IndiaDivine.org

Guruvayoor Temple

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hare Krishna, Regarding Guruvayoor temple, I wish to explain further as follows . Relevance of Sri Guruvayoorappan (Deity of Guruvayoor) Sri Ganapathy Raman’s Quote “ Again you say that Bhagawan will take care of running the temples. In

what way. ?Is He the chairman of the administrative board ?or is He giving directions?. By chanting Narayana with full faith will all the ills of the people automatically vanish?. Then why should one go to the temple and make offerings instead of keeping quiet at home and chanting Narayana all the time. “ Unquote

Guruvayoorappan (Sri Krishna) is a highly interactive Deity ; and He is in overall control of the temple . ( For instance, when Tippu sultan’s army set fire to the Temple, it was saved due to timely rain ; and when fire broke out in 1970, the Central shrine was only 3 yards off, but still the fierce fire did not touch even the dry flower garlands, which hung on the corner of the sanctum sanctorium . Occasionally people having bad karma might cause a few problems for some time ; but the end of storey

is not in their favour. Reliable sources , closely associated with the temple, have confirmed Bhagavan’s revelations through Devaprasna, chosen devotees, Tantris, Pujaris ,etc ; and the crushing of culprits by strange coincidences . The bhakti-yoga of ordinary devotees are based on Krishna’s nama-sankirtana and temple- worship . And their Atmic progress comes from the efficacy of chanting Narayana-nama . Consequently , they get rightly situated in ‘saranagati’ ; and lead a life as Bhagavan’s instruments , being guided by Him through apparent and indirect symptoms. Great Services Being Provided by Temples like Guruvayoor The offerings of devotees enable Guruavayoor

temple to operate to the vedic rules and to undertake numerous schemes for vedic ,charity, educational and cultural activities. A few of the several activities undertaken by Guruvayoor temple are given below : · Annadana every day for around 1500 persons. On special days like Ashtami Rohini, Onam, Utsavam etc, around 10000-15000 devotees take food here. · Every year Guruvayoor temple spends a significant portion of it’s surplus income for assisting the financially backward temples in Kerala. · Every day food is sent to about 200 persons of the Municipal orphanage and 100 children of the Kasthurbha child orphanage in the Guruvayur Munucipality . · Krishnanattam kalari ( training institute). · Vedic publications . · Cultural programs . · Educational institutions. ·

Medical facilities . We all know how difficult and expensive it is to conduct a vedic puja or a feast . As such just imagine the complexities involved in operating a huge Vedic institution like Guruvayoor temple, the abode of Sri Krishna

.. In 1766 AD , tyrant Hyder Ali of Mysore captured the kingdom of Calicut ; and due to insecurity pilgrims receded in Guruvayoor. The supply of rice was stopped and the tenants stopped annual dues. It was only due to Krishna’s grace in the form of intervention by Malabar Governor that the temple was saved from extinction. This explains the relevance of offerings by devotees. Muslims and Christians do have well organized Madrasas and Sunday schools respectively to provide religious education to their children . All what vedic believers have is temples . In a recent press release, it is said that the Travancore Devaswom board has 1200 temples under it’s control out of which only 85 are self sufficient whereas the remaining are surviving form the funds coming from the surplus income at Sabarimala and a few other major temples. If the Hindu temple goers don’t donate , who will finance to keep alive the struggling vedic

temples ????. Charity by Devotees Krishna’s devotee is like a flower . When he

blossoms in kirshna-bhakty , the sweet aroma of sattvic compassion spreads around ; and Bhagavan utilizes him most appropriately . The related benefits flow to the needy ones through Sri Krishna’s grace ; as arranged for by Bhagavan Himself . For instance , the rice collection proposed by Paramacharya is still happening in another form as form as sponsored annadana in Krishna temples . Opportunities to help others comes as a part of the service to Sri Krishna , provided one is honest about his ‘saranagati ‘ ; and a true devotee of Krishna doesn’t fail to spend part of his/her earnings to help the

