IndiaDivine.org

Remembering Srila Prabhupada - One's word to Krsna had to be kept

Rate this topic

Guest guest

One's word to Krsna had to be keptIn his public lectures as well as private meetings, Srila Prabhupada did not hesitate to take his countrymen to task for giving up their Vedic culture. He would patiently explain to them the actual meaning of sanatana-dharma, or eternal religious principles. Krsna was not a demigod, like Brahma or Siva. As the Supreme Personality of Godhead, He has no equal. Throughout the Vedas there is an ultimate injunction: that Krsna is to be known, worshiped, and served by everyone, under all circumstances. One who does this has accomplished the purpose of human life; otherwise he is a failure, no matter how

successful he may appear to be by material estimation.As uncompromising as Prabhupada was in his dealings with the Indian community, he was even more strict with his disciples. When Syamasundara tried to avoid the responsibility for selling half of the consignment of newly printed Krsna books, Prabhupada persisted. His disciple had given his word, and now there was no backing out. And when I had casually suggested that a Spanish edition of BTG would be useful, Srila Prabhupada had immediately countered that I go at once to Spain and open a center- otherwise what was the use of such an empty suggestion?It was not that Prabhupada was harsh in such dealings. If he was immovable, it was to teach us an important lesson. One's word to Krsna had to be kept. One should not speak frivolously, especially before Krsna's representative. Srila Prabhupada was training us to be disciplined in our thoughts, words, and actions. He had accepted the task of taking us out of

the material world, back to Krsna, and by disciplining us to accept devotional service as an unforsakable duty, he was preparing us to mature to a higher stage of Krsna consciousness, where our service to Krsna would be spontaneously aroused.Like a patient parent, Srila Prabhupada answered all of our questions. I had asked whether I could chant the names of the gopis, thinking that it would be beneficial to remember Krsna's purest devotees. Lord Caitanya had once chanted "gopi, gopi," feeling the ecstasy of separation from Krsna. Though I had no right to imitate such exalted sentiments, Srila Prabhupada did not chastise me for my indiscretion. My question was more whimsical than presumptuous. It was like that of a small child who, while having a story read to him by his father, asks a question out of context. The father, rather than rejecting, satisfies his inquisitive son, and then again brings the child back to the story. So Srila Prabhupada patiently replied,

but at last indicated the preferred method-that by singing the prayer "sri-radha-krsna-padan saha-gana-lalita-sri-visakhanvitams ca," all of the gopis would be included.- From the "Servant of the Servant" by HH Tamala Krsna Goswami

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.