IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Faith versus Inquiry

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krsna

Whether Paramaatma (God) exists or not, this point is not one of belief, it is one of inquiry. Whether Paramaatma (God, Supreme Consciousness) is or not - this doubt exists both in an embodied soul (jeevaatma) and in the world. There is no doubt in "I am", but "what am I" in that, there is a doubt. In other words, quest (inquiry) for knowledge arises, when there is existence of doubt. The knowledge of the Self and of the World, comes from inquiry. You are entirely independent, in believing or disbelieving in Paramaatma (Supreme Consciousness) , because regarding Paramaatma (God), we know absolutely nothing, and that which we know nothing about, in that only faith is the driver. And that which we have faith in, there remains no doubt in it at all - such an extraordinary point this is ! Just like when we consider the wife, son etc. to be our very own, then there is no doubt remaining whether

this wife is my own or not? Son is mine or not ? These worldly beliefs do not last; because belief is in things that are perishable. But Paramaatmaa (Supreme Consciousness) is Imperishable (Eternal); therefore belief in Paramaatma lasts; and when this belief is firmed up, then Paramaatmaa is realized. We have heard from the saints, that when one believes in Bhagwaan (God), then the responsibility of him understanding his true Nature(Self) lies with Bhagwaan (God)! What an amazing point this is! How Bhagwaan (God) is, how Bhagwaan (God) is not? such knowledge does not have to be attained by him self. He simply accepts that "Bhagwaan (God) IS ! How is Bhagwaan and how He is not, such questions / doubts do not arise in him at all. At first if we simply accept the existence of Bhagwaan - Bhagwaan (God) IS, then we will have faith in Bhagwaan. Faith in worldly matters, does not last; because objects

and people etc. were not there in the beginning, and will not remain in the end, and at this moment are moving towards destruction (perishing). But on the subject of Bhagwaan, it does not happen so; because from the scriptures, the saints, and the believers, we have heard, that Bhagwaan (God) was there in the beginning, will remain later, and is there at present, as well. Once faith is established in Bhagwaan (God), then there is a sense of belonging, that Bhagwaan (God) is mine. This embodied soul is a part of Bhagwaan (God) - "Mamevaansho Jeevaloke" (Gita 15:7) i.e Bhagwaan is ours. Therefore those that have an inner feeling of the existence of Bhagwaan must accept that Bhagwaan (God) IS and He is mine. On having this firm belief, one cannot stay thereafter without meeting Bhagwaan (God). Just like when a child experiences sorrow, then he longs to be with his mother, and he wonders why

mother is not taking him in her lap? In the child's mind there is no thought whether he is deserving or not, whether he is the proper recepient of her love or not.

Just as one has faith in Bhagwaan (God), similarly there is also faith in the relationship with Bhagwaan (God) - "He is mine". In this type of faith, there is no talk of how is God, and how am I ? etc. Simply one must have a firm belief in that - "God is mine," therefore I will definitely attain Him. This feeling of "mine-ness" is greater than many other important spiritual practices. However many other spiritual practices there are, such as, Sacrifice, austerities, fasting, worship, forebearance, etc., the highest among them is this feeling of my very own with God. In this "mine-ness" there is never any ambiguity. Those who are going to do certain actions, will according to the action receive the appropriate fruit, but he who believes God to be His very own, will attain God entirely and completely for free. The doers will receive only as much fruit, as the action bares. But on having sense of

mine-ness with Bhagwaan (God), they will receive complete right and entitlement over Bhagwaan (God). Just like a child believes he has complete rights over his mother. He knows full well that the mother is mine, and he will be able to get whatever work he want done out of his mother. He knows he will take whatever he wants from her. What strength does the child really have? All he can do is cry - that is the extent of his strength. Even the weakest of the weakest man has only the strength of crying. How much effort is required in crying ? When child begins to cry, the mother has to listen to him. In the same manner, if we begin to cry saying - Bhagwaan is mine, then why will He not give His appearance (viewing, seeing)? When sadhak has intense quest and longs to know, why does Bhagwaan not show Himself to me ? When there is an intense longing within, when there is such a tormenting

desire that why is God not meeting me ! then in this intense longing, in this tormenting desire, there is so much strength that sins of infinite years can be wiped out. No faults will remain, and faultlessness will ensue. One who becomes restless for God, their faultlessness happens entirely and they attain the essential element (tattva). As long as there remains the feeling that "I am an seeker (inquirer)" - this sense of I-ness remains and it prevents one from attaining that essence (tattva). When this I-ness does not remain, then that essence is realized. Whether it is quest for knowledge or whether it be faith, if among the two, if only one point becomes firm, then that essense will be realized. Duties will be fulfilled on their own; even from inquiry, one's duties are fulfilled and through deep faith also duties are fulfilled. Both an inquirer and a man of faith will be able to fulfill

their obligations quickly. A man of faith will not fulfill his obligations from the perspective of duties; but instead he cries due to his separation from Bhagwaan (God). His duties are exhausted, simply by crying. There remains in him, an intense longing for God Realization. He only remembers God and only God. Besides God, nothing else is attractive - "Ab kuch bhi nahin suhaave, ek tu hi mana bhaave." During day there is no hunger, at night there is no sleep, time and time again there is that intense longing - "Din nahin bhookh, raine nahin nidraa, chin chin vyaakul hot hiyaa." In this longing there is immense strength. Engaging in worship and rememberance, doing austerities and sacrifices, visiting holy places and fasting etc, these are all good, but these get rid of sins gradually; But on having intense longing for God, it is like catching on fire, where all sins are burned away and turned

to ashes immediately.