IndiaDivine.org

SOME THOUGHTS ON BHAKTI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Krishna Bhaktas,Let me express my understanding of Devotion or Bhakti. The Sanskrit word Bhakti has come fromthe root" Bhaj" meaning "to worship or revere". It also signifies intense personal attachment to God. To my mind, Bhakti is,perhaps, the only thing that binds the people of India, notwithstanding several barriers such as languages, caste, religious beliefs and racial diversity. When we talk of Bhakti the first thing that comes to our mind is the name of a few Bhaktas who were accepted as such by God. To cite a few names, Mirabai, Kabirdas, Purandaradas, Tulsidas, Sant Tukaram, Chaitanya,Bhadrachala Ramdas, Saint Thagaraja, Andal etc. etc. The above list of names is ,by no standard exhaustive and omission of the name of any prominent Devotee is unintentional.

Sastras advise us to keep our mind constantly attached to the Lord, while we engage ourselves in our daily duties. Devotion is the state of mind in which one has no separate existence apart from God. The hallmark of devotion is to see God as the resident in all and responsible for all. Bhagavan Satya Sai Baba says," Develop devotion and you are free, for God

takaes on the burden for you. Lord Krishna assures in the Bhagawad Geeta,"Whoever are devoted solely to Me,and engages themselves in contemplation and worship of Me,to such ever steadfast devotees, I ensure the procurement of all their wants(Liberation)and the preservation of their assets(worldly interests).(Ananyas chintayanto maam ye janaah paryupaasate teshaam nityaabiyuktaanaam yogakshemam vahaamyaham).

In the Twelfth chapter of the Geeta the Lord has given a list of attributes or qualifications for a true Devotee. The lord advises us through Arjuna at various places in the Geeta about Ananya Bhakti. To quote one sloka,"Let your mind be absorbed in Me. Be devotedto Me,sacrifice unto Me, and bow down to Me. By doing so, having Me as your highest goal, and united with Me in mind, you shall come to Me".

G.Balasubramanian