IndiaDivine.org

GITA Summary, Chapter 10 of 18

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hare Krishna. Pranam to all Vaishnavas,

I surrender unto the lotus feet of Bhagavan Sri Krishna, begging for His merciful blessings to, advise Gita-rahasya to His Bhaktas of this group.

GITA Summary of Chapter – 10 (Vibhuti Yoga)

(Yoga through understanding the manifestations of Krishna)

Preface

In this chapter, Krishna indicates a few of His divine manifestations . Arjuna understands the truth that , Krishna Himself is the Supreme God and that various lords like Brahma, Siva , Subrahmanya , etc as well as the different goddesses are Krishna’s specific manifestations for particular purposes

The Brahma-samhita says , Krishna is the Supreme God , the prime cause of all causes. Here it is also stated by Krishna personally that He is the basic source of Brahma, Siva and other gods and goddesses.

One should not try to understand Krishna as a human being. If Krishna is known as the son of Devaki, then how can He be unborn? That is explained in Srimad-Bhagavatam : When Krishna appeared before Devaki and Vasudeva, He was not born as an ordinary child ; He appeared in His original divine form, and then He transformed Himself into an ordinary child.

When a person knows the goal of life and performs the fruitive activities as an offering to Krishna , he is acting in karma-yoga. When he knows that the goal is Krishna and does mental speculations to understand Him , he is acting in jnana-yoga . And when he knows the goal as Krishna and seeks Him completely by devotional service, he is acting in bhakti-yoga. Even if such a devotee has not attained knowledge from the scriptures or a Guru, if he is sincere in his devotional service he is helped by Krishna Himself within his heart.

Due to the contamination of material association, through many births, one's heart is always covered with the dust of materialism, but when one engages in devotional service and constantly chants Krishna’s names , the dust quickly clears. A sincere devotee does not have to worry about the material necessities of life; he need not be anxious, because when he removes the darkness from his heart, everything is provided automatically by Krishna who takes charge. This is the essence of the teachings of Bhagavad-gita .

Bhagavan Krishna confirms the following in this Chapter :

I am revealing this knowledge of My manifestations to you, for your welfare .

I am the prime source of all Devatas and Sages. I am the source of both material and spiritual worlds. Everything emanates from Me. Knowing this , the wise people worship Me with great joy .

Different qualities (both good and bad) of the living beings are created by Me alone. Anything that is, glorious, brilliant and powerful , is a spark of My splendor.

One who knows Me as unborn and Paramesvara is freed from all sins.

With their minds fixed on Me and lives surrendered to Me, My devotees enlighten one another about My greatness .

To My faithful devotee, I Myself dwelling in his heart as Supersoul , provide the yoga of wisdom, to reach Me.

I stand holding this entire universe by a single fragment of Myself .

Summary

Sloka 1sri-bhagavan uvaca :

bhuya eva maha-baho / srnu me paramam vacahyat te 'ham priyamanaya / vaksyami hita-kamyaya( Sri Bhagavan said: O Maha-baho, again hear My Supreme word. Desiring your welfare , I shall reveal this knowledge to you, since you love Me. ) Sloka 2na me viduh sura-ganah / prabhavam na maharsayahaham adir hi devanam / maharsinanca sarvasah(Neither the Devatas nor the great Sages know My origin, because I am in every respect the prime source of all Devatas and Sages. )

Sloka 3yo mam ajam anadin ca / vetti loka-mahesvaramasammudhah sa marttyesu / sarva-papaih pramucyate(He alone who knows Me as unborn, beginningless , and as Paramesvara (Supreme controller of all the worlds), is wise among the mortals and freed from all sins.)Sloka 4-5bhuddhir jnanam asammohah / ksama satyam damah samahsukham duhkham bhavo 'bhavo / bhayam cabhayam eva caahimsa samata tustis / taop danam yaso 'yasahbhavanti bhava bhutanam / matta eva prthag-vidhah(Discrimination, self-knowledge, patience , freedom from doubt and delusion, forgiveness, truthfulness, self-control and calmness, pleasure

and pain, birth, death, fear, fearlessness, nonviolence, equanimity, satisfaction , austerity, charity, fame and ill-fame ; are created by Me alone.)

Sloka 6maharsayah sapta purve / catvaro manavas tathamad-bhava manasa jata / yesam loka imah prajah(The seven great sages, such as Marici ; before them the four brahmarshis, such as Sanaka ; and the fourteen Manus (such as Svayambhuva), are all born from My form of Hiranyagarbha , through My mind . All creatures in this planet descend from them).

Sloka 7etam vibhutim yogam ca / mama yo vetti tattvatahso 'vikalpena yogena / yujyate natra samsayah(He who knows in truth My opulence and yogic power , has firm bhakti in Me. There is no doubt about this.)Sloka 8aham sarvasya prabhavo / mattah sarvam pravarttateiti matva bhajante mam / budha bhava-samanvitah(I am the source of both mundane and spiritual worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who know this well, worship Me with great joy in their hearts.)Sloka 9mac-citta mad-gata-prana / bodhayantah parasparamkathayantas ca mam nityam / tusyanti ca ramanti ca(Those whose minds are fixed on Me and

whose lives are surrendered to Me, derive great satisfaction from enlightening one another about my greatness and speaking about Me) .

