IndiaDivine.org

RE: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Gita Mahatmyam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Thank you Vinita ji.

The words are powerful enough to start the new year :)

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

guruvayur [guruvayur ] On Behalf Of vinita manikantanSunday, January 07, 2007 9:28 PMguruvayur Subject: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Gita Mahatmyam

Parvati said "My dear husband, You know all thetranscendental truths, and by your mercy I have heardthe glories of the Supreme Personality of Godhead,Lord Krishna. Oh Lord, now I long to hear from You theglories of the Srimad Bhagavad-gita, which was spokenby Lord Krishna, and by hearing which, one's devotionto Lord Krishna increases"Lord Shiva replied "That person, Whose body is thecolor of a dark rain cloud, whose carrier is the kingof birds, Garuda, and Who is lying on Ananta-Sesha,the thousand headed serpent, that Lord Vishnu, Whoseglories have no limit, I am always worshipping. Mydear Parvati once after Lord Vishnu had killed thedemon Mura, He was resting peacefully on Ananta-Sesha,when the bestower of all good fortune of the universe,Sri Lakshmi, respectfully inquired from Him."Bhagavan, You are the controller and maintainer ofthe whole universe, but yet You are sleeping unhappilyon this ocean of milk What is the reason?"Lord Vishnu said, "My dear Lakshmi, I am not sleeping,but I am watching how wonderfully My energy isworking. It is by this wonderful energy of Mine, bywhich I am controlling all things, and yet remainseparate. And it is by remembering these divineactivities of Mine, that the great devotees and yogismanage to free themselves from the wheel of birth anddeath, and attain that transcendental nature of Mine,which is eternal and free from all qualities"Lakshmi said, "O, controller of all things. You arethe goal of the meditation of great yogis. Nothing cango on without You. And yet You are separate. You arethe cause of creation, maintenance and destruction ofall the material universes. Kindly inform me about theworkings of Your wonderful energies, which are soattractive, that even You are lying here, meditatingupon them"Lord Vishnu said, "My dear Lakshmi, the workings of Mymulti-fold energies, and how to become free from thebonds of birth and death, and attain My eternalNature, can only be understood by one of pureintelligence, who has an inclination to render serviceunto Me. This transcendental knowledge is fullyexplained in the Srimad Bhagavad-gita"Lakshmi inquired, "My dear Lord, if you yourself areamazed, by the workings of Your energies, and are evertrying to fathom their limit, then how is it possiblethat the Bhagavad-gita can describe those unlimitedenergies of Yours, and how to cross over them, andattain the transcendental nature?"Lord Vishnu said, "I Myself have manifested in theForm of Bhagavad-gita. Please understand that thefirst five chapters are My five heads, the next tenchapters are My ten Arms, and the Sixteenth Chapter isMy stomach. The last two chapters are My lotus-feet.In this way you should understand the transcendentalDeity of the Bhagavad-gita. This Bhagavad-gita is thedestroyer of all sins. And that intelligent man whodaily recites one chapter or even one shloka, one halfshloka, or at least one quarter shloka, will attainthe same position as Susharma had attained."Lakshmi inquired, "Who was Susharma? What class did hebelong to? And what destination did he attain?"Lord Vishnu said, "My dear Lakshmi, Susharma was avery wicked and a most sinful man. Although he wasborn in a brahmana family, his family had no Vedicknowledge. And he only took pleasure from hurtingothers. He never engaged in the chanting of My names,in giving charity, or receiving guests. In fact, henever performed any pious activities. For hislivelihood he collected leaves, and sold them in thebazaar. He especially enjoyed drinking wine, andeating flesh. In this way he passed his life."One day that foolish Susharma had gone to the gardenof one sage for collecting leaves, when a snake cameand bit him, and he died. After his death he was castinto many hells, where he suffered for a long time.After which he attained the body of a bull. That bullwas purchased by a crippled man, who engaged him inhis service. For about seven or eight years he wascarrying extremely heavy loads. One day that crippledman had piled a very heavy load onto the back of hisbull. Very quickly he was forcing that bull along whensuddenly the bull fell over and became unconscious.Many persons gathered there, to see what washappening, feeling sorry for that bull. One pious manbestowed upon that bull the results of some of hispious activities. Seeing that, other persons standingthere started remembering their pious activities, andoffered the results of some of those activities tothat bull. In that crowd there was also one prostitutewho did not know if she had ever performed any piousactivities, but seeing everyone else offering theirpious credits to that bull, she also offered theresults of any pious activities she might haveperformed After that, the bull died, and was taken tothe abode of Yamaraja, the God of Death.There, Yamaraja informed him, "You are now free fromthe reactions of all your previous sinful deeds, dueto the pious credits given to you by that prostitute."Then he took birth in a very high brahmana family. Inthat birth, he was able to remember his past lives.After many days, he decided to search out thatprostitute, who had been the cause of freeing him fromhis hellish situation.After he had found and introduced himself to that ladyhe inquired from her "What were the pious activitiesperformed by you, the fruits of which freed me from myhellish situation?" The prostitute replied to him, "Mydear sir, in that cage is one parrot, which recitessomething everyday. Hearing that recitation, my hearthas become completely pure. The results of hearingthat recitation I had given to you." Thereafter theyboth inquired from that parrot about that recitation.That parrot, remembering his previous life, started tonarrate his history. "Previously, I had been a verylearned brahmana. But due to my pride, I used toinsult other learned persons. I was also extremelyjealous. After I died, I was cast into many hells, andafter a long time of suffering, I achieved this bodyof a parrot. Due to my past sinful activities, mymother and father died while I was a baby. One day,while I was lying on the hot sands, with noprotection, some rishis saw me, and took me to theirashram, and put me in a cage. At that same place, thechildren of those rishis were learning the recitationof the First Chapter of the Srimad Bhagavad-gita,Hearing them repeat those Shlokas, I also, startedrepeating those shloka along with them."Shortly after, one thief stole me from that place andsold me to this pious lady." Lord Vishnu continued,"By reciting the First Chapter of the Bhagavad-gita,that parrot had become completely pure. And by hearingthat recitation that prostitute also became completelypure. And by receiving some of the pious results ofhearing that recitation, Susharma also becomecompletely pure.After discussing for some time the glories of thefirst chapter of Bhagavad-gita, Susharma returned tohis home, and the three of them individually engagedin reciting the First Chapter of Srimad Bhagavad-gita,and very quickly attained the supreme destination,Vaikuntha." Anyone who recites, who hears, or studiesthe First Chapter of Bhagavad-gita, will very easilycross over the ocean of material miseries, and attainthe service of the lotus-feet of Lord Krishna.Hare Krishna-- Please Chant:Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare HareHare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare HareAnd Be Happy