IndiaDivine.org

RE: The BG

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Reggie,

I know that you are attached to your vegan conceptions. If I understand it correctly, vegans believe that utilizing honey, milk, etc. you are exploiting animals. Therefore, they do not eat these products. First I would offer the KC answer and then I will use logic to address this difference between the Vaisnava Consception of vegetarian. Firstly, the KC movement in the west was created by AC Bhaktivedanta. Those of us who accept him as Syaktya-vesa Avatar. That means that Srila Prabhupada was not an ordinary Guru. Additionally, we are within a particular sampradaya, the Brahma-Madva Gaudiya Sampradaya. In this Sampradaya, we accept that Lord Chaitanya, whom is the Yuga Avatar and non-different than than Sri Krsna Himself appeared within this sampradaya. Therefore, in the Caintanya Bhagavata and the Chaitanya Charitamrta, there are descriptions of the Lord eating yogurt and of yogurt being offered to Sri Krsna. Therefore, in our sampradaya, milk and yogurt is accepted as offerable food stuffs for Srk Krsna. We eat only Krsna Prasadam. Srila Prabhupada also taught us in that way. As far as cheese is concerned, we were taught that as long as animal rennent was not used, it is offerable. Lord Krsna Himself was very found of yogurt. There are many pastimes of Krsna involving yogurt. It is accepted in our sampradaya.

Logic:First of all, all vegans eat grains. Grains are produced by the labor of humans. Is that exploitation? Why only the cows and bees are exploited when we use there byproducts?

Most food grow in the west is produced by tractors. The tractors are created by using human labor to produce Iron Ore Mines. Then there are hellish Steel Mills. Then there is a factory to produce the tractor. What to speak of mining the earth for oil to run the tractor. Exploitation in this world is described in the Srimad Bhagavatam- Jivo Jivasya Jivanam. One living entity is living at the expense of another. So there is no way to avoid exploitation. Therefore, the living entity surrenders to the Spiritual Master and He removes the sins of the past and gives the living entity the opportunity to surrender to Krsna and to leave this world. Prabhupada taught us to offer Krsna milk, yogurt and honey. He also taught us to eat prasadam, Krsna's remenants. I do not think that you will find a Vegan Guru as Krsna is known as Gopala- The cow herd boy. The cow is very dear to Krsna. Of course in Kuli Yuga everything is upside down. However, if you have ever been on a farm where the cow is treated like family, the milking process is rather loving. And the cow was created by Krsna to provide excess milk. Also, scientifically speaking, only milk contains all the essential amino acids. No other food, allow can claim that. Others have almost but not all. That is Krsna's design. I hope that you are not offended and can realize it is Krsna's design.

If you want to be a Vegan because you disagree with the modern agricultural exploitation of the cow, that is not "maya". But because you chose that path, do not look down on Vaisnavas that like to eat Krsna Prasadam that is in the form of milk sweets offered to the Diety.

Your friend,

Syamakunda Das

From: purplevegDate: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:03:52 +0000 The BG

"If anyone offers Me with devotion a leaf, flower, fruit or water I will accept it." BG Krsna doesn't talk about a hunk of cheese or glob of yoghurt. Various food products can be extended from the four items Krsna mentions. Flower could be broccoli or cauliflower. Fruit can be tomato, zucchini, pumpkin, squash or any fruit from a tree or vine. Fruit could also be juice of the fruit. Water can be flavoured water. Milk isn't mentioned. Nowhere that I have seen is there mentioned that one must offer or eat/drink milk. Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more….then map the best route! Find it!