IndiaDivine.org

Krishna-Bhakti is Grounded on Solid Reality .

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

The thing I like the most about Krishna-bhakti is that it brings us into solid contact with the underlying reality upon which everything rests. We can be in any situation, even in the most materialistic circumstance, and all we have to do is remember Bhagavan Krishna by chanting "Hare Krishna." If we do so, even though we are still living externally within the temporary material existence, we are immediately connected with the sublime transcendental atmosphere where life is eternal, full of bliss, and full of knowledge. Our critics say that we are too other-worldly, that we don't have our feet on the ground in this material world. But that is not a fact. The devotees of Sri Krishna see the inner thread upon which all the pearls of existence are strung. That thread is Bhagavan Krishna. Anyone who connects solidly with Lord Krishna is the most solidly grounded and realistic person. They know what is really going on in this material world. They are not misled by the illusion of material happiness being every day propagated through movies, magazines, newspapers, and Web pages. Such a person always acts for the highest welfare of all living beings for manifesting Krishna-bhakti in all times, places, and circumstances.

QUESTION & ANSWER

Question

Can't the Rude Awakening Be More Polite?...

As I keep reading your literature, one part that hurts me is the harsh language that is being used to describe those who are in ignorance. For example, I was reading these words of Srila Prabhupada, "Foolish rascals, including so-called jnanis, philosophers and scientists, cannot understand the existence of the soul within the body because they are lacking in spiritual knowledge." I have noticed similar type of statements also in many other discourses. I keep telling myself to respect others for what they are and not to be judgmental. Also I believe that every human has a good side to them including a serial killer. I agree that the world needs a rude awakening, but can't we do it in a more polite way? Hare Krishna Sobha

Answer

The Truth Must Be Spoken to Free the World from Untruth...

We agree with you about not being judgmental. Judgment can only be made by God. Not by us. In this regard we request that you kindly do not be judgmental about us. That judgment should be made by the Lord, not by you or I. The Vaisnavas naturally respect and love everyone seeing them all as part and parcel of God. You have described that person who is a serial killer. He may claim his innocence and argue that you are being judgmental to call him a serial killer. There reaches a point where the truth has to be spoken even if it is disturbing to those who propagate untruth. Sometimes Vaisnavas are criticized for using strong language. But they are not the inventors of this sometimes strong language. Bhagavan Krishna Himself uses very strong language in the Bhagavad-gita to describe those who do not surrender unto Him. See Bhagavad-gita, Chapter 7, text 15. Just as a reporter will publicize the strong verdict made by the judge, the devotee makes public the strong verdict made by the Lord. Therefore we cannot criticize the devotee for publicizing the strong words of the Lord anymore than we can criticize the newspaper reporter for publicizing the verdict of the judge. If we feel that the language is unfair then must transfer the blame to the originator of that strong language, the Supreme Lord. The next point is that we may object when God describes those who do not surrender to Him to be rascals. But do we object when the government labels as criminals those who refuse to surrender to its laws, such as the serial killer you mentioned?. It would be hypocritical for us to maintain a double standard here. If we want to disallow the Lord, the right to describe those who do not surrender unto Him as rascals, we must also demand that the government stop describing as criminals those who do not accept its authority. It should be noted that the above philosophical points do not give the devotee the right to proudly criticize others as rascals. The only persons who are qualified to repeat the strong words of the Lord are those who do so out of compassion in a mood of service, a mode of freeing the world society from the shackles of ignorance. Those who speak out of pride will not be effective in purifying the world atmosphere of untruth because they are still holding on to the impurities, the untruths, within their own hearts. In conclusion, it is necessary to speak the truth in order to put a stop to the untruth which has practically completely engulfed the world. I hope that this has clarified this issue to your full satisfaction. Sankarshan Das Adhikari