IndiaDivine.org

[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Dating Ayyappa avataram

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayanaya

Dear Vinod,

Your query is a good one. Yes we have been watching "Ayyappan" on Asianet TV on weekdays. Well I do not have an exact answer to your query, but did some Google search and found the below information. The first one to indicate the date when Bhattatiri completed composing Narayaneeyam, as well I do remember that the Brahmin was addresed as a 'yuvave'. In the second example we know that Swami Ayyappan had met a youngster called Sebastianos called Velluthaunni, at the Kalari aashan's place, this Velluthaunni later became Veluthachan at the St. Francis Church at Arthunkal.

While doing these search I did come across a traditional story about Ayyappan and his connection with Vavar. You all can check the story at the URL provided below.

Another co-incidence is, today Jan 20th is observed as an important day at the St. Francis Church since St. Sebastian of Milan expired on 20th January, about the year 228.

From Baktharanjani Site:

http://www.narayaneeyam.com/narayaneeyam.htm

As he was continuing to suffer from excruciating pain due to his malady, he sought advice from the celebrated contemporary poet, Thunjath Ezhuthatchan, who suggested that Bhattatiri should “start with the fish”. Bhattatiri, being quick to understand the implication of this suggestion, viz., that he should compose a hymn in praise of Lord Guruvayoorappan giving an account of all His sportive incarnations beginning with the incarnation as fish (Matsya-avatara), he sat at the feet of the Lord and composed this great work, a dasakam a day, with ardent devotion. At the end of the hundredth day, when he had completed all the one hundred dasakams, it is said that he had a glorious vision of the Lord and he was completely cured of his ailment. Bhattatiri composed Narayaneeyam when he was twenty-seven, completing it on November 27, 1587.

From Arthunkal Church site:

http://www.arthunkalchurch.org/html/sebafrm.htm

In 1584 A.D., Fr Jacomo Fenicio S.J. was appointed vicar of Arthunkal. He started construction of a new church in stone, with permission of the King, and completed it in 7 years. After Fr Fenicio was transferred to Kozhikode, eight priests took charge in succession. Fr Fenicio was appointed again in 1619, and in the next year, he reconstructed the church. He was much loved and was considered a holy man by the people and the administrators. People called him saint and 'Veluthachan', meaning white father. 'Veluthachan' later became the popular name of St Sebastian. Fr Fenicio said to have performed lots of miracles while he was still alive. Even Hindus believed in the power of his prayers and approached him for his blessings. He was known as the second Apostle of the east and died in 1632. Huge was the crowd including kings flowed in, to pay him the final tribute. His body was buried inside the church and people used to pray and light candles there. The tomb is still preserved near the altar of the old church.

http://www.ayyappan-ldc.com/ayyappan.info_thehistory.html

Swamiye Sharanam Ayyappa

Pravin

-

PS, Vinod K (GE Infra, Energy)

guruvayur

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:22 AM

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Dear Bhagavatas,

Hopefully nobody within our group miss to watch "Ayyappan" on Asianet TV weekdays @ 9:25pm.

Have an interesting question for you. From the episode as on Jan 9th, Ayyappan is seen to quote an illustration from the dialogue between Uddanda Sastrigal & Bhattathiri (Is he the same 'Bhattathiri' who composed 'Srimad Narayaneeyam' ?).

Can anybody help me understand the correct period of 'Ayyappa' avataram ? Hope the replies will strictly refer to our sacred texts !

Looking forward to each one of you.

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

Dear Pravin/Vinod,

Radhe Krishna!

I am not a viewer of the TV serials, so I have not been watching the

Ayyappan serial.

However, the Bhattatiri who defeated Uddanda Sastri was Kakkasseri

Bhattatiri. This is clearly given in "Aithihya-mala".of Kottarathil

Sankunni.

If you want to know more abotut Kakkasseri, please do write to me.

Yours,

KVG

pravin wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya

Dear Vinod,

Your query is a good one. Yes we

have been watching "Ayyappan" on Asianet TV on weekdays. Well I do not

have an exact answer to your query, but did some Google search and

found the below information. The first one to indicate the date when

Bhattatiri completed composing Narayaneeyam, as well I do remember that

the Brahmin was addresed as a 'yuvave'. In the second example we know

that Swami Ayyappan had met a youngster called Sebastianos called

Velluthaunni, at the Kalari aashan's place, this Velluthaunni later

became Veluthachan at the St. Francis Church at Arthunkal.

While doing these search I did come

across a traditional story about Ayyappan and his connection with

Vavar. You all can check the story at the URL provided below.

Another co-incidence is, today Jan

20th is observed as an important day at the St. Francis Church since

St. Sebastian of Milan expired on 20th January, about the year 228.

From Baktharanjani Site:

As he was continuing to suffer

from excruciating pain due to his malady, he sought advice from the

celebrated contemporary poet, Thunjath Ezhuthatchan, who suggested that

Bhattatiri should “start with the fish”. Bhattatiri,

being quick to understand the implication of this suggestion, viz.,

that he should compose a hymn in praise of Lord Guruvayoorappan giving

an account of all His sportive incarnations beginning with the

incarnation as fish (Matsya-avatara), he sat at the feet of the

Lord and composed this great work, a dasakam a day, with ardent

devotion. At the end of the hundredth day, when he had

completed all the one hundred dasakams, it is said that he had a

glorious vision of the Lord and he was completely cured of his ailment.

Bhattatiri composed Narayaneeyam when he was twenty-seven,

completing it on November 27, 1587.

In

1584 A.D., Fr Jacomo Fenicio S.J. was appointed vicar of Arthunkal.

He started construction of a new church in stone, with permission of

the King, and completed it in 7 years. After Fr Fenicio was transferred

to Kozhikode, eight priests took charge in succession.

Fr

Fenicio was appointed again in 1619, and in the next year, he

reconstructed the church. He was much loved and was considered a holy

man by the people and the administrators. People called him saint

and 'Veluthachan', meaning white father. 'Veluthachan' later

became the popular name of St Sebastian. Fr Fenicio said to have

performed lots of miracles while he was still alive. Even Hindus

believed in the power of his prayers and approached him for his

blessings. He was known as the second Apostle of the east and died in

1632. Huge was the crowd including kings flowed in, to pay him the

final tribute. His body was buried inside the church and people used to

pray and light candles there. The tomb is still preserved near the

altar of the old church.

Swamiye Sharanam Ayyappa

Pravin

-----

Original Message -----

PS, Vinod

K (GE Infra, Energy)

To:

guruvayur

Sent:

Subject:

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Dear Bhagavatas,

Hopefully nobody within our group miss to watch "Ayyappan" on

Asianet TV weekdays @ 9:25pm.

Have an interesting question for you. From the episode as on

Jan 9th, Ayyappan is seen to quote an illustration from the dialogue

between Uddanda Sastrigal & Bhattathiri (Is he the same

'Bhattathiri' who composed 'Srimad Narayaneeyam' ?).

Can anybody help me understand the correct period of

'Ayyappa' avataram ? Hope the replies will strictly refer to our sacred

texts !

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama

Dear Gopalakrishnaji,

Thank you very much for responding with the correct answer. We shall be very grateful if you could elaborate a little about Kakkasseri in the next issue of Navaneetham. Please let us know your thoughts on the story termed as 'Traditional Story of Ayyappan' how far could this be taken at face value. We thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards,

Om Namo Narayanaya

Pravin

-

K.V Gopalakrishna

guruvayur

Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:28 PM

Re: [Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Dating Ayyappa avataram

Dear Pravin/Vinod,Radhe Krishna!I am not a viewer of the TV serials, so I have not been watching the Ayyappan serial.However, the Bhattatiri who defeated Uddanda Sastri was Kakkasseri Bhattatiri. This is clearly given in "Aithihya-mala".of Kottarathil Sankunni.If you want to know more abotut Kakkasseri, please do write to me.Yours,KVGpravin wrote:

Om Namo Narayanaya

Dear Vinod,

Your query is a good one. Yes we have been watching "Ayyappan" on Asianet TV on weekdays. Well I do not have an exact answer to your query, but did some Google search and found the below information. The first one to indicate the date when Bhattatiri completed composing Narayaneeyam, as well I do remember that the Brahmin was addresed as a 'yuvave'. In the second example we know that Swami Ayyappan had met a youngster called Sebastianos called Velluthaunni, at the Kalari aashan's place, this Velluthaunni later became Veluthachan at the St. Francis Church at Arthunkal.

While doing these search I did come across a traditional story about Ayyappan and his connection with Vavar. You all can check the story at the URL provided below.

Another co-incidence is, today Jan 20th is observed as an important day at the St. Francis Church since St. Sebastian of Milan expired on 20th January, about the year 228.

From Baktharanjani Site:

As he was continuing to suffer from excruciating pain due to his malady, he sought advice from the celebrated contemporary poet, Thunjath Ezhuthatchan, who suggested that Bhattatiri should “start with the fish”. Bhattatiri, being quick to understand the implication of this suggestion, viz., that he should compose a hymn in praise of Lord Guruvayoorappan giving an account of all His sportive incarnations beginning with the incarnation as fish (Matsya-avatara), he sat at the feet of the Lord and composed this great work, a dasakam a day, with ardent devotion. At the end of the hundredth day, when he had completed all the one hundred dasakams, it is said that he had a glorious vision of the Lord and he was completely cured of his ailment. Bhattatiri composed Narayaneeyam when he was twenty-seven, completing it on November 27, 1587.

In 1584 A.D., Fr Jacomo Fenicio S.J. was appointed vicar of Arthunkal. He started construction of a new church in stone, with permission of the King, and completed it in 7 years. After Fr Fenicio was transferred to Kozhikode, eight priests took charge in succession.

Fr Fenicio was appointed again in 1619, and in the next year, he reconstructed the church. He was much loved and was considered a holy man by the people and the administrators. People called him saint and 'Veluthachan', meaning white father. 'Veluthachan' later became the popular name of St Sebastian. Fr Fenicio said to have performed lots of miracles while he was still alive. Even Hindus believed in the power of his prayers and approached him for his blessings. He was known as the second Apostle of the east and died in 1632. Huge was the crowd including kings flowed in, to pay him the final tribute. His body was buried inside the church and people used to pray and light candles there. The tomb is still preserved near the altar of the old church.

Swamiye Sharanam Ayyappa

Pravin

-

PS, Vinod K (GE Infra, Energy)

guruvayur

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

Dear Bhagavatas,

Hopefully nobody within our group miss to watch "Ayyappan" on Asianet TV weekdays @ 9:25pm.

Have an interesting question for you. From the episode as on Jan 9th, Ayyappan is seen to quote an illustration from the dialogue between Uddanda Sastrigal & Bhattathiri (Is he the same 'Bhattathiri' who composed 'Srimad Narayaneeyam' ?).

Can anybody help me understand the correct period of 'Ayyappa' avataram ? Hope the replies will strictly refer to our sacred texts !

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama