IndiaDivine.org

PURE AND UNSHAKEBLE DEVOTION OF POONTHAM

Rate this topic

Guest guest

GURUVAYURAPPAN WILL LOOK LIKE A BUFFALO

Friends,

All of you might have heard about BRAHMASHRI.POONTHANAM

NAMBOOTHIRIPPAD and his Achanjala Nishkalanga Bhakthi towards Lord Guruvayurappan.(unshakeble and pure devotion ). In my previous letter, I had mentioned that he was a contemporary of BRAHMASHRI. MELPATHUR NARAYANA BHATTATHIRI who wrote the famous NARAYANEEYAM. I am narrating hereunder a story about his Bhakthi, He was not much educated as MEPATHUR in SANSKRIT, VEDAS AND PURANAS, nor he knew SANSKRIT VYAKARANA (Grammar ). In the beginning MELPATHUR had a contempt look on POONTHANAM since he was not educated like Bhattathiri.

Once it so happened that Poonthaanam went and asked Bhattathiri as to which form Lord GURUVAYURAPPAN was to be thought while praying, for which Bhattathiri in utter contempt replied " CHATTI ERUMAYEPPOLE" meaning He will be like a BUFFALO.

Brahmasri Poonathanam accepted this and started imagining LORD GURUVAYURAPPAN as a buffalo and started praying. The next day when the UTHSAVA MURTHY ( the idol meant for taking in procession outside the Sanctum Sanctorum ) was to be taken out from the Sanctum Sanctorum , it could not be taken out through the door. Immediately the MELSHANTHI ( Chief Priest ) and others rushed to Bhattathiri and asked him as to why the Idol could not be taken out. Bhattathiri was taken aback for a while but later said " KOMBU THATAYUKAYAANE. KURACHCHU CAHARICHCHU ETUKKUKA. ENNAAL VARUM" meaning that the horns were obstructing and just tilt a bit and remove the Idol. It will come. This shows the power of prayer of Poonthanam and his unshakable and pure devotion towards LORD GURUVAYURAPPAN.

Again while reciting SRI VISHNU SAHASRANAMAM , Poonthanam started chanting as " PADMANAABHO MARA PRABHU". Hearing this , Melpathur told Poonthaanam that it is not" MARA PROBHU" but you must recite as" AM ARA PRABHU". Immediately LORD GURUVAYURAPPAN as invisible (ASAREERI) thundered I am both MARA PRABHU and AMARAPRABHU. Lord thus accepted Poonthaanam's pure bhakthi..

Unfortunately, we know only the ILLAM'S name from which Poonthaanam hailed.

ULLUR. S. Parameswara Iyer has has given his name as Brahmadaththa and he was born in a Namboothiri Family who had no formal education in Vedas, Puranas, Sanskrit Etc. However it is a matter of debate by scholars

Regards to one and all.

" OM NOMO BHAGAVATHE VASUDEVAYA "

P.R.RADHAKRISHNAN