IndiaDivine.org

October --- Domestic Awareness Month and Nav Ratri !!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namaskaar. It is quite Symbolic that Nav Ratri happened during Domestic Violence Awareness Month. In his message, Attorney General Eliot Spitzer revealed the following........... "Because domestic violence typically occurs in the "sanctity" of a home, many of us may not realise the extent of the problem. Domestic violence is a pattern of coercive behaviour which may include a combination of physical, sexual, economic, emotional and/or psychological abuse by an intimate or family member. It crosses all ethnic, racial, socioeconomic and sexual orientation lines. Approximately two million women are physically or sexually assaulted or stalked by their partner each year in the United States. About one- third of all female murder victims are killed by their current or former partners. Almost one-half of reported domestic violence assaults result in serious injury. While women account for only 39%

of hospital emergency room visits for violence-related injuries, women constitute 84% of the persons treated for injuries inflicted by intimate partners. Approximately, one in four college-age women will experience some form of relationship violence. Between 70 and 75 percent of the children of abused mothers are the victims of domestic abuse as well. And, as unsettling as these statistics are, they do not even take into account the millions of children who suffer the trauma of witnessing this abuse in their own homes." There were two Major Hindu Conferences during this Month of October and when one looked at their Agenda/Topics --none dealt with Domestic Abuse or any social problems--if I am wrong I would be very happy to apologise especially since it would mean that our leaders are not ignoring this problem!! Pandit Rajin Balgobin in his Yagna for Nav Ratri at the Milan Mandir and then at the Yagna at the Maha

Lakshmi Mandir in New York City, spoke at great length about the issue of Domestic Violence, Respect for Women, Protecting our Children, Alcohol Abuse among other social problems. He was rather forthright and it was very heartening to see this young Pujari fearlessly attacking topics that many Hindus ignore. No one boycotted his Yagna, no one sucked their teeth and walked out as he spoke, no one heckled him--he had packed audiences each night. Domestic Violence affects all and we cannot continue to hide our heads in the sand and pretend it does not exist or that by ignoring it, the problem will disappear. As we continue to refuse to address this situation, we are only driving away our own. Today, I was taking to this once very active Hindu and he said that now, he doesn't want much to

do with his religion. He is tired of the way our Hindu leaders behave and now he has had enough. Another Hindu lady told me that she stopped going to Mandir after someone who was supposed to be a highly respected Hindu leader lied to her--a lie that ended up destroying her future. She does not celebrate Deepavali nor Holi even. Another Hindu woman who was quite devoted to God, stopped praying because her husband abused her and with the same mouth that cursed/abused her at home, preached to the public. Another Hindu woman had some problems and went to her Pujari-- he made a pass at her --she left Hinduism. Another Hindu lady said that she didn't like Bhagwaan because her abusive husband was devoted to Him and treated her and her children badly. A teenager hates Hinduism because of his abusive Father. As I am writing

I can image the voices saying-----"aw, these are just a few cases, why should one be bothered?" or that " One should not make another person stop them from loosing faith in God !!" What we have to remember is that all these people were hurt by people who were supposed to love and protect them. These people who are supposed to give people faith and keep everyone in Hinduism, drive away them away instead. A few years ago, I helped someone who had lost his home in a fire, he was a Hindu turned Christian. When I went to help, I had no idea what religion he was and when I found out that he was not Hindu anymore, it didn't deter me from helping him. After he moved into his new home, he requested that the home be blessed according to Hindu rites. That he choose to do a Hindu ceremony, made me extremely happy and I personally arranged the ceremony and even made the prasad. An act of kindness, showing

compassion may not only stop Hindus from leaving but can bring back those who have left. Pandit Rajin Ji raised several thousand dollars during his Yagna that he will use to give out food hampers to needy families in Berbice for Deepavali. He said that he will not discriminate in whom get these hampers--they will be given to any needy families. This is another way that we can bring people to Hinduism---simply by kindness and compassion. Again, as we reflect on Nav Ratri that has just gone and Deepavali that will be celebrated next week, we should think about the reasons why we were given so many opportunities to honor The Supreme as Devi/Ma/Shakti ! Why did Bhagwaan/the ancient Munis saw that it was most important that we honor Her! We see in our Sacred Scriptures-- the Devi Purana for example; even in the appearance/Leela of The Lord in the Sri Krsna Avatara, He

needs His Shakti. What about us mere human? My prayer again is that every Mandir be also a place where any victim can be able to seek shelter. That there must be personnel and funds available to help victims. We need to have counselling sessions for both Victims and the abusers. Every Pujari/Acharya/Swami must make it their duty to get the necessary training to properly counsel their followers. Please let us make the issue of putting the Hindu Family First be our number one priority. Hari Om Shanti Regards, Nanda TAD VISNOH PARAMAM PADAM (Rg Veda 1.22.20)

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.