IndiaDivine.org

[Guruvayur/Guruvayoor] Why do we read Gita, even if we can't understand a Sanskrit word????

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

HARI AUM

Good one.

Regards

Balagopal

NARAYANA NARAYANA NARAYANA

--- Arun P Pillai <arunppillay wrote:

>

> OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

>

> This is beautiful story -

>

> An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains

> with his young grandson.

> Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the

> kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita.

> His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried

> to imitate him in every way he could.

>

> One day the grandson asked, " Grandpa! I try to

> read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't

> understand it,

> and what I do understand I forget as soon as I

> close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad

> Gita do? "

>

> The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal

> in the stove and replied,

> " Take this coal basket down to the river and

> bring me back a basket of water. "

>

> The boy did as he was told, but all the water

> leaked out before he got back to the house.

> The grandfather laughed and said, " You'll have to

> move a little faster next time, "

> and sent him back to the river with the basket to

> try again. This time the boy ran faster,

> but again the basket was empty before he returned

> home. Out of breath,

> he told his grandfather that it was impossible to

> carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket

> instead.

>

> The old man said, " I don't want a bucket of water;

> I want a basket of water.

> You're just not trying hard enough, " and he went

> out the door to watch the boy try again.

>

> At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but

> he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he

> ran as fast as he could,

> the water would leak out before he got back to

> the house.

>

> The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran

> hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket

> was again empty.

> Out of breath, he said, " See Grandpa, it's

> useless! "

>

>

> " So you think it is useless? " The old man said,

> " Look at the basket. "

> The boy looked at the basket and for the first

> time realized that the basket was different.

> It had been transformed from a dirty old coal

> basket and was now clean, inside and out.

>

> " Son, that's what happens when you read the

> Bhagavad Gita. You might not understand or remember

> everything,

> but when you read it, you will be changed, inside

> and out. That is the work of Krishna in our lives. "

>

>

>

>

>

> Radhe Shyam

> Arun

>

>

>

> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:*

> {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:*

> {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape

> {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }

>

>

>

>

> Ahhh...imagining that irresistible " new car " smell?

> Check outnew cars at Autos.

Send a FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Messenger. Get it now

at http://in.messenger./

Guest guest

Wonderful and very true.Arun P Pillai <arunppillay wrote: OM NAMO NARAYANAYA This is beautiful story - An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could. One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad Gita do?" The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove

and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water." The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead. The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a

basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again. At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!" "So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket." The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out. "Son, that's what happens when you read the Bhagavad Gita. You might not understand or remember

everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Krishna in our lives." Radhe Shyam Arun Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"

smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

My hearty thanks to Arunji for this write-up. It is, indeed,

superb. Such anecdotes should motivate our friends in the group to

realise the importance of the Gita, and put its precepts into practice.

Love

KVG.

Arun P Pillai wrote:

OM

NAMO NARAYANAYA

This is

beautiful story -

An old

Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson.

Each

morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his

Bhagavath Gita.

His

grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every

way he could.

One day

the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad Gita just like

you but I don't understand it,

and what I

do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does

reading the Bhagavad Gita do?"

The

Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied,

"Take

this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water."

The boy

did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to

the house.

The

grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next

time,"

and sent

him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy

ran faster,

but again

the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath,

he told

his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and

he went to get a bucket instead.

The old

man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water.

You're

just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy

try again.

At this

point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his

grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could,

the water

would leak out before he got back to the house.

The boy

again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached

his grandfather the basket was again empty.

Out of

breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"

"So you

think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket."

The boy

looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket

was different.

It had

been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside

and out.

"Son,

that's what happens when you read the Bhagavad Gita. You might not

understand or remember everything,

but when

you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Krishna

in our lives."

Radhe

Shyam

Arun

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?

Check out

new

cars at Autos.

Guest guest

I am not for any controversy or dispute.But still I wonder in what way by reading Gita change a person unless he/she has some basics in the subject.As a story it may or not be appreciated but still the dilemma is there.Any comments from revered Dr?Simply saying some story wonderful won't carry any weight unless it is substantiated which is not done.Sorry,long time we hv discussions as I was not in station as I told you personally.Gita as an epitome preached by Krishna to Arjuna is ok.But do you think the same can be applied in the present fast moving life?This has been discussed earlier also and I don,t feel the preachings of Krishna can be taken at face value in the present day life.Opinions can differ.This is not in any way intented to underrate Gita but from practical angle will that survive?This is of course not intended to your opinion but only my thoughts.I am not interested in opening a pandoras box but I know you will be glad

to get a reply. With warm regards, agraman.Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 wrote: Wonderful and very true.Arun P Pillai <arunppillay > wrote: OM NAMO NARAYANAYA This is beautiful story - An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning

Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could. One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad

Gita do?" The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water." The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out

before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a

bucket instead. The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again. At this point, the boy knew it was impossible,

but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!" "So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket." The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out. "Son, that's what happens when you read the Bhagavad Gita. You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Krishna in our lives." Radhe Shyam Arun Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger

Guest guest

April 19, 2007 Dear Arunji, Jai Shree Krishna Thanks for posting such an insightful story about Bhagvat Gita. With best wishes, Kirit Shah

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

The most important part in the story is not the value of reading Gita or any other work. You can substitute anyreligious book in its place ,it does not matter. The value of the story consists in the part when the bamboo basket becomes wet and clean, if you can understand the significance.It is similar to namasankirthanam which purifies a man even if uttered without knowing the meaning as the case of one who was able to see God by uttering 'maraprabhu,' or even in the classical example of a hunter becoming Valmiki by chanting 'mara mara.' The wetness of the basket indicates the ardhrahrdhaya, a heart which becomes soft with devotion and the clean state of the basket shows the inner purity that comes with the grace of God provided one does something believing that it is good for him. On the other hand if you do not believe it will be like water running through the sieve. In order to appreciate anything you have to forget your

individual ego -centric thoughts and be prepared to forget yourself as so and so and approach it objectively. To see something superficially without delving deep into the purpose and context will not present the real value of it to the perceiver.It does not matter who says it or what but if you have the mind filled with the love of the Lord, He puts a message in everything you hear and everything you see. saroja ramanujamGANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 wrote: I am not for any

controversy or dispute.But still I wonder in what way by reading Gita change a person unless he/she has some basics in the subject.As a story it may or not be appreciated but still the dilemma is there.Any comments from revered Dr?Simply saying some story wonderful won't carry any weight unless it is substantiated which is not done.Sorry,long time we hv discussions as I was not in station as I told you personally.Gita as an epitome preached by Krishna to Arjuna is ok.But do you think the same can be applied in the present fast moving life?This has been discussed earlier also and I don,t feel the preachings of Krishna can be taken at face value in the present day life.Opinions can differ.This is not in any way intented to underrate Gita but from practical angle will that survive?This is of course not intended to your opinion but only my thoughts.I am not interested in opening a pandoras box but I know you will be glad to get a

reply. With warm regards, agraman.Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 > wrote: Wonderful and very true.Arun P Pillai <arunppillay > wrote: OM NAMO NARAYANAYA This is beautiful story - An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could. One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad Gita do?" The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and

replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water." The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead. The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a

basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again. At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!" "So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket." The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out. "Son, that's what happens when you read the Bhagavad Gita. You might not understand or remember

everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Krishna in our lives." Radhe Shyam Arun Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"

smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayanaya. Welcome back, Shri Ramanji, long time no mails. Thanks Arunji for sharing a simple but sweet story. I agree with Dr. Sarojaji. Whether I understand it or not, reading the Geeta never fails to soothe my mind. What I do understand from it, never fails to strengthen my mind. Then again, if one turns to Narayaneeyam or Vishnu Sahasranamam or Lalita Sahasranamam the effect is the same. Think of it like perfume. You walk into a hall filled with people wearing perfume, you sit in adjoining seats etc. you walk out and can still smell the lingering smell of the perfume; same way with any holy text. You cannot escape from some of it sweeping over you. Then there is the question of 'should not we try and understand what the Geeta says?" True we should. But I think we should expect this from people who understand the value of the book and feel the need to read it. As each one's intellectual level, so each one's attempts to tackle something; a primary school kid needs to take up reading and whether or not all the words are known to the kid, sitting down daily with it and trying to read is very important rather than saying because I cannot read, I won't read it. An advanced learner will read with understanding. If he does not, he is only deceiving himself. If he understands and does not practice he is deceiving himself. I think the Geeta is very relevant to our times. I know many young people who hold it in the utmost regard, and try to live by its enduring principles. Sunita Williams is on the international space station and took with her only a copy of the Geeta. :-) For anyone who is interested in the Geeta, but find the languge daunting, or the concept daunting or is simply afraid to make a commitment to reading it, I highly recommend the online talks by Swami Paramarthanandaji from Chennai. These talks are free but cannot be downloaded. Swamiji has just

started talking on chapter 11, Bhagwan's vishwa roopa darshanam. Slokas 1-6 of this chapter will be available for 3-4 more days; if you listen to it in the next 2-3 days, you can go on to hear the complete 11th chapter in subsequent weeks. A new talk gets uploaded every Monday. In any given week, 4 one-hr talks are available. So as a new one gets uploaded the oldest one is no longer available. One can pace oneself, take notes etc., and hear the talks at one's convenience. In English, in very simple language, with elaborate examples, Swamiji explains the slokas. http://www.vedantavidyarthisangha.org/ Mookam karoti vaachalam Pangum langhayate Girim, Yat krupa tam ham vande Param Ananda Madhavam. Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 wrote: The most important part in the story is not the value of reading Gita or any other work. You can substitute anyreligious book in its place ,it does not matter. The value of the story consists in the part when the bamboo basket becomes wet and clean, if you can understand the significance.It is similar to namasankirthanam which purifies a man even if uttered without knowing the meaning as the case of one who was able to see God by uttering 'maraprabhu,' or even in the classical example of a hunter becoming Valmiki by chanting 'mara mara.' The wetness of the basket indicates the ardhrahrdhaya, a heart which becomes soft with devotion and the clean state of the basket

shows the inner purity that comes with the grace of God provided one does something believing that it is good for him. On the other hand if you do not believe it will be like water running through the sieve. In order to appreciate anything you have to forget your individual ego -centric thoughts and be prepared to forget yourself as so and so and approach it objectively. To see something superficially without delving deep into the purpose and context will not present the real value of it to the perceiver.It does not matter who says it or what but if you have the mind filled with the love of the Lord, He puts a message in everything you hear and everything you see. saroja ramanujamGANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote: I am not for any controversy or dispute.But still I wonder in what way by reading Gita change a person unless he/she has some basics in the subject.As a story it may or not be appreciated but still the dilemma is there.Any comments from revered Dr?Simply saying some story wonderful won't carry any weight unless it is substantiated which is not done.Sorry,long time we hv discussions as I was not in station as I told you personally.Gita as an epitome preached by Krishna to Arjuna is ok.But do you think the same can be applied in the present fast moving life?This has been discussed earlier also and I don,t feel the preachings of Krishna can be taken at face value in the present day life.Opinions can differ.This is not in any way intented to underrate Gita but from practical angle will that survive?This is of course not intended to your opinion but only my thoughts.I am not interested in opening a pandoras box but I know

you will be glad to get a reply. With warm regards, agraman.Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 > wrote: Wonderful and very true.Arun P Pillai <arunppillay > wrote: OM NAMO NARAYANAYA This is beautiful story - An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita. His grandson wanted to be just like him and

tried to imitate him in every way he could. One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad Gita do?" The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water." The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The

grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead. The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again. At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could,

the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!" "So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket." The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out. "Son, that's what happens when you read the Bhagavad Gita. You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Krishna in our lives." Radhe Shyam Arun Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out new cars at Autos.

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Very nice story.Arun P Pillai <arunppillay wrote: OM NAMO NARAYANAYA This is beautiful story - An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could. One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad Gita do?" The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and

replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water." The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead. The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a

smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Geetha

Nair

Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger

Guest guest

Veenaji,

I too look forward eagerly every week to hear Shri

Paramarthananda's talk on Geeta. They are simply excellent.

They can also be purchased at

http://www.sastraprakasika.org/default.asp

guruvayur , " Veena A. Nair " <veeus18

wrote:

>

> Om Namo Narayanaya.

> Welcome back, Shri Ramanji, long time no mails.

>

> Thanks Arunji for sharing a simple but sweet story.

> I agree with Dr. Sarojaji. Whether I understand it or not,

reading the Geeta never fails to soothe my mind. What I do

understand from it, never fails to strengthen my mind. Then again,

if one turns to Narayaneeyam or Vishnu Sahasranamam or Lalita

Sahasranamam the effect is the same. Think of it like perfume. You

walk into a hall filled with people wearing perfume, you sit in

adjoining seats etc. you walk out and can still smell the lingering

smell of the perfume; same way with any holy text. You cannot

escape from some of it sweeping over you.

> Then there is the question of 'should not we try and understand

what the Geeta says? " True we should. But I think we should expect

this from people who understand the value of the book and feel the

need to read it. As each one's intellectual level, so each one's

attempts to tackle something; a primary school kid needs to take up

reading and whether or not all the words are known to the kid,

sitting down daily with it and trying to read is very important

rather than saying because I cannot read, I won't read it. An

advanced learner will read with understanding. If he does not, he

is only deceiving himself. If he understands and does not practice

he is deceiving himself.

>

> I think the Geeta is very relevant to our times. I know many

young people who hold it in the utmost regard, and try to live by

its enduring principles.

> Sunita Williams is on the international space station and took

with her only a copy of the Geeta. :-)

>

> For anyone who is interested in the Geeta, but find the languge

daunting, or the concept daunting or is simply afraid to make a

commitment to reading it, I highly recommend the online talks by

Swami Paramarthanandaji from Chennai. These talks are free but

cannot be downloaded. Swamiji has just started talking on chapter

11, Bhagwan's vishwa roopa darshanam. Slokas 1-6 of this chapter

will be available for 3-4 more days; if you listen to it in the

next 2-3 days, you can go on to hear the complete 11th chapter in

subsequent weeks. A new talk gets uploaded every Monday. In any

given week, 4 one-hr talks are available. So as a new one gets

uploaded the oldest one is no longer available. One can pace

oneself, take notes etc., and hear the talks at one's convenience.

In English, in very simple language, with elaborate examples,

Swamiji explains the slokas.

> http://www.vedantavidyarthisangha.org/

>

> Mookam karoti vaachalam Pangum langhayate Girim,

> Yat krupa tam ham vande Param Ananda Madhavam.

>

>

> Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18

wrote:

> The most important part in the story is not the value of reading

Gita or any other work. You can substitute anyreligious book in its

place ,it does not matter. The value of the story consists in the

part when the bamboo basket becomes wet and clean, if you can

understand the significance.It is similar to namasankirthanam which

purifies a man even if uttered without knowing the meaning as the

case of one who was able to see God by uttering 'maraprabhu,' or

even in the classical example of a hunter becoming Valmiki by

chanting 'mara mara.' The wetness of the basket indicates the

ardhrahrdhaya, a heart which becomes soft with devotion and the

clean state of the basket shows the inner purity that comes with

the grace of God provided one does something believing that it is

good for him. On the other hand if you do not believe it will be

like water running through the sieve. In order to appreciate

anything you have to forget your individual ego -centric thoughts

> and be prepared to forget yourself as so and so and approach it

objectively. To see something superficially without delving deep

into the purpose and context will not present the real value of it

to the perceiver.It does not matter who says it or what but if you

have the mind filled with the love of the Lord, He puts a message

in everything you hear and everything you see.

> saroja ramanujam

>

> GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 wrote:

> I am not for any controversy or dispute.But still I

wonder in what way by reading Gita change a person unless he/she

has some basics in the subject.As a story it may or not be

appreciated but still the dilemma is there.Any comments from

> revered Dr?Simply saying some story wonderful won't carry any

weight unless it is substantiated which is not done.Sorry,long time

we hv discussions

> as I was not in station as I told you personally.Gita as an

epitome preached by Krishna to Arjuna is ok.But do you think the

same can be applied in the present fast moving life?This has been

discussed earlier also and I don,t feel the preachings of Krishna

can be taken at face value in the present day life.Opinions can

differ.This is not in any way intented to underrate Gita but from

practical angle will that survive?This is of course not intended to

your opinion but only my thoughts.I am not interested in opening a

pandoras box but I know you will be glad to get a reply.

>

> With warm regards,

> agraman.

>

> Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 wrote:

> Wonderful and very true.

>

> Arun P Pillai <arunppillay wrote:

> OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

>

>

> An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young

grandson.

> Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table

reading his Bhagavath Gita.

> His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate

him in every way he could.

>

> One day the grandson asked, " Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad

Gita just like you but I don't understand it,

> and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book.

What good does reading the Bhagavad Gita do? "

>

> The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove

and replied,

> " Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a

basket of water. "

>

> The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before

he got back to the house.

> The grandfather laughed and said, " You'll have to move a little

faster next time, "

> and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again.

This time the boy ran faster,

> but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of

breath,

> he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in

a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead.

>

> The old man said, " I don't want a bucket of water; I want a

basket of water.

> You're just not trying hard enough, " and he went out the door to

watch the boy try again.

>

> At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to

show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could,

> the water would leak out before he got back to the house.

>

> The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but

when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty.

> Out of breath, he said, " See Grandpa, it's useless! "

>

>

> " So you think it is useless? " The old man said, " Look at the

basket. "

> The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized

that the basket was different.

> It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was

now clean, inside and out.

>

> " Son, that's what happens when you read the Bhagavad Gita. You

might not understand or remember everything,

> but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That

is the work of Krishna in our lives. "

>

>

>

>

>

> Radhe Shyam

> Arun

> Check out new cars at Autos.

>

>

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in

sanskrit.

> web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18

> http://freewebs.com/gitaclass

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Check out what you're missing if you're not on

Messenger

>

>

Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in

sanskrit.

> web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18

> http://freewebs.com/gitaclass

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks Arunji for sharing the beautiful story.

Jai Sree Krishna

Seema

--- Arun P Pillai <arunppillay wrote:

>

> OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

>

>

> An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains

> with his young grandson.

> Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the

> kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita.

> His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried

> to imitate him in every way he could.

>

> One day the grandson asked, " Grandpa! I try to

> read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't

> understand it,

> and what I do understand I forget as soon as I

> close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad

> Gita do? "

>

> The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal

> in the stove and replied,

> " Take this coal basket down to the river and

> bring me back a basket of water. "

>

> The boy did as he was told, but all the water

> leaked out before he got back to the house.

> The grandfather laughed and said, " You'll have to

> move a little faster next time, "

> and sent him back to the river with the basket to

> try again. This time the boy ran faster,

> but again the basket was empty before he returned

> home. Out of breath,

> he told his grandfather that it was impossible to

> carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket

> instead.

>

> The old man said, " I don't want a bucket of water;

> I want a basket of water.

> You're just not trying hard enough, " and he went

> out the door to watch the boy try again.

>

> At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but

> he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he

> ran as fast as he could,

> the water would leak out before he got back to

> the house.

>

> The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran

> hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket

> was again empty.

> Out of breath, he said, " See Grandpa, it's

> useless! "

>

>

> " So you think it is useless? " The old man said,

> " Look at the basket. "

> The boy looked at the basket and for the first

> time realized that the basket was different.

> It had been transformed from a dirty old coal

> basket and was now clean, inside and out.

>

> " Son, that's what happens when you read the

> Bhagavad Gita. You might not understand or remember

> everything,

> but when you read it, you will be changed, inside

> and out. That is the work of Krishna in our lives. "

>

>

>

>

>

> Radhe Shyam

> Arun

>

>

>

> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:*

> {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:*

> {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape

> {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Jai Sreekrishna!! Whether a medicine is taken with or without any knowledge about it, it will be effective. To obtain full effect (benefit), faith is important. Jai Sreekrishna!! GANAPATHY RAMAN <agraman62 wrote: I am not for any controversy or dispute.But still I wonder in what way by reading Gita change a person unless he/she has some basics in the subject.As a story it may or

not be appreciated but still the dilemma is there.Any comments from revered Dr?Simply saying some story wonderful won't carry any weight unless it is substantiated which is not done.Sorry,long time we hv discussions as I was not in station as I told you personally.Gita as an epitome preached by Krishna to Arjuna is ok.But do you think the same can be applied in the present fast moving life?This has been discussed earlier also and I don,t feel the preachings of Krishna can be taken at face value in the present day life.Opinions can differ.This is not in any way intented to underrate Gita but from practical angle will that survive?This is of course not intended to your opinion but only my thoughts.I am not interested in opening a pandoras box but I know you will be glad to get a reply. With warm regards, agraman.Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18 > wrote: Wonderful and very true.Arun P Pillai <arunppillay > wrote: OM NAMO NARAYANAYA This is beautiful story - An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Bhagavath Gita. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could. One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I try to read the Bhagavad Gita just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bhagavad Gita do?" The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied, "Take this coal

basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water." The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead. The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again. At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!" "So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket." The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out. "Son, that's what happens when you read the Bhagavad Gita. You might not understand or remember everything, but

when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Krishna in our lives." Radhe Shyam Arun Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at

Autos. Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger

new cars at Autos.