needy on behalf of Bhagavan . Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya !!! Krishnadaya. --------------------- GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 wrote: Well done Krishnadaya with your quotes from Bhagavatham.I wonder where I hv pinpointed the irrelevance of Sri Guruvayurappan.Perhaps you hv not studied my reply properly and not in a position to assimilate what I hv said.You might hv carried by the thought that I am against Sri Guruvayurappan.In that respect you are way away from the tangent and your Krishna Consciousness aspect might hv made you to think like that.Your quotes from Bhagavatham

are laudable.I know what the late Paramacharya of Kanchi said abt the rice separation by each family but that was in a different context and I don't know that practice is still in existenceor not due to efflex of time and the indifference of the bhakthas.I am sure you may not be aware of this fact.The first para of your reply is sometype of vitriolic comment which is not justifiable.You hv quoted some thing which I hv never said- I mean the irrelevance of Sri Guruvayurappan.Of course there are many origanisations who collect funds and spend in whatever way they like.But just because they do it is it necessary all people shuld follow suit?Strange logic.Where did you find any adverse views of Sri Guruvayurappan? If you go thru my reply carefully you will find that I hv never said anything abt Sri Guruvayurappan but only said the plight of poor temples,downtrodden people, the reluctance of the rich to help the poor.At the same time that those are things which will bring the Grace and Mercy of the God,if some interest is shown to those aspects also.Under such circumstances though you hv taken pains to quote from Bhagavatham,a great effort,seem to be of only academic value when other pressing needs are not addressed.I know Annadhanam is performed in GVR,Tripati,Udipi etc.In Dharmasthala it is a great thing thruout the year.The same way many big temples hv such schemes and this is not confined to GVR only..Further I hv never weaned away the devotees from making anything in the form of vazhipadus and offerings when I hv said that all those things depend on

individual choices.Hence your comments carries no weight though you may differ with my views the charge that I hv said something against Sri Guruvayurappan is really preposterous.I wonder how a Krishna bhaktha like you chose to write without studying what other person has said and write something from imagination..Even in the very first para I hv said the offerings,using funds etc are not our concern.Then where the shoe pinches?I hv covered generally of all the big temples and never confined myself to Guruvayur only.I stressed only the Bhakthy concept which has nothing to do with the offerings only. Anyways I don't want to prolong this issue and your devotion to Krishna thru Krishna Consciousness organisation must hv made you to say some thing. As a good friend I wish you well and you need not be depressed by such comments and carry on your duty according to the best of your conscience. God Bless. Hare Krishna, agraman. Hare Krishna, Krishnadaya < wrote: My humble pranams to all Vaishnavas , As a humble servant of Sri Krishna , I am depending totally on

the chanting of Narayana-nama for everything and from it’s strength endeavor to follow Bhagavan ’s advice : · Do your duty, to the best of your abilities, for Me without any selfish motive, and remember Me at all times - before starting a work, at the completion of a task, and while inactive. · Practice to look upon all creatures as Myself in thought, word, and deed ; and mentally bow down to them. · Although I the Supreme God, can never be captured by ordinary sense perception, My devotees may use their intelligence and perception (by bhakti-yoga) to directly search for Me through both apparent and indirect symptoms. · Awaken your dormant spiritual power (by bhakti-yoga)and perceive through the activities of mind, senses, breathing, and emotions that

My power is within you at all times, and is constantly doing all the work using you as a mere instrument". Present Realities In this age of cut throat competition and selfishness , modern India ( ex- Bharatakhanda) as a nation has practically replaced it’s sacred atmic approach with, hypocritical secularism (Godlessness) . Social work and charity have become big business these days ; and many of the related organizations fight each other to grab own scope in the event of a natural calamity . In certain cases , even spirituality is marketed cleverly to realize personal interests ; and the same people advise their followers not to donate to other institutions . There is no accountability for the huge funds being collected by many of the social organizations and many of such funds are being used to destabilize this ancient country which is still a thorn in the flesh of anti-vedic forces . The temples remain as a ray of hope for the struggling vedic faith and associated social well being . Deity Worship in Temples Bhagavan Krishna advises Uddhava ( Srimad Bhagavatam Chapter no.11 ) on temple worship : SB 11.27.15 : One should worship Me in My Deity forms by offering the most excellent paraphernalia . But a devotee completely freed from material desire may worship Me with whatever he is able to obtain, and may even worship Me within his heart with mental paraphernalia. SB 11.27.16-17 : In worshiping the temple Deity, my dear Uddhava, bathing and decoration are the most pleasing offerings . For the Deity traced on sacred ground, the process of tattva-vinyaasa most dear. Oblations of sesame and barley soaked in ghee are the preferred offering to the sacrificial fire, whereas worship consisting

of upasthâna and arghya is preferred for the sun. One should worship Me in the form of water by offering water itself. Actually, whatever is offered to Me with faith by My devotee — even if only a little water — is most dear to Me. SB 11.27.18 : Even very opulent presentations do not satisfy Me if they

are offered by nondevotees . But I am pleased by any insignificant offering made by My loving devotees, and I am certainly most pleased when nice presentations of fragrant oil, incense, flowers and palatable foods are offered with love. SB 11.27.32 : My devotee should then lovingly decorate Me with clothing, a brahmana thread, various ornaments, marks of tilaka and garlands, and he should anoint My body with fragrant oils, all in the prescribed manner. SB 11.27.33 : The worshiper should faithfully present Me with water for washing My feet and mouth, fragrant oils, flowers and unbroken grains, along with incense, lamps and other offerings. SB 11.27.34 : Within his means, the devotee should arrange to offer Me sugar candy, sweet rice, ghee, rice-flour cakes, various sweet cakes, steamed rice-flour dumplings filled with sweet coconut and sugar , wheat cakes made with ghee and milk and covered with sugar and spices], yogurt, vegetable soups and other palatable foods. SB 11.27.35 : On special occasions, and daily if possible, the Deity should be massaged with ointment, shown a mirror, offered a eucalyptus stick for brushing His teeth, bathed with the five kinds of nectar, offered all kinds of opulent foods, and

entertained with singing and dancing. SB 11.27.44 : Singing along with others, chanting loudly and dancing, acting out My transcendental pastimes, and hearing and telling stories about Me, the devotee should for some time absorb himself in such festivity. SB 11.27.45 : The devotee should offer homage to the Lord with all kinds of hymns and prayers, both from the Puranas and from other ancient scriptures, and also from ordinary traditions. Praying, "O Lord, please be merciful to me! "he should fall down flat like a rod to offer his obeisances. SB 11.27.46 : Placing his head at the feet of the Deity, he should then stand with folded hands before the Lord and pray, "O my Lord, please protect me, who am surrendered unto You. I am most fearful of this ocean of

material existence, standing as I am in the mouth of death." SB 11.27.47 : Praying in this way, the devotee should respectfully place upon his head the remnants I offer to him. And if the particular Deity is meant to be sent away at the end of the worship, then this should be performed, the devotee once again placing the light of the Deity's presence inside the light of the lotus within his own heart. SB 11.27.48 : Whenever one develops faith in Me — in My form as the Deity or in other bona fide manifestations — one should worship Me in that form. I certainly exist both within all created beings and also separately in My original form, since I am the Supreme Soul of all. SB 11.27.49 : By worshiping

Me through the various methods prescribed in the Vedas and tantras, one will gain from Me his desired perfection in both this life and the next . SB 11.27.50 : The devotee should more fully establish My Deity by solidly constructing a temple, along with beautiful gardens. These gardens should be set aside to provide flowers for the regular daily worship, special Deity processions and holiday observances. SB 11.27.51: One who offers the Deity gifts of land, markets, cities and villages so that the regular daily worship and special festivals of the Deity may go on continually will achieve opulence equal to My own. SB 11.27.52 : By installing the Deity of the Lord one becomes king of the entire earth, by building

a temple for the Lord one becomes ruler of the three worlds, by worshiping and serving the Deity one goes to the planet of Lord Brahma and by performing all three of these activities one achieves a transcendental form like My own. SB 11.27.53: But one who simply engages in devotional service with no consideration of fruitive results attains Me . Thus whoever worships Me according to the process I have described will ultimately attain pure devotional service

unto Me . SB 11.27.54 : Anyone who steals the property of the Devas or the brahmanas, whether originally given to them by himself or someone else, must live as a worm in stool for one hundred million years. SB 11.27.55 : Not only the performer of the theft but also anyone who assists him, instigates the crime, or simply approves of it must also share the reaction in the next life. According to their degree of participation, they each must suffer a proportionate consequence. Madhava Seva in Temples also becomes Manavaseva Paramacharya Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati Swamy said : “ Every morning a handful of rice(uncooked) must be set apart for the poor. All the families must do this without fail every day . The rice thus kept must be collected from house to house, from quarter to quarter, cooked offered to the Deity of the local temple as

“naivedya” and then distributed among the poor. With the handful of rice set apart for the poor, keep just one Rupee also. The Rupees collected from each family would be sufficient to buy salt, chilli powder, etc, to mix with the rice to make it more palatable. It would also serve to buy firewood and to pay the rent for the vessels. To carry out such a scheme is to do a great service to the poor - and to the Lord. Charity like this should encourage temple going, not to speak of devotion. Since the food is first offered as “naivedya”, it would mean that the poor will take it as prasadam which will impart them inner purity. “Annadan” or the gift of food is one kind of service of paropakara. We talk of service to the poor, social service and so on. Today all this is done with much fanfare and publicity. In the past the needy were served naturally, without making any noise. Service comes under "purta- dharma" and it includes digging wells and ponds for the public, feeding the poor, building temples for the spiritual well-being of people, laying our gardens. As we keep serving people in this way we will obtain inward purity . “ Jagadguru K.K. Shankaracharya Swami wrote : " We enjoy the good things in life such as house, food, clothing, ornaments, music, dance, etc. We pay a tribute in the form of taxes to the king or to the government, for making it possible for us to enjoy them by giving us their protection. Even as we render homage to the king for the enjoyment of these things, we are bound to render our gratitude to God who has primarily given us the good things of life.We offer a part of these good things as a token of our gratitude to Him in the temple. We first offer to the Lord all that He has given to us in the shape of food, clothing, jewels,

music, flowers, light, incense, etc., with the grateful consciousness that they are His gifts to us ; and we receive them back from Him as His PRASAAD. The temple is the place where these offerings are made on behalf of the collective community. Even if people do not go to the temple, it is enough if these offerings are made to God on behalf of the community. The duty of the people at the place is to see that these offerings are made in the proper manner." Conclusion In addition to bringing the devotees closer to Bhagavan , Sri Krishna’s temples also help thousands of people by feeding them directly or indirectly . It is the duty of all vedic followers to contribute for the smooth running of temples ; and to remove misunderstandings in

the minds of people. Om Namo Narayanaya ! Krishnadaya -------- GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 wrote: Dear Krishnadaya, It is quite some time that you hv not been heard in this Group.Here the question is not that of how the temples are administered or how the offerings of devotees are utilised or what interests the devotees to make such offerings.As said that depends on individual choices and there is no need to interfere.But regarding the amounts collected by way of vazhipadus and how they are utilised nobody knows and that is also not our concern.The point is how such things can be correlated to the Bakthy concept?Do you wish to say that by offerings even though with full heart could be construed as Bhakthy?There are hundreds of people who just dump money in the hundi which has become a custom and not a way of expressing Bhakthy.I hv seen in all the big temples .big bundles of notes are deposited in the hundi and do you think that can be termed as bhakthy?or is it some type

