IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Why a Guru Is Necessary

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Why a Guru Is NecessaryMany of you have been studying with me for ten, twenty or thirty years.Iwant you to think and think through the rest of the day about thespirit of the satguru. Suppose you didn't have a satguru. You would beguided by the spirit of your intellect, or the spirit of your instinct,or the energies of confusion. The satguru only has one job, to keep hisdevotees on the right track. We do not follow the way of words, which isrepeating from memory verses and stanzas of scripture with meager mentalinterpretations of their meaning. We follow the way of transformationalspiritual unfoldment. We follow the marga of sadhana and tapas. Shishyasmove from one stage to another in spiritual unfoldment as they progressthrough the different petals of the higher chakras and come into one ormore inner awakenings, one after another. They are not to settle down inany one or

several of the chakras and consider, "This is a nice life. Ilike this part of my unfoldment, so I won't strive further." They can'tdothat, because the spirit of the guru drives them onward. He isconstantlythinking and saying, "This is not good enough; you can do better."Did Chellappaguru ever say to Yogaswami, "OK, now we've done enough.Let'sjust be ordinary"? No, he kept walking him around and feeding him,walkinghim around and feeding him, walking him around and feeding him, walkinghim around and feeding him, until finally Satguru Yogaswami was walkingaround and feeding everybody, walking around and feeding everybody, andeventually everybody was doing the same thing. Passing on that spiritualquality, we don't have any problems. We don't have to solve problemswithwords. Problems are tackled with words when you are following the pathof words. This can be a long, long, tedious process. But when

spiritualawakenings are there, problems are solved by lifting consciousness. Theproblem goes away, just automatically goes away. It is a do-it-yourselfprocess, a mystical tantra not to be ignored.Every Hindu needs a satguru, a preceptor. The satguru is as much apart of Hinduism as are the temples, as are the Vedas and our othergreat scriptures, because not everyone can see for themselves. Theyneed someone to see ahead a little bit for them and to keep them onthe right track and in the right mood. Because people are tribal, theyneed a guide. I've heard prominent swamis all through the years remark,"You all need a spiritual guide. If you don't want me, find somebodyelse, but you need someone to guide you through life." It could be agrandmother, it could be a grandfather, it could be your astrologer,a temple priest, a visiting yogi or a resident swami in your community,a sadhu, a pandit or a rare satguru--somebody

that you will listen toandfollow. The choice must be made after much consideration, after talkingwith parents, consulting elders and searching the heart. Once the choiceis made, don't change your mind. Be loyal and give him or her all thelove and devotion you have to give and more. Take advice and admonitionasgolden offerings and proceed in confidence. Many benefits will come fromtheir guidance on the path of dharma for a fruitful and fulfilling life.A heavy burden falls upon the preceptor, too. He or she must produceresults and continue to do so. Preceptors are not entertainers, contenttobe lauded or bowed down to in adulation. Rather, they must benefit theirfollowers' lives, lessen their karmic burdens and strengthen the family,hold marriages together, as well as seek out potential religious leadersand train them well. They must follow the karmas of each individual andeach family year after year, and

they must be there for devotees whenneeded most. They must demonstrate their shanti and bask in the blissof attainment. They must be spirit, for spirit lives on.

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Mail Beta.

Guest guest

Hari-Om!

That is the dilemma these days. Most "wanted to be Gurus" have tendency of asking/expecting the disciple to be his devotee. They take the advantage of Bhagwat Geeta where Bhagwan Krishna says that Guru is my representative. But he also does not say that you should not worship me. He says surrender to me fully. (The part most of the gurus forget).

Real Gurus, like Swami Vivekanand Ji, do not concern themselves with such minor things. Then they are worth the worship and you won't feel the difference if you are devotee for Guru or Bhagwan. This is just my opinion. Hence my Guru is Jagatguru Shri Krishna.

- Jagdish Madhav

-

Monique Cardell

Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:18 PM

Re: Fwd: Why a Guru Is Necessary

I would like to have a satguru, but I could not be his/her devotee, because I am a devotee only of Bhagwaan.

MoniqueCapil Sookdeo <capilsookdeo > wrote:

Why a Guru Is NecessaryMany of you have been studying with me for ten, twenty or thirty years.Iwant you to think and think through the rest of the day about thespirit of the satguru. Suppose you didn't have a satguru. You would beguided by the spirit of your intellect, or the spirit of your instinct,or the energies of confusion. The satguru only has one job, to keep hisdevotees on the right track. We do not follow the way of words, which isrepeating from memory verses and stanzas of scripture with meager mentalinterpretations of their meaning. We follow the way of transformationalspiritual unfoldment. We follow the marga of sadhana and tapas. Shishyasmove from one stage to another in spiritual unfoldment as they progressthrough the different petals of the higher chakras and come into one ormore inner awakenings, one after another. They are not to settle down inany one or several of the chakras and consider, "This is a nice life. Ilike this part of my unfoldment, so I won't strive further." They can'tdothat, because the spirit of the guru drives them onward. He isconstantlythinking and saying, "This is not good enough; you can do better."Did Chellappaguru ever say to Yogaswami, "OK, now we've done enough.Let'sjust be ordinary"? No, he kept walking him around and feeding him,walkinghim around and feeding him, walking him around and feeding him, walkinghim around and feeding him, until finally Satguru Yogaswami was walkingaround and feeding everybody, walking around and feeding everybody, andeventually everybody was doing the same thing. Passing on that spiritualquality, we don't have any problems. We don't have to solve problemswithwords. Problems are tackled with words when you are following the pathof words. This can be a long, long, tedious process. But when spiritualawakenings are there, problems are solved by lifting consciousness. Theproblem goes away, just automatically goes away. It is a do-it-yourselfprocess, a mystical tantra not to be ignored.Every Hindu needs a satguru, a preceptor. The satguru is as much apart of Hinduism as are the temples, as are the Vedas and our othergreat scriptures, because not everyone can see for themselves. Theyneed someone to see ahead a little bit for them and to keep them onthe right track and in the right mood. Because people are tribal, theyneed a guide. I've heard prominent swamis all through the years remark,"You all need a spiritual guide. If you don't want me, find somebodyelse, but you need someone to guide you through life." It could be agrandmother, it could be a grandfather, it could be your astrologer,a temple priest, a visiting yogi or a resident swami in your community,a sadhu, a pandit or a rare satguru--somebody that you will listen toandfollow. The choice must be made after much consideration, after talkingwith parents, consulting elders and searching the heart. Once the choiceis made, don't change your mind. Be loyal and give him or her all thelove and devotion you have to give and more. Take advice and admonitionasgolden offerings and proceed in confidence. Many benefits will come fromtheir guidance on the path of dharma for a fruitful and fulfilling life.A heavy burden falls upon the preceptor, too. He or she must produceresults and continue to do so. Preceptors are not entertainers, contenttobe lauded or bowed down to in adulation. Rather, they must benefit theirfollowers' lives, lessen their karmic burdens and strengthen the family,hold marriages together, as well as seek out potential religious leadersand train them well. They must follow the karmas of each individual andeach family year after year, and they must be there for devotees whenneeded most. They must demonstrate their shanti and bask in the blissof attainment. They must be spirit, for spirit lives on.

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.Try the free Mail Beta.

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast with the Search weather shortcut.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!The real devotee is the one who not only follow his guru but also his sayings. We have treated theGita as a holy book but we should treat is as a manual for life . Having a guru really helps for a normal person like me is very prone to making mistakes.yours truely,ShubhroJay Madhav <jay_madhav wrote: Hari-Om! That is the dilemma these

days. Most "wanted to be Gurus" have tendency of asking/expecting the disciple to be his devotee. They take the advantage of Bhagwat Geeta where Bhagwan Krishna says that Guru is my representative. But he also does not say that you should not worship me. He says surrender to me fully. (The part most of the gurus forget). Real Gurus, like Swami Vivekanand Ji, do not concern themselves with such minor things. Then they are worth the worship and you won't feel the difference if you are devotee for Guru or Bhagwan. This is just my opinion. Hence my Guru is Jagatguru Shri Krishna. - Jagdish Madhav

- Monique Cardell Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:18 PM Re: Fwd: Why a Guru Is Necessary I would like to have a satguru, but I could not be his/her devotee, because I am a devotee only of Bhagwaan. MoniqueCapil Sookdeo <capilsookdeo > wrote: Why a Guru Is NecessaryMany of you have been studying with me for ten, twenty or thirty years.Iwant you to think and think through the rest of the day about thespirit of the satguru. Suppose you didn't have a satguru. You would beguided by the spirit of your intellect, or the spirit of your instinct,or the energies of confusion. The satguru only has one job, to keep hisdevotees on the right track. We do not follow the way of words, which isrepeating from memory verses and stanzas of scripture with meager mentalinterpretations of their meaning. We follow the way of transformationalspiritual unfoldment. We follow the marga of sadhana and tapas. Shishyasmove from one stage to another in spiritual

unfoldment as they progressthrough the different petals of the higher chakras and come into one ormore inner awakenings, one after another. They are not to settle down inany one or several of the chakras and consider, "This is a nice life. Ilike this part of my unfoldment, so I won't strive further." They can'tdothat, because the spirit of the guru drives them onward. He isconstantlythinking and saying, "This is not good enough; you can do better."Did Chellappaguru ever say to Yogaswami, "OK, now we've done enough.Let'sjust be ordinary"? No, he kept walking him around and feeding him,walkinghim around and feeding him, walking him around and feeding him, walkinghim around and feeding him, until finally Satguru Yogaswami was walkingaround and feeding everybody, walking around and feeding everybody, andeventually everybody was doing the same thing.

Passing on that spiritualquality, we don't have any problems. We don't have to solve problemswithwords. Problems are tackled with words when you are following the pathof words. This can be a long, long, tedious process. But when spiritualawakenings are there, problems are solved by lifting consciousness. Theproblem goes away, just automatically goes away. It is a do-it-yourselfprocess, a mystical tantra not to be ignored.Every Hindu needs a satguru, a preceptor. The satguru is as much apart of Hinduism as are the temples, as are the Vedas and our othergreat scriptures, because not everyone can see for themselves. Theyneed someone to see ahead a little bit for them and to keep them onthe right track and in the right mood. Because people are tribal, theyneed a guide. I've heard prominent swamis all through the years remark,"You all need a spiritual guide.

If you don't want me, find somebodyelse, but you need someone to guide you through life." It could be agrandmother, it could be a grandfather, it could be your astrologer,a temple priest, a visiting yogi or a resident swami in your community,a sadhu, a pandit or a rare satguru--somebody that you will listen toandfollow. The choice must be made after much consideration, after talkingwith parents, consulting elders and searching the heart. Once the choiceis made, don't change your mind. Be loyal and give him or her all thelove and devotion you have to give and more. Take advice and admonitionasgolden offerings and proceed in confidence. Many benefits will come fromtheir guidance on the path of dharma for a fruitful and fulfilling life.A heavy burden falls upon the preceptor, too. He or she must produceresults and continue to do so. Preceptors are not

entertainers, contenttobe lauded or bowed down to in adulation. Rather, they must benefit theirfollowers' lives, lessen their karmic burdens and strengthen the family,hold marriages together, as well as seek out potential religious leadersand train them well. They must follow the karmas of each individual andeach family year after year, and they must be there for devotees whenneeded most. They must demonstrate their shanti and bask in the blissof attainment. They must be spirit, for spirit lives on. Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.Try the free Mail Beta. Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast with the Search weather shortcut.

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...