IndiaDivine.org

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami Prabhupada's Disappearance Day (Lecture]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Members,And Devotees,Please accept my most Humble obiesances!

this was sent to me from Nitaipada Swami,in His Fallen Devotee club,and I thought ir was so nice To hear Srila Prabhupada Talk about His Gurudeava,Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami on His Dissapearance day.I hope Everyone Likes this as much as i did,Jaya Kesava dasa

--- Jaya Murari dasa <jayamurari wrote:> "Jaya Murari dasa" <jayamurari> Tomorrow is Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati> Gosvami Prabhupada's Disappearance Day (Lecture> included)> Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:16:28 -0500> > > His Divine Grace Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati> Gosvami Prabhupada's Disappearance Day Lecture given> by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami> Prabhupada > > At Los Angeles, on December 9, 1969 > > So today is the disappearance day of my Guru> Maharaja. As I told you that sadhavo jiva va mara> va. There was a nice story the other day I told you> that a sage is giving different kinds of blessings> to different types of persons. So to a king's son, a> prince, he blessed, raja-putra ciram jiva: "You are> a king's son, a prince. You live forever." And> muni-putra, the son of a saintly person, he blessed> him, ma jiva ma jiva: "You don't live." Raja-putra> ciram muni-putra ma jiva. And sadhu, devotees, he> blessed him, jiva va mara va: "Either you live or> you die, as you like." And there was a butcher, he> blessed him, ma jiva ma mara: "You don't die, don't> live." So these words are very significant. That I> have already explained, still I am explaining. A> prince, he's enjoying sense, that's all. He has got> enough facility for sense enjoyment. So his next> life is hellish. Because if you indulge in sex life,> then Krsna will give you facility to have sex life> three times in an hour, just like the pigeons, the> monkeys, the sparrows, they are very sexually> strong. You have seen it. So the facility is given.> So princely order, they are after sense enjoyment.> So he's blessed that "Better you live forever,> because after your death, you do not know what is> going to happen to you. You are going to get a> hellish life. Better you live for some time. Go on> with your enjoyment." And muni-putra ma jiva.> Brahmacari, working under the guidance, under strict> disciplinary guidance, of a spiritual master, he is> blessed, ma jiva, "You better die. Because you are> so trained to enter into the kingdom of God, so why> should you take so much trouble? Better you die and> go back to Godhead." Ma jiva. And a devotee he> blessed, jiva va maro va: "My dear devotee, either> you live or die, the same thing." And the butcher,> he blessed him, ma jiva ma mara: "You don't live,> don't die." What he's to do? His living condition is> so abominable. From the morning, he has to slaughter> so many animals, see the bloodstain, the ghastly> scene. That is his livelihood. So what a horrible> life this is. So "Don't live. And don't die also."> Because after death, oh, he is going to be in so> much hellish condition, nobody can describe. So both> lives, living condition and death, after death, his> condition is very horrible. > > Anyway, apart from others, the devotee, for him,> appearance and disappearance the same thing. Just> like when my spiritual master appeared at Jagannatha> Puri... He was the son of a very big government> officer, Bhaktivinoda Thakura. He was magistrate,> government officer. In those days a magistrate is a> big officer in the government, practically next to> governor. And Bhaktivinoda Thakura was in charge of> the Jagannatha temple. That is the system in> Jagannatha Puri. The manager in charge of the temple> is the district magistrate. So there was a> Ratha-yatra festival, and the car was passing in> front of Bhaktivinoda Thakura's house. Bhaktivinoda> Thakura's name was Kedaranath Datta. When he was> magistrate, he was known as K.N. Datta. Kedaranath> Datta. So the car stopped before his house, and at> that time, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura,> a child in the lap of his mother. The mother took> the opportunity of rising on the car. He (She) was> magistrate's wife, so he (she) had the facility.> Immediately, people gave her way to go on the top of> the car and place the child on the lotus feet of> Jagannatha. And there were many garlands. One> garland fell upon him, Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati,> blessings. This was one of the... There were so many> other things. > > When he was a child two, three years old, he ate one> mango fruit which was kept for offering to the> Deity. So his father mildly rebuked him, "Oh, you> have done a very wrong thing. It was meant for> Deity, and you have taken it. You should not have> done it." The child was two or three years old. He> took it so seriously that never after that he took> mango. Whenever we offered him mango he said, "No, I> am offender. I cannot take mango." He was thinking> like that, you see. Never in his life he took a> mango. He was thinking that "I offended in my> childhood by taking the mango of the Deity." This is> the characteristic of acarya. They teach by their> life's action that one should be so much determined,> that one should not be... A child took the mango,> there was no offense. But he took that vow. > > Another instance, in my presence. At that time, we> were also young men, and one of my Godbrothers, his> name is Dr. Oul Bihari Kapoor... He's now retired in> Vrndavana, last time I saw him. He was also young> man, and his wife was also young. So we were sitting> together, talking with Guru Maharaja, and the girl> proposed, "My dear master, I want to speak with> you." So Guru Maharaja said, "Yes, you can talk> whatever you like." So she said, "I want to talk> with you secretly, not in the presence of everyone."