IndiaDivine.org

Geeta 12.1,12.2 -- (Part I )

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hari Om.

This week I will start posting slokas from the Geeta/Chapter 12; hope many of you will find the time to read and think over these verses. Remember, this is a forum for Guruvayurappan devotees by His devotees and it is each one's responsibility to contribute/share/comment and respect & appreciate all members' efforts. May Guruvayurappan bless us all with ayur-arogya-soukhyam.

*******************************************************************************************************

In the Geeta, from Chapters 2 through 6, the Lord has described the Nirguna roopa of the Universal Power--

"Acchedyo-yam, adhaayoyam-akleyoyam-ashoshya eva cha, nitya-sarvagata-sthaanur-chaloyam-sanaatanah"-- G2.24--

'The Supreme spirit is indestructible, incombustible, insolube, and cannot be eroded. The soul is eternal, all-pervading, unmoving, unmodifiable, primordial and ever-lasting'

From chapters 7 through 11, God talks about His saguna rupa --

"Pitaa-mahasya jagato maata dhaata pitaamaha,

Vedyo-pavitram-omkaar- riksaam yajurev-cha; G 9.17

Gatirbharta-prabhu-saakshi nivaas sharanam suhurta,

prabhava pralaya sthaanam nidhaanam beejam-avyayam" G 9.18.

I am the bearer of the world, nourisher, father, mother, grandfather, I am the Vedas (Rig, Saam, Yajurved) and the supreme sacred Om. I am also the goal, the sustainer, the master, the witness, abode, refuge, friend, the creation, dissolution, the preserver, the reservoir, and the imperishable cause".

In Chapter 11, Lord Krishna reveals His Vishwa roopa. Arjuna has been blessed with the sight of the Universal Power and now there is nothing more for him to seek from the Lord. Here, however, Arjuna wishes to know which of the two forms of God are practically more useful to the seeker? whether God as the Absolute, formless and nameless, beyond the perceptions of the senses OR God in His manifest form? This leads to the beginning of Chapter 12 in the Bhagawadgita wherein Arjuna asks God the following:

----------

Arjuna uvaacha--

"Evam sata-ta-yukta ye Bhaktaas-tvaam paryu-paasate,

Ye chaapya-aksharam-avyaktam teshaam ke yoga-vittamaha" (G 12.1)

'Some bhaktas worship God in the abstract, the unmanifest, whereas others worship the concrete form; who among them is more versed in the Yoga? who amongst these can be considered greater? in other words which of these paths is superior-- worshipping the nirguna aspect or the saguna form?

Bhagawan replies

"Mayyaa-veshya mano ye maam nitya-yuktaa upaasate,

Shraddhayaa paryo-petaas-te-me yukta-tamaa mataaha" (G 12.2)

'Those who worship me exclusively with utmost, steadfast faith and think consistently of Me, them, I consider to be superior to all'.

To be continued.............................................

------------------

In Chp 12 on Bhaktiyoga, God has laid down the different steps by which ordinary men can worship Him. It is one of the shortest chapters in the Geeta (only 20 verses) and is wonderful because God is Himself showing devotees the way to reach Him. If one is an ardent believer in the usefulness of naama-japam or rituals or simply doing good work, how should one go about it? These aspects are covered in this chapter.

One thing I would like to suggest here is that if you are going to respond with a comment or question or suggestion to this posting, please make sure that your subject heading reads "Geeta 12.1, 12.2 part I" comment/question etc...I will be posting Part II in a day or two and then next Thursday the next 2/3 verses and so on. This way readers can keep track of all the mails pertaining to specific verses. Thanks a lot and God bless.

Om Namo Narayanaya.

Discover Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM more. Check it out!