IndiaDivine.org

[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Guru ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Anant

I am not sure if I am answering out of turn, because there seem to be many knowledgable members in the group. Yet, let me attempt it from a personal learning perspective.

First of all, your question needs to be broken down to a more granular level, as follows:

Irrespective of whatever, we need a Guru in our life to lead us towards spiritual fulfillment.

The qualities of such a Guru are one, who leads by practice, what he preaches. In essence, every action and breath of such a Guru inspires the divine; the Parabrahmam or the omnipresent; the Godliness that is resident is every single living object including you and me.

Nama Japam is one of the recommended steps on the spiritual journey. It is a good foundation for one to enter the expanse of the universe of spirituality with a beacon of light.

The only qualification for practicing Nama Japam is "Love". For example, when you call someone close to you with love and affection, they reciprocate. Such a call is pleasing to your as well as receivers ear. But if your voice is harsh and rude, the receiver is turned off. The best of your intentions cannot substitute the for appropriate action. As the cliched saying goes, the message and messenger are equally important.

Finding a Guru who will lead you to spiritual upliftment is a real blessing. The really blessed are the divine, born with a quotient of Good Will from the previous birth; whom a Guru comes searching. The classic example is that of Shri. Rama whom Vishwamitra comes seeking or Prahlada whom Narada comes seeking. Most of us have to probably spend several eons accumulating such Good Will, before we can be benefacted by the right Guru.

The emphasis on the right Guru is laid because as a disciple, ones duty to the Guru and his / her teachings must be unquestionable and followed without hesitation and doubt. Such a relationship (which is truthful to conscience and not a show to the external world) can exist only when the Guru has realized the presence of the Brahman in him and is ready to lead others unselfishly towards the light of Mukti from the World (The one recognized by our Ego as the universe).

As I said earlier, I am but a humble student and have only narrated whatever I've realized from my experience. I am still in search of a Guru and am conscious that I need to accumulate my share of the Good Will.

I pray that Guruvayoorappan will lead you the right one.

anant subramaniam <anant_subramaniam wrote:

Dearest Group Members,

I have read with interest the wonderful emails sent by various group members on japam and bhakti. However, I am confused as to whether it is necessary to be initiated by a Guru to practise Nama Japam ? Or can one do it on his/her own without guidance? If a Guru is required, what are the qualities of a Guru? Where do I find one?

I would be grateful if any group member could clear my doubts.

Secondly, I wish to send contributions to the Guruvayur temple regularly . What is the way to do it ? Can you please provide me with the address of the person/institution where one can send contributions regularly.

Sorry, if my query sounds silly. Please forgive.

Humbly,

Anant

Too much spam in your inbox? Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!http://in.mail. Om Namo Narayanaya: Best regards,Subbu Iyer

Sell on Auctions - No fees. Bid on great items.

Guest guest

Dear Sri Subbu,

Thank you for your email. I have understood from you that "love" is the only prerequisite for Nama Japam. I have a question. As we continue to do nama japam, should we wait for the Guru to approach us? Assuming I have done nothing good in my previous birth and that I am starting my bhakti account from today , I stand no chance of gaining the shelter of a Guru. That is very depressing.

Please forgive me for being so desperate, but should we wait for destiny to permit a situation where the Guru will approach us. The danger of we ourselves rushing to a person popular in this world as a Guru is that we could be waylaid and end up in more trouble. What is the way?

I pray to our beloved Sri Guruvayurappan to bless you and all our group members.

Humbly,

Anant

Subbu Iyer <iyers_96027 wrote:

Dear Anant

I am not sure if I am answering out of turn, because there seem to be many knowledgable members in the group. Yet, let me attempt it from a personal learning perspective.

First of all, your question needs to be broken down to a more granular level, as follows:

Irrespective of whatever, we need a Guru in our life to lead us towards spiritual fulfillment.

The qualities of such a Guru are one, who leads by practice, what he preaches. In essence, every action and breath of such a Guru inspires the divine; the Parabrahmam or the omnipresent; the Godliness that is resident is every single living object including you and me.

Nama Japam is one of the recommended steps on the spiritual journey. It is a good foundation for one to enter the expanse of the universe of spirituality with a beacon of light.

The only qualification for practicing Nama Japam is "Love". For example, when you call someone close to you with love and affection, they reciprocate. Such a call is pleasing to your as well as receivers ear. But if your voice is harsh and rude, the receiver is turned off. The best of your intentions cannot substitute the for appropriate action. As the cliched saying goes, the message and messenger are equally important.

Finding a Guru who will lead you to spiritual upliftment is a real blessing. The really blessed are the divine, born with a quotient of Good Will from the previous birth; whom a Guru comes searching. The classic example is that of Shri. Rama whom Vishwamitra comes seeking or Prahlada whom Narada comes seeking. Most of us have to probably spend several eons accumulating such Good Will, before we can be benefacted by the right Guru.

The emphasis on the right Guru is laid because as a disciple, ones duty to the Guru and his / her teachings must be unquestionable and followed without hesitation and doubt. Such a relationship (which is truthful to conscience and not a show to the external world) can exist only when the Guru has realized the presence of the Brahman in him and is ready to lead others unselfishly towards the light of Mukti from the World (The one recognized by our Ego as the universe).

As I said earlier, I am but a humble student and have only narrated whatever I've realized from my experience. I am still in search of a Guru and am conscious that I need to accumulate my share of the Good Will.

Dearest Group Members,

I have read with interest the wonderful emails sent by various group members on japam and bhakti. However, I am confused as to whether it is necessary to be initiated by a Guru to practise Nama Japam ? Or can one do it on his/her own without guidance? If a Guru is required, what are the qualities of a Guru? Where do I find one?

Secondly, I wish to send contributions to the Guruvayur temple regularly . What is the way to do it ? Can you please provide me with the address of the person/institution where one can send contributions regularly.

Humbly,

Anant

Too much spam in your inbox? Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!http://in.mail. Om Namo Narayanaya: Best regards,Subbu Iyer

Sell on Auctions - No fees. Bid on great items. Om Namo Narayanaya:

Too much spam in your inbox? Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!http://in.mail.

Guest guest

Dear Anant

First of all, just address me as Subbu. I would be more comfortable with that.

Why do you want to assume that you have no "Purva Janma Sukhruth"? If that were the case, you would not even be considering spending your time contemplating on the Supreme Consciousness.

The Lord has his way of blessing every single living organism and he manipulates your environment to enable you go through a process of refinement and reach him finally. That is what our scientists call in their limited wisdom, "the evolution of life and life forms".

Bhakti is dovotion, dedication and Action that causes positive vibrations. Prayer, Chanting, Namasankirtanam, japam are all various methods of creating positive vibrations. Instead of worrying about abstract theories, just recite the Lord's name. The vibrations you create will travel and connect in the cosmic universe and bring you good relationships such as Guru, Sakha, Philosopher, Coach, Guide and Friend.

Please refer to some of the postings of Smt. Sunita Ramanathan where she expresses very eloquountly about Sound, the Theory of Karma and the methodology of japam and nama japam / nama sankirtanam. I would like to state on thing most emphatically. You seem to think that "YOU" are controlling your life. Therefore, you are asking the question "should we wait...?" Please know this...You, I and every single living being in this universe are not the product of our intelligence and control. We are the Grace of the Supreme Being and we are being taken through a process of refinement to be one with the divine. That is also the message that Krishna gives Arjuna in the Gita. Where your mind has to make a choice is how your Karma is determined....You have the choice to spend an evening at a Pub or at a Temple. Neither is Good or Bad. You will learn from both environments. While the chances are that you will learn more bad from the former, you are likely to be influenced more positively in

the latter. What is explicit here is that, the temple itself is not guarantee for good company.

The point I am trying to drive is as follows: You have to create vibrations around you that influence your mind and heart in positive ways including finding a Guru who is standing right next to you or in front of you. Forget about your intellect that hinges on the desperate, worrying how it is capable of finding Mukti. Surrender yourself to the Lord....He will show you the Guru and the Vishwaroopa; maybe in this birth or in some other birth. Show he sure will, but not before he has made you capable of receiving his divintity and the power to integrate with him.

Pardon my direct language, but that is the only way I know to address an issue without beating around the bush.

Om Namo Narayana.

Subbu Iyer.anant subramaniam <anant_subramaniam wrote:

Dear Sri Subbu,

Thank you for your email. I have understood from you that "love" is the only prerequisite for Nama Japam. I have a question. As we continue to do nama japam, should we wait for the Guru to approach us? Assuming I have done nothing good in my previous birth and that I am starting my bhakti account from today , I stand no chance of gaining the shelter of a Guru. That is very depressing.

Please forgive me for being so desperate, but should we wait for destiny to permit a situation where the Guru will approach us. The danger of we ourselves rushing to a person popular in this world as a Guru is that we could be waylaid and end up in more trouble. What is the way?

I pray to our beloved Sri Guruvayurappan to bless you and all our group members.

Humbly,

Anant

Subbu Iyer <iyers_96027 wrote:

Dear Anant

Dearest Group Members,

Humbly,

Anant

Too much spam in your inbox? Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!http://in.mail. Om Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

I HEARD A SAD STORY OF AN OLD LADY WHO WAS THRETENED BY A STAFF INSIDE GURUVAYOOR TEMPLE JUST BECAUSE SHE OPPOSSED HIS ATTEMPT TO SEND HIS RELATIEVES INSIDE THE TEMPLE DISREGARDING THE LINE OR QUE EVERYONE SUPPOSE TO FOLLOW.INFRONT OF THAT GREAT TEMPLE ARE WE EAQUAL OR NOT?WHO GOT THE PRIVILAGE TO SEE KANNAN FIRST AND WHO DOESNOT, HE KNOWS.Sunil Menon <menon_sunil wrote:

Dear Anant,None of your queries sounds silly. We all are novices when you think about the vast ocean of knowledge that is "Hinduism". All of us are here to learn and share what we learned.Subbu Iyer has answered your first question so well! Let me try to answer the secone one,As per Devaswom web site, you can send your contributions or pooja fees with details of the pooja to the the following address,THE ADMINISTRATORGURUVAYUR DEVASWOMGURUVAYUR - 680 101, KERALA.TEL: 91-487-2556335,2556346(OFF)2556660(PER)FAX: 91-487-2554844. The payment should be done either by way of Money order, Demand Draft or Cheque drawn in favour of the "Administrator, Guruvayur Devaswom, Guruvayur", and the details should be clearly furnished in the form. All payments should be made to the Administrator, Guruvayur

Devaswom. Hope this helps.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil Menon.guruvayur , anant subramaniam <anant_subramaniam> wrote:> > Dearest Group Members,> > I have read with interest the wonderful emails sent by various group members on japam and bhakti. However, I am confused as to whether it is necessary to be initiated by a Guru to practise Nama Japam ? Or can one do it on his/her own without guidance? If a Guru is required, what are the qualities of a Guru? Where do I find one? > > I would be grateful if any group member could clear my doubts. > > Secondly, I wish to send contributions to the Guruvayur temple regularly . What is the way to do it ? Can you please provide me with the address of the person/institution where one can send contributions regularly.> > Sorry, if my query sounds silly.

Please forgive.> > Humbly,> > Anant> > > > > > > Too much spam in your inbox? Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!> http://in.mail.Om Namo Narayanaya:

Mail for Mobile Take Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

subbu-

very nice response.

1) Can some tell me the source of the verse: guru brahma guru vishnu guru devo maheswara: guru sakshat param brahma tasmai sri gurave nama:

2) can some one also tell me where dakshinamoorthy is mentioned in the srutis and puranas?Subbu Iyer <iyers_96027 wrote:

Dear Anant

Dearest Group Members,

Humbly,

Anant

Start your day with - make it your home page