IndiaDivine.org

Charity in the Mode of Krishna-Bhakti .

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna! Dandavat Pranams to Bhagavan Sri Krishna and all Vaishnavas,

Bhagavan Sri Krishna says in Gita that He is our Best friend and Well wisher . All our fortunes such as Parents , Wife , Children , Job , Money are Bhagavan's Mercy . Still, why are we hesitant to recognise HIM ?.

We should treat life as a thanks-giving to Sri Krishna . We have received His mercy . And, now it is our turn to return His favours by engaging in Krishna-Bhakti .

When we see a suffering person , we should understand that suffering is a wound . Underneath the wound, is the puss of "Past-karma" . It can be cleaned only by taking shelter in Bhagavan Krishna and chanting His names . After initiating this process , the medicine of our "Charity" can be applied . A help given and received in the mode of Krishna-Bhakti will be absolutely productive .

Sometimes back , a sick person sent an e-mail (attached with his photo) asking for financial help from this group's members . There was no mention at all about Krishna or God in his e-mail .

I sent him a reply stating " This is a group of Krishna-devotees who are instruments of Bhagavan . So, please take refuge in Sri Krishna , chant His names to clear your "Karmic-reactions" and then post a message to this group seeking a help in the name of Sri Krishna ".

What that person did next was to exit the group immediately .

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!!! SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

Pranams to all devotees.

When I read Ur mail I am reminded of a story which

is real , told by brahmasri Aanjam Krishnan Nambootiri

in his Bhagavatam Discourse. There was a great devotee

of Lord Krishna who was a well wisher & also was a

Maestro in the rendering of Srimad Bhagavatam . His

Name was Vazhakunnam Nambootirippad. He used to make

all people to utter the name of lord always. once a

begger came to him & begged for alms. he told him that

if U utter Narayana for 108 times I shall give U full

meals & also this golden ring which the Nambootiri was

wearing in his hands. You know what he did?he scolded

everybody with utter nonsense. & cursed everybody &

went away. That is the nature of sin . The

Prarabdhakarma does not allow them to sing the name of

lord.

--- srikrishnadasa_rajeev

<srikrishnadasa_rajeev wrote:

Bye Om namo narayanaya

>

> Hare Krishna! Dandavat Pranams to Bhagavan Sri

> Krishna and all

> Vaishnavas,

>

> Bhagavan Sri Krishna says in Gita that He is our

> Best friend and Well

> wisher . All our fortunes such as Parents , Wife ,

> Children , Job ,

> Money are Bhagavan's Mercy . Still, why are we

> hesitant to

> recognise HIM ?.

>

> We should treat life as a thanks-giving to Sri

> Krishna . We have

> received His mercy . And, now it is our turn to

> return His favours by

> engaging in Krishna-Bhakti .

>

> When we see a suffering person , we should

> understand that suffering is

> a wound . Underneath the wound, is the puss of

> " Past-karma " .

> It can be cleaned only by taking shelter in

> Bhagavan Krishna and

> chanting His names . After initiating this process ,

> the medicine of our

> " Charity " can be applied . A help given and

> received in the

> mode of Krishna-Bhakti will be absolutely productive

> .

>

> Sometimes back , a sick person sent an e-mail

> (attached with his

> photo) asking for financial help from this group's

> members . There

> was no mention at all about Krishna or God in his

> e-mail .

>

> I sent him a reply stating " This is a group of

> Krishna-devotees who

> are instruments of Bhagavan . So, please take refuge

> in Sri Krishna ,

> chant His names to clear your " Karmic-reactions " and

> then post a

> message to this group seeking a help in the name of

> Sri Krishna " .

>

> What that person did next was to exit the group

> immediately .

>

> Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!!!

> SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev

>

______________________________\

____

Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know.

Ask your question on www.Answers.

