IndiaDivine.org

Miracles in Guruvayoor Temple

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna ! Pranams to Bhagavan Sri Krishna and Bhaktas,

Today is Guruvayoor Ekadasi . This the day of Guruvayoor temple's Prana-prathista ( consecration) . It is also the Gita-day ( The day Bhagavan Krishna advised Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna) . Guruvayoor temple is famous as *Bhooloka Vaikuntam* ( The Vaikuntam on earth) . There are several historical evidences on the legends associated with Sree Guruvayoorappan . A few of them are given below :

Sri Sankaracharya was taught that Bhakti is superior to Sidhi

Once the great Jagadgura Sri Sankaracharya was on his aerial journey from Kaladi to Shringeri. He reached above Guruvayur temple. Siveli procession was progressing in the temple . Sankaracharya smiled at the pompness and vividity of the procession in the temple and tried to pass the temple without making any obeisance to Bhagavan.

When snubbed like this by Sri Sankara, Bhagavan decided to teach him that Bhakti is superior to Sidhi . Suddenly Sankara came crashing down and the Siveli procession stopped there at the northwest corner. He soon recovered and saw Bhagavan Sri Krishna in all his divinity. Realizing the cause of his fall, Sankaracharya prostrated before Bhagavan and tried to win Bhagavan's favour by singing Bhajahovindam and Govinda Ashtakam. (The small opening in the roof over the North- West courtyard is in commemoration of this event). Sankaracharya stayed for (41) days at the temple . And he instituted the ritual of *Mandala Vilakku* (lighting of lamps for 41days) .

Nemeni Unni , the Little Priest's Pooja

Once a Nenmini Namboodiri was the priest at Guruvayur temple. There was only one priest on those days and had to go out on an urgent and unavoidable situation. He told his 12 year old son to offer the Nivedyam to Bhagavan and left. At the prescribed time he offered Nivedyam (cooked rice) to Bhagavan and thought in simplicity that Bhagavan will eat the rice, but the Moorthy did not move. Unni went outside and brought some salted mangoes and curd from his house in the belief that Bhagavan likes food this way. He mixed the curd with rice and offered it again. But the Moorthy again remained unmoved. Unni cajoled , requested, coaxed and in the end threatened , but the Moorthy still unmoved . He started crying on his failure and lamented to Bhagavan that his father would beat him. Bhagavan could not bear it any more. He appeared as Child Krishna , ate the Nivedyam with great satisfaction and then disappeared. The little preist left the place satisfactorily. The Nivedyam offered to the Deity was the temple attendant Variyar's prerequisite. On seeing the empty plate, he became very angry with the Unni, but Unni still could not understand and told Variyar that Bhagavan ate up the rice with the curd and salted mangoes. The Unni's innocent word made Variyar more furious. On Senor Priest's arrival, Variyar told the complaint that Unni himself had eaten the Nivedyam, and that he was making a false story. Though Unni told his version, father could not believe it. He raised his hands to beat him, but just then an asareeri (celestial voice) was heard from the Sanctum Sanctorum saying, "I have eaten the Nivedyam. I just fulfilled the prayer of Unni who is my Bhakta . Unni is innocent".

Variyar prostrated at the feet of Unni and apologized to him . It was after this incident that the ritual of offering curd rice and pickle to Guruvayoorappan started .

MANJULA , the Bhakta

Manjula was a virtuous and devout Variyar caste girl. Every night she used to bring garlands for Guruvayoorappan. One day she was late and the temple got closed. She could reach only up to the banyan tree (from where elephant race starts during Utsavam, and started feeling guilty. Sri Poonthanam Namoothiri on his way back from the temple saw her crying near the banyan tree. He comforted her and said that she could place the garland on the stone at the foot of the banyan tree, since Bhagavan is everywhere.

She was convinced, kept the garland there and happily went home. Next day morning, the Melsanthi removed all the garlands from the Deity, but one garland remained stuck on the Deity. The devotees were puzzled but Poonthanam realised last night's event. It was the garland, which Manjula had placed on the stone at the foot of the banyan tree.

Poonthanam told the story to everyone and then the garland slipped down from the Deity. Devotees started chanting the name of Bhagavan and struggled to collect the flower from the garland. Worshipers went to the banyan tree to make their obeisance. Since then, the banyan tree came to be known as Manjulal.

Poonthanam's Bhakti and Vibhakti

The *Jnanapana* (means the song of wisdom) written in simple Malayalam is Poonthanam's greatest work. Melpathur Bhattathiri was the topmost Sanskrit scholar of that time. Poonthanam showed the draft of his Jnanapana to Melpathur. Malayalam was not accepted in the learned circle those days and Melpathur had contempt for the local language Malayalam, which was not considered equal to Sanskrit. He refused to see Poonthanam's work and told him blatantly to learn Sanskrit and then start writing. This act of Melpathur hurt Poonthanam. Melpathur was composing Narayaneeyam in those days and when he came next day to offer dasaka of ten slokas (ten stanzas) before Bhagavan, he could not utter a single word. A small boy in his teens, never seen before presented himself and pointed out mistakes after mistakes in the slokas composed by Melpathur. After ten mistakes in ten slokas Melpathur realised the divinity of the boy. He felt at the feet of the boy but the boy disappeared and there was an Asareeri (celestial voice) saying, "Poonthanam's Bhakthi (devotion) is more pleasing to me than Melpathur's Vibhakthi (learning or knowledge in Sanskrit grammar)". Melpathur realised his mistake and asked Poonthanam to pardon him and amended his arrogance by reading the works of Poonthanam .

Maraprabhu and Amaraprabhu

One day, Poonthanam was reciting Bhagavatam in the Guruvayoor temple . He mis-spelled "Padmanabho Maraprabhu",which means Lord of trees in Malayalam. A Brahmin scholar listening this openly laughed at Poonthanam and corrected saying, "Padmanabha is not Maraprabhu (Lord of trees) but Amaraprabhu (which means Lord of immortals in Sanskrit)". Immediately, there was an asareeri (celestial voice) from the inner shrine, "I am also Maraprabhu" (Lord of trees).

Now there is a statue of "Maraprabhu" in the Sreevalsam Guest house compound fully made of clay. This is the biggest image made of clay in Asia.

Vilwamangalam Swamy's Visions

Sri Vilwamanagalam Swamy's devotion and dedication towards Guruvayoorappan was such that he could have visions of Bhagavan independent of the image. Wherever he went, he had visions. In Guruvayur it was Unnikrishna. Whenever he came to Guruvayur for darshan, Bhagavan granted him vision from the Sanctum-Sanctorum (central shrine). One day he did not get Bhagavan's vision from there. He went around the temple in search of Bhagavan. The sound of tinkling of bells from the northern chuttambalam attracted his curiosity. He peeped in and saw Unnikrishna dancing there. From that day onwards this place came to be known as Nritham ( Nrithappura or dancing hall).

On another occasion also, he could not see Bhagavan's vision in the central shrine. Later he found Bhagavan sitting amidst the Marar boys (drummer's boys) and sharing feast with them, as Guruvayoorappan was fond of the feast given to the Marar boys. It later became an important offering with the devotees.

A third time also, he failed to have Guruvayoorappan's vision in the central shrine. It was night time and the Krishnanattam was being staged in the courtyard. The saint ultimately found him on the stage with the 'gopikas'. Since then, Krishnanattam came to be staged in the northern bahyankana (outer courtyard) instead of the eastern bahyankana. And it begins only when the central shrine is closed after the last pooja at night.

Variar's Buffalo.

Swami Vilwamangalam ( Bilwamangalam Takura) was a renowned Vaishnava Spiritual Master . He had an illiterate personal servant called Variar.

One day when the Swami was worshipping Bhagavan Guruvayoorappan (Sri Krishna), Warrior curiously asked his master Vilwamangalam :

" Oh my Lord ! In which form you worship Guruvayoorappan ? " .

The great Vilwamangalam did not like this "stupid" question even a bit . Having been annoyed very much , he replied sarcastically :

" In the form of a Buffalo ! " .

Varrior being a very innocent man , believed that his master's words are true . He was convinced that , Bhagavan Krishna's real form is that of a "Buffalo" . Thereafter, Varrior started worshipping Sri Krishna as a Buffalo .

After a few months , one day Guruavaoor temple's " Siveli " procession was in progress. As usual, Vilwangalam Swami was in attendance accompanied by Varrior .

The temple's Brahmana Pujari was carrying the Deity to outside . However, he could not manage to come out of the main door . He tried again and again but all efforts failed . Many people were watching this in utter bewilderment . When many cycles of repeated efforts failed , everyone started worrying . Finally , they sought the help of the great Swami Vilawamangalam who was fortunately available on the spot .

The renowned Spiritual Master thought a lot but failed to get any clue . When even Vilwamangalam stood helpless , the confusion of people reached frantic levels .

Varrior was watching all this drama hoping that his master will solve the problem easily . But, when Vilwamagalam also failed , Varrior decided to intervene . He suggested aloud :

" Oh Pujari ! Why don't you tilt Bhagavan's head to left of right ? "

Listening to this suggestion , the Pujari tilted the Deity a little and by doing so easily passed the door . Everyone was pleased , except Vilwamangalam .

Without understanding all this , the Swami started scolding Varrior for the "unwanted intervention " .

Varrior replied politely :

" My Lord ! Who doesn't know that the Buffalo can pass the door only after tilting his head a little ?!!! " .

The great Saint Vilwamangalam was astonished to hear this . He meditated deeply on Bhagavan Sri Krishna and then looked at the Deity ???????????????????

……….And had the glorious vision of a divine "Buffalo" holding Sankha,Chakra, Gada and Padmam in HIS four hands !!!!!

Kurooramma

Kurooramma was a pious Brahmin lady . She became a widow at the tender age of (16). Being childless , she was destined to live in solitude . But Kurooramma faced the life, by taking refuge in `Ishta Devata' Sri Krishna .

After becoming widow , Kurooramma's routine included an early morning Bath followed by works in the kitchen , worship in Guruvayoor temple on every monday , Ekadasi fasting and …. Constant Nama-japam . In fact , the nama-japam became just like breathing ; and it elevated her to the highest level of bhakti-yoga .

Years passed . Kurooramma became aged . All her relatives died one after the other and she was alone . Kurooramma became aware that she has none except Krishna . She prayed for Him ardently . One day , Bhagavan appeared and asked what boon she wanted . Kurooramma prayed with folded hands :

" O Krishna ! I don't have anyone . You be with me always . Don't abandon me like Yashoda " .

Bhagavan smiled , nodded His head and disappeared .

Soon, an orphan Brahmin kid called "Unni" came to Kurooramma . He was a very mischievous child and he helped her in the household works .

"Unni" was Sri Krishna Himself . But due to His Yoga-maya , Kurooramma could see Him only as her child . Since Unni's arrival , she lived in great joy , loving and chastising him as own child .

Vilwangalam swami (Bilwamangalam Takura) was the renowned Vaishnava Acharya of that period . He was famous for performing Puja by seeing Sri Krishna in front .

It was Kurooramma's great wish to have one such Puja performed at her home by Vilwangalam Swami . She requested the Acharya with great humility and he agreed .

Unfortunately , Kurooramma had an envious neighbor called `Chemmangatt Amma' who was immensely rich and influential . When heard about this Puja , Chemmangatt Amma took it as an opportunity to humiliate Kurooramma . She used her influence to cancel Vilwangalam's commitment to Kurooramma and booked that Puja for herself . Poor Kurooramma was unaware of this sabotage .

On the dawn of the Puja, Kurooramma was washing her cloths in the nearby tank . A few drops of water unintentionally fell upon , Chemmangatt Amma who had finished her bath. She felt polluted and took a second plunge in water to purify. She sarcastically told Kurooramma :

" Hey Widow , now I am doubly clean . Today , Villwamangalam is coming to my house for doing Puja " .

Kurooramma was shocked to hear this and she said :

" But, Vilwamangalam Swamy has already promised to perform Puja at my home today " .

Chemmangatt Amma and her arrogant servants laughed at Kurooramma and made fun of her . Kurooramma was greatly hurt by this public humiliation . Soon after reaching home , she sent a person to Vilwamangalam's home to confirm Swami's Puja . But Vilwamangalam apologetically refused saying he couldn't upset the powerful Chemmangatt family .

Kurooramma was heartbroken when she heard about this refusal . But , Unni pacified her by assuring that Vilwamangalam will come for Puja as agreed before .

Kurooramma believed Unni . But she lamented :

" O Unni ! Because of that confusion , I didn't make any arrangements for the puja . I don't know what needs to be done . You see, Vilwamangalam Swamy is a Mahatma and therefore we shouldn't upset Him . O Bhagavan, I really messed up everything and I don't know what to do now !! ".

Unni consoled her by saying :

"Mother , don't worry at all . I will do all the needful now itself . You , just take rest . "

He quickly completed all jobs such as cleaning the floor, washing the Puja-instruments and utensils, bringing flowers and other Puja-materials , preparation of food offerings for the puja, etc, etc .

After his daily worship, Villwamangalam started for Chemmangatt Amma's house for the Puja . But the pilot who was to lead his way by blowing conch (shankh) to announce his presence could not produce any sound from his conch . It was a bad omen and Villwamangalam was bewildered . Then he remembered his failure to keep up the promise to Kurooramma . And he decided that it is Bhagavan's wish that he should go to Kurooramma's house to do Puja there . On this thought itself, the conch started functioning and filled the air with its resonant sound . The Acharya then started his journey towards Kurooramma's house .

Vilwanagalam and His Sisyas (Brahmachari-disciples) finally arrived at Kurooramma's home . According to tradition , a Brahmin lady should not talk direct to any man other than her husband . Hence, hiding behind the door , Kurooramma asked Unni to welcome Vilwamanagalam Swami .

When Unni welcomed , Vilwamangalam looked at him ; but due to `Maya" he couldn't recognize Bhagavan .

After taking bath , Vilwamangalam got ready for the Puja .

Meanwhile , his Sisyas were standing amazed . They are the ones who prepare items for the Puja because none else knows it's requirements . But, alas ! this midget Kid has arranged everything perfectly . They stared at Unni enviously . And he gladly teased them by winking .

Vilwamangalam was pleased by the perfect arrangements in place . While touching the Puja-materials, a divine bliss filled his heart .

The Puja commenced . At first, the seat was sanctified for seating Bhagavan . Then the invoking of Sri Krishna . Swami closed his eyes and meditated Bhagavan . While Vilwamangalam was invoking Krishna with great concentration, Unni stood straight in front . Seeing this , the shocked Sisyas were facing a dilemma and they whispered each other :

" This fool is standing in front of Acharya . How can we inform this to Him ? . See… the flowers offered are falling on his feet !…..'

They tried to push out Unni . But , He stood His ground firm and the offered flowers kept on falling at His feet . Vilwanangalam Swami opened his eyes to see Sri Krishna on the offered seat , as usual . But here couldn't see Bhagavan and only Unni was standing in front . Vilwamangalam was annoyed . As ordered by him, Unni was moved from there to a corner . And then the invoking re-commenced .

Again the offered flowers kept on falling at the feet of Unni , though he was standing in the corner . Immediately , Vilwamangalam Swami realized that this helper of Kurooramma is Bhagavan Himself . He looked at Unni again …. and there He was !

` Bhagavan Sri Krishna in all His Suprmeme Glory '!!!!!

Vilwamangalam tried to rush forward to prostrate . But Bhagavan stopped him with a gesture which meant :

" Keep this as secret . Let Me continue as Kurooramma's Unni ".

The Puja ended auspiciously and Vilwamangalam departed with his Sisyas . Kurooramma was extremely happy . However, she made a comment to Unni :

" Hey Unni ! I wonder why Vilwamangalam Swamy repeatedly bowed down to both of us and cried while leaving " .

Unni's only response was his mind-captivating smile which filled `Sat-Chit-Anandam ' in Kurooramma's heart .

Restoration of Voice to Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar

Sri Vaidyanatha Bagavathar called Chembai, was one of the greatest Carnatic musicians in recent times. Here is an account by himself of his regaining his voice due to the Lord's grace.

"On January 7, 1952, I was giving a concert at holy Suchindram. An hour had elapsed and I was at the peak of my performance. All of a sudden, my vocal chords got stuck up, as it were, and my voiced totally failed me. The concert broke up in confusion. Many rushed up to the dais to render help. Doctors tried their best with pills and potions but to no avail."

"I went through life without any hope and no ray of hope seemed to come anywhere. In this state of desperation, in 1954, on the great Ekadasi Day in Guruvayoor, I stood before Bhagavan and wrung out my heart to Him. I could not give vocal utterance to my anguish. Memories of the glorious days when I had sung His praises surged forward.""O Bhagavan, I cried out, will Thou not let me sing Thy praises? Will Thou let my heart break, for without this outward expression of my heart's agony, I can hardly live? Hadn't Thou in the past not given the gift of speech to the great Muka Kavi? Had he not sung Thy praises in enchanting Sanskrit verses known so well as the Muka Panchasati Stotras?"

"In my agony and mute supplication to Bhagavan, I had not noticed a Namppothiri standing at a distance of some fifty feet from me. He divined my trouble and came to me. He had evidently heard my inarticulate prayer. He promised to rid me of my trouble, Guruvayoorappan willing."

"Bhagavan had sent his minister to help me and I regained my voice. In keeping with my promise I have since then been singing the praises of Bhagavan. Every year, I have the 'Udayastamana' puja performed at the temple fo Guruvayoor and the sum of Rs. 5,000 need for it comes from the concerts that Guruvayoorappan himself arranged".

Despite the infirmities of old age from which he suffered Sri Chembai was indeed blessed-for he gave recitals till the day he breathed his last-Oct. 16, 1974.

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya !!!

SriKrishnaDasa Rajeev