IndiaDivine.org

Srila Prabhupadas journey to the west

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Even if Srila Prabhupada had been unsuccessful, his coming shows that he was in a different mood than any of the thousands of other Vaisnavas in India. All of us were going to hell, but it didn't seem to matter to anyone else. Most Vaisnavas were content with eating, sleeping, performing their own sadhana, and perhaps giving a few speeches here and there. But Prabhupada's heart was tortured with compassion. He begged his Godbrothers to help him, but despite their having institutions, prestige, followers, and knowledge, none of them dared or cared to help. So Bhaktivedanta Swami waited no longer for any of them to make a move, but made his own instead. He was not the head of an institution. He had no support, manpower, or money. No one cared whether he lived or died. But, "I have to try anyway. My spiritual master has ordered."Even Lord Caitanya expressed His "inability" to spread the

sankirtana movement alone. (Cc Adi Chapter 9) Even He, the Supreme Lord Himself, had assistants (sangopangastra parsadam). But Prabhupada had none. Hence his going alone to the cold, unknown shores of the West is the most courageous act in the history of Vaisnavism. It demonstrates his complete fearlessness and faith in the protection of Krsna.When Srila Prabhupada got on that ship, no one took him seriously. They questioned, "What will you, an old man, do in America?""I will make the Americans chant Hare Krsna and dance in ecstasy.""Impossible! Even the Indians are not interested, so how will the Americans be?"And Prabhupada later said that what he had accomplished far exceeded his expectations. But as he wrote on Boston Pier, sakali sambhava hoy tumi se kautuki: "By Your mercy, Krsna, everything is possible." No one cared for him, but Prabhupada cared for everyone; otherwise, why would he attempt the impossible? He did not even care that

no one cared for him. He knew that Krsna cared for him, and he wanted everyone to care for Krsna.While crossing the ocean, Srila Prabhupada read Sri Caitanya-caritamrta and preached to the crew. Then came two heart attacks. But Krsna came in a dream and said, "Don't worry: I'm rowing your boat." Prabhupada also wrote poems, talking to Krsna. Then he landed and his American adventures began.O my dear spiritual master, I thank you so much for having taken the trouble to come to save us. How can we ever forget your kindness upon us?That tacky old ship at Boston Harbor Pier just "happened" to have an elderly swami on board. A little unusual perhaps. But it's not news to anyone except Gopal and Sally Agarwal, who extend the politeness of hosting him for a few weeks. Stepping ashore, an old, learned Bengali sadhu dressed in saffron-colored cloth humbly enters America -- "in like a needle." The world would never be the same again.Where were all of

us then? I was an eight-year-old kid with no idea about anything. Prabhupada's followers were scattered all over the world, with not even the slightest idea of the great fortune which would soon causelessly fill up their empty lives. And many who have now dedicated their lives to that humble sadhu were not yet born.- From the "Jaya Srila Prabhupada!" by HH Bhakti Vikasa SwamiCHANT HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE AND BE HAPPY Your humble servant radhabhava gaur das

Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Mail.