IndiaDivine.org

What are ' Namaskara ' & 'Namaste' ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

(This is based on a discourse on ‘ Namaskara Upasana’ by the Sage of Kanchi Mutt, Paramacharya Chandrasekharendra Sarasvati Swami . ) The true "owner" of the ‘namaskara’ is Lord Narayana, as He says "sarva deva namaskarah kesavam pratigaccati" - all ‘namaskaras’ reach Kesava (Narayana). I regret that as a ‘Peetadhipati’ I am not able to perform my own ‘ namaskara’ to others. Of course, there is no bar in doing ‘ namaskara’ to Deities and Purvacharyas . But even here, according to the ‘sastras’ governing us (Peetadhipatis ), we are not permitted to lower our body to the ground and to perform ‘namaskara’ , barring one or two exceptions . We (Peetadhipatis like me) are to do ‘ namaskara’ with our "Danda" (staff), swiveling it and touching the ground with it in a particular way, and it is called "Danda Vandanam". The ‘ namaskara’ that you do is also called "Dandakara namaskaram". The meaning is different . Danda there also means staff. But, there it metaphorically refers to the body. If the staff is held straight, it stands erect . We also refer to people who are not humble by saying "erect or unbending like a staff ". The same staff falls flat to the ground if the grip is taken off. The mind of the Jiva generally " stands erect " like the staff. It is because of the hold of ego (Ahambhaava) . If it is released from the hold of ego, it becomes humble . In such humble state, it experiences the highest bliss . Lowering the body in performing ‘ namaskara’ symbolises the release of the ego-hold on the mind . That is why it is called "Danda Namaskara". If the namaskara is done without understanding this central idea, that namaskara is itself "Dandam" i.e., in vain (Dandam in Tamil idiomatically means useless)”. The staff that is prescribed for us (Peetadhipatis like me) and which we carry is itself meant for the control of the mind . It is a controlling, subjugating weapon . The names Dandapani, Dandayudhapani are familiar to you . The word " Dandanai " (in Tamil) for punishment came from Dandam . Since the important duty of the State is to prevent people from taking to disorderly ways and to check enemies (of the State and people) from rearing their head, statecraft is itself called Danda-niti . In that way, the Danda is prescribed for us as a symbol for keeping our minds under strict control . It is not merely a symbol . When it is charged with mantra by our Guru and bestowed on us, the Danda gets the power to be a help in the control of mind . The inventions of science have some spectacular powers in the outer world . In the same way, the mantras have miraculous powers in the inner worlds . Can you not touch an electric wire with a stick without receiving a shock?. Are not radio waves "caught" by the aerial ?. Does not a lightning protector rod catch electricity and save from thunder ?. This is also like that . In our case, the Dandam is a symbol for the mind and its shield ; the mind having been entrusted to the Danda. This way of doing ‘ namaskara’ can still not compare with the other way of doing it by lowering the body and lying prostrate on the ground . The psychological feeling of humility one experiences in lowering the body to the ground and the delight of

just remaining like that cannot be matched .” There is another point . That is what I wanted to mainly place before you . More than the ‘ namaskara’ performed to the Deity, more than the ‘namaskara’ performed to the Saints and Sages of ancient past, it is only when ‘ namaskara’ is performed by prostrating before a living Saint, a Saint who is moving about right before our eyes,

that the "vinaya bhaava" (feeling of deep humility) is even more intensely experienced . From young age I am deprived of this good fortune of doing ‘ namaskaras’ to the great ones . The position (sthanam) robbed me of this blessing . My receiving all your ‘ namaskaras’ without my performing ‘ namaskara’ to any person makes me think of my ‘janma’ as empty and in vain……… We(Sages like me) have to make sure that we convey your ‘ namaskaras’ to the Paramatma and do not accept the ‘ namaskara’ ourselves in the thought that it belongs to us. A true Sannyasi has no duties . He has no obligation to fulfil . He does not have to think about the wellbeing or otherwise of another. In that state if someone performs ‘ namaskara’ to him he does not have to think about the welfare of that person . If he starts thinking about that, slowly and slowly he will start thinking whether some good happened to that person?. If his mind gets concerned with the welfare of number of persons in this fashion what happens to his ‘Ashrama Dharma’ ?. Which demands that ‘Atma Vichara ’ be his only work . His supreme and only Dharma is to be ever immersed in ‘Atma Vichara’. If he does not do so he is not a Sannyasi . So when a ‘ namaskara’ is preformed to a true Sannayasi, he simply transfers the person’s good or bad to Lord Narayana almost as if saying that it is all Your (Narayana’s) concern and sever further contact with that . If we (Peetadhipatis like me) slip up and falsely think that we have ‘ authority ‘to give ‘asirvadam’ (blessing) we will be committing the Maha-dosha of misappropriating what belongs to Lord Narayana . Though outwardly the ‘ Peetham ’ and ‘position ‘ are there, in

