IndiaDivine.org

Happy Krishna-Janmashtami !!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Krishna-Janmashtami greetings to Bhagavan Sri Krishna and all Vaishnavas !!! ,

The Vaishnavas begin the Krishna-Janmashtami festival by fasting on the previous day (Saptami). This is followed by a night-long vigil commemorating the birth of Krishna at night, and his immediate removal by his father to a foster-home for safe-keeping. At midnight, the Deity of the infant Krishna is bathed, placed in a cradle and worshipped. In the early morning, ladies draw patterns of little children's feet outside the house with rice-flour paste, walking towards the house. This symbolizes the entry of the infant Krishna into his foster-home. After ablutions, morning prayers and worship, the devout break their fast with Prasadam, food that has first been offered to Bhagavan Krishna . During the fore-noon hours, the "Dahi-Handi" (see below) custom is celebrated. This is followed by sumptuous mid-day vegetarian feasts, where extended families customarily get together. Sweets made of milk and other dairy products, especially butter, are traditionally prepared on this occasion.

The temples at Vrindavan and Mathura witness a colourful, celebration on this occasion, and festivities at these places may extend for several days. Devotional songs and dances mark the celebration. The Rasa Lila is performed to recreate incidents from the life of Krishna and commemorate his love for Radha .

Care is taken not to imitate the Rasa Lila in a mundane way. One should not imitate the Rasa Lila even in dreams. The idea is that Krishna, the Supreme God's pastimes cannot be understood by the mundane mind-set and discussing them should therefore be avoided altogether. Krishna's pastimes with Srimati Radha can never be understood by materialistic people, they are transcendental and great care should be taken to present them in such manner.

While the Rasa Lila recreates the youthful Krishna's dalliance with the milkmaids of his native land, the "Dahi-Handi" tradition re-enacts his childhood pranks, wherein Krishna and his young friends helped themselves to butter and other goodies in the houses of their neighbours. Clay pots called "Dahi-Handi", filled with curd and butter, are suspended high above the ground. To a constant chorus of "Govinda, Govinda " from all those present, teams of young men form human pyramids to reach the pot and break it, to the merriment of the youths and of the assembly.The festival is thus celebrated with great joy and togetherness by one and all.

Bhagavan Sri Krishna instructs Uddhava in Srimad Bhagavatham , Chapter -11 :

SB 11.11.20 : My dear Uddhava, an intelligent person should never take to literatures that do not, contain descriptions of My activities which purify the whole universe. Indeed, I create, maintain and annihilate the entire material manifestation. Among all My pastime incarnations, the most beloved are Krishna and Balarama . Any so-called knowledge that does not recognize these activities of Mine is simply barren and is not acceptable to those who are actually intelligent .

SB 11.11.21 : Coming to this conclusion of all knowledge, one should give up the false conception of material variety that one imposes upon the soul and thus cease one's material existence. The mind should be fixed on Me, since I am all-pervading.

SB 11.11.22 : My dear Uddhava , if you are not able to free your mind from all material disturbance and thus absorb it completely on the spiritual platform, then perform all your activities as an offering to Me, without trying to enjoy the fruits.

SB 11.11.23-24 : My dear Uddhava, narrations of My pastimes and qualities are all-auspicious and purify the entire universe. A faithful person who constantly hears, glorifies and remembers such transcendental activities, who through dramatic performances relives My pastimes, beginning with My appearance, and who takes full shelter of Me, dedicating his religious, sensual and occupational activities for My satisfaction, certainly obtains unflinching Bhakti-Yoga (devotional service) to Me, the eternal Personality of Godhead.

SB 11.11.25 : One who has obtained pure devotional service by association with My devotees always engages in worshiping Me. Thus he very easily goes to My abode, which is revealed by My pure devotees.

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!!!

SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev