IndiaDivine.org

Shree Rama Pattabhishekham and Shree Krishna Jayanti - Aug 16th

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Guruvayoor Family,

August 16th is a very auspicious day this year. It is the last day of Karkidakam - Ramayana Maasam - when we celebrate "Shree Rama Pattabhishekham". And it is also "Shree Krishna Jayanti", a national holiday for many in India. I suggest we celebrate this special day by reading or listening to Ramayanam or going to temple etc.

[ liked the excellent suggestion of Shri KVG to celebrate both Krishna Ashtamies in his mail ]

Regarding 'Shree Rama Pattabhishekham' please follow suggestions by Sukumar, Vinod etc. I quote from their mails -

Sukumar - "I think it is traditional to celebrate Pattabhishekam with a pooja and preparation of payasam, etc."

Vinod - "Very well appreciate your idea of celebrating "Sri Rama Pattabhishekham". This being a very unique part of this great epic, demands its fulfillment in full charm. In the northern India, I have known people requesting temple priests to accomplish this job thereby inviting neighbors & relatives to earn the blessings of Lord Ramachandra with his consort Sita devi - adored as the King & Queen of earth. "

Regarding Shree Krishna Jayanthi, there are many beautiful events like children's procession where many dressed as Balakrishna and Radha.

Another interesting ritual is 'Dahi Handi' carried out with much fanfare and joy. Breaking the Handi (Earthen Pot) suspended from top is an exciting process involves throwing water by the onlookers to prevent the boys from breaking the earthen pot. Dahi Handi ritual is most popularly celebrated in Mumbai. I miss seeing that beautiful event.

If you happen to take pictures of any of such events, please share with us.

I take this opportunity to thank Sukumar for Ramayanam Audio that made this Ramayana month extra special to our group. His hard work is also an encouragement to all of us to do better in our Bhakti and work. Those of you not listened to his singing, please check out the audio at www.guruvayoor.com .

Hare Rama, Hare Krishna!

Om Namo Narayanaya:

Sunil.