IndiaDivine.org

[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Ramayanam Masam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Would like to know on the importance of reciting Ramayanam on this particular month?

Karkkidakathinte iruttu neekki Narayana preethi labhyamaakkaan

Shree Rama Jayam

Guest guest

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

"Karkkidakathinte iruttu neekki Narayana preethi labhyamaakkaan" .... very perfect explanation to Shri Suresh's querry.

To add more to Indu's response, Karkkideka month (rainy season alongwith black clouds)is a representative of spiritual obstacles of life. In Kishkinta kandam of Sri Ramayanam, this period marks the temporary halt of 'Sri Sita anveshanam' by Sri Rama & his soulmate Sugriva, after the slaying of Bali. The ape & boar army returns to their residences, for all the routes and directions are flooded with rain waters. Sri Rama himself expresses his lack of desire to risk the life of his servants in the name of Sitanveshanam. So, he too decides to spent the rainy month inside a cave with Sri Lakshmana & Sri Maruti.

"Alasyam hi Manushyanaam Maharipuh" - this is the declaration of our punya shastras.

To this particular context, it means the period of heavy rain can add up laziness & inertness into our minds.

It is very natural that crude thinkings & activities may envelope our mind & body at such times.

Then what to do ?

Look at Sugriva (as Ramayanam says)....he engages himself into materialistic/bodily pleasures even after he'd entered into a friendship bond with Lord Rama.

On the otherside, Sri Rama chose to spend this time on spiritual discussions with Lakshmana & Maruti.

Thulasidas's Ramcharitmanas gives a good picture of Sri Rama's passtimes during this period. Lord delivers a wonderful discussion with his little brother & dearmost servant known as "Rama Gita" where he talks more on MAYA & JIVA philisophy .

So, the message we derive from this episode is that we shud not put any stopage on our spiritual progress what so ever be the time & situation. Add meaning to your thinkings & associated activities.

That's why reading RAMAYANAM in Karkkidekam deserves it's actual importance.

Don't restrict to a wrong belief of completing the 'Reading of Ramayanam' within this month, instead target on undertsanding what Ezhuttachan has tried to convey through his remarkable composition "Adhyatma Ramayanam".

Thanks.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

guruvayur [guruvayur ]On Behalf Of InduSaturday, July 16, 2005 7:02 AMguruvayur Subject: Re: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Ramayanam Masam

Would like to know on the importance of reciting Ramayanam on this particular month?

Shree Rama Jayam

Guest guest

That was lots and lots of information dear Vinod. Thanks a lot.

Shree Rama Jayam

"PS, Vinod K (GE Energy)" <vinod.ps wrote:

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

"Karkkidakathinte iruttu neekki Narayana preethi labhyamaakkaan" .... very perfect explanation to Shri Suresh's querry.

To add more to Indu's response, Karkkideka month (rainy season alongwith black clouds)is a representative of spiritual obstacles of life. In Kishkinta kandam of Sri Ramayanam, this period marks the temporary halt of 'Sri Sita anveshanam' by Sri Rama & his soulmate Sugriva, after the slaying of Bali. The ape & boar army returns to their residences, for all the routes and directions are flooded with rain waters. Sri Rama himself expresses his lack of desire to risk the life of his servants in the name of Sitanveshanam. So, he too decides to spent the rainy month inside a cave with Sri Lakshmana & Sri Maruti.

"Alasyam hi Manushyanaam Maharipuh" - this is the declaration of our punya shastras.

To this particular context, it means the period of heavy rain can add up laziness & inertness into our minds.

It is very natural that crude thinkings & activities may envelope our mind & body at such times.

Then what to do ?

Look at Sugriva (as Ramayanam says)....he engages himself into materialistic/bodily pleasures even after he'd entered into a friendship bond with Lord Rama.

On the otherside, Sri Rama chose to spend this time on spiritual discussions with Lakshmana & Maruti.

Thulasidas's Ramcharitmanas gives a good picture of Sri Rama's passtimes during this period. Lord delivers a wonderful discussion with his little brother & dearmost servant known as "Rama Gita" where he talks more on MAYA & JIVA philisophy .

So, the message we derive from this episode is that we shud not put any stopage on our spiritual progress what so ever be the time & situation. Add meaning to your thinkings & associated activities.

Don't restrict to a wrong belief of completing the 'Reading of Ramayanam' within this month, instead target on undertsanding what Ezhuttachan has tried to convey through his remarkable composition "Adhyatma Ramayanam".

Thanks.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

Dear Vinod,

The info furnished is very nice.I hv one doubt which when asked certain persons they are not able to clarify in a convincing way by just saying the tradition is like that and so the same is continuing.

The query is I hv asked why only in Kerala, Karkatakam masam is considered

as Ramayanam masam.In Tamilnadu the month Aadi(equivalent to karkataka masam) they worship Devi on Tuesdays and Fridays and I don't know in which other state this month is considered as Ramayana masam.As you hv a grip on this which I know well I will be thankful if you can clarify this difference.It may not be due to rainy season only as some other states also hv rains during this period.There may be some other importance,I do feel.Hope you will clear my doubt.God Bless.

Hare Krishna,

agraman

Hare Krishna,

agraman

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Then what to do ?

Thanks.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

guruvayur [guruvayur ]On Behalf Of InduSaturday, July 16, 2005 7:02 AMguruvayur Subject: Re: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Ramayanam Masam

Shree Rama Jayam

Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messages Only in Mail: http://in.mail.

Guest guest

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Dear Shri A G Raman,

In Tamilnadu, the month of Adi, usually starts around the 15th of July (every year). This month heralds the beginning of a series of festivals for Iyengars. The saying goes "Adi Alaithu Vanthathu", meaning Adi heralds festivals. On all the Fridays in this month, women light lamps made of Raw rice flour with wick dipped in Ghee, to Goddess Lakshmi. They also prepare Laddus (balls with raw rice flour, sugar powder, grated coconut, cardamom, saffron and Ghee fried cashew nuts and raisins). They then distribute it to other women with five different types of fruits like banana, apple, Guava, orange, pears with betel leaf and nut. The other main festivals are - Adi Amavasya the new moon in the Tamil month Adi (Jul-Aug) and Thai Amavasya the new moon in the Tamil month Thai (Jan-Feb) are celebrated here. There is also an annual festival in the Tamil month of Chithrai (Apr-May).

But, still I am not able to find any of the connection of Adi month with RAMAYANA MASAM, as in Kerala. If any body in our group can elaborate on the oldness of this tradition in Kerala & exchange their views, it wud be appreciable.

Sorry, I wont be able to present much for you.

Thanks.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

guruvayur [guruvayur ]On Behalf Of GANAPATHY RAMANMonday, July 18, 2005 11:37 PMguruvayur Subject: RE: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Ramayanam Masam

Dear Vinod,

The info furnished is very nice.I hv one doubt which when asked certain persons they are not able to clarify in a convincing way by just saying the tradition is like that and so the same is continuing.

as Ramayanam masam.In Tamilnadu the month Aadi(equivalent to karkataka masam) they worship Devi on Tuesdays and Fridays and I don't know in which other state this month is considered as Ramayana masam.As you hv a grip on this which I know well I will be thankful if you can clarify this difference.It may not be due to rainy season only as some other states also hv rains during this period.There may be some other importance,I do feel.Hope you will clear my doubt.God Bless.

Hare Krishna,

agraman

Hare Krishna,

agraman

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Then what to do ?

Thanks.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

Shree Rama Jayam

Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messagesOnly in Mail: http://in.mail.

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayanaya!

In places like Gujarat and Maharashtra and some in Karnataka worship Shiva on Shravan Somwar. Some in Karnataka pray to Devi as well. I would guess that this period is considered holy and people pray different dieties depending on the place.

Sunita"PS, Vinod K (GE Energy)" <vinod.ps wrote:

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Dear Shri A G Raman,

In Tamilnadu, the month of Adi, usually starts around the 15th of July (every year). This month heralds the beginning of a series of festivals for Iyengars. The saying goes "Adi Alaithu Vanthathu", meaning Adi heralds festivals. On all the Fridays in this month, women light lamps made of Raw rice flour with wick dipped in Ghee, to Goddess Lakshmi. They also prepare Laddus (balls with raw rice flour, sugar powder, grated coconut, cardamom, saffron and Ghee fried cashew nuts and raisins). They then distribute it to other women with five different types of fruits like banana, apple, Guava, orange, pears with betel leaf and nut. The other main festivals are - Adi Amavasya the new moon in the Tamil month Adi (Jul-Aug) and Thai Amavasya the new moon in the Tamil month Thai (Jan-Feb) are celebrated here. There is also an annual festival in the Tamil month of Chithrai (Apr-May).

But, still I am not able to find any of the connection of Adi month with RAMAYANA MASAM, as in Kerala. If any body in our group can elaborate on the oldness of this tradition in Kerala & exchange their views, it wud be appreciable.

Sorry, I wont be able to present much for you.

Thanks.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

guruvayur [guruvayur ]On Behalf Of GANAPATHY RAMANMonday, July 18, 2005 11:37 PMguruvayur Subject: RE: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Ramayanam Masam

Dear Vinod,

Hare Krishna,

agraman

Hare Krishna,

agraman

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Then what to do ?

Thanks.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

Shree Rama Jayam

Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messagesOnly in Mail: http://in.mail.

Start your day with - make it your home page