IndiaDivine.org

[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Biscuitsdistribution by Slum Dwellers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Mr. Sreenivasji Hope you must have got the answer to your querry from the mail of Jayashreeji. I do agree with you that we including me wanted the slum dwellers to be removed. However, the reason for the same is not the one you mentioned. Railways want to increase the number of tracks and for that removing slums is a must. Municipalities do the demolition work also, but the very next day they are back with the hutments. BUT IT IS A FACT THEY ARE THE PEOPLE WHO COME FORWARD AT SUCH TIMES TO HELP PEOPLE LIKE US . Biscuits, water were supplied free of cost. However, they even took the risk to go and bring biriyani who were ready to pay . They were ready to help in whichever way they could. That is

all. Another thing to be noticed that whenever such clamaities struck, not even a single case of bisbhave with women were reported. Isn't it point which needs appreciation. This is MUMBAI and I love Mumbai and the people May Lord Krishan Bless them all Regards Syamala jayashree_662001 <jayashree_66 wrote: Dear Mr. Sreenivas,Om Namo

Narayanaya,You may also have read in the july'06 issue of Readers Digest that Mumbai is one of the rudest cities in the world.you are perplexed how poor slum dwellers could offer biscuits to people trapped in the trains during the floods. as Syamalaji will agree, the slum dwellers of mumbai have small dwellings but ARE THE OWNERS OF LARGE HEARTS. i have lived in mumbai all my life and sure was agitated when Readers Digest branded mumbai rude just by conducting experiments like dropping some files on a busy road and checking if someone helps. Now that is the beauty and mystery of this city. It has no time for small niceties but in a calamity there is no city like mumbai.Syamalaji's letter brings back all the memories of last year's flood in mumbai.i stay at santacruz which is close to kalina, and this was the worst hit area. people lost everything that they had accumulated over the

years...furniture,utensils,college degrees, photos and most of all their loved ones.One day of rain changed their secure lives forever! Still it was heartening to see those who survived the ordeal, willing to share whatever they had with others.even shops, had no provisions as the flood water soaked up everything and it literally floated on the roads.but everywhere human beings,rich or poor for once set aside all differences and tried to be of help to others. Let me tell you, at this time no one thought of money as anything but only in what way it could be of help to others.Dr.Jayalakshmi of kalina , was one individual, who I saw literally doing to perfection what the Lord wants us to do always for the needy and perhaps it was her pure dedication that helped her to gather all that she needed to help the affected in Kalina.she would attend to her dispensary in the morning after preparing 'khicdi' and

packing it for at least 300-400 homeless people.Then from afternoon she would be busy until night conducting medical camps along with some more doctors who she roped in. Some of us volunteered to help her and when i asked a few friends if they could contribute some money, i must say what a generous response i got. Two vehicles of clothes, provisions and utensils and around Rs. 10000/- in cash!this we used to buy medicines and vaccines. Dr. had a camp for nearly one month and the local lions club also pitched in. A calamity had struck, but it had opened the hearts of people. During the recent mumbai blasts too, we saw that even before the police and ambulance , it was the local slum dwellers who helped in rescuing the injured by bringing bedsheets from their homes and using it as stretchers!believe me ,it is not wealth by money that counts,you can call yourself WEALTHY if you are the owner of a heart that

can reach out to others who are in need.IT IS IN THE HOMES OF THE POOR THAT YOU SEE GOD REALLY. Humbly,Jayashreeguruvayur , "Sreenivas" <sreenivas_r wrote:>> Dear All,> > I am really wonder stuck by this word from many people. I know very less about Mumbai. It was always a transit station for me to go to Gujarat. Currently I am staying in USA. Could some one give me more info on the biscuit distribution by these slum dwellers. The smallest packet of ParleG costs (Rs2 for 100gms, I think so). So to distribute in that large scale it costs a lot for them. Where do they get these. Also I read during the bomb blasts they did the same thing. I always felt that these people are to be removed from the tracks as it is dangerous for their living. I used to see that they have everything in that small

house and are totally connected to the outside world. But they are doing a wonderful job during calamities. Now I have more appreciation for these people. There is no mention of saying that they sell the biscuits, but is offered for free. So please give me more info on this. How are they getting and how can they have so much in stock to mass distribute during these times.> > Om Namo Naraya Naaya> > Sreenivas>

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.