> Guru Maharaja said, "No. I cannot talk with you> secretly. You can talk in the presence of my all> other disciples." So even that girl was just like> his granddaughter by age calculation, he refused to> talk with a young woman in a secret place. These are> the instances. > > So in his life he was akhanda brahmacari.> Bhaktivinoda Thakura had many other sons, and he was> the fifth son. And some of his other brother also,> they did not marry. And my Guru Maharaja, he also> did not marry. From the childhood he is strict> brahmacari, Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami> Maharaja. And he underwent very severe penances for> starting this movement, worldwide movement. That was> his mission. Bhaktivinoda Thakura wanted do this.> He, 1896, Bhaktivinoda Thakura wanted to introduce> this Krsna consciousness movement by sending this> book, Shree Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, His Life and> Precepts. Fortunately, that year was my birth year,> and by Krsna's arrangement, we came in contact. I> was born in a different family, my Guru Maharaja was> born in a different family. Who knew that I will> come to his protection? Who knew that I would come> in America? Who knew that you American boys will> come to me? These are all Krsna's arrangement. We> cannot understand how things are taking place. In> 1936... Today is ninth December, 1938(68). That> means thirty-two years ago. In Bombay, I was then> doing some business. All of a sudden, perhaps on> this date, sometimes between 9 or 10 December. At> that time, Guru Maharaja was indisposed little, and> he was staying at Jagannatha Puri, on the seashore.> So I wrote him letter, "My dear master, your other> disciples, brahmacari, sannyasi, they are rendering> you direct service. And I am a householder. I cannot> live with you, I cannot serve you nicely. So I do> not know. How can I serve you?" Simply an idea, I> was thinking of serving him, "How can I serve him> seriously?" So the reply was dated 13th December,> 1936. In that letter he wrote, "My dear such and> such, I am very glad to receive your letter. I think> you should try to push our movement in English."> That was his writing. "And that will do good to you> and to the people who will help you." That was his> instruction. And then in 1936, on the 31st> December--that means just after writing this letter> a fortnight before his departure--he passed away.> But I took that order of my spiritual master very> seriously, but I did not think that I'll have to do> such and such thing. I was at that time a> householder. But this is the arrangement of Krsna.> If we strictly try to serve the spiritual master,> his order, then Krsna will give us all facilities.> That is the secret. Although there was no> possibility, I never thought, but I took it little> seriously by studying a commentary by Visvanatha> Cakravarti Thakura on the Bhagavad-gita. In the> Bhagavad-gita the verse vyavasayatmika-buddhir ekeha> kuru-nandana, in connection with that verse,> Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura gives his commentary> that we should take up the words from the spiritual> master as our life and soul. We should try to carry> out the instruction, the specific instruction of the> spiritual master, very rigidly, without caring for> our personal benefit or loss. > > So I tried a little bit in that spirit. So he has> given me all facilities to serve him. Things have> come to this stage, that in this old age I have come> to your country, and you are also taking this> movement seriously, trying to understand it. We have> got some books now. So there is little foothold of> this movement. So on this occasion of my spiritual> master's departure, as I am trying to execute his> will, similarly, I shall also request you to execute> the same order through my will. I am an old man, I> can also pass away at any moment. That is nature's> law. Nobody can check it. So that is not very> astonishing, but my appeal to you on this auspicious> day of the departure of my Guru Maharaja, that at> least to some extent you have understood the essence> of Krsna consciousness movement. You should try to> push it on. People are suffering for want of this> consciousness. As we daily pray about devotees, > > vancha-kalpatarubhyas ca> > krpa-sindhubhya eva ca> > patitanam pavanebhyo> > vaisnavebhyo namo namah> > A Vaisnava, or devotee of Lord, his life is> dedicated for the benefit of the people. You> know--most of you belong to Christian community--how> Lord Jesus Christ, he said that for your sinful> activities he has sacrificed himself. That is the> determination of devotee of the Lord. They don't> care for personal comforts. Because they love Krsna> or God, therefore they love all living entities> because all living entities are in relationship with> Krsna. So similarly you should learn. This Krsna> consciousness movement means to become Vaisnava and> feel for the suffering humanity. So to feel for the> suffering humanity, there are different angles of> vision. Somebody is thinking of the suffering of the> humanity from bodily conception of life. Somebody is> trying to open hospital to give relief to the> diseased condition. Somebody is trying to distribute> foodstuff in poverty-stricken countries or places.> These things are certainly very nice, but actual> suffering of the humanity is due to lack of Krsna> consciousness. These bodily sufferings, they are> temporary; neither they can be checked by the laws> of nature. Suppose if you give some distribution of> foodstuff in some poverty-stricken country, that> does not mean that this help makes solution of the> whole problem. The real beneficial work is to invoke> every person to Krsna consciousness. As soon as he> comes to Krsna consciousness... The same example, as> I have given several times, that a rich man's son is> loitering in the street, forgetting his father's> opulence and property. And somebody, out of> sympathy, giving him some food. But other person> comes to him and says, "Oh, my dear boy, I know you.> You are the son of such and such rich man. Why you> are loitering in the street? Come on, I shall take> you to your father." So if that gentleman takes that> loitering boy to his father, the father is glad, and> the boy inherits his father's property, and his> whole problem of life becomes solved. This is a> crude example. Similarly, all living entities, they> are loitering within this universe in different> bodies, in different planets, and from time> immemorial, without knowing that he belongs to the> kingdom of God, he is the direct son of Krsna and> God, that Krsna is the proprietor of everything, and> he can enjoy his father's property, and these> problems of material conditioned life automatically> solved. Just like if you become a rich man, if you> can possess millions of dollars, then your poverty> is automatically solved. Similarly, if you become> Krsna conscious and if you act in that way, then all> other problems in the material conditional> life--solved. > > So this is such a nice movement. Aham tvam> sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami ma sucah. The> Bhagavad-gita says, the Lord says, people's> sufferings are due to his sinful activities.> Ignorance. Ignorance is the cause of sinful> activity. Just like a man does not know. Suppose a> foreigner like me comes in America and he does not> know... Because in India... Just like in your> country, the car is driven from the right side; in> India, I've seen in London also, the car is driven> from the left side. So suppose he does not know, he> drives the car on the left side and incurs some> accident, and he is taken by the police custody. And> if he says, "Sir, I did not know that here the car> is driven from the right side," that does not make> him excused. The law will punish him. So ignorance> is the cause of breaking the law or sinful> activities. And as soon as you commit some sinful> activity, you have to suffer the result. So the> whole world is in ignorance, and due to ignorance> he's complicated in so many actions and reactions,> either good or bad. There is nothing good within> this material world; everything is bad. So we have> manufactured something good and something bad.> Here... Because in the Bhagavad-gita we understand> this place is duhkhalayam asasvatam. This place is> for misery. So how you can say, in miserable> condition, how you can say that "This is good" or> "This is bad." Everything is bad. So those persons> who do not know--the material, conditional> life--they manufacture something, "This is good,> this is bad," because they do not know everything> here is bad, nothing good. One should be very much> pessimistic of this material world. Then he can make> advance in spiritual life. Duhkhalayam asasvatam.> This place is full of miseries, and if you study> analytically, you'll find simply miserable> condition. Therefore the whole problem is that we> should give up our material conditional life, and in> Krsna consciousness we should try to elevate ourself> to the spiritual platform and thereby be promoted to> the kingdom of Godhead, yad gatva na nivartante tad> dhamam paramam mama, where going, nobody comes back> to this miserable world. And that is the supreme> abode of the Lord. > > So there are description in the Bhagavad-gita. So> this Krsna consciousness movement is authorized,> very important. Now, you American boys and girls who> have taken to this movement, please take it more> seriously and... That is the mission of Lord> Caitanya and my Guru Maharaja, and we are also> trying to execute the will by disciplic succession.> You have come forward to help me. I shall request> you all that I shall go away, but you shall live.> Don't give up pushing on this movement, and you'll> be blessed by Lord Caitanya and His Divine Grace> Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Goswami Prabhupada. > > Thank you very much. Any question? (pause) Any> question? Devotee: When your spiritual master was a> little boy, did, was he, um, did he do things like> Lord Caitanya did like when He went to the, um, like> when Lord Caitanya went to the water and all girls> were asking for... Prabhupada: No, he was not so> much naughty. (laughs) My Guru Maharaja was very> gentle boy. Yes. Caitanya Mahaprabhu was very> naughty boy. Yes. (laughs) And Krsna was also very> naughty boy. (pause) Chant Hare Krsna.> (kirtana--Visnujana leads, Srila Prabhupada chants> along) I have brought prasadam for you. Take. (long> pause as prasadam is served out and devotees chant> japa) Can stop it? (end) Thanks For Reading,Your servant Jaya Kesava dasa