IndiaDivine.org

[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Bhakti and Jnana

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Jayashree,

A fantastic composition abt what Bhakti can do.I think some years ago a film in Telugu came titled War of Rama and Hanuman.It was dubbed in other languages like Tamil and Kannada.Hanuman a devotee par excellence of Sri Rama just be reciting Rama always got that much power from the Rama mantra which is also called Taraka Mantra.That is why it is recommended that Rama mantra can ward of all evils and make one virtuous as by reciting we give form to the formless God a picture of Rama and enshrine Him in our Mind.A lovely piece well portrayed.

Hare Krishnajayashree_662001 <jayashree_66 wrote:

This article brought to my mind the following story of Rama Bhakta,Hanuman.One day, Rama was holding court and discussing the state of the kingdom with his ministers, when the arrival of Vishwamitra was announced. Rama paid his obeisance to the sage and took him to a seat. As soon as he sat down, the sage said, "Rama, the king ofKasi, Yayati is arrogant. He has insulted me. You must kill him. You may take this as my command!"Rama was aware that Yayati was a righteous king and he would not be unfair or unjust to anyone. But, the orders have come from none else than his Guru. He could not possibly refuse to obey his revered teacher. At the same time, he would lose an ally in Yayati, a king who did everything for the welfare of his people. How could he go and kill such a person? Rama was in a

dilemma.Vishwamitra was angry with Yayati because the king has failed to pay his due respect. It so happened that his subjects had gone to the king to complain about a herd of elephants that was destroying the crops and terrifying both the cattle and the villagers. As a king, it was his duty to ensure the welfare of his subjects, so Yayati decided to hunt down the elephants. He was driving them away into the forest when Vishwamitra came that way. Yayati did not notice the presence of the sage, who took it as an insult. Hence his command to Rama to take revenge on Yayati.The king came to know that Rama was getting ready for a war with him. He was shocked. Queen Yashodhara and their children, Prince Chandrangad and Princess Chandramukhi were all devotees of Rama; they could not believe their ears when they heard the threat of a war from Rama himself.Yayati wondered what crime he had committed to provoke Rama's

anger. "Rama does not forsake anyone if he were to seek refuge in him" said Yayati. "I shall go and fall at his feet and askhim to pardon me!" He was getting ready for his journey to Ayodhya, withhis family when sage Narada reached there. Yayati told him what had happened."Are you out of your senses, O King?" remarked Narada."Don't you know that Rama will keep a promise once he gives it? If you go to him now, he'll surely kill you, as he is angry with you. So, it wouldbe better if you approach Anjana Devi and appeal to her. Her son, Hanuman, is with her now. So, go to them straight away."Yayati thought that the sage had given him the right advice. So, he started for the ashram of Anjana Devi, where he found her in deep meditation. "Devi!" he wailed before her. "I have soughtrefuge here, please save me!"The king's wailing disturbed Anjana Devi. She suddenly woke upfrom her meditation

and stood up. When she saw Yayati in front of her, she comforted him, "Son, don't be afraid, I assure you, that, onthe strength and power of my son, that no harm will come to you!"Hanuman reached there in search of his mother. Yayati bowed before him. "I'm Yayati, the king of Kasi. I'm a devotee ofRama. You alone will be able to save me from danger I'm facing now. I entirelydepend on you.""Don't worry on any count!" Hanuman assured the king."My mother has already given her promise. I'm her son, and its my duty to carryout her promise. Don't have any doubt. I shall save you fromwhatever danger you're facing.""Now that Hanuman has also given his assurance," said Anjana Devi, "please tell us what kind of danger is threatening you.""How can I describe it!" said Yayati with a sigh. "Rama,whom I worship, wants to kill me! I've no idea what crime I'vecommitted to earn his

