IndiaDivine.org

BAPS Swaminarayan Temple Opens in Toronto

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

TORONTO, CANADA, July 23, 2007: The new BAPS Shri Swaminarayan temple was declared not just a place of Hindu worship for Indo-Canadians, but a symbol of their new home in Canada. "It seems to me Toronto is the perfect place for this mandir (temple)," Premier Dalton McGuinty said before thousands of Indo-Canadians waving Indian and Canadian flags yesterday during the opening ceremony of their new temple near Highway 27 and Finch Ave. "This is a place where people from all over the world come together to create something beautiful - a strong and diverse society."Prime Minister Stephen Harper said India was a model for Canada as a democratic country that brings together varied languages and cultures. "Today we're celebrating one of our country's greatest strengths - our commitment to pluralism."The US$38.2 million temple is an architectural wonder. The walls, pillars and ceiling consist of

intricately crafted designs and statues. Under yesterday's gleaming sun, it looked like a sparkling crystal palace. All 24,000 of its parts were shipped first to India, where they were carved and polished by craftsmen. They were numbered and then shipped to Toronto, where more than 400 volunteers helped to assemble them. The ceiling of the front entrance alone is made up of 434 pieces. Amazingly, there is no steel skeleton holding the building up. All of its walls are load-bearing.The first stones were purchased less than three years ago, but actual construction time was only 18 months. The temple was funded entirely by donations. "It's a way to not just maintain our culture, but give to Canada," said Meera Sharma, an Indian-born journalist who hosts a local Punjabi radio show. The holy building is the first example of grandiose Indian architecture in Canada, said Mitesh Badiwala, a cardiac surgery resident who was among the hundreds of volunteers yesterday.

"Growing up in Canada, there wasn't a place I could come to to explain my Indian roots and share with the people who were close to me," he said. "Now, I don't need to use words. I just have to bring them here."As the temple can only hold 2,000 people, yesterday's ceremony was in a tent the size of a football field. Thousands of worshippers in colorful saris and kurtas packed in to watch traditional dances, prayers and speeches by dignitaries and their holy leader, Pramukh Swami Maharaj, from giant movie screens. Politicians from every party attended yesterday's ceremony, including Toronto Mayor David Miller, Liberal Leader Stephane Dion, and NDP Leader Jack Layton. Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) is a branch of Hinduism formed two centuries ago.

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free

account today.