-Gita – Chapter Nine – Raja-vidya-raja-guhya Yoga, which gives pleasure to the bhaktas and is accepted by all saintly persons

Ohm Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya!!!

SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev

(To Continue in next part ..)

NB - : GITA chapters 1 to 9 are saved in the Folder, ‘Gita’ in ’s FILES. The chapter-wise summary of remaining (9) chapters of Bhagavad -gita , will be posted in (9) parts, in the coming days.

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos