IndiaDivine.org

Hanuman's education

Rate this topic

Guest guest

!! Sri Rama Jayam !!

The sight of his beloved son lying helpless in his arms infuriated the wind-god. He drew in a mighty breath and sucked away all the air from the cosmos. "Let all those who have harmed Anjana's son choke to death," he thought out aloud. Predictably there was panic in the cosmos. Without air, life on every level was threatened. The gods, realizing their folly, went in unison to Vayu and asked for his forgiveness. To make amends they showered the following blessings and powers on the monkey child:

a). Brahma: "May you live as long as Brahma himself lives."

b). Vishnu: "May you live all your life as the greatest devotee of God."

c). Indra: "No weapon of any kind will wound or hit your body."

d). Agni: "Fire will never affect you."

e). Kala: "May death never court you."

f). All the Devas (gods): "None will ever equal you in strength and speed."

g). Again Brahma concluded the session by bestowing on Hanuman a power greater than even Vayu and Garuda, and endowed him with a speed faster than even the mightiest wind. Thus pacified, Vayu deva restored air into the cosmos and Hanuman was returned to his parents.

It was not an easy task for mother Anjana & father Kesari to fetch a proper guru for their darling son. The great rishis & siddhas had advised them to allow child Hanuman himself to find preceptor of his choice.

As he grew up, Hanuman sought to educate himself and for this purpose he chose Lord Surya (the sun god) as his very guru. Addressing to Lord Surya, Hanuman thus said : "You see everything there is to see in the universe and you know everything there is to know. Please accept me as your pupil." At first, Surya hesitated. "I don't have the time," he said. "During the day I ride across the sky, and at night I am too tired to do anything."

Undeterred by Surya's refusal, Hanuman said "Then teach me as you ride across the sky during the day. I will fly in front of your chariot, facing you from dawn to dusk."

Hanuman enlarged his body; he placed one leg on the eastern ranges and the other on the western ranges and with his face turned toward the scorching sun. Pleased by Hanuman's unaltered persistence, Surya accepted.

Hanuman's phenomenal concentration took him only 60 hours to master the scriptures. Thus Hanuman flew before the chariot of the sun god, withstanding the awesome glare, until he became well versed in the four books of knowledge (the Vedas), the six systems of philosophies (darshanas), the sixty-four arts or kalas and the one hundred and eight occult mysteries of the Tantras. Nevertheless, it was Hanuman who laid the foundation of SURYA NAMASKARAM - salutation to god Surya in the steps of twelve.

In Bhagavad GITA, supreme Lord Krishna make a special note to Arjuna that the secret knowledge of GITA was first revealed to Lord SURYA. Thus, it makes perfect sense to believe that Hanuman is also well versed in Bhagavad Gita as dictated by lord Surya. Hanuman's fortune infinitely multiplies when he hears to the same knowledge from Krishna himself alongwith Arjuna.

Salutations to the dearmost servant of Sri Sita-Ramachandra ....

Hare Krishna

Hare Rama