displeasure and wrath. I haven't done anythingdeliberate.""Is it true that Rama himself wants to kill you?" said AnjanaDevi unbelievingly. "I wonder whether I've been too hasty ingiving you a promise. How can my son fight Rama on your behalf? What shall I do now?" She wrung her hands in despair.Hanuman saw his mother facing a dilemma. "Mother! You should notgo back on your word. It's our duty to protect whoever seeks ourrefuge. I shall not allow any harm come to king Yayati. We must face whoever happens to be his enemy."Soon word spread that Hanuman would fight on behalf of Yayati. The news reached Ayodhya as well, and both Rama and Sita heard it. She fell into a long silence. Yayati's wife Yashodhara, along withher two children, came to meet Sita. "Devi, please save my husband. Please ensure that I am not widowed.""Yashodhara! Please do not worry." Sita consoled her."Its certain

that Hanuman will protect your husband. He is right now with Hanuman and so he is safe, till he comes back, you may stay in Ayodhya with your children." She then made arrangements for their stay in the palace.In the meantime, Rama went in search of Yayati, taking his bows and arrows with him. His three brothers, ministers and an army accompanied him. Hanuman accosted them. He fell at the feet of Rama, "My lord! Please be kind to Yayati. Don't kill him. Heis innocent. Let him go free."But Rama was not willing to forgive Yayati. "I must kill him.That's a promise I gave to my guru, and I must carry out that promise."He then pushed Hanuman with his foot to make way for himself.Hanuman got up and stood before Rama with folded hands. "Ah!I've now been blessed by the touch of your feet. Just as Ahalya Devi got redemption when you kicked the stone she was cursed into. I'mblessed by new strength

and vigour!""Stop flattering me, Hanuman!" Rama pulled him up."You'd better turn over Yayati to me! My guru has commanded me to kill him."" I can understand your devotion and loyalty to your guru,"said Hanuman. "But your guru's orders are unfair. Yayati isinnocent. And my mother has given him a promise that she'll protect him.I'm duty bound to keep that promise. So, if you wish to kill Yayati, then you must first kill me! As long as I am left with a breath of life, I shall not allow Yayati to be killed." He then enlarged his figureand stood before Rama like a mountain."Are you terrifying me with your prowess?" asked Rama."No, my lord!" replied Hanuman calmly. "Its all yourblessing!"Rama sent a shower of arrows at Hanuman. He warded them off with his tail. Rama sent more arrows at him. Hanuman evaded all of them, Hanuman did not have to offer any fight, and the encounter lasted a

long time. Just then Vishwamitra came there. Before Rama could see him, Hanuman had noticed the sage. "My lord! Your guru hasarrived.""I'm not bothered!" Rama countered. "Beware! I'mgoing to use the Rama-ban arrow.""Rama! Hold on!" shouted Vishwamitra. "Stop your fight!It was all due to my false pride. Yayati is innocent. You let him go free!""That's impossible, O guru!" said Rama. "I'vealready strung the arrow. Now, I must use it. I must carry out your orders. Pleasedon't put obstacles!" He saw Yayati taking cover behind Hanuman."Hanuman! This arrow will pierce your heart! Before that, you would be well advised to hand over Yayati." "The name of Rama is always on my lips!" said Hanuman,coolly. "So, I'm not afraid of anything or anyone. It's my duty to protectwhoever comes to me seeking refuge. So, I've decided to protect and save Yayati by

even sacrificing my life. If you're keen on sending the arrow, I shall not prevent you from doing so."He then bared his chest, ready to receive the arrow. The arrow pierced his chest and went deep inside and disappeared. But nothing happened to Hanuman.Everybody was able to see the brilliant image of Rama onHanuman's chest. They were all wonderstruck. Rama let go his bow from his hand. "Hanuman! You've won the fight. You've overcome mewith your devotion.""My lord! This fight had no winner, nor any loser," said Hanuman. "Your arrow had pierced my chest, but it has notremained there. It has gone back to you. That is your greatness. I don'ttake any credit for that.""In protecting those who seek refuge," remarked Vishwamitra,you and Rama are equal. You both will not disappoint them. You, Hanuman, have proved your ability and shown your strength. It's not an easything to fight Rama.

You've proved that you're not mere Hanuman butVeer Hanuman! Your name and fame will remain till the world exists."The sage then blessed Hanuman and expressed his repentance that he was the cause of a misunderstanding between Rama and Hanuman.Hanuman took leave of Rama and all others and returned to Gandhamadana for his tapas.Om Namo Narayanaya:

India Matrimony: Find your life partner

online.