reality we (Peetadhipatis like me) are the Coolies (Labourers) carrying the loads . The Coolie carries the load (luggage) of another. Similarly we (Peetadhipatis like me) are to merely carry the load of your ‘ namaskara’ in our mind and add the weight of our prayer on your behalf and reach the whole to Lord Narayana. It is doubtful whether the truth which is clear to the collie is equally clear to us. You all are in a blessed state . Blessed in which sense ?. When any one lowers his body and prostrates before another person , he also ‘pushes’ a load off his mind in the belief that other person will take care of that load . ‘Namaha’ is sometimes itself interpreted as “Na Mama” (not mine) . The ‘bhagya’ (fortune) of experiencing such a feeling of becoming light through ‘namaskara’ was taken away from me at a very early age. When the dignity of a position is weighing me down how to become light? . There is a general rule that a junior Sannyasi should do ‘ namaskara’ to a Sannyasi who is his senior. The senior and junior are not determined by age of the person . It is reckoned on the number of ‘vyasa puj’a’ performed. Some times a 30 year old Sannyasi with more ‘ vyasa puja ’ will be the senior and a 60 year old Sannyasi will do ‘ namaskara’ to him . End of Discourse. --------------------- Note - : I bow down to the revered Paramacharya’s greatness and humility that He Himself wants to perform

‘namaskaras’ to others. Now let me say something about “Namaste” . For us the greeting of choice is "Namaste," the two hands pressed together and held near the heart with the head gently bowed as one says, "Namaskaram." Thus it is both a spoken

greeting and a gesture, a Mantr(a) and a Mudr(a). In Sanskrit "Namas" means, " bow, obeisance, reverential salutation ." It comes from the root Nam, which carries meanings of bending, bowing, humbly submitting and becoming silent . " Te" means " to you ." Thus "Namaste" means " I bow to you." the act of greeting is called "Namaskaram," "Namaskara" and "Namaskar " in the various languages . “Namaste” has

become a veritable icon of what is Bharatiya. “Namaste” is cosmically different . Kings do “Namaste”, Sat Guru(s) do “Namaste” and mothers do “Namaste” to their own family . We all do “Namaste” before Lord Narayana, a saintly person or even a holy place. The “Namaste” gesture bespeaks our inner valuing of the sacredness of all . It reminds us in quite a graphic manner, and with insistent repetition, that we can see Paramatma everywhere and in every human being we meet . It is saying, silently, " I see Lord Narayana in us both, and bow before Him . I acknowledge the holiness

of even this mundane meeting . I cannot separate that which is spiritual in us from that which is human and ordinary." Here are some quotes on the understanding of “Namaste”, by some Vedic followers : · “Namaste” elevates one's consciousness, reminding one that all beings, all existence is holy, is Sri Narayana. It communicates, " I honour or worship the Divinity within you." Also it draws the individual inward for a moment, inspires reflection on the deeper realities, softening the interface between people. It would be difficult or offend or feel

animosity toward any one you greet as Paramatma . · “Namaste” is a gesture of friendship and kindness, also of thanks or special recognition. Mystically it is

called "Namaskara Mudra" in the Agami© Puja, and it centers one's energy within the spine. · “Namaste” means "I

salute the Paramatma within you." The true “Namaste” gesture is accompanied by bowing the head and shoulders slightly. This is a gesture that lessens our sense of ego and self-centredness, requiring some humility to do it well . · “Namaste” puts you forward as a soul, not an outer personality. · The “Namaste” form of acknowledgment

is so lovely, so graceful. Just look at two people in “Namaste” and you will see so much human beauty and refinement . So please accept my ‘ Namaskara ’ . Now the onus is on you to do ‘ Namaskara ’ to others !

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!!! SriKrishnaDasa.Rajeev

Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.