IndiaDivine.org

Clarification of translations

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The word aDhi has more than one meaning as all the words in sanskrit. that is why one should be careful in translating and that is the reason why it is not possible to undertand the meaning just by reading the translation.If so here is no need for any commentaries at all.Now the paricle 'aDhi' can be used either in the sense of 'over and above' or to mean 'supreme ' or to mean 'with reference to.' Sankara explains it in terms of the third while Ramanuja takes it to mean 'suppreme.' Either way it means the Supremeself which is over and above everything else.But to translate aDhyathma , adidhaiva etc as over self, over being etc does not help comprehension. Pleas read mycommentary on the slokas in Panchajanyam Hrshikesah , chapter10-Six questions and answers -adhyaya8. The correct word to mean over should be athi and not aDhi.Raghavan Rajagopal <raghavan.raj wrote: Dear Dr. Sarojam,I hope your recovery is complete. My best wishes to you.I have read with great interest your commentary on The Bhagavad Gita and have gained much and appreciate the time and effort you have made. Reading translations of The Gita, I find the words over-soul, over-being and over-worship used, see Chapter 8: verse 3; line 2 (over-soul), Verse 4, line 1 (over-being) , Verse 4; Line 3 (over-worship). In two of these places it looks as if the word over is used to signify the Sanskrit word "adhi".Would it be possible for you to clarify the use of the word 'over'. Is there a reason for this? Does this word imply something specific in this context? Any light you are able to shed on the use of this adjective is used will be appreciated.With Best Regards,Sincerely,R Raghavan Dr. Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit. web address: http://www.geocities.com/sarojram18 http://freewebs.com/gitaclass

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.