Sloka 10tesam satata-yuktanam / bhajatam priti-purvakamdadami buddhi-yogam tam / yena mam upayanti te(Those whose minds are devoted to Me worship Me with great joy. I Myself give to them the yoga of wisdom, by which they can come to Me) .Sloka 11tesam evanukampartham / aham ajnana-jam tamahnasayamy atma-bhava-stho / jnana-dipena bhasvata(Only out of compassion for these devotees, I dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge, the darkness born of ignorance.)Sloka 12-13arjuna uvaca :

param brahma param dhama / pavitram paramam bhavanpurusam sasvatam divyam / adi-devam ajam vibhumahus tvam rsayah sarve / devarsis naradas tathaasito devalo vyasah / svayam caiva bravisi me(Arjuna said : I know that You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the supreme abode, the purest, the Absolute Truth. You are the eternal being, original person, the unborn and the greatest. All the great sages such as Narada, Asita, Devala and Vyasa confirm this truth about You, and now You Yourself are declaring it to me.)Sloka 14sarvam etad rtam manye / yan mam vadasi kesavana hi te bhagavan vyaktim / vidur deva na danavah(O Kesava, I believe all that You have told me to be true. Neither the devatas nor the danavas [demons] can fully understand Your personality .)Sloka 15svayam evatmanatmanam / vettha tvam purusottamabhuta-bhavana bhutesa / deva-deva jagat-pate( Indeed, You alone know Yourself by Your own internal potency, O Purushottama, Creator of all, Ruler of all beings, God of all gods, Master of the universe!)Sloka 16vaktum arhasy asesena / divya hy atma-vibhutayahyabhir vibhutibhir lokan / imams tvam vyapya tisthasi(Therefore, You alone can describe in full Your divine glories, whereby You stand pervading all these worlds.)

Sloka 17katham vidyam aham yogims / tvam sada paricintayankesu kesu ca bhavesu / cintyo 'si bhagavan maya(O Krishna, O supreme mystic ! O Supreme Personality of Godhead!, how shall I constantly think of You, and how shall I know You? In what various forms are You to be remembered?)

Sloka 18vistarenatmano yogam / vibhutinca janardanabhuyan kathaya trptir hi / srnvato nasti me 'mrtam(O Janardana, again please describe in detail Your yogic power and Your opulences. I am never satiated in hearing about You and I want to hear more to taste the nectar of Your words.)Sloka 19sri-bhagavan uvaca :

hanta te kathayisyami / divya hy atma-vibhutayahpradhanyatah kuru-srestha / nasty anto vistarasya me(Bhagavan said: O Arjuna, Yes, I will tell you about My divine manifestations, but only about the prominent ones, because there is no limit to My opulence.)

Sloka 20aham atma gudakesa / sarva-bhutasaya-sthitahaham adis ca madhyam ca / bhutanam anta eva ca

(I am the Supersoul, seated in the hearts of all living entities. I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings, O Arjuna.)Sloka 21adityanam aham visnur / jyotisam ravir amsumanmaricir marutam asmi / naksatranam aham sasi(Among the (12) Adityas I am Vishnu and among the luminaries I am the radiant sun. Among the Maruts (49 wind- lords ) I am Marici and among stars I am the moon.)Sloka 22vedanam sama-vedo 'smi / devanam asmi

vasavahindriyanam manas casmi / bhutanam asmi cetana(Of the Vedas I am the Sama Veda; of the devatas I am Indra ; of the senses I am the mind; and in living beings I am the living force [consciousness].

Sloka 23

rudranam sankaras casmi vitteso yaksa-raksasamvasunam pavakas casmimeruh sikharinam aham

(Of all the Rudras I am Lord Siva ; among the Yaksas and Raksasas I am the Lord of wealth [Kuvera]; of the (8)Vasus I am fire [Agni]; and among the mountains I am Meru.)

Sloka 24purodhasanca mukhyam mam viddhi partha brhaspatimsenaninam aham skandah sarasam asmi sagarah(O Partha, of priests know Me to be Brhaspati . Of generals I am Subrahmanya , and among the reservoirs of water I am the ocean.)Sloka 25maharsinam bhrgur aham giram asmy ekam aksaramyajnanam japa-yajno 'smi sthavaranam himalayah(Among sages I am Bhrigu ; among sacred syllables I am OM ; among sacrifices I am Japa (chanting of holy names), and among non-moving objects I am the Himalaya)

Sloka 26asvatthah sarva-vrksanam / devarsinanca naradahgandharvanam citrarathan / siddhanam kapilo munih(Of all trees I am banyan tree ; in the sages among devatas I am Narada ; of the Gandharvas I am Citraratha ; and among sidhas (perfected beings) I am sage Kapila.)Sloka 27uccaihsravasam asvanam / viddhi mam amrtodbhavamairavatam gajendranam / narananca naradhipam(Among the horses I am Uccaihshrava (born from the churning of the ocean of nectar) ; among elephants I am Airavata ; among men I am the King .)Sloka 28ayudhanam aham vajram / dhenunam asmi kamadhukprajanas casmi kandarpah / sarpanam asmi vasukih(Of weapons I am Thunderbolt and among cows I am the Kamadhenu. Of the causes for procreation I am Kandarpa (Lord of love), and of serpents I am Vasuki.)