Om Namoh Narayanaya. My humble pranaams to all devotees. When we live in countries with people of various ethnicities and religions one cannot do as the Brahmasri did. All kinds of people beg and while some people I know only give alms to those only from their own religion and some give to their own ethnic background--in my mind I cannot do the same. I always remember the various Kathas of Bhagwaan coming in any form. The Sri Satya Narayana Vrat Katha demonstrated how Bhagwaan came as a mendicant and he was chased away by Sadhu.So when a beggar comes to me, I give without asking them anything--I give what I can. About a month ago, I was observing the Purnima Vrata and had finished the Puja and ate my Prasad but was waiting until it was a little later to break my vrata. So I went down into the garden, as soon as I neared the fence, a man suddenly appeared. I didn't notice him

coming at all. He asked me for some food. Most beggars ask for money but he only wanted food. So I went back inside and took some of the dinner that I had prepared and wrapped it up and gave it to him. He took it and went away. I never saw him again until about a week ago. Another Vrat day and he came and asked my Bhaiya for food again--we gave him. It must be just an ordinary beggar appearing suddenly and we look upon it as a chance to feed someone on a special day. As I am writing this, I remember the Kathas too of Sri Ambarisa Ji and Sri Gajendra Ji. Oh well, who knows who it is that is coming to our doorstep and once we have something to give, we must consider it as a blessing--that we have to give. TAD VISNOH PARAMAM PADAMOm Tat Sat Sri Krsnapranamastu. In His Service, Nandrani "Non-cooperation with evil

is a sacred duty." M.K. Gandhi Ji HARI BOL

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Hare Krishna ! Dandavat Pranams to Bhagavan Sri Krishna and all Vaishnavas ,

As Nandaji has mentioned , providing food and minor amounts to the needy is a routine activity ; and a Krishna-Devotee does it without looking at the qualifications of the recipients . In this regard , I remember one incident in my place . A rich family conducted a huge "Ritual" as an offering to the Deity . Mass Feeding was done as part of the Ritual . However , a Member of that rich family pushed aside one "Begger" for not standing properly in the Queue and denied him food . Later , when the Vedic-Jyothishi was verifying the satisfaction of Deity , it was revealed to him that the Person who appeared as "Begger" was none other than the Deity ; and therefore the desired purpose of the ritual has not been fulfilled .

What Lalitaji and I meant was not the routine alms-giving stated above but "CHARITY" of a higher nature .

When a person is in deep trouble , a Krishna-Devotee would like to help him by doing "Charity" in the mode of Krishna-bhakti . Brahamasri Vazhakunnam Namboodiri was doing it . He tried to uplift that "Beggar" by instilling Krishna-bhakti in him . Such a change would have solved all his problems once for all .

Bhagavan Sri Krishna says in Gita :

Gita 17.20 : " Charity should be given as a matter of duty. With this resolve, charity given with no expectation of return, at a proper place and time to a worthy person, is considered to be `sattvic' ".

Gita 9.30-31 : "Even a worst sinner , if he worships Me with true bhakti, he should be considered as virtuous ; for he has rightly decided his duty (i.e. there is nothing like devoted worship of Me) . He quickly becomes righteous and attains eternal peace. O Kaunteya, declare it boldly that , My Devotee never perishes. "

Ohm Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya!!!

SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev.

------------ , Nanda <nandukother wrote:>> Om Namoh Narayanaya.> > My humble pranaams to all devotees.> > When we live in countries with people of various ethnicities and religions one cannot do as the Brahmasri did. All kinds of people beg and while some people I know only give alms to those only from their own religion and some give to their own ethnic background--in my mind I cannot do the same. I always remember the various Kathas of Bhagwaan coming in any form. The Sri Satya Narayana Vrat Katha demonstrated how Bhagwaan came as a mendicant and he was chased away by Sadhu.So when a beggar comes to me, I give without asking them anything--I give what I can.> > About a month ago, I was observing the Purnima Vrata and had finished the Puja and ate my Prasad but was waiting until it was a little later to break my vrata. So I went down into the garden, as soon as I neared the fence, a man suddenly appeared. I didn't notice him coming at all. He asked me for some food. Most beggars ask for money but he only wanted food. So I went back inside and took some of the dinner that I had prepared and wrapped it up and gave it to him. He took it and went away. I never saw him again until about a week ago. Another Vrat day and he came and asked my Bhaiya for food again--we gave him.> It must be just an ordinary beggar appearing suddenly and we look upon it as a chance to feed someone on a special day. As I am writing this, I remember the Kathas too of Sri Ambarisa Ji and Sri Gajendra Ji. Oh well, who knows who it is that is coming to our doorstep and once we have something to give, we must consider it as a blessing--that we have to give.> > TAD VISNOH PARAMAM PADAM> Om Tat Sat Sri Krsnapranamastu.> > In His Service,> Nandrani> > > "Non-cooperation with evil is a sacred duty." M.K. Gandhi Ji> > HARI BOL> ------------------------------

Lalitha Venkat (drlalithavenkat2002) wrote…….

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya Pranams to all devotees.

When I read Ur mail I am reminded of a story which is real , told by brahmasri Aanjam Krishnan Nambootiri in his Bhagavatam Discourse. There was a great devotee of Lord Krishna who was a well wisher & also was a Maestro in the rendering of Srimad Bhagavatam . His Name was Vazhakunnam Nambootirippad. He used to makeall people to utter the name of lord always. once a begger came to him & begged for alms. he told him that if U utter Narayana for 108 times I shall give U full meals & also this golden ring which the Nambootiri was wearing in his hands. You know what he did?he scolded everybody with utter nonsense. & cursed everybody & went away. That is the nature of sin . The Prarabdhakarma does not allow them to sing the name of lord

Srikrishnadasa_rajeev (srikrishnadasa_rajeev) wrote………

Hare Krishna! Dandavat Pranams to Bhagavan Sri Krishna and all Vaishnavas,

Bhagavan Sri Krishna says in Gita that He is our Best friend and Well wisher . All our fortunes such as Parents , Wife , Children , Job , Money are Bhagavan's Mercy . Still, why are we hesitant to recognise HIM ?.

We should treat life as a thanks-giving to Sri Krishna . We have received His mercy . And, now it is our turn to return His favours by engaging in Krishna-Bhakti .

When we see a suffering person , we should understand that suffering is a wound . Underneath the wound, is the puss of "Past-karma" . It can be cleaned only by taking shelter in Bhagavan Krishna and chanting His names . After initiating this process , the medicine of our "Charity" can be applied . A help given and received in the mode of Krishna-Bhakti will be absolutely productive .

Sometimes back , a sick person sent an e-mail (attached with his photo) asking for financial help from this group's members . There was no mention at all about Krishna or God in his e-mail .

I sent him a reply stating " This is a group of Krishna-devotees who are instruments of Bhagavan . So, please take refuge in Sri Krishna , chant His names to clear your "Karmic-reactions" and then post a message to this group seeking a help in the name of Sri Krishna ".

What that person did next was to exit the group immediately .

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!!!

SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev

Hare Krishna, Please accept my dandavat pranam, I have gone through all the comments regarding the above subject, I still have a question, that do we stop giving charity to beggars, do we stop being a part of a charitable faternity, do we not help the helpless? Of course while helping the downtrodden, unfortunate people we would be passing Krishna Bhakti if we are true Bhakta. The person who we are helping will eventually get a spark of a realization depending upon our progress in Krishna Bhakti. When we do Krishna bhakti, we are also awakening our soul-- Jiva Jago as sung by his grace Sri Narottama Dasa Thakura. A true vaisnava with his soul awakened (even a bit) can never see any suffering, as the Vaishnava is not concerned with the body but the soul, therefore a vaishnav sees Lord Krishna in every living being. The Krishna

bhakti will be automatically delivered to another person by a Pure Vaishnava regardless he teaches or not. Krishna Bhakti is not a manifestation of our mind but our Atma or Soul. As even a common man on the street says "Any person speaking from Heart will always touch the heart of the others". The heart here refers to our soul, therefore our soul awakening is very important as whatever we speak or do will communicate krishna bhakti by default. Please do forgive me for my comments as I am just trying to be a devotee of Lord Hari and I have expressed myself without any reservations to find a true answer. In the service of Guru and Gauranga Your humble servant Tuhin Banerjeesrikrishnadasa_rajeev <srikrishnadasa_rajeev wrote: Hare Krishna ! Dandavat Pranams to Bhagavan Sri Krishna and all Vaishnavas , As Nandaji has mentioned , providing food and minor amounts to the needy is a routine activity ; and a Krishna-Devotee does it without looking at the qualifications of the recipients . In this regard , I remember one incident in my place . A rich family conducted a huge "Ritual" as an offering to the Deity . Mass Feeding was done as

part of the Ritual . However , a Member of that rich family pushed aside one "Begger" for not standing properly in the Queue and denied him food . Later , when the Vedic-Jyothishi was verifying the satisfaction of Deity , it was revealed to him that the Person who appeared as "Begger" was none other than the Deity ; and therefore the desired purpose of the ritual has not been fulfilled . What Lalitaji and I meant was not the routine alms-giving stated above but "CHARITY" of a higher nature . When a person is in deep trouble , a Krishna-Devotee would like to help him by doing "Charity" in the mode of Krishna-bhakti . Brahamasri Vazhakunnam

Namboodiri was doing it . He tried to uplift that "Beggar" by instilling Krishna-bhakti in him . Such a change would have solved all his problems once for all . Bhagavan Sri Krishna says in Gita : Gita 17.20 : " Charity should be given as a matter of duty. With this resolve, charity given with no expectation of return, at a proper place and time to a worthy person, is considered to be `sattvic' ". Gita 9.30-31 :

"Even a worst sinner , if he worships Me with true bhakti, he should be considered as virtuous ; for he has rightly decided his duty (i.e. there is nothing like devoted worship of Me) . He quickly becomes righteous and attains eternal peace. O Kaunteya, declare it boldly that , My Devotee never perishes. " Ohm Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya!!! SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev. ------------ , Nanda <nandukother wrote:>> Om Namoh Narayanaya.> > My humble pranaams to all devotees.> > When we live in countries with people of various ethnicities and religions one cannot do as the Brahmasri did. All kinds of people beg and while some people I know only give alms to those only from their own religion and some give to their own ethnic background--in my mind I cannot do the same. I always remember the various Kathas of Bhagwaan coming in any form. The Sri Satya Narayana Vrat Katha demonstrated how Bhagwaan

came as a mendicant and he was chased away by Sadhu.So when a beggar comes to me, I give without asking them anything--I give what I can.> > About a month ago, I was observing the Purnima Vrata and had finished the Puja and ate my Prasad but was waiting until it was a little later to break my vrata. So I went down into the garden, as soon as I neared the fence, a man suddenly appeared. I didn't notice him coming at all. He asked me for some food. Most beggars ask for money but he only wanted food. So I went back inside and took some of the dinner that I had prepared and wrapped it up and gave it to him. He took it and went away. I never saw him again until about a week ago. Another Vrat day and he came and asked my Bhaiya for food again--we gave him.> It must be just an ordinary beggar appearing suddenly and we look upon it as a chance to feed someone on a special day. As I am writing this, I remember the Kathas too of Sri Ambarisa Ji and Sri Gajendra

Ji. Oh well, who knows who it is that is coming to our doorstep and once we have something to give, we must consider it as a blessing--that we have to give.> > TAD VISNOH PARAMAM PADAM> Om Tat Sat Sri Krsnapranamastu.> > In His Service,> Nandrani> > > "Non-cooperation with evil is a sacred duty." M.K. Gandhi Ji> > HARI BOL> ------------------------------ Lalitha Venkat (drlalithavenkat2002 ) wrote……. Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya Pranams to all devotees. When I read Ur mail I am reminded of a story which is real , told by brahmasri Aanjam Krishnan Nambootiri in his Bhagavatam Discourse. There was a great devotee of Lord Krishna who was a well wisher & also was a Maestro in the rendering of Srimad Bhagavatam . His Name was Vazhakunnam Nambootirippad. He used to makeall people to utter the name of lord always. once a begger came to him & begged for alms. he told him that if U utter Narayana for 108 times I shall give U full meals & also this golden ring which the Nambootiri was wearing in his hands. You know what he did?he scolded everybody with utter nonsense. & cursed everybody & went away. That is the nature of sin . The Prarabdhakarma does not allow them to sing the name of lord Srikrishnadasa_rajeev (srikrishnadasa_rajeev ) wrote……… Hare Krishna! Dandavat Pranams to Bhagavan Sri Krishna and all Vaishnavas, Bhagavan Sri Krishna says in Gita that He is our Best friend and Well wisher . All our fortunes such as Parents , Wife , Children , Job , Money are Bhagavan's Mercy . Still, why are we hesitant to recognise HIM ?. We should treat life as a thanks-giving to Sri Krishna . We have received His mercy . And, now it is our turn to return His favours by engaging in Krishna-Bhakti . When we see a suffering person , we should understand that suffering is a wound . Underneath the wound, is the puss of "Past-karma" . It can be cleaned only by taking shelter in Bhagavan Krishna and chanting His names . After initiating this process , the medicine of our "Charity" can be applied . A help given and received in the mode of Krishna-Bhakti will be absolutely productive . Sometimes back , a sick person sent an e-mail (attached with his photo) asking for financial help

from this group's members . There was no mention at all about Krishna or God in his e-mail . I sent him a reply stating " This is a group of Krishna-devotees who are instruments of Bhagavan . So, please take refuge in Sri Krishna , chant His names to clear your "Karmic-reactions" and then post a message to this group seeking a help in the name of Sri Krishna ". What that person did next was to exit the group immediately . Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!!! SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev

Om Namoh Narayanaya Om Visnave Namah. My humble pranaams to all devotees. Sri Krishnadasa Rajeev Ji, Thanks so much for your reply. I know that what you and Lalit Ji meant about Charity in a Higher Nature but as always my concern is for those who do not know or understand that Higher Nature. Someone unfamiliar with Dharma reading the story that Lalit Ji mentioned can take that and use it as a means of escaping from giving alms. Like for example if a non Indian beggar or non Hindu beggar comes and ask for help they can say--well I won't give you alms because you will not repeat the name of Lord Krsna or Lord Rama---only They can save your souls. This of course will be very wrong as we know that we must never force anyone to accept Lord Rama or Lord Krsna or any of His Forms.Or some others can say that you people only give alms to people if they accept your God. Then

we will be guilty of the same sin as those who resort to entrapment of the helpless to get them converted to their faiths. From my Pita Ji and my own little experiences, I know that just by giving alone you can change people and even make them come to The Lord. Four years ago, while at work I read a story in the newspapers about a handicap young girl who as burnt alive while playing alone in their home. I saw a photo of 6 of her brothers and sisters who had now lost everything except the school clothes they were wearing. I got some things and went in search for them. When I got there, if I didn't have a strong mind/heart I would have gotten back into my car and drove as fast away from there as possible. The place was in an abandoned maidan(open ground). They have a piece of plastic tarp tied up on 4 pieces of sticks to make a tent--this was now their home. There was a big metal pot of rice and meat boiling on some bricks right in

the open air--flies everywhere.The Mother was dead so it was 7 children and the father( he was not there when I got there). The eldest child was 18 and she was already married with an infant --the others were from 16 to 4 yrs old. The younger ones were running around--unkempt with dirt all over their bodies. Two little girls were lying/rolling around on the mud ground near to where I was standing and one started playing with the payals on my feet. I was so horrified at what I saw. There was a young newspaper reporter who had come to get the story but she too forgot about writing and was trying to see how she could help them--as soon as she saw me she was like--Thank God you are here--now I can run away! What I did was to seek immediate help to get them a proper shelter. Many people that I went to offered to give things to build back a home and luckily a millionaire businessman offered to build the home. I was almost there everyday helping them. He

was Hindu turned Christian but he later told me that none of his church people really helped him--all they did was do the funeral service for the dead child and he never saw them again. Long story short---he started sending his kids to the mandir in his village and begged me to come and take the children to my Bacchon Class each Sunday afternoon. I couldn't refuse even though it meant that I had to drive 4 miles to collect them and most times had to wait for them!! When the home was completed, he told me that he wanted to open the home according to Hindu rites.At no time did I ever tell this man that he must come back to Hinduism again or else I won't help him. He came back because of what he saw was my kindness.This is why I can say that without telling anyone that they must accept Bhagwaan--but our own actions as His Devotees--His Representatives--we will draw them close/bring them to Him. TAD

VISNOH PARAMAM PADAM. Om Tat Sat Sri Krsnapranamastu. In His Service, Nandrani "Non-cooperation with evil is a sacred duty." M.K. Gandhi Ji HARI BOL

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine