IndiaDivine.org

Remembering Srila Prabhupada - First visit to England

Rate this topic

Guest guest

First visit to EnglandThe devotees in London had advised me to enter England as a tourist. Standing in queue, waiting to speak to the immigration officer, I tried to look as calm and casual as possible. But I felt constricted by the three-piece suit and heavy overcoat, and the tie was choking my neck. I wondered if the plastic-brimmed hat I was wearing looked odd. It had become crumpled on the airplane, but I had to keep it on to cover my shaved head and sikha.The queue was moving quickly. Immigration

procedures were a standard formality, I reminded myself, and there was nothing to worry about. Now it was my turn. I moved up to the desk and handed my passport and entry card to the officer. How long was I planning to stay? he asked. Did I have any friends or relatives that I would be staying with?"I am planning to see the country," I replied, "and travel for about two months. I have one friend whom I will be contacting, Mr. Michael Grant." (Mukunda had suggested I use his name in case a contact person was asked for.)The immigration officer had been taking notes. Now he asked me to wait by standing over to the side. I tried my best not to be anxious. His questions had been ordinary, and I had answered them without hesitation. But what did this delay mean?After a few minutes he returned. "I phoned your Mr. Grant, but he was not available at this number," the officer began in a heavy British accent. "Instead I spoke with a Syamasundara dasa.

Apparently he was aware of your arrival. But his explanation for your visit is quite different than what you have written here. I would suggest, in fact, that you have actually come here as part of a religious organization. And furthermore, you will be remaining here to help organize missionary activities and centers throughout Europe."I was dumbfounded. Why had Syamasundara revealed my identity in such a careless manner? I tried to look surprised at what I had just heard. "I don't know of any Syamasundara, and I have come here as stated, as a tourist for seeing the sights. You must have gotten the wrong number." But the British officer was not convinced."Young man, please take your seat in the rear of the hall," he said coldly, pointing to a section of vacant seats. There was no alternative but to follow his direction. As I turned around and walked toward the seats, I tried to maintain my composure. But inside I felt devastated. What would happen now?

Would I be refused entry into England? I had given up my position in Los Angeles, handed over all of my responsibilities to others, and had received a farewell send-off from all of the devotees. And in New York and Boston everyone expected me to be assuming a new service for Srila Prabhupada in Europe. To return without even entering the country would be an embarrassing defeat. I felt bewildered by this unexpected turn of events. What should have been a simple formality was suddenly becoming an insurmountable obstacle.I watched the long queues of passengers dwindle down until I alone remained. Nearly one hour had passed. Then the officer who had interviewed me approached, along with another official. They requested me to state again the purpose of my visit to England. But this time they wanted to know more of my back ground. Where did I reside, and what was my occupation? Suddenly the official reached at me, yanking at my tie and hooking his fingers into my

neckbeads. "What are these?" he challenged. His intense gaze seemed to penetrate my attempted disguise. There was no longer any point in trying to conceal my identity. I admitted that I was a devotee of Krsna and that I had come to London on the order of my spiritual master to help him spread Krsna consciousness. I was ready to tell them whatever they wanted to know.But the officers had heard enough. After taking my baggage claim tags they left me alone again. Although I had been exposed, somehow I felt safer than before. At least now I could think and act as a devotee. I began to pray to Srila Prabhupada. He had called me here, and now I was only minutes away from his lotus feet. "Srila Prabhupada," I prayed, "please help me. I only want to serve you. Please don't let them turn me away. Please allow me to see you." I was physically and mentally exhausted from the long flight and this present ordeal.After another hour's wait the officials returned with my

luggage, which they made me open before them. They searched through the clothing and found my chanting beads, the Bhagavad-gita As It Is, and other devotional items. When they came across a file of correspondence, they took this with them into a nearby office.After some time had elapsed they returned and requested me to follow them. I walked behind, carrying my bags. We passed out of the main hall and walked through various corridors, eventually arriving at the office of the airport physician. The doctor introduced himself and asked me to sit down. I was glad to be in his office. Compared to that of the immigration officials, his manner was personal and friendly. But why had they brought me to a doctor?Suddenly I realized what had happened. On the physician's desk was a letter from my files. The letter was a psychiatrist's report addressed to the medical officer of the Draft Board. The report indicated that I was a highly maladjusted individual with severe

psychological problems. The British officials had no doubt concluded that to allow me entry into the country would be a great risk.I laughed to myself. In order to avoid being drafted into the armed forces I had obtained this letter, written by a friendly psychiatrist who had produced an exaggerated report to convince the U.S. government that I was not fit for military service. I had not yet made use of the letter, but I had kept it in case it was ever required. Rather than helping me, it seemed that the report was about to be the cause of my undoing.My only hope was to sincerely explain the facts to the doctor and hope that he believed me. He seemed intelligent and not prejudiced. "You see, sir," I began, "many of my countrymen do not agree with the American government's policies in the Vietnam War. For this reason, young men like myself are not agreeing to be drafted." I knew that Britain did not approve of America's position in the war. "There are also

many sympathetic professionals, such as the psychiatrist who has written this letter," I went on. "Actually, you can see I am quite normal, and if you speak further with me I am sure you will be convinced of my sanity. I have not come to England for any purpose other than to assist in the missionary activities of our religious society, which will greatly benefit all the people of England. Because I was unsure of the official policy regarding missionaries, I listed the purpose of my visit as tourism.'' The British doctor was intrigued and asked me a number of questions about my beliefs. Within a short time he was convinced that I was not a dangerous element and recommended the officials allow me entry into the country. He smiled, shook my hand, and wished me good luck.Within minutes I was once again at the immigration desk. This time the officials quickly stamped my passport with an entry visa and smiled, bidding me an enjoyable stay in England.- From the

"Servant of the Servant" by HH Tamala Krsna GoswamiCHANT HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE AND BE HAPPY Your humble servant radhabhava gaur das

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

I AM NEW TO THIS GROUP AND WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE MYSELF. I LIVE IN

ENGLAND AND HAVE DEVELOPED A BELIEF IN ONE GOD, CAPABLE OF

EXPERIENCE BY EVERYONE VIA MEDITATION AND CHANT. I WAS DRAWN TO YOUR

GROUP TO EXPLORE YOUR VEWS AND I HAVE JUST STARTED TO READ THE GITA.

I WAS TROUBLED ENORMOUSLY BY THIS POST, EXTRACS OF WHICH I HAVE

ATTACHED BELOW.

WHY HAS A DEVOTEE WILFULLY LIED ABOUT HIS BELIEFS, OCCUPATION,

PURPOSE OF VISIT AND HIS HEALTH?

I CAN NOT SQUARE SUCH DECEITFUL CONDUCT WITH THE IDEAS ON THE

VARIOUS WEB SITES. WHEN THIS CHAP TOLD THE TRUTH HE WAS ADMITTED TO

THE UK. HAD HE BEEN A CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR IN THE USA, THAT WOULD

HAVE BEEN ACCEPTABLE.

CAN ANY OF YOU EXPLAIN THIS BEHAVIOUR TO ME?

, Radha Krishna Nambiar

<radhabhavajps wrote:

>

> First visit to England

>

> The devotees in London had advised me to enter England as a

tourist.>

> " I am planning to see the country, " I replied, " and travel for

about two months. I have one friend whom I will be contacting, Mr.

Michael Grant. " (Mukunda had suggested I use his name in case a

contact person was asked for.)

>

> " I phoned your Mr. Grant, but he was not available at this

number, " the officer began in a heavy British accent. " Instead I

spoke with a Syamasundara dasa. Apparently he was aware of your

arrival. But his explanation for your visit is quite different than

what you have written here. I would suggest, in fact, that you have

actually come here as part of a religious organization. And

furthermore, you will be remaining here to help organize missionary

activities and centers throughout Europe. "

>

> I was dumbfounded. Why had Syamasundara revealed my identity in

such a careless manner? I tried to look surprised at what I had just

heard. " I don't know of any Syamasundara, and I have come here as

stated, as a tourist for seeing the sights. You must have gotten the

wrong number. " But the British officer was not convinced.

On the physician's desk was a letter from my files. The letter was

a psychiatrist's report addressed to the medical officer of the

Draft Board. The report indicated that I was a highly maladjusted

individual with severe psychological problems. The British officials

had no doubt concluded that to allow me entry into the country would

be a great risk.

>

> I laughed to myself. In order to avoid being drafted into the

armed forces I had obtained this letter, written by a friendly

psychiatrist who had produced an exaggerated report to convince the

U.S. government that I was not fit for military service. I had not

yet made use of the letter, but I had kept it in case it was ever

required. Rather than helping me, it seemed that the report was

about to be the cause of my undoing.

>

> My only hope was to sincerely explain the

> Within minutes I was once again at the immigration desk. This time

the officials quickly stamped my passport with an entry visa and

smiled, bidding me an enjoyable stay in England.

>

> - From the " Servant of the Servant " by HH Tamala Krsna Goswami

>

>

>

>

>

>