of bargaining?There are hundreds of people who never bother to contribute even token amounts to many deserving cases like the Deaf and Dumb society,Blind society,Charitable institutions who run providing succour to the orphans but they are prepared to put waddles of currencies in the hundis and as offerings as if God is in need of that.Why this change in their minds?Instead of dumping money in the hundis if they spend at least a portion to the needy,distressed people will not that bring them the Grace of God as all are His children and due to karma effects they hv born to suffer and giving them a helping hand,will not that please the God?It is said Manavaseva is Madhavaseva-when that is eloquently drummed up in platforms are all practicing the same?By dumping money for the sake of upliftment of temples which are already very rich what purpose does it serve when the teeming millions suffer in desolation and despair?Do you not think that have nots shuld be protected by those

who hv the money power in the interest of God as all are His creatures? Due to good karmas in the earlier births one may possess lot of wealth but shuld not the person think that the same shuld be distributed at least a portion to the needy? I am not a preacher but I say from practical point of view and not to offend anybody.I know you hv enough knowledge to understand what I mean?You are also doing a great service and that too I know in your own way which is surely laudable.As a

Krishna bhaktha you shuld hv the compassion to the down trodden also.Of course the whole world can't be made into a paradise overnight by doling out to the needy people but those who do even a bit will surely enjoy great peace and the Grace of God as He is not for the rich and vainglorious people but for the poor,unsung people as He has demonstrated in the case of Kuchela.If the devotee is the instrument of Bhagawan Krishna whyshuld He make him to be a slave to the material gains without thinking abt His own brothers and sisters who are also the instruments of Him.So that argument carries no weight.It s because there is an element of ego in the minds of His instruments also which even He finds it difficult to dilute.Again you say that Bhagawan will take care of running the temples.In what way?Is He the chairman of the administrative board?or is He giving directions?In your estimate how many temples come under the purview of GVR and Sabarimala temples?Are all the temples

properly taken care of by the Boards of the GVR and Sabarimala? Another fun is your advice not to worry and be happy.There is no dearth for happiness in me as I always possess equanimity of mind never bothering abt accolades or derisions as I know that is all part of the game.By chanting Narayana with full faith will all the ills of the people automatically vanish?Then why shuld one go to the temple and make offerings instead of keeping quiet at home and chanting Narayana all the time.Since you and I know that the same is not practical as the same won't make the world move as even Krishna has said do your duty without expecting

rewards simply chanting won't lead anybody anywhere unless the same is also accompanied by the duty,love and devotion and compassion to the fellow beings.That is the only way to get the Mercy and Grace OF God and this what all the scriptures also enunciate.Even Vasudeva Krishna also reiterates the same thing. Krishnadaya,don't get upset over what I hv said as it is not my intention to wound your feelings.You hv said what you think to be a method and I just said what I felt.That is all.As I know you are a great Krishna bhaktha and doing good services in your own humble way I hv just taken some liberty to bring to your attention that there

are many things beyond our control as Hamlet used to say in Othello,'Horatio,there are many wonders in this world than what you imagine'. In essence what I mean by Bhakthy has nothing to do with the so called offerings and vazhipadus though the same are left to the choice of the devotees as I myself don't know whether I am a devotee or not and to what extent I hv progressed in this field as it is an ocean and only God is the arbiter in such things.God Bless.. Hare Krishna, Agraman Krishnadaya < wrote: Hare Krishna, A devotee is an instrument of the Bhagavan Sri Krishna ; and it is the Lord's

power that is acting through him/her. It is quite natural that , a devotee is grateful to the Bhagavan for His kindness ; and is always pleased to offer something in return. It is easy to criticise the Temple working systems in place , but difficult to run it . There is no need for the devotee to worry about the running of temple because Bhagavan is there to take care through His own ways and means. The religious institutions of non-Hindu religions don't have any public accountability whereas the Devaswom Boards are accountable to Government. Most of the small temples are run from the income of Guruvayoor and Sabarimala. So let us be positive in our approach . Don't worry, be happy!!!!Just chant Om Namo Narayanaya and leave the rest to

Bhagavan.Krishnadaya--- GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 wrote:Of course for running the temple,paying salary etc money is required but the point is who are the persons chalking out the various vazhipadus and fixing rates?The temple authorities and not God.If the temple authorities say that to run the temple money is required and hence donate your might they won't get much but if they exhibit in boards that such and such vazhipadus can bring this and that benefit people are glad to contribute whether the same materialises or not and so the

authorities are trying to display a long list to collect funds in this way which has nothing to do with Bhakthy or God.This trend has become in vogue during the past decades only.Centuries back there were no such things. Temples like Guruvayur or Sabarimala or Tripati attract devotees in millions and in this way the coffers also can overflow by the so called vazhipadus.A devotee is happy iif he does some thulabharam with sugar or plantain or anything by paying the rates fixed by the administration thinking that God is pleased with his offering, and the administration is happy that their bank balances increase which can be

utilised and misutilised for various things.This is actually what is happening in big temples.On the otherhand there are innumerable temples which don't hv any income even to offer neivedyam to the Deity or having enough oil even to light the lamps.Why the devotees don't flock to those temples also and do the vazhipadus so that those temples too can see the light of the day.Is Guruvayurappan sits only in Guruvayur or Sastha sits only in Sabarimalai when the all pervading God is in every atom and every idol why some temples flourish and some suffer?Does that mean that people who go to those less fortunate temples are not devotees? In Tripati there is a custom that everyday whatever money and other offerings come will be accounted before the Deity in the night but it is not known how the money is

being spent and whether the Deity gives permission for all the expenses?There was even an attempt years back that the amounts collected shuld be invested in Govt bonds thereby diverting the funds of the temple but due to the protest of the devotees the idea was shelved.There is noting wrong in collecting money for the administration of temple by means like vazhipadus but that can't be connected with Bhakthy as there is no sanction from the Deity for the same and it is only the temple administration fixes the same.Years back in GVR udayasthamana pooja was fixed at Rs.5000 but now I don't know the amount but certainly it must be 50000 and what is the guidelines for fixing such exhorbitant rates?The temple administration members enjoy in all comforts from the so called collections and that too everybody knows.Then how this collection can be linked to ardent Bhakthy?Did the Deity

of GVR or Sabarimala told the administration to collect so much money? So in the name of God all these are made.In a country like India with more than a billion people there is always the tendency to resort to superstitions in beliefs and the eagerness to know abt the future thru astrology.If there is something wrong immediately it is decided to conduct an ashtamangalya prasna is conducted.The astrologers say that God is furious because the surroundings are polluted and the devotees are not havig proper devotion,roads are not good and all such things.When the same is said by media and people nobody bothers and when the astrologers say that God is angry immedately steps are taken to ward off evils supposed to happen if the same are not done.Are they not

looking funny?My intention is not to fnd fault with anything that is going on which everybody knows but the pertinent thing is that for a Bhaktha such things appear to be superfluous and when so many temples are suffering for lack of funs why certain important temples alone take the cakes when we accept that God is everywhere.There is no explanation for this anamoly and the same will continue. So by doing vazhipadus and offerings the temple coffers can be filled up but not lead one to Real Bhakthy.Was there such a system during the days of Bhattathiri and Poonthanam?Because those days they had so much love and devotion to God and never bothered abt other things..Now the trend has changed and money takes the upper hand over Real Bhakthy.What a pity? If anybody is offended by these comments I express regret as I hv only stated what I felt and to enforce the fact that Bhakthy has nothing to do with the so called offerings and the same depends on individual choices and not on the choice of people running temple administration.Hare Krishna. Agraman--------------------------------

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.