Sloka 29anantas casmi naganam / varuno yadasam ahampitrnam aryama casmi / yamah samyamatam aham(Among Nagas (special serpents) I am Ananta ; among aquatic creatures I am Varuna ; of the ancestors I am Aryama ; and of the dispensers of law I am Yama (Lord of death.)Sloka 30prahladas casmi daityanam / kalah kalayatam ahammrgananca mrgendro 'ham / vainateyas ca paksinam(Among the daityas [the demonic descendants of Diti] I am Prahlada ; of controllers I am Time ; among beasts I am Lion ; and among birds I am Garuda.)Sloka 31pavanah pavatam asmi / ramah sastra-bhrtam ahamjhasanam makaras casmi / srotasam asmi jahnavi(Among purifiers I am Wind and of wielders of weapons I am Rama. Among the fishes I am Shark; among all the rivers, I am Ganga.)Sloka 32sarganam

adir antas ca / madhyancaivaham arjunaadhyatma-vidya vidyanam / vadah pravadatam aham(O Arjuna, I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all creations. Of all sciences I am the spiritual science of the self, and among the disputants I am the conclusive truth.)Sloka 33aksaranam a-karo 'smi / dvandvah samasikasya caaham evaksayah kalo / dhataham visvato-mukhah( Of letters I am the letter A, and among compound words I am the dual compound. I am also inexhaustible time,; I am the sustainer of all, having My face on all sides. )Sloka 34mrtyuh sarva-haras caham / udbhavas ca bhavisyatamkirttih srir vak ca narinam / smrtir medha dhrtih ksama

( I am the all destroying Death that snatches all, the origin of all that shall be born. Among women I am Kirti, Shree, Vak, Smriti, Medha, Dhriti, and khshama ( the goddesses presiding over fame, fortune, fine speech, memory, intelligence, steadfastness, and patience respectively)Sloka 35bhrat-sama tatha samnam / gayatri chandasam ahammasanam marga-sirso 'ham / rtunam kusumakarah(Likewise among the sruties I am Brahatsama ; among the Vedic hymns I am Gayatri ; among the twelve months I am Margasirsa ( November -Decemebr ) ; among (6) seasons I am the flower bearing Spring. )Sloka

36dyutam chalayatam asmi / tejas tejasvinam ahamjayo 'smi vyavasayo 'smi / sattvam sattvavatam aham(I am gambling of the cheats; splendor of the splendid ; victory of the victorious ; resolution of the resolute ; and goodness of the good.)

Sloka 37vrsninam vasudeva 'smi / pandavanam dhananjayahmuninam apy aham vyasah / kavinam usana kavih(Of the Vrishnis I am Vasudeva ; of the Pandavas I am Arjuna ; of the sages I am Vyasa ; and among poets I am Sukracharya.)Sloka 38dando damayatam asmi / nitir asmi jigisatammaunam caivasmi guhyanam / jnanam jnanavatam aham(Among all means of suppressing lawlessness I am punishment, and of those who seek victory I am morality. Of secret things I am silence, and of the wise I am the wisdom.)Sloka 39yac capi sarva-bhutanam / bijam tad aham

arjunana tad asti vina yat syan / maya bhutam caracaram(O Arjuna, I am the original cause, the generating seed of all existence. No entity, either moving or non-moving , can exist without Me.)Sloka 40nanto 'sti mama divyanam / vibhutinam parantapaesa tuddesatah prokto / vibhuter vistaro maya(O Parantapa, there is no limit to My divine manifestations. What I have spoken to you is only a brief description of My infinite opulences .)

Sloka 41yad yad vibhutimat sattvam / srimad urjitam eva vatat tad evavagaccha tvam / mama tejo 'msa-sambhavam(Know for certain that everything in existence which is glorious, brilliant and powerful ,is a spark of My splendor.)Sloka 42atha va bahunaitena / kim jnatena tavarjunavistabhyaham idam krtsnam / ekamsena sthito jagat(Of what use to you, Arjuna, is all this detailed knowledge? Just know that , I stand holding this entire universe by a single fragment of Myself. )

Thus ends Srimad Bhagavad-Gita – Chapter Ten – Vibhuti Yoga, which gives pleasure to the bhaktas and is accepted by all saintly persons .

Ohm Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya!!!

SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev

(To Continue in next part ..)

NB - : The chapters 1 to 10 are saved in the Folder, ‘Gita’ in ’s FILES. The chapter-wise summary of remaining (8) chapters of Bhagavad Gita , will be posted in (8) parts, in the coming days.

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos