IndiaDivine.org

Chaithanya Mahaprabhu and Narayaneeyam .

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bhagavane, Guruvayoorappa! . Dear Bhaktas ,

Melpathur Narayana Bhattathiri's "Narayaneeyam" (a condensed version of Bhagavatham) was written in the year AD 1587 . This divine book has the stamp of approval by Bhagavan Sree Krishna. It describes Bhagavan's different Avataras and their pastimes .

Eminent Sages like Sree Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Swamy Sivananad confirmed that Chaithanya Mahaprabhu ( AD 4-10-1486 to 14-06-1533) , was an incarnation of Sree Krishna . Therefore, I used to get confused about not finding the name `Chaithanya' in ` Narayaneeyam `. When this query was raised to a few Vaishnava scholars, they clarified as follows :

……..QUOTE…….

" Narayaneeyam says in it's opening verse " Parabrahman , the embodiment of infinite bliss and pure consciousness , which is real and has no comparison , which is free from limitations of time and space , shines brightly in front of our eyes in the temple of Guruvayoor . Wonderful indeed is the fortune of mankind ".

Unlike other Avataras, in the Chaithanya incarnation , the Lord had hidden the identity and disguised it to be a Sannyasin . As the embodiment of renunciation, Chaithanya urged everyone to worship Krishna alone. He introduced self as a `Sat-Guru' and not an Avatara . Therefore, `Narayaneeyam' does not mention Him . However , it is a fact that during His stay in southern Bhaarath , Chaithanya re-energized Vaishnavism which ultimately created Narayaneeyam . We can find the essence of Lord Chaithanya's teachings in Narayaneeyam ; and a few of it are given below :

· Your ( Krishna's ) blissful form attracts the mind of the listeners. They become ecstatic , their hairs stand on it's end they get wet by their cold tears of ecstasy . ( Sloka 2.6).

· You ( Krishna) are the fortunate everything of Gopikas . ( Sloka 89.10).

· In this world , even a Chandala ( lowest class of men) if surrenders his mind, deeds, word , senses, means and life at Your lotus feet , thus benefits everyone . Same time, many Brahmanas having no interest in Your foot-service , ignore You and live as Atheists . `Mahatmas' arise not on the basis of caste but on pure Bhakty . ( Sloka 91.2).

· In this Kali-age, one can please You easily by nama-sankirtana . ( Sloka 92.6).

· Please bless me to sing about Your Avataras and pastimes…. let me laugh , cry , shout , sing , dance and wander in this world in solitude. (Sloka 91.5).

· Although, You have several types of Devotees , it is the prema-bhakti of Gopikas which You respect the most . (Sloka 93.10) . "

………..End of QUOTE……..

Swamy Sri Sivananda writes about Chaithanya Mahaprabhu

Lord Chaitanya was extremely dispassionate . He abandoned all sorts of sensual pleasures as poison . He was very strict in observing the rules of Sannyasa . He declined to grant an interview to Raja Pratap Rudra of Orissa, because it is a great sin for a Sannyasin to see a king . It is as sinful as looking at a woman . If a Sannyasin sees a Raja or a king, gradually he will be attached to the Raja . As the mind has the habit of imitating, the Sannyasin also will begin to lead a life of luxury and have a downfall eventually . That is the reason why a Sannyasin is prohibited from seeing a Raja . Chaithanya never saw a woman in the face . He did not allow any woman to approach Him . He slept on the ground with bare body .

Lord Chaithanya was a great Vaishnavite preacher . He disseminated the doctrines and principles of Vaishnavism far and wide . Nityananda, Sanatan, Rupa, Swarup Damodar, Advaitacharya, Sribas, Haridas, Murari, Gadadhar and others helped Chaitanya in His mission .

Lord Chaitanya's Last Words

Lord Chaithanya said, " Listen Swaroopa and Ramananda Raj ! The chanting of Krishna's Name is the chief means of attaining Krishna's feet in the Kali Yuga . Sankirtan of the Name is the supreme healer in the Iron Age . Sankirtan tantamounts to Vedic sacrifice . Sankirtan destroys sins and purifies the heart and creates Bhakti . Chant the name while sitting, standing, walking, eating, in bed and everywhere . The Name is omnipotent . You can repeat the Name at any place, at any time .

"Listen, Swaroopa and Ramananda ! I tell you about the mental attitude with which the Name should be recited .

" Hari's Name should always be chanted by him who must be humbler than a blade of grass (which is trodden upon); who is more patient, forbearing and charitable than a tree (which does not cry out even when it is cut down, and which does not beg for water even when scorched to death, but on the contrary, offers its treasure to whosoever seeks it, bears the sun and rain itself but protects those who take shelter under it from rain and sunshine) ; who, however worthy of esteem should, instead of claiming respect for himself, give respect to all (from a sense of God's immanency in all beings). He who thus takes Krishna's Name gets Krishna-prem ".

Lord Chaithanya became more humble in spirit and recited the following Sloka :-

" Oh Lord, I ask not for wealth or followers, or for poetic genius. May my motiveless devotion to Thee continue in me whenever I take birth."

Chaithanya attained Samadhi on the 14th June, 1533 .

Chaithanya Sikshashtaka

Although Lord Chaitanya was widely renowned as a scholar in His youth , He left only eight verses, called `Sikshashtaka' . These eight verses clearly reveal His mission and precepts . These supremely valuable prayers are translated herein.

Glory to the Sree Krishna Sankirtana, which cleanses the heart of all the dust accumulated for years and extinguishes the fire of conditional life, of repeated birth and death . This Sankirtana movement is the prime benediction for humanity at large because it spreads the rays of the benediction moon . It is the life of all transcendental knowledge . It increases the ocean of transcendental bliss, and it enables us to fully taste the nectar for which we are always anxious .

my Lord, Your holy name alone can render all benediction to living beings, and thus You have hundreds and millions of names like Krishna and Govinda . In these transcendental names You have invested all Your transcendental energies. There are not even hard and fast rules for chanting these names . O my Lord, out of kindness You enable us to easily approach You by Your holy names, but I am so unfortunate that I have no attraction for them .

One should chant the holy name of the Lord in a humble state of mind, thinking oneself lower than the straw in the street ; one should be more tolerant than a tree, devoid of all sense of false prestige and should be ready to offer all respect to others . In such a state of mind one can chant the holy name of the Lord constantly .

Almighty Lord, I have no desire to accumulate wealth, nor do I desire beautiful women, nor do I want any number of followers . I only want Your causeless devotional service birth after birth .

Son of Maharaja Nanda (Krishna) , I am Your eternal servitor, yet somehow or other I have fallen into the ocean of birth and death . Please pick me up from this ocean of death and place me as one of the atoms at Your lotus feet .

My Lord, when will my eyes be decorated with tears of love flowing constantly when I chant Your holy name ? When will my voice choke up, and when will the hairs of my body stand on end at the recitation of Your name ?

Govinda ! Feeling Your separation, I am considering a moment to be like twelve years or more . Tears are flowing from my eyes like torrents of rain, and I am feeling all vacant in the world in Your absence .

I know no one but Krishna as my Lord, and He shall remain so even if He handles me roughly by His embrace or makes me brokenhearted by not being present before me . He is completely free to do anything and everything, for He is always my worshipful Lord unconditionally .

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!!!

